Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPushblocker vs. Cho Yoon Je (KOR)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
rookies View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 9:53pm
I feel bad to say this but your friends are annoying & distracting your attention during the match.
Timo Boll Spirit

FH: Hurricane 3 Neo

BH: Coppa X1 Turbo

My Feedback
Sponsored Links

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by rookies rookies wrote:

I feel bad to say this but your friends are annoying & distracting your attention during the match.
I'm not easily distracted.. They were just having fun. We didn't expect to win any of the matches against the Korean Pro Team. 
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Slade View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Are you saying that it doesn't take much to get to the ball and block it back with placement?

Skills wise of course it does (which is what warrants the same level of respect for that player as any other). Athletically on the other hand, which is all I was referring to: "doesn't take much" is not what I would say, but hell yes to "not AS much", as compared only to sexier styles like single sided penhold loopers (double wing in some cases), modern defenders, young Maze style lobbers, etc.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

I also happen to think double inverted is the quickest way to make one a "serious" amateur out of avid garage players with $5 K-Mart bats.  

I disagree.

I strongly believe that decently controllabe short pip with 1.8 (like Juic Offense) is a better 1st rubber choice for mose people coming from $5 bats. The less reactivity to incoming spin and less spin production "eases" them into the modern game.

Most 1600-1800 level double-inverted loopers I observed and played against, have far less proper form and footwork than a comparable hardbatter or chopper as they rely on spinny serves, pushes and a few extremely spinny loops for most of their game.  This reliance on their equipment instead of pure fundamentals is strikingly similar to their own argument that LP blockers are simply material players.

Teehee. Ha Ha. Ho Ho.

Well put.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
rookies View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

Originally posted by rookies rookies wrote:

I'm not easily distracted.. They were just having fun. We didn't expect to win any of the matches against the Korean Pro Team. 

I felt you were unsupported.
Timo Boll Spirit

FH: Hurricane 3 Neo

BH: Coppa X1 Turbo

My Feedback
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 1:45am
I disagree.

I strongly believe that decently controllabe short pip with 1.8 (like Juic Offense) is a better 1st rubber choice for mose people coming from $5 bats. The less reactivity to incoming spin and less spin production "eases" them into the modern game.

Icontek:  Actually I agree with you on this 100%.  I meant to say it's the "quickest" way for an average garage player to score against others who are still using $5 bats, not the "best" way... It's what I call the Bringing A Knife To A Fist Fight scenario... LOL

Edited by roundrobin - 12/07/2010 at 2:00am
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 2:01am
RR that is too rich.

<-guilty

especially for the first few years of EJ'ing.

But as a counterpoint to the Knife vs. Fist Scenario:

I remember a couple times as recently as last year when I was blown away with what a couple of basement players were capable (holy crap solid strokes/weight xfer/readiness/anticipation/understanding of point mechanics/general hustle)... Their almost anti surfaces made my service spin pretty useless and I had to (omgosh) play points!

And while I didn't grumble about "junk rubber" or any silly nonsense, it did take me a few matches to figure out what to do without a serve/third ball/crutch.

It wasn't until I developed some off the table controlled topspin that I realized that I could simply play 5-6 feet back and absorb their biggest attacks, and bide my time to loop or counterattack the right ball.

p.s. I spent about an hour with Juic Offense 2.0mm on a Yasaka Extra and it was far easier to produced controlled topspin than any of the inverted rubber that I normally use. I rallied with a pips out smasher that I normally can't find any rhythm against. And I *almost* gave up on inverted entirely that day.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 2:15am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

RR that is too rich.

<-guilty

especially for the first few years of EJ'ing.

But as a counterpoint to the Knife vs. Fist Scenario:

I remember a couple times as recently as last year when I was blown away with what a couple of basement players were capable (holy crap solid strokes/weight xfer/readiness/anticipation/understanding of point mechanics/general hustle)... Their almost anti surfaces made my service spin pretty useless and I had to (omgosh) play points!

And while I didn't grumble about "junk rubber" or any silly nonsense, it did take me a few matches to figure out what to do without a serve/third ball/crutch.

It wasn't until I developed some off the table controlled topspin that I realized that I could simply play 5-6 feet back and absorb their biggest attacks, and bide my time to loop or counterattack the right ball.

p.s. I spent about an hour with Juic Offense 2.0mm on a Yasaka Extra and it was far easier to produced controlled topspin than any of the inverted rubber that I normally use. I rallied with a pips out smasher that I normally can't find any rhythm against. And I *almost* gave up on inverted entirely that day.

Well you know what happens if you bring a knife to fight some bare-fisted Shaolin monks, don't you?  LOL

EJing is very good for you, as long as you learn something along the way, imho...
bravefest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 2:21am

I agree with you to some extent... But based on my own experiences and observations at various clubs where I happened to be one of the sponsors, I also happen to think double inverted is the quickest way to make one a "serious" amateur out of avid garage players with $5 K-Mart bats.  I have seen it too many times that an amateur with spinny bats scored all his points against a good garage player by serving and pushing with heavy spin, which are only made possible with his inverted rubbers.  I will further say that nine out of ten times the garage players he beat have better form as well.  The advantage to be able to generate such a tremendous amount of spin with ease can not be overstated enough.  Most 1600-1800 level double-inverted loopers I observed and played against, have far less proper form and footwork than a comparable hardbatter or chopper as they rely on spinny serves, pushes and a few extremely spinny loops for most of their game.  This reliance on their equipment instead of pure fundamentals is strikingly similar to their own argument that LP blockers are simply material players.

Except there's a glaring difference between the two.  An inverted player who relies on a single serve or attack isn't sending unpredictable returns back their opponent's way.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 2:45am

Except there's a glaring difference between the two.  An inverted player who relies on a single serve or attack isn't sending unpredictable returns back their opponent's way.

Disagreed... I have played too many matches against 2100+ opponents to know that a return made by a rubber, any rubber, is entirely predictable and repeatable.  Different rubbers produce different returns.  Unpredictable?  Absolutely not.  I have had my spinniest cork-screw serves returned by many of the "nastiest" long pips ever produced, legal or not legal, and the returns always come back the same way, time after time... The ball  may dance and wiggle in the air on its way back to me, but the key is it always dances and wiggles exactly the same way if I use the same serve.  99% of the time I simply smash the ball to either corner and win the point outright.

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 2:50am
Originally posted by bravefest bravefest wrote:

I agree with you to some extent... But based on my own experiences and observations at various clubs where I happened to be one of the sponsors, I also happen to think double inverted is the quickest way to make one a "serious" amateur out of avid garage players with $5 K-Mart bats.  I have seen it too many times that an amateur with spinny bats scored all his points against a good garage player by serving and pushing with heavy spin, which are only made possible with his inverted rubbers.  I will further say that nine out of ten times the garage players he beat have better form as well.  The advantage to be able to generate such a tremendous amount of spin with ease can not be overstated enough.  Most 1600-1800 level double-inverted loopers I observed and played against, have far less proper form and footwork than a comparable hardbatter or chopper as they rely on spinny serves, pushes and a few extremely spinny loops for most of their game.  This reliance on their equipment instead of pure fundamentals is strikingly similar to their own argument that LP blockers are simply material players.

Except there's a glaring difference between the two.  An inverted player who relies on a single serve or attack isn't sending unpredictable returns back their opponent's way

Neither is the LP player. It's not objectively unpredictable simply because you find it subjectively unpredictable. You're simply lacking in experience and in the ability to read the spin well. Subsequently, you are blaming your opponent rather than being accountable for the deficits in your own game.

Long pips cannot be objectively unpredictable. They'd have to defy the laws of physics. The behavior of the ball is dependent on the physical make up of the ball and the pips, and their interactions together. Since the laws constraining movement in the universe remain constant (i.e., physical laws don't change haphazardly) and since the physical characteristics of the ball and rubber remain constant (i.e., their chemical composition doesn't randomly fluctuate) then the behavior must be predictable, given that enough time and effort are put into studying it.

In short: You are simply confused, I believe. The returns aren't unpredictable period, as in they cannot be predicted at all because they behave in an entirely random fashion. They are simply unpredictable by you, since you lack the requisite experience necessary to predict the returns.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Slade View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 3:04am
Also, if they truly were unpredictable then that would apply to the LP player themself using it so they would make as many errors as they force. Probably more because getting it back onto the table would be questionable then before forcing errors even comes into play.

Edited by Slade - 12/07/2010 at 3:06am
LilWaynePingPong View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 3:41am
Sorry but what the hell is this? "Strong Korean Player???" more like average club player who wasn't even trying!!

90% of all receives MISSED all because you never learned to use that damned forehand of yours. Do you have a coach? Do yourself a favor and REFUND EVERY CENT you spent on lessons!!! Do you enjoy being a ladder for lower level players all the time??

...and people are actually gonna study this vid?!!!!
Jesus Christ!!! That's like studying a dead language.. Might be fancy on the outside but you'll never find a time in your life when you're gonna need it..

Bottomline is: CHANGE YOUR STYLE, mate! You know you can do better than that!!!
friendship View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 3:44am
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

From my personal experience, the more I play against a particular player with an unorthodox style or equipment, or even unusual serves, the better I do against him, at least initially, until I get used to his game.   By getting getting exposed to his unique game,  I have much more to gain than him, since he's plays guys like me all the time ... so I get better against him, even though neither my nor his level of play against everyone else changes.  After a while, when we get used our styles, our level of play against each other stabilizes.

I've also noticed, that players who use strange equipment frequently have problems against other people with unusual gear/styles ... until they learn how to play against them.

In summary, I do believe that using unconventional gear requires skills and provides welcome variety to TT.  However, I also believe, that if there were more players with unorthodox styles and gear, it would become more difficult for them to use it to their advantage against their "inverted victims".

this is very well observed. material (and some funny stuff) users have advantage of being minority

all the LP players will say 'get used to it'. well, getting used to playing material needs not matches against it, but training against it. whether it is training matches or training sessions (in which material player actually performs shots he uses in match). sometimes it can be a problem just because these people are minority. and yet another problem can be that material players are not always willing to share their knowlege nor help you to learn how to play effectively against them. yet, they have no problem against majority, because of large base of training partners willing to train. this is their teritory

when they play against the minority, other material players, they have the same problem. only they are in little better situation: their opponent feels the same. so this is nobody's teritory. this is where overall skill prevails, whether it is ability to attack or to outpush

so, what can happen in lower levels: when LP player gets skill to play with LP well for his level, he goes up. automatically, no unskilled inverted player will have big chance against him in a match, as he will score easy victories. so, is he interested to play matches against those 'kids'? hell no Big smile therefore, inverted player sometimes has to raise his level of play significantly, and show initial talent to at least partially get by against material players, to deserve chance to play frequent training matches against them. so, you must deserve this ticket

and they say, learn it...ok, but this should be mentioned also. not like you can buy 'material playing robot' and help yourself. you depend on people and circumstance

also one more thing must be mentioned. first bat we all get is double side inverted. sometimes it was double side SP hardbat (this was my first bat when I was a kid, chinese pioneer hardbat). so, neither of us begins with material. what was the reason someone switched to material anyway? was he doing great with double side inverted...or he was doing not that great, and then decided he should change something?

i know some players said that they had great BH's but they decided to switch to material because it was fun, but i would say such are rare. i would say most who switched were not satisfied with their level, and felt that they could do better in short time if they switched. and that's what happened

i think ability to smash the hell out of somebody is most exciting thing a player can personally experience in the game...problem is, not everybody can do it. because not everybody has skill for that. there comes the plan B

so, hate me if you like, but initial thought for deciding for being minority was: hell, i can do lot better and easier with material than without

of course, it would be interesting if 'minority' equaled with 'majority', but no point of talking about that until it starts to happen, and I don't see it happen

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 3:50am

Sometimes, inverted power-loopers intentionally avoid playing against those weird styles and then they lose against it in tournaments.. We have a 2200 looper in the club who tries to avoid playing me..  So, after avoiding me for a few weeks, we played and I beat him 3:0.. We played again and then he beat me 3:2... If he would play more frequently with me, he would probably beat me more than I beat him but he often avoids playing me by signing up at the tables where other loopers are playing. Last time at a tournament, I beat him 3:0..  I'm sure that if he'd play me more frequently in training, he would be able to give me a much better fight next time.

it is the problem that for inverted player match against other inverted player feels much more enjoyable. but he should force himself to play you to learn more tactics, it is not matter of enjoyment but investment in experience

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 3:54am

You should come to visit the clubs that I play in.. It's full of weird style.. From attackers who use anti on one side and long pips on the other, to a backhand smasher who attacks with a INCREDIBLE backhand but he has no forehand. Then we have a short pips/long pips blocker/attacker, a Seemiller anti/inverted attacker, a short pips push/forehand inverted attacker, a few penhold short pips attackers, allround loopers, power-loopers, several choppers (classical and modern) etc. etc. We have a incredible mix of styles at the clubs that I play at and I consider myself lucky. I always had trouble with certain styles including flat hitters.. I'm doing a lot better against flat hitters than I used to.. I used to have problems against other long pips players and I overcame it and now beat most defensive long pips styles. The only style remaining that I haven't found a effective game against are slow-loopers. We don't have any slow-loopers in the club. I did play a 1880 rated slow looper at the State Championship.. I beat him 3:1 but it was more work than it should be considering the rating difference.. It was one of my ugliest matches, looking like 2 beginners playing each other..

this is nice environment for learning. quite opposite here around me, unfortunately. i'm in croatia, we used to be almost neighbours Big smile (you were born in austria, right?)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Slade Slade wrote:

Prior to 1600 or so opponents might have a lot of trouble with LP but then again so will the user half the time so its almost a push. It works both ways just like any equipment. After that and especially around 1700, definitely 1800 and beyond, everyone pretty much consistently knows whats up. So at that point not only is there not an advantage, but it becomes so predictable that it is pretty much a disadvantage (or at least such a reduction in options and variation, which most would call a disadvantage, unless the person is pretty amazing at the limited few things they can and/or are forced do with it).

i partially disagree...as can be seen on video, korean high class player certainly has problems with both material and pushblocker style as he missed many balls. he did win somehow, but barely and on pure class and some adaptation and patience, and if he was slightly weaker a player he would have lost this match. but this was not certainly looking as if he knew all he had to know. from player which knows all I would expect either slow controlled looping with rare missing the table, or more flat game with waiting for a chance to kill the ball, and either way, a couple of times less mistakes and 'gifted points' than korean player did
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 7:39am
Originally posted by LilWaynePingPong LilWaynePingPong wrote:

Sorry but what the hell is this? "Strong Korean Player???" more like average club player who wasn't even trying!!

90% of all receives MISSED all because you never learned to use that damned forehand of yours. Do you have a coach? Do yourself a favor and REFUND EVERY CENT you spent on lessons!!! Do you enjoy being a ladder for lower level players all the time??

...and people are actually gonna study this vid?!!!!
Jesus Christ!!! That's like studying a dead language.. Might be fancy on the outside but you'll never find a time in your life when you're gonna need it..

Bottomline is: CHANGE YOUR STYLE, mate! You know you can do better than that!!!

Check his results after the Team Tournament is processed and then claim again that he isn't a strong player LOL

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 7:43am
Originally posted by friendship friendship wrote:

this is nice environment for learning. quite opposite here around me, unfortunately. i'm in croatia, we used to be almost neighbours Big smile (you were born in austria, right?)
Yes, I was born in Austria and lived there until age 26. Played league in Vienna for a few years.
Croatia is indeed not too far from there...

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 7:58am
Croatia, right on border with Bosnia & Herzegovina :)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 8:29am
yes, yes Big smile Wink
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 12:05pm

... material (and some funny stuff) users have advantage of being minority ... 

To add to it, I've noticed somewhat similar thing not only when facing "material (and some funny stuff)", but also when playing against other "TT minorities", e.g.
- left handed players
- penholders using reverse bh loop - I almost never play against them, and I have some trouble with the sidespin curve BH loop)
- players with "unorthodox" strokes - I rely to a high degree on observing my opponent while he's making a shot, so it's much more difficult for me to anticipate the direction of the shot when playing against guys with unusual strokes

What I said in this, as well as in my previous posts is not intended to show superiority/inferiority of certain styles or equipment, but rather to highlight the need practice with and play against a wide variety of players in order not be disadvantaged when facing unusual opponents.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

... material (and some funny stuff) users have advantage of being minority ... 

To add to it, I've noticed somewhat similar thing not only when facing "material (and some funny stuff)", but also when playing against other "TT minorities", e.g.
- left handed players
- penholders using reverse bh loop - I almost never play against them, and I have some trouble with the sidespin curve BH loop)
- players with "unorthodox" strokes - I rely to a high degree on observing my opponent while he's making a shot, so it's much more difficult for me to anticipate the direction of the shot when playing against guys with unusual strokesWhat I said in this, as well as in my previous posts is not intended to show superiority/inferiority of certain styles or equipment, but rather to highlight the need practice with and play against a wide variety of players in order not be disadvantaged when facing unusual opponents.

I don't like playing against a left-handed penholder with RBH and unorthodox strokes.LOL
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by bravefest bravefest wrote:

...as they rely on spinny serves, pushes and a few extremely spinny loops for most of their game.  This reliance on their equipment instead of pure fundamentals is strikingly similar to their own argument that LP blockers are simply material players.

I think you missed the point.

RR has pointed out that with inverted, the magnitude of spin is what confounds lower level players (ever seen a loop "blocked" to the ceiling?)

Furthermore, a "deceptive" serve using inverted where the contact point is not obvious or the motion is disguised is just as "unpredictable" to lower level players (who pop it up and get third balled) as a long pips pushblock (which also gets popped up and get third balled).

Just because I can't read or simply don't understand 2300 players serve doesn't mean that inverted rubber should be outlawed.

and they say, learn it...ok, but this should be mentioned also. not like you can buy 'material playing robot' and help yourself.

Is this still true? Can some of the nicer robots not be programmed to simulate a topspin, follwed by an underspin, followed by a fast deadball etc?

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I don't like playing against a left-handed penholder with RBH and unorthodox strokes.LOL

And just to be a nitpicker:
Righty RPB has same type of sidespin as Lefty FH, no?
(the curve is opposite from Righty Shakehand Backhand)

So wouldn't a Lefty RPB just have the same sidespin as Righty FH?
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2010 at 6:19pm

And just to be a nitpicker:
Righty RPB has same type of sidespin as Lefty FH, no?
(the curve is opposite from Righty Shakehand Backhand)
So wouldn't a Lefty RPB just have the same sidespin as Righty FH?

I agree that the ball curves in the same direction, however, I personally found that RPB loopers (at least the ones I played against), put significantly more sidespin than what I've been used to seeing from lefty FH loops.

Edited by VictorK - 12/07/2010 at 6:20pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2010 at 6:57am

Is this still true? Can some of the nicer robots not be programmed to simulate a topspin, follwed by an underspin, followed by a fast deadball etc?

didn't know that. but still it's not the good enough. good LP player will mix shots in random and deceptive manner and you need to actually look and get used to recognise spin of returned ball
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2010 at 7:13am

didn't know that. but still it's not the good enough. good LP player will mix shots in random and deceptive manner and you need to actually look and get used to recognise spin of returned ball

Ah ok.

While I disagree with the idea of "random" (in other words - LP against a loop has limited "safe" outcomes; AFAIK they can either block or chop it) I think I get your point.

Before you program a series of drills that would simulate LP responses, you would need to understand the outcomes. So what about playing LP opponents and then having a partner write down the spin outcomes/sequences that occur frequently?

These could then be programmed into a drill.

I only have one LP opponent I get to play with any frequency (3-4 times a year, sadly) and I've only worked out a couple basic patterns.
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2010 at 8:02am
I have read through all of these long pages of defending pushblocker's style and skill level and I agree entirely, you are a truely strong player pushblocker. I have a question for you though, and I hope you do not take any offence from it because I do not mean any. I am simply curious, if you never played with long pips, and only played with double inverted looping from both wings, do you think you would be rated higher, equal, or lower?

I am built very much like you, I have only been playing for a year now, and I am learning strictly double inverted. choppinp, pips, etc just for fun. I realize that if I devoted my interest to long pips, I could probably compete on a slightly higher level due to the weakness of my inverted opponents to the lp blocking style. I myself am currently pretty much cold to it. I also know that because of my lack of very good athleticism, this limits my ability to perform as a double inverted looper, and even more so as a longer distance chopper. what is your experience with this subject?
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2010 at 9:28am
would you recomend the blade you are using now for an attacker lp player with H3 on the FH ?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2010 at 10:35am
Originally posted by walleyeguy7 walleyeguy7 wrote:

I have read through all of these long pages of defending pushblocker's style and skill level and I agree entirely, you are a truely strong player pushblocker. I have a question for you though, and I hope you do not take any offence from it because I do not mean any. I am simply curious, if you never played with long pips, and only played with double inverted looping from both wings, do you think you would be rated higher, equal, or lower?

It's impossible to tell as I got converted to the "dark side" at a very early stage of my table tennis development.  During playing competitive table tennis for many years, I only used inverted on both sides for my very first year when I was at about 1200 level. I have used anti and later long pips ever since. It's pure speculation on how high I would've gotten with inverted.. I'm sure that it would've taken me LONGER to get stronger but I think that at one point, I would've had more success with inverted. Long Pips definetely helped me to move up quicker but I do believe that at one point it became more of a handicap as more and more people know how to play against that type of equipment the higher level you play. I thinkt that this point is about the 2100 level for me. I really had to work hard on new strategies to be able to get to that level. My game really has evolved a lot during the last 10 years to be able to compete at that level as you can't fool a 2200 player with "funny" equipment alone. I believe that I would probably be rated higher than I'm right now if I would've played with inverted from the beginning. The ceiling is definetely higher with regular equipment.  However, it's very difficult to tell as the type of skills needed is completely different than the skills needed for my current game. There is really no way to tell how my skills would've developed with inverted..  I'm a person who gets bored with something very quickly if I don't see results.. Long Pips gave me quick results back when I changed to them.  I never thought at that point that this equipment will limit me at one point..

I am built very much like you, I have only been playing for a year now, and I am learning strictly double inverted. choppinp, pips, etc just for fun. I realize that if I devoted my interest to long pips, I could probably compete on a slightly higher level due to the weakness of my inverted opponents to the lp blocking style. I myself am currently pretty much cold to it. I also know that because of my lack of very good athleticism, this limits my ability to perform as a double inverted looper, and even more so as a longer distance chopper. what is your experience with this subject?
I do think that athleticism is of course a requirement for any fast style.. I USED TO be in shape until about 3 years ago when I started gaining weight.. Went from 185 lbs to 230 lbs within 3 years..  The long pips style has the advantage that it is not as tiring as offensive styles and physical fitness is not as critical.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic