Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first video on mytt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first video on mytt
    Posted: 05/25/2010 at 10:44am
After getting my new phone, I finally found a convenient way to record vids of myself playing.  I am aware of most of the flaws in my game, but feel free to add constructive criticism if you wishThumbs%20Up

This wasn't supposed to be too serious of a game and I went for some really risky and just plain stupid shots in this video.  Sorry for the shaky moments in the video as humans don't make good tripods.  And also sorry in advance if the video can get a bit boring, I just don't let my opponents open Big%20smile  Also so many service mistakes bahhhh....Angry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRCL3teiMZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPkB_Vv7GCM

Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Sponsored Links

Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 10:56am
Ok so which one is you? Embarrassed
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 10:57am
Well...im not gonna call myself cpen guy LOL LOL

So I'm the guy wearing all the Joola stuff
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 10:58am
r u using h3 neo? or regular h3 comm?
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 10:59am
NEO
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 11:09am
Sorry my bad, how come ur in the Heartclub and you keep looking at ur blade when u make a mish*t? :p

Ur arm movement looks a bit stiff in the shoulder and elbow in my eyes, doesnt look like a natural stroke.  Where u start and end ur stroke is good though.
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 11:11am
wat kind of a phone did u get, the camera on it seems pretty good?

also how are u liking h3neo com 40... and how diff is it from 38/39 if u ever played with them?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 11:17am
It's probably from habit.  Also it's when I think back to how come I screwed up that shot.  I also found a flaw in the Violin today.  I've always known about this flaw but I really found out today.

Ya I get the comment about how stiff I look when I play a lot.  Come to think of it, I haven't thought of a way to fix that.  I think I have some ideas and actually I think its my recovery that makes it look more stiff than it actually is.  I can't warm up with that guy since I start getting balls to my bh after 3 balls or so.

This match was quite fun cuz every time he tried to do a kill shot, I would block it back LOLLOLLOL
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 11:18am
Congratulations on your first video. You seem to have a fairly cramped space compared to what I'm used to =[

As you said you're aware of a lot of things to work on, the 2 main things i noticed was that you're left leg wasn't bent enough in your forehand shot, which had you dipping you shoulder too much and causing your balance to be going to the right instead of forward when you swing.
And, as you mentioned serves. You could easily get 3 points better per game with some better serves. (more spin, more variety, good placement etc)

Well done
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 11:23am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

wat kind of a phone did u get, the camera on it seems pretty good?

also how are u liking h3neo com 40... and how diff is it from 38/39 if u ever played with them?

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Big%20smile

I actually really like this sheet of comm 40.  It has never really disappointed me and it complements my hitting style well.  I've used 38 degree provincial which is equivalent in hardness of 39 comm and i dread it.  It's way too soft for my taste and I just cant hit the same way.  I really want to get a hold of some 39 degree provincials.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

Congratulations on your first video. You seem to have a fairly cramped space compared to what I'm used to =[

As you said you're aware of a lot of things to work on, the 2 main things i noticed was that you're left leg wasn't bent enough in your forehand shot, which had you dipping you shoulder too much and causing your balance to be going to the right instead of forward when you swing.
And, as you mentioned serves. You could easily get 3 points better per game with some better serves. (more spin, more variety, good placement etc)

Well done

I always seem to put my weight on my right leg.  Haven't really concentrated on fixing that but it's better than how it used to be.

I think my service used to be a lot better before.  Although it doesn't look like it, my serves actually have more spin that it seems.  I need to practice serves for a few hours and get my old technique back.  Just can't keep it as low and spinny anymore these days.

Thanks
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 11:57am
how about emphasize on the training of 'third ball attack'..
(becoz both u seem lacking the urgency to attack when necessary)

- training of looping backspin & topspin
( serve and attack ) (remember to use ur fore arm)

nice play!!! 
loopool View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 12:06pm
i want the xperia x10..didnt know it was out in the US already..
go android!!!

TBS
FH: TENERGY 05
BH: XIOM VEGA PRO

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by loopool loopool wrote:

i want the xperia x10..didnt know it was out in the US already..
go android!!!

i have the international version.  sadly, i use ATT which uses a different frequency for 3G and didnt know that before i bought the phone. 

the X10a (a for americas) will be released later.  i wouldnt want that one anyway as i hate it when providers brand and just molest the phones, adding their own software and just junk i hate.

im a diehard SE fan so this was a must have, but HTC seems to be releasing better phones for the money and just OS.  andriod 2.2 is already out and i doubt the X10 will have a firmware update for that.  i only know it will have an update for 2.1
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

how about emphasize on the training of 'third ball attack'..
(becoz both u seem lacking the urgency to attack when necessary)

- training of looping backspin & topspin
( serve and attack ) (remember to use ur fore arm)

nice play!!! 

i think that opponent returns my shots very strange.  most people return my shots differently which prevents me from 3rd balling him as much or at all.  i just felt like flicking except i screwed up a lot.

i will keep this in mind though.  im just working on a different aspect of my game so i lose the urgency to 3rd ball.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 12:33pm
the reason why you look stiff is b/c your arm is leading before you turn your shoulder...after that, then you turn your shoulder.

if you want a fluid movement on the fh. do what i tell all the people who want to learn that famous straight arm loop....take some dumbells...work out your right arm until you can no longer move it well (don't kill urself) then try to loop as hard as you can.

you will then be forced to use your entire body so that the ball barely makes it over the net with good pace

you should seriously give it a try one day and see if it works...if it does...let me know and i'll start using it as a coaching tool.

edit: @ the 3:15 mark, you really could have looped that ball. it was long enough. you should work on just looping balls that are long. it really helps when you take one step back too...you won't feel as rushed.

edit again: the reason why there isn't much spin in your serves is b/c your wrist snap/follow through isn't enough.  the angle in which you impact the ball will also dictate the height of the bounce. you could try opening up your blade more which will then force you to work on your feel.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

the reason why you look stiff is b/c your arm is leading before you turn your shoulder...after that, then you turn your shoulder.

if you want a fluid movement on the fh. do what i tell all the people who want to learn that famous straight arm loop....take some dumbells...work out your right arm until you can no longer move it well (don't kill urself) then try to loop as hard as you can.

you will then be forced to use your entire body so that the ball barely makes it over the net with good pace

you should seriously give it a try one day and see if it works...if it does...let me know and i'll start using it as a coaching tool.

edit: @ the 3:15 mark, you really could have looped that ball. it was long enough. you should work on just looping balls that are long. it really helps when you take one step back too...you won't feel as rushed.

edit again: the reason why there isn't much spin in your serves is b/c your wrist snap/follow through isn't enough.  the angle in which you impact the ball will also dictate the height of the bounce. you could try opening up your blade more which will then force you to work on your feel.

oh snap!!!  youre right about the shoulder before arm thing.  it does seem to make the difference here.  ill try to practice this next time.  i notice i also just tense up when i hit in general.  this i must fix as its hindering my stroke a lot.  taking away all my spin and dwell.

@3:15 for that shot, notice i initially wanted to loop it too?  i changed my mind halfway through LOL  i normally would have looped that too LOL  i rewatched this point a few times and noticed the sole problem.  because i wasnt playing very seriously during this match, i actually watched the ball after my serve so i didnt get ready for his return.  from that, i didnt get low enough which made me lose confidence in looping that ball.  i dont feel its necessary to stand further from the table.  as long as i squat lower, i can see the ball better which lets me decide how long and what is loopable.

ya working on serves is a must once i go back for summer vacation.  i actually used to use my whole arm, wrist, and waist to serve.  now its kinda just forearm and wrist and its not even that much of each...

TBH, my serve just feels awkward lately cuz its so off.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 2:23pm
You need to contact the ball with more conviction.. be more confident and put more speed and power into it, and add the spin accordingly. To be even more powerful, you can swing with your body (lower stand, lower backswing, rotation of the body).
For the other guy in black, tell him that he contacted the ball too far from his body, so he seems to be reaching all the time, that will lead to inconsistency on his FH.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 5:48pm
First off, thank you for the having the courage to post a video. I have much more respect for the players here who have "put themselves out there" than the ones who refuse to actually show their level of play.

This is criticism from someone "around" your level, so take it with a grain of salt, and please understand that no disrespect is intended.

game 1
i like how you aren't going for wild shots in game 1. several times you make key blocks and your opponent errors and you win the point. you win this one because you keep the ball in play.

however, i'd recommend work on your FH push. your opponent kept going to it on serves and you kept popping up. being able to take some pace off and drop it short, as well as being able to push deep/flat/fast crosscourt to force your opponent to move and take an out of position (and possibly weak/wild) shot will definitely help.

game 2
i noticed you almost never use your backhand, and are sometimes out of position to use your forehand as a result. this results in some missed opportunities for easy attacks at best and allow you to take over the point with decent topspin pressure at worst. in short, you are playing like you are penhold, but haven't developed the footwork yet (heck, most people 500 points above you don't have that level footwork).

i'd argue that you lose this one because of unforced errors (service, serve return and missed attacks).

game 3
your serves start to shine, and there's evidence that you can out push your opponent, as well as out topspin rally him as long as you prevent strong openings. you do a good job of trying to push wide to his forehand. the only scary moments i saw were that you were stroking "up" with your FH against his underspin, resulting in nets. you need to go more foreward against those balls.

game 4
i noticed what you talked about (trying to open earlier than your opponent). i do this when i feel outmatched; based on earlier games, and what i saw of your limited use of blocking, you had no reason to rush. you could block and counter his weaker attacks just fine. don't put too much pressure on yourself. this problem really reared up when you started going for too much in serve returns and rushed to make an error rather than putting the ball in play.

game 5
nice finish. you seemed more controlled and more together. there was even a point where you used your bh counter to setup a FH. nice patience and final attack against serve.

recap:
bh-bh is usually a penholder weakness below a certain level; i'm curious as to why you didn't test him. Some penholders have good blocks on BH against fast drives; below 1500 many of them have trouble with heavy topspin to BH corner.

mental game: you seem to be shaking your head a lot. and gesturing like you are unhappy. if you can shift that focus away from your internal thought process and toward the stroke/ball/point, the energy will be better spent.

what is your opponent rated in CA USATT? i'm guessing around 1100 or a little bit below?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 6:34pm
@icontek the reason why you dont see me use my bh against him is actually because my bh is quite undeveloped during match play.  and i also out fh him.  i like how you noticed that i probably used less than 5 bh shots the entire match.  players that are smart will play my bh.  TBH, the reason why i lost games 2 and 4 was because i was screwing around since i had a lead.  this isnt the first time iv played him.  and more often than not, i would 3-0 him.  i agree that im being too careless.

i dont know what his level is and i dont think he even has a rating.  all i know is that hes been playing as long as me or longer.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 6:50pm
omg i want the xperia x10 or sanio... sony ericsson = best phones/mp3.
too bad usa doesnt get the latest models..

where did u get ur h3 neo 40 from?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 6:55pm

you could always order the phone off ebay from a seller in HK or Singapore.  if you can get a rebate off your provider for opening up a new line, just take the money instead of a new phone and use that money to buy the X10 like i did.

i got my h3 from Albert at powerpingpong.com
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

You need to contact the ball with more conviction.. be more confident and put more speed and power into it, and add the spin accordingly. To be even more powerful, you can swing with your body (lower stand, lower backswing, rotation of the body).
For the other guy in black, tell him that he contacted the ball too far from his body, so he seems to be reaching all the time, that will lead to inconsistency on his FH.

i noticed the same thing and i normally would.  its the reason why i failed on a few underspin loops.

i think the other guy just has straight up bad technique.  its not because he contacts the ball too far in front of him, its because he only uses his wrist to power the ball.  and that leads to inconsistency which showed up a lot during the warm up i.e. constantly hitting to my bh.  not only that, it has an extremely low ceiling of potential.  notice how i blocked all his kill shots.  i normally block a few but that match was just ridiculous LOL  he was getting really pissed off cuz his kills kept on coming back and usually at decently placed spots.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

you could always order the phone off ebay from a seller in HK or Singapore.  if you can get a rebate off your provider for opening up a new line, just take the money instead of a new phone and use that money to buy the X10 like i did.

i got my h3 from Albert at powerpingpong.com
i want to get a sheet of h3 neo com... most likely from albert as well but i dont know wat hardness to try. I tried the 39 bw2 tuned version and i didnt like it since it was a bit soft and not tacky enough.

megaspin has the sheets of h3 neo comm but i believe they are all 38 degree sponge...

... are u planning on sticking with 40 or maybe try 41? or something
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 9:43pm

i want to get a sheet of h3 neo com... most likely from albert as well but i dont know wat hardness to try. I tried the 39 bw2 tuned version and i didnt like it since it was a bit soft and not tacky enough.

megaspin has the sheets of h3 neo comm but i believe they are all 38 degree sponge...

There is no 38 degree or less for commercial Neo H3. You would likely to get 40 degree with international version of Neo H3.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2010 at 11:01pm

Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

you could always order the phone off ebay from a seller in HK or Singapore.� if you can get a rebate off your provider for opening up a new line, just take the money instead of a new phone and use that money to buy the X10 like i did.i got my h3 from Albert at powerpingpong.com

Ya I plan to stick with 40 since its perfect for me. Most people either find 40 just right or too hard. Just give it a try as its only $26 a sheet. I like my rubbers on the hard side so it should be fine for you too. Harder sponge does require better technique.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 2:05am
actually, i take back the advice of you stepping back a bit. you were in a good position to loop the ball. but with practice you will get a hell of a lot better at looping all of them.

since my sheets of bw2 are all dead now..i'm sticking with h3 pro. so i can definitely give you some pointers on how to better loop underspin or generate pretty much whatever kind of shot you wanna do =D.

now that i'm somewhat used to it, it's plenty fast and plenty spinny when i want it to be.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 3:36am
told you that H3 has plenty of power and spin Tongue

the real beauty of H3 is of course driving and i havent been using that against underspin shots when i have the chance.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
nhuang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhuang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 4:52am
I recognize main gym in the video.

I've got many flaws in my game also. But I did a lot of forehand driving drills as a kid. Here's what I noticed. During the forehand warm-up in the beginning, the gap between your arm-pit and upper-arm becomes really wide. From what I remember from my lessons as a kid, this gap shouldn't be too wide. I think keeping the upper-arm closer to the body should help your forehand sync better with your body/waist.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2010 at 4:54am
I just love it when things fall into place.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic