Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

current no.1 at our club vs BOZ HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 3:18pm
Do you have any special rating software in Australia?

If you are 1700, then this would correspond to ~2400 as per ratingscentral.com videos.
Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I don't go in for this 'constructive feedback' rubbish, its either good advice that is correct for you or not, So i'm not going to make a preface apology just incase you don't like it, you either do or don't, I don't care.

And this is why nearly every thread you enter deteriorates into a sh!t-throwing contest.

First, I wasn't making a "preface apology". My preface was simply explaining my presumption of critiquing someone who is a better player than I. It's called having manners. You should read about it sometime. I understand the notion of the "putting advice out there, take it or leave it" attitude. While you feign that is your attitude, it comes across more like "I'm rude and condescending and when called out for it I claim to be offering neutral advice, take it or leave it". Sorry bud, but that's b.s. You can blame other people for being "too sensitive", etc, all you want. The bottom line is, if you keep getting the same results in different situations then eventually you must see that the common denominator is yourself.

If you truly don't care whether people like your advice, then why give it? Obviously you do care, or you wouldn't bother repeatedly taking the time to offer it. And, if you cannot deliver it in a cordial way, then perhaps you should keep it to yourself.

I know, I know--everyone says "this is the internet, people are rude". But that's not a justification to me. We came out of the jungle a long time ago. Ironically, civility is what has facilitated the development of technology that lets us treat each other like crap from a distance on the internet. Well, forgive me for having standards, but that's cowardice. If you want to pound on your chest and let everyone know how great of a tough, detached, alpha douche bag you are, then go back to the jungle where there are some apes who might care. This ape is not impressed. Big%20smile
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Its almost impossible to tell what someone is rated by watching a vid and it really doesn't matter.

You are doing something right if you can brush loop like that and have that much touch and control with your bh considering you're using Tenergy and Ishilon...
I was using solcion on my bh - thats why they were often blocked into the net and i had to work like a dog to get the ball over the net
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

WOW! BEST...MATCH...EVER! Boz, you are truly awesome, I can't give you any advice since your game is already perfect, it is like watching the pro's play! If I didn't know any better, I would have to say that you have copied them! Great game! Or, the honest version, from what I've seen of USATT 1700, you are above that level, but what do I know, I'm simple a low level player trying to learn from those who are better then me.

as I said there are insensitive people sarcastic cheap wit because they have nothing to contribute -

this person believes I sit and try to make my game the same as the professional players" 

Speedplay if you would be so kind to give some feedback about how to improve, I would be very greatful.  I am asking for honest contructive criticism,  Im not interested in any kind of sarcastic put downs such as your wow your so great trash. 

I believe I have commented on some of your other videos recently, constructive criticism, but it wasn't appreciated since it didn't match your expectations.

In this video, your bh is such a strength it is almost a weakness. You even step around some to use it for your put away shot, were I believe that you have more power in your fh and should be able to use it for those.

Your blocks needs some work as well, you miss a lot of blocks against this guy, which is strange cause if you chose to counter instead of blocking, it seems you are doing fine. This is why I think you need to work on your blocks, as this would perhaps allow you to stay a little closer to the table, which would reduce the amount of time your opponent have.

As for the 1700 USATT mentioning, I think we both agree that you are above that, cause, as I've told you before, your game looks a lot better then any 1700 (al though I think it was 1600 last time we talked about it) rated player I have seen.
much appreciated.

I realise I overuse my backhand and yes I even went wide to use it.  I don't know about you guys but some days things go on the table and others they dont.  That day against this player - my backhand was landing on the table consistantly my forehand was not (often doesnt as much either) as a result couple with the fact that I really wanted to win at the cost of an ugly style - I used backhand.

No excuses my fh has always been weaker
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 4:58pm
Yes, your bh looks to be far more consistent then your fh, so I understand 8and support) the idea to use your bh to open up the rallies with it, but once the rally is on, you have more put away power on your fh. Still, if it don't land on the table, it doesn't matter how hard you hit it.

@APW, what is this about the stance? I've been told to keep my left leg slightly in front of the right leg when I hit fh (being a right hander) and now you say that I should have a square stance? Or, have I got confused, are you talking about the bh, cause then it makes sense.
The holy grail
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 5:04pm

Yes, your bh looks to be far more consistent then your fh, so I understand 8and support) the idea to use your bh to open up the rallies with it, but once the rally is on, you have more put away power on your fh. Still, if it don't land on the table, it doesn't matter how hard you hit it.

@APW, what is this about the stance? I've been told to keep my left leg slightly in front of the right leg when I hit fh (being a right hander) and now you say that I should have a square stance? Or, have I got confused, are you talking about the bh, cause then it makes sense.

No, yr f/hand stance is correct, and up to the table, it is fine for a b/hand too, but off the table, or when you go for more power on the b/hand, you need to bring yr left leg back (or yr right foot forward) to give room for a backswing, or your left thigh will be in the way.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 5:05pm

Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

However, a small thing I would add concerns your footwork. Overall, it looks nice; you move well, etc. However, you are almost always adopting a backhand stance--which of course makes sense since you prefer your backhand.

I'm just pointing this out because if you want to develop your forehand, then you need to be in a position that will facilitate it. Obviously, using your forehand when in backhand stance is going to give you problems. So maybe change your footwork a bit by staying in forehand stance as much as possible, round the corner more frequently, etc. Your lateral movement is really good, it just seems that it's going the wrong way--toward your backhand instead of your forehand.

I don't go in for this 'constructive feedback' rubbish, its either good advice that is correct for you or not, So i'm not going to make a preface apology just incase you don't like it, you either do or don't, I don't care.

The above advice is half right. You can get away with playing with yr left leg slightly forward when up to the table (to facillitate an easy f/hand), but not when playing off the table because you cannot generate a backswing because you have no room, your left thigh will be in the way. Square or right foot forward will allow room, and you also have the benefit of extra time as you are off the table.Smile
ok apw - you didnt need any kind of introduction here because the part in bold is constructive criticism, I really appreciate the part in bold.  Constructive means giving advice in a way that helps someone improve.  I believe you are attempting to do it.  If I accept it or not of course thats up to me.

could you explain what you mean by it? in regards to you can get away with it at the table - so should I do it?

confused.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 5:09pm
oh and while typing the last response you and speedplay answered some of the confusion
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 5:11pm
See at 2:31 right foot forward allows room for backswing. You can play left foot slightly forward or square up the table because the necessity to produce a stroke is reduced with an early taken ball.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Do you have any special rating software in Australia?

If you are 1700, then this would correspond to ~2400 as per ratingscentral.com videos.
I believe those videos are very rough guides to help get the first ranking for a player.  I believe I am a 1700 player because as Ive said before I can beat people up to 2000 and be beaten by people as low as 1400.

Usually in these situations it is caused mainly by the other players low frequency of play in tournaments. 

1700 is the ratingscentral.com score - i think the software we use for it is magello? something like that
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

And this is why nearly every thread you enter deteriorates into a sh!t-throwing contest.

First, I wasn't making a "preface apology". My preface was simply explaining my presumption of critiquing someone who is a better player than I. It's called having manners. You should read about it sometime. I understand the notion of the "putting advice out there, take it or leave it" attitude. While you feign that is your attitude, it comes across more like "I'm rude and condescending and when called out for it I claim to be offering neutral advice, take it or leave it". Sorry bud, but that's b.s. You can blame other people for being "too sensitive", etc, all you want. The bottom line is, if you keep getting the same results in different situations then eventually you must see that the common denominator is yourself.

If you truly don't care whether people like your advice, then why give it? Obviously you do care, or you wouldn't bother repeatedly taking the time to offer it. And, if you cannot deliver it in a cordial way, then perhaps you should keep it to yourself.

I know, I know--everyone says "this is the internet, people are rude". But that's not a justification to me. We came out of the jungle a long time ago. Ironically, civility is what has facilitated the development of technology that lets us treat each other like crap from a distance on the internet. Well, forgive me for having standards, but that's cowardice. If you want to pound on your chest and let everyone know how great of a tough, detached, alpha douche bag you are, then go back to the jungle where there are some apes who might care. This ape is not impressed. Big%20smile
anton I dont care if you are a lower ranked player - politeness is nice -

I thought apw was refering to me, but maybe it was to your start,

Mate take it or leave it - he winds people up - if not me then you - but I do believe his first post on this thread was much more of an improvement.  I see where you are coming from,

Thanks Apw and speedplay - I believe we maybe all going to be friends soon?
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 5:25pm
So, are we on for the funniest moment ever, guessing ratings? =) My guess is, Boz isn't lower then 2000 according to the Usatt system and I don't think he is higher then 2200. Obviously, this should be taken with a pinch of salt, since I'm terrible at guessing people's level.

@APW, I see, then I agree with you, the leg on the side you make your stroke should always be slightly behind the other leg.

Boz, since you so strongly prefer to play your bh, I nust ask, it looks quite spinny, but do you have a flatter stroke to use as well? Whis would probably allow you to go for more speed and make it easier to kill from the bh, besides, mixing up the spin will make it harder for the opponent to block it back with good consistency.
The holy grail
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 5:28pm

Thanks Apw and speedplay - I believe we maybe all going to be friends soon?

Let's hope so, cause even if it was fun to throw some flames around, this is more helpful to our game.

Btw, if I haven't said this before, I'm also a low level player, just so everyone knows and don't think I'm trying to act all pro here, cause I'm not. Would probably get crushed by Boz if we ever played each other, but I would still enjoy it.
The holy grail
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 5:54pm
as I said earlier - I use tenergy 05 both sides normally - but I gave solcion on backhand a go for a few months to see how I would go against great servers.

Against average servers GIVE ME BACK MY 05
Against spinny stuff GIVE ME ANY CONTROL RUBBER

You can see I made about 10 points not from him over hitting the table but under hitting - not only that he knows I have one of the spinniest backhands in our club - and to suddenly get very little, (didnt tell him I changed rubber) lol

Im using 05 & trialling 25 - im not sold on the 25 yet - its definately better at receiving spinny serves but I love 05 so much - with 25 I have no confidence in looping - used 25 for a week on fh because that is what has always been weak (i thought a lower throw rubber might help) but nah it just made me be more passive drive hit the ball slowly to get the ball on the table.  I will give 25 a week on backhand to give my final verdict - yay or throw away
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 6:32pm
LOL,

If I spent the money buying Tenergy, I would make sure to learn how to use it, cause there is no way I would throw it away, regardless of how bad I played with it.

Didn't think there was such a big difference between the 05 and 25.

Back to the video, yes, I noticed that he blocked several of your bh loops in the net, which indicates that they had less spin then expected, but your entire bh stroke looks so much more focused on spin then speed. Mine is roughly the same (al though at a much lower level) and I struggle to hit bh winners. Simple can not generate good speed from bh.
The holy grail
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 10:58pm
Boz, I have a good BH and tried out a friend's bat with T05 and T64. Both make geat spin for openers. T05 a little better close to the table for spin. T64 seemed to have better power for BH drives and from a meter or so out. Have you given T64 a try, even if it is from a mate's bat? I think you would like T64 on BH overall. I like T05 as a FH opener rubber. Great spin and it stays on the table on the openers. Too bad it is so expensive.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 11:26pm

I am the guy in light blue -

LOLLOLLOL

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 11:40pm
boz we have a common point. you have a decent fh but you are lazy so you rely on a good bh because you think it is hip to play more your bh.
remember: kreanga himself says that fh is the way to go so we should both think of moving our feet more and go for the fh more often when we can.
Another common point between us is beer. I like IPA the best and you?
I started running 1.5 monts ago 3 miles 3 times a week adding a mile a week and i am in my 7 miles week now. I'll stay at there for a few weeks until I go down from 227 pounds (now 214) to 190. I'll add a mile a week from there all the way to a 1/2 then full marathon, all done with a VERY slow pace (under 12 min per mile with no stop so I can breathe ok and talk if I want). My point is as soon as I get stamina back (it's already happening now) I go for my fh more often and make more points of course.
I hate myself when I do 3 or 4 beautiful strong bh loops that do not go through the blocker only because I was too lazy to give him/her a decent  and unblockable fh.
CAPISCE?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Boz, I have a good BH and tried out a friend's bat with T05 and T64. Both make geat spin for openers. T05 a little better close to the table for spin. T64 seemed to have better power for BH drives and from a meter or so out. Have you given T64 a try, even if it is from a mate's bat? I think you would like T64 on BH overall. I like T05 as a FH opener rubber. Great spin and it stays on the table on the openers. Too bad it is so expensive.

I dont know what is tenergy 64 - lol check the above link - thanks bh

as for Fatt mate I know I am lazy - if I were fit Id probably go for forehands - thats well spotted - I wouldnt run though - I dont believe its healthy for the joints, if I start up physical stamina training I would go mountain biking.  (not healthy for your skull if you stak it!

as for beer I dont know that abbreviation. 

My favorite beer although i never drink is Boddington (an English Ale APW probably knows all too well)

Aussie beers cooper pale Ale
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 11:50pm
Argh, better make yourself a gift - order 20 cheap rubbers from ebay and glue them on a returnboard. Half an hour practice is better than 7-miles distance in terms of loosing pounds. If there are two of you playing on the same side, as in squash, the results will surprise you.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 11:51pm
as for Kreanga I just watched a youtube clip of him playing an older chinese guy who practically didnt move away from the bh court once and made Kreanga run a marathon left right left right

it looked like a lame training video
Personally more than any other player Ive watched I reckon Kreanga was hurt by the ban
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 11:53pm
ipa = indian pale ale

when British brought beer to India on boats the beer would not make the trip. they had then to boost the beer with hops so it made the trip ok hence the bitter taste of ipa.

ok let's go back to your match which contains a lot of material to talk about to help us, the developing players.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 11:56pm
think i heard of it -

only thing im developing in a beer gut - my game is not improving because of

1. playing less
2. more unfit

both interelated both must be changed for me to reach my previous goal of 2000
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2009 at 11:59pm

as for Kreanga I just watched a youtube clip of him playing an older chinese guy who practically didnt move away from the bh court once and made Kreanga run a marathon left right left right

it looked like a lame training video
Personally more than any other player Ive watched I reckon Kreanga was hurt by the ban

I meant that the one man who goes broke on his bh all the time says that fh is better...
Do you remember that match in the 2003 ws against that old spanish / chinese guy?  it was quite the save for kreanga. steel balls all the way defending a match point!!!
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2009 at 12:46am
it was against He Zhi Wen.. great match, saves match points..
Kreanga went on to the semis before being knocked out by Joo, methinks..
The final we all know is Joo vs Schlager and Schlager won..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2009 at 1:03am

I know this is off topic but I have often though about it - what the difference between a forum and a chat site?

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2009 at 1:05am
I just added a chat box to my site wondering how people will interact differently when being faced with more frequent replies and less time to react

i think my chat box is dodgy because i think people could impersonate someone else - ill see how it goes and may get rid of it if negative stuff happens like that

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2009 at 1:10am

I know this is off topic but I have often though about it - what the difference between a forum and a chat site?

a forum is a site where you post things that you think will serve the future generations while a chat site is a site where you are doing your best to produce those future generations.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2009 at 1:48pm

My favorite beer although i never drink is Boddington (an English Ale APW probably knows all too well)

Ah 'Boddies'  nice and smooth, not too strong.. You've just gone up a notch in the APW friendship table (its small)LOL
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2009 at 2:00pm

So, are we on for the funniest moment ever, guessing ratings? =) My guess is, Boz isn't lower then 2000 according to the Usatt system and I don't think he is higher then 2200. Obviously, this should be taken with a pinch of salt, since I'm terrible at guessing people's level.

I've allways thought that both Boz and myself are somewhere in the 2000-2200 ratings (US style) based on alot of Videos I've seen of US players I'm pretty sure I'm in the 2100 ish range. The Australian ratings are different and not directly comparable. I'm pretty sure about this so no salt is needed :). I also beleive that everywhere in the world a good club player in a small city will be rated 2100-2200 US depending on the size of the city. Above 2200 US I think is were you can start to compete in at the higher grades in larger (capital) cities. And also if you are below 2000 US then there's no chance you are the best player in your city unless you are from a very tiny little town. How does that sound for accurate :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic