Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[Video] Updates on my training

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
mudy_431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudy_431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2011 at 2:12pm
Your BH is awesome, i dream to have such a nice BH.
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2011 at 9:38pm

I like everything about your game because there is nothing fundamentaly wrong and it will take so little to make everything lethal in the next stages of your progression.

The wrist snap of the bh drive shows that you have there a lot of confidence in that stroke so you just let it go and you are very relax about it. If you can find a way to apply the same relaxation to the fh loop then it will be so faster and spinier. 

It is hard to be relax when you want to do something perfect as I sense you do.

"Relax" is such an important word in TT. It drives all of my tt thinking lol. By not being relax we lose power at every stage of the stroke (kness, hips, torso, shoulder...) and we appear a bit like Mr. Tin Man (you do not!).

The best way I find to be relax is to focus more on recovery: when I focus to have a better elliptical recovery between the end of stroke and the end of back swing, relaxation comes as a side effect as there is no way we can enter a nice rhythmic groove in the stroke/recovery combo if we are not relax.

The beauty of it is when we can do it we can feel it in all your body and mind and it feels really good: that's where we learn, build muscle memory and that's the speed at which we should stay until we can do it faster and still keep the ball on the table.

Thanks for showing videos of your training.

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2011 at 10:47pm
just a thought from way long ago....you should lift weights until your arms are about to fall off. then try to fh loop. voila you will have the relaxed arm and almost-perfect swing =D
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2011 at 11:59pm
Imagine someone used a TT bat and sharply struck your hitting hand wrist real hard. That would make you hold the arm/hand closer to the body with a 90 degree bend in the elbow, plus you would be very loose there. Loosly insert TT bat into hand and you are back in business.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 3:45am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

"Relax" is such an important word in TT. It drives all of my tt thinking lol. By not being relax we lose power at every stage of the stroke (kness, hips, torso, shoulder...) and we appear a bit like Mr. Tin Man (you do not!).

That is one of the most important epiphanies I had recently!!!  Being relaxed gives me more time to react, more time to prepare my stroke, more time to move.  We can all preform perfect strokes when we're practicing, but why can we do that in a game?!?!  Because we're not relaxed!!!  Being relaxed is a tremendous concept to understand!!!  (At least for me)Tongue
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 2:20pm
Thanks for all the comments and advice guys.  I'm doing a roadtrip in a bit from SD to LA to get coaching Big smile

More videos on my playing will be posted unless I play completely awful but that shouldn't happen Tongue
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 1:04am
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 2:34am
The elbow looks a little high and it seems like you are leaning to far to one side. But just by watching the first few hits, I can say it looks a lot better.  Good work!
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 3:14am
my easiest advice is to keep your focus and relax. You get frustrated too easily. I feel like the reason I've gotten quite a bit better recently is just that- I don't get mad at myself as much and i try to keep a positive attitude. So what if you miss a lot in a row or something- that's why you're practicing.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 3:30am
follow through is a bit high hence why you're missing the table. the main problem is in the swing itself. i see that steven was trying to fix it. i'm putting up a simple diagram that shows what i think i see in your swing. one thing for sure is that i can see an open paddle angle at the end of your swing. it should more closed...

Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 3:33am
the parts when you tank the balls into the net are actually when you swing correctly. you just need to hold the ball longer and launch the sucker. that's where the impact part comes in.

but good work all in all! =D
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 4:29am
I have regular practice tomorrow/much later today.  I will definitely be working to improve on fh.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 11:38am
I'm sorry ohhgourami, but you're still not snapping your forearm. No matter Chinese or European loop, the forearm snapping is the most important thing in FH/BH technique, and even WLQ snaps his forearm if you notice. You should go back to basic counterhits to learn snapping the forearm instead of starting directly with loops. I'm afraid this loop training will further worsen ur technique not improve it.

Just my 2 cents.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80

Back to normal shape bats :(
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I'm sorry ohhgourami, but you're still not snapping your forearm. No matter Chinese or European loop, the forearm snapping is the most important thing in FH/BH technique, and even WLQ snaps his forearm if you notice. You should go back to basic counterhits to learn snapping the forearm instead of starting directly with loops. I'm afraid this loop training will further worsen ur technique not improve it.

Just my 2 cents.

Just to play counter, you don't need to use the forearm much, but I agree with bladness that you need to use the forearm more to loop.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 2:38am
i'm still loving the vids tho! definitely will take ur idea and put mine up too =)
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 3:17am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

i'm still loving the vids tho! definitely will take ur idea and put mine up too =)

That would be great Tuan.

I finally put together the elbow snap and the "concave" motion today.  I know I know you guys keep telling me to elbow snap, but one step at a time.  My footwork is still weird on certain shots and I want to perfect that before I move on to anything else.  Like I said, that lesson was mainly on right leg movement and waist rotation.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 3:35am

Very fast progress. Good for you!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 6:07pm
I found out what makes my power transfer look soo awkward!!!!  I was pushing off my heels to create power instead of the balls of my feet!!!

More videos soon to be put up.  Sadly I found out about my problem towards the end of my lesson. Cry
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 9:48pm
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 11:53pm
I think you are not stepping around enough in order to play diagonal fh from bh corner. I think your left leg should be a lot more forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npdrAkzpw8 - here see how much more angled is Ryu
Blade: YEO FH: H3P BH: Pryde 40
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 12:06am
Im sure your coach knows best, but here are my thoughts:

I think not snapping your elbow is causing your arm to have too much rotational and forward momentum, so it makes you fall over forward.

You end up swinging slower than you can because you are trying not to fall over, and braking your swing quite quickly after you hit the ball, rather than letting your arm just freewheel.

Weight transfer forward is good, but after you hit the ball there is no need to transfer any more weight, so you better go back to your normal balance asap! So for really big loops people usually take a step forward with their left foot, makes it easier to get back up.

Your swing seems very forced, and yet languid (no acceleration). Its supposed to be natural and focussed.

Dont try to follow some preconceived model of "how you should swing" with some kind of planned flightpath as if you are some robot. Just relax and swing happily away. Your body is very clever and will naturally arrange itself into a good power linkage. Your coach will correct you to tune the last bits of power, but your job is to stay relaxed and natural.

Edited by Vassily - 01/24/2011 at 12:11am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Ashes Ashes wrote:

I think you are not stepping around enough in order to play diagonal fh from bh corner. I think your left leg should be a lot more forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npdrAkzpw8 - here see how much more angled is Ryu

Actually my left leg was too forward at one point.  My legs should be pointed perpendicularly to the bh corner
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 12:14am
Thanks for sharing your videos, it takes a lot of courage, I applaud you for that.Clap One obvious thing I would comment is that forearm needs to be retracted to complete the stroke. Weight transfer needs to be focused on too.(turn waist) It looks like a lot of time you put your weight on right leg and forgot to transfer it to left leg. Backhand looks good, I would originate the backhand stroke closer to body (in front of belly button) then with follow through. A lot of reaching out, means the ball is not stable. Your feet can be a little faster, and more small hops to reach optimum striking distance between your body and the ball. You probably already hear  that a lot from your coach Wink. Good job and good videos!!!
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 12:16am
Sometimes when you are hitting the ball back to a blocker you tense up more because you are trying to be consistent to make a blockable ball. I think multiball aids relaxation, since you dont need to care about where the ball lands and can hit at whatever natural pace suits you. Furthermore, multiball makes you really really tired until you dont care anymore and become completely relaxed... :p
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Vassily Vassily wrote:

Sometimes when you are hitting the ball back to a blocker you tense up more because you are trying to be consistent to make a blockable ball. I think multiball aids relaxation, since you dont need to care about where the ball lands and can hit at whatever natural pace suits you. Furthermore, multiball makes you really really tired until you dont care anymore and become completely relaxed... :p

Where I want to land the ball is not the cause of my tensing up, it is that I'm trying to focus on individual elements on how to produce power.  My coach has no problem blocking any of the shots I give him, that is the purpose of having a high level coach too.  The goal of all the videos is not directly consistently landing balls, but how I am landing the balls.  My goal in all these videos are to have a good chain of movement starting from the balls of my toes all the way up to my fingers to transfer all the power into the ball, as a side effect, the balls will be fast and spinny in addition to being consistent too. 

I will agree that multiball does aid relaxation, but my coach is already giving me shots at my natural pace.  I'm just focusing on different elements so it may look like I'm tense - in addition to how much my stroke has changed since the first video, all in less than a months work.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 6:58am
Originally posted by razortt razortt wrote:

Thanks for sharing your videos, it takes a lot of courage, I applaud you for that.Clap One obvious thing I would comment is that forearm needs to be retracted to complete the stroke. Weight transfer needs to be focused on too.(turn waist) It looks like a lot of time you put your weight on right leg and forgot to transfer it to left leg. Backhand looks good, I would originate the backhand stroke closer to body (in front of belly button) then with follow through. A lot of reaching out, means the ball is not stable. Your feet can be a little faster, and more small hops to reach optimum striking distance between your body and the ball. You probably already hear  that a lot from your coach Wink. Good job and good videos!!!
perfect advice ,I noticed when you used a bit more waist at times in your last vid your shots were better . keep it up
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 8:57am
I'm not qualified to comment on technique, but your progress is evident, even compared to the first round of videos!

I especially enjoyed how compact and powerful your backhand is getting!

KUDOS!

The only concern I have is that Steven had more trouble than I would expect returning your shots :)
I've chalked this up to the inevitable variation in spin/power that occurs while you are learning new technique (from the timing/contact changes).
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 11:46am
towards the end of the vid those loop drives were MONSTER!!!! you were probably putting about 65-75% effort into those. just imagine what would happen when you really go for those shots.

west coast > east coast. your bh looks way better than mine and that footwork is coming together really nicely. i'll put up a vid of me trying to shake off some holiday rust for you to bash in a bit =)
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 1:36pm
@icontek  thanks!  I was hoping that my progress compared to the first round was a good leap forward.  I've felt that my bh has been relatively the same throughout my playing, just timing has improved with the addition to just being confident and comfortable enough just loop every ball.  I think Steven only "had trouble" because of my inconsistencies. Embarrassed

@tpgh2k I don't think those shots were fast enough Tongue I realized that I was pushing off my heel the whole time (the last 2+ years!!!) and the loop drives I did at the end of the last vid were from trying out pushing off the balls of my feet.  After I starting doing that, I got a huge power and consistency boost.  And a lot of it has to do with my current sheet of H3 Big smile  Now to feel comfortable doing it and I think all my weight transfer, waist rotation, tense stroke, fail to elbow snap problems will finally all be gone!!!!  It's amazing how this one little issue right at the start of my stroke would derail my whole chain of motion!!!

I believe this coming Friday will be the last lesson I will be able to have (for a long long time) with Steven.  My greatest hope for the next lesson is to have correct motion for my fh so that way I will not screw up my fh while I'm on my own.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 5:06pm
oh i think i'm on my heels a lot too come to think of it...weight transfer sucks when i have to move =/. you'll see when i put up the vid. it's processing right now....and i'm in class lol.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic