Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2024 USA Olympic Trials

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2024 USA Olympic Trials
    Posted: 03/20/2024 at 9:59pm
Has Day 1’s groups/draws/schedule been posted anywhere?  

Omnipong does not have it, nor does this page https://www.usatt.org/2024-us-olympic-team-trials
 except for a “general schedule” that links to a schedule with no player names in it (like who in which group or who draws who)..

***Edit: never mind, the day 1 groups are now posted on Omnipong under "event results" ***

(I didn't see UI option to delete this post, if someone knows how to delete, let me know)

Edited by mmxx - 03/22/2024 at 8:47am
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2024 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by mmxx mmxx wrote:

Has Day 1’s groups/draws/schedule been posted anywhere?  

Omnipong does not have it, nor does this page https://www.usatt.org/2024-us-olympic-team-trials
 except for a “general schedule” that links to a schedule with no player names in it (like who in which group or who draws who)..

***Edit: never mind, the day 1 groups are now posted on Omnipong under "event results" ***

(I didn't see UI option to delete this post, if someone knows how to delete, let me know)

Please no need to delete the post.  And we can use this thread to discuss the action.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2024 at 8:44am
Ok, I changed the thread topic.

On that note, this article 
https://www.usatt.org/news/2024/march/08/2024-us-olympic-team-trials-table-tennis-participant-and-spectator-guide says this on the US Men's quota status to Paris: 

"The Men's Team did not secure a team quota spot for Paris 2024. To represent the US in the Olympics, athletes must obtain a quota in Singles. The opportunity for this will be at the Pan Am Regional Olympic Trials in Lima, Peru, from May 14-18, 2024. The top two players from the U.S. Olympic Trials in West Monroe will earn the chance to compete at the Pan Am Regional Qualifier."

Can anyone clarify whether this means that the US men have already secured 2 Singles quota for Paris' Men's Singles event, or does it mean that US men have not secured ANY quota for Paris' Men's TT event (Team event or Men's singles)? 

If the latter is true, it would mean the top 2 finishers of this weekend are not guaranteed to participate in Paris Games yet? they'd need to earn the Singles quota in May in Peru in order to go to Paris? 

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2024 at 9:14am
Yes, no one has qualified on the men's side for the Olympics, whoever wins this will still have to go qualify for the Olypmics via one of the qualification routes.
Cybershape Carbon
hassancooking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassancooking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2024 at 8:52pm
I hope that umpire has a bad weeks sleep and eats dry food for dinner. If youre reading this. You stink!
Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2024 at 9:21pm
That's fascinating that for the men's side, the winners of this may not even go to the Olympics!
talltimber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talltimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2024 at 10:54pm
Kanak is back. Will be interesting to see if he can get back to the Olympics.
Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2024 at 10:46am
Stage 2: No upsets on the men's side. On the women's side, Hannah Song advances over Jessica Reyes-Lai!
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2024 at 3:25pm
Anyone know whether it’s the top 2 or top 3 athletes from this weekend’s trials that may have a shot to go to Paris (assuming they do well enough in the Pan Am qualifier in Peru)? 
I mean, Is there still possibility to earn a quota for Paris’ Men’s Team Event (which would mean 3 athletes can go), or is Peru only about earning the 2 men’s Singles spots for Paris? 

Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2024 at 8:06pm
1) jha
2) jishang
3) kumar
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2024 at 8:07pm
top 2

rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Roun View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2024 at 8:50pm
Does Hugo Calederano have to play in Pan Am qualifier or is he given direct entry  ?
If Kanak is on Hugo's side of the draw , Kanak won't make it ? 
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2024 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Roun Roun wrote:

Does Hugo Calederano have to play in Pan Am qualifier or is he given direct entry  ?

Why do you say that? They played at the 2022 Pan Am games and Kanak won.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2024 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Roun Roun wrote:

Brazil has qualified and I think Canada as well so. It is countries like Argentina with Cifuentes that Kanak might be worried with. But Kanak is a good enough player that it will always come down to who plays better on that day, not some general idea of being better or worse. 
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2024 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

1) jha
2) jishang
3) kumar

This is day one. There will be another elimination on day two and then the points will be totalled.
Cybershape Carbon
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 5:44am
Did the U.S Men lose to Canada to qualify or did the disqualification in Busan cause the team from qualifying?
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 11:02am
If memory serves, USA men didn't do well at the Pan Am games (possible qualifier) and then the disqualification at the Worlds finished them off as a team (second possible qualifier).
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 11:09am
Also if I remember correctly, even if US had not been DQ’ed in Busan, they would have needed to reach final 8 to get an Olympic quota, and their bracket had China in their way to the top 8 (had they taken England’s place if I didn’t remember wrong).

Don’t recall the draw for KAZ and their path to top 8
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 11:22am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

If memory serves, USA men didn't do well at the Pan Am games (possible qualifier) and then the disqualification at the Worlds finished them off as a team (second possible qualifier).
The US men failed to qualify a team due to their poor performance at the 2023 Pan American *Championship*:

Kudos to our women for qualifying a team!
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Outer, Mizuno Q Quality 2.1mm FH/BH
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 5:47pm
Nikhil just beat Jishan in semi and Barbara on the broadcast said that means Nikhil will go to Peru. But isn't that premature if not incorrect?  Even if assuming the outcome where Jishan will beat Xiang Jing and win 3rd place today, and assuming Nikhil loses to Kanak in the final later, that would mean Jishan and Nikhil would tie in total points (sat and sun) and split the 2 head-to-head matches, then a play-off match should be played between them according to the trials prospectus to decide the tiebreak / who places 2nd, no? 

Only if Nikhil beats Kanak in today's final can you say he will definitely go to Peru (as he'd get more points than Jishan two days combined), isn't that right?
Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 8:03pm
Nikhil wins the spot over Jishan even though they split their matches. The tie breaker (according to Jimmy Butler) is head to head games. Jishan won the first match 4-3, but Nikhil won the second 4-2 so he wins the tie breaker. If the game scores had been the same, the tie breaker would have been points.
dewnyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dewnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by mmxx mmxx wrote:

Also if I remember correctly, even if US had not been DQ’ed in Busan, they would have needed to reach final 8 to get an Olympic quota, and their bracket had China in their way to the top 8 (had they taken England’s place if I didn’t remember wrong).

Don’t recall the draw for KAZ and their path to top 8

KAZ played India in the first knockout round and lost 3-2.
India played against South Korea after that, in the round of 16.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 9:19pm
Did they skip some of the women's matches at the end today?
dewnyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dewnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 9:20pm

I know Amy vs Rachel was moved to table 2 (and the USATT channel) while the men’s final was going on
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2024 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by dewnyc dewnyc wrote:

I know Amy vs Rachel was moved to table 2 (and the USATT channel) while the men’s final was going on

That must be it. Yesterday they funneled all the matches to Peacock, I thought they would do the same today.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2024 at 12:31am
I think after they realized that all the fanfare was in the two semis between 2nd and 3rd place, the other matches were no longer interesting.
Cybershape Carbon
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2024 at 4:53pm

Edited by mmxx - 03/25/2024 at 8:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic