Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whats wrong with this FH loop ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2010 at 12:02pm
Thanks all for your tips and suggestion, you pointed out some very valid points.

1) Back swing too much
2) Lethargic right foot
3) Follow through is too much, need to keep it short
4) Waist rotation problem, right foot needs to be a little back
5) Less foot hopping
6) Arm stay up there too long, need to get back to ready position faster
7) Ball needs to be a bit more to the side of body, not in front when hitting
(inside the triangle)
8) Need more consistent stroke
9) Placement needs improvement
10)Consistent wrist and racket angle

This should be a good long list for me to work on, hopefully I will have a before and after video to post here. Maybe a few months to get this right.

Thanks all , you guys are great!!!
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2010 at 12:11pm
Now make sure you run through that checklist each time before you serve or return serve! :)
I would add, racket angle consistent through stroke and consistent plane of stroke.  I feel like sometimes you're trying to come over the ball during the stroke.  Not always, but sometimes.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2010 at 12:23pm
Well, it's a practice so naturally you expect the ball to come back around your right corner and everything - so the critique about too much back swing and follow-through is almost pointless. However, generally, as you progress, you need to work on recovery - that is returning your racket to a relatively neutral position a tad faster. Again, in 20 secs of practice loops I cannot say anything bad about your footwork, because the exercise doesn't call for you to change your stance.

Just try (gradually) to hit it faster, to get more varied returns from your sparring partner (if he can) and then you will see much more clearly what is lacking.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2010 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Now make sure you run through that checklist each time before you serve or return serve! :)
I would add, racket angle consistent through stroke and consistent plane of stroke.  I feel like sometimes you're trying to come over the ball during the stroke.  Not always, but sometimes.

Its like a pre-flight check, so much to think about, so little time to react to fast incoming ball! Sleepy
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2010 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Well, it's a practice so naturally you expect the ball to come back around your right corner and everything - so the critique about too much back swing and follow-through is almost pointless. However, generally, as you progress, you need to work on recovery - that is returning your racket to a relatively neutral position a tad faster. Again, in 20 secs of practice loops I cannot say anything bad about your footwork, because the exercise doesn't call for you to change your stance.

Just try (gradually) to hit it faster, to get more varied returns from your sparring partner (if he can) and then you will see much more clearly what is lacking.

Thats very true, the recovery part needs lots of improvement, and I already know how to fix that. My coach been telling me that but I just don't believe it until i see it on video. ouch!
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2010 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

But if you think about it, it really doesn't have to be.  If your upper body is balance between the legs, it can rotate without leaning forward.  And having your weight too much on one foot HURTS mobility, no matter what sport you're in.  What if you have to move to your left?  It can't help to have your left foot planted.

I was a little skeptical at first, but the more I think about it the more I agree with the patt author on this one.
 Your weight should only be on either foot momentarily, not 'planted'
Have a look at this guy, he seems to know what he's doing...

The Older I get, The better I was.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

[QUOTE=razortt] [QUOTE=APW46] I think the topic starter is leading people to assume they need to offer you advice on your technique, IMO your technique is sound anyway, you have a good template, you just need to practice as much as you can. I coach an awful lot, I have my own coaching school, and I find it hard to spot anything at all wrong with your technique that is important, and the things that are such as stroke recovery, will improve naturally as your game matures.

I agree.  Actually, razortt looks to have reached a sufficient level that problems only become obvious when they have to move or make transitions to get to a ball they want to loop. 
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2010 at 2:37am
+1000000 to baal.

now that you have the basic stroke in...it's time to do a 2 point drill (bh corner and mid table). basically loop the balls from both of those positions and work on the footwork and see how it feels when you get stressed/rushed.

ps: or you can focus on adding more power to the shots now =)
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2010 at 2:50am
Here's someone hungry for appreciation!!!

okay you have a decent loop...
1. but with your wrist bent you are asking for shoulder and wrist injury and early retirement.
2. with that much closed blade angle, under pressure situation... i guess you might be missing the ball quite often.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 3:47am
I disagree with PATT on weight transfer.  If you only use your legs for a steady base and rotate from the waiste or hips, you motion follows an arc around your body.  By adding weight transfer you can not only add power to the shot, but you lengthen your stroke in a linear fashion, which increases the consistency of stroke.  And it certainly seems that when I study videos of top pros, they use weight transfer whenever they have the opportunity.

Now, having said all that, I would like to comment on razortt's footwork and weight transfer.  Like most people, I think his stroke looks pretty good and just needs more practice.  However, that footwork/weight transfer looks weird, and that's why some people talked about "hopping" and others talked about "draggin the right foot."  What I see is that instead of a smooth shifting of weight back and forth (where he should keep his balance at all times), he sort of rests on his back (right) foot and then jumps forward onto his left foot.  That's why the right foot drags: because he "sits" on it.  And the hopping appears because he then pushes off with the back foot in a sort of jump onto the front (left) foot.

Then I thought about why this might be occuring and it seems to me he's focusing too much on trying to perfect his FH stroke in isolation from the rest of the game.  I mean, if he practiced his FH stroke in drills that require a lot of footwork, he'd be forced to keep his balance more even, which would prevent the whole dragging/hopping thing.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2010 at 4:00am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Nothing. I'm sure it will develop into a well defined asset to your game as it progresses. You could squeeze yrself some extra time by recovering instantly instead of in sync with the rally tempo.

yep;
also try to have some elliptical stroke so your fh does not end into zero speed. the idea is to take advantage of the momentum of your fh to come back and get ready for whatever; for that elliptical shape to happen the upper body will bend a bit to the left.
that article about connection between strokes was so cool!!! where is it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic