FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Japanese Penhold Blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sbuzzini View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbuzzini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese Penhold Blade
    Posted: 05/12/2020 at 2:32pm
Does anyone could tell me if it is worth it to invest in a Cypress G-Max Blade (one ply; kiso-hinoki), 10 mm cypress, 93 g; 163 X 135 mm ($359)? I saw a TSP special dynam 10.0 with pretty much same specifications, but blade size is 145 x 135 ($199). Any other Jpen blade to consider? Thanks
Sergio
Sponsored Links

lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2020 at 9:40pm
With Jpen, the longer the better. You want as much leverage as possible.

But the Gmax is supposedly really thick (11mm), you are not going to get much feedback unless you are smashing hard all the time. Personally, anything above 9mm is too thick for hinoki's. They are already very stiff, any incremental gains in speed is more than offset by the complete lack of impact feedback.

Are you sure the Dynam is only 145? That's severely undersized even by shakehand standards...
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2020 at 10:11pm
Of course Dynam does not measure 145mm starting from the handle. TSP lists the dimensions of the area without cork, so supposing the finger gap area has 20mm, Dynam will measure 165x135.
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by sbuzzini sbuzzini wrote:

Does anyone could tell me if it is worth it to invest in a Cypress G-Max Blade (one ply; kiso-hinoki), 10 mm cypress, 93 g; 163 X 135 mm ($359)? I saw a TSP special dynam 10.0 with pretty much same specifications, but blade size is 145 x 135 ($199). Any other Jpen blade to consider? Thanks

You may consider Darker Speed 90 or Kokutaku Kiwami.
Both have very good reputation. Darker and Kokutaku, from some comments that I have read in the past in this forum, seems to be preferable over Butterfly when it comes to single ply hinoki blades.

Originally posted by lasta lasta wrote:

With Jpen, the longer the better. You want as much leverage as possible. 

But the Gmax is supposedly really thick (11mm), you are not going to get much feedback unless you are smashing hard all the time. Personally, anything above 9mm is too thick for hinoki's. They are already very stiff, any incremental gains in speed is more than offset by the complete lack of impact feedback.

Are you sure the Dynam is only 145? That's severely undersized even by shakehand standards...

G-Max is 10 mm.
11 mm jpen is kinda rare, I only know two comercial blades at this thickness: Ariex Royal and Nexy Temujin+

Edited by shinshiro - 05/12/2020 at 10:24pm
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2020 at 7:27am
Imho wait for a bit and buy an older xiom. Not only can you appraise the grain for that specific blade usually jpen loose a lot of value. 
Darker are probably best wood quality now days. Butterfly grain is poor from what I can see. Don't buy unless you can see the specific blade with butterfly
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2020 at 10:09pm
I second the suggestion of KKT kiwami or darker speed 90!
Darker if you like softer hinoki and KKT if you like harder hinoki
Also if you can get them, the older butterfly’s and xiom

In terms of selecting jpen generally
1. Better to buy ones you can see and touch as hinoki have a wide variability even among the same model.
2. Hold the head of the blade with your index and thumb and knock the handle on your head lightly, pick the blade with the crispest and non muddled sounding ones
3. The heavier the better
4. The better the grains the better

Personally i would get something in the 10mm range (however the same model can have some vairiebility) as 9mm seems to lacks speed in punches and power in the top gear plus they are more prone to splitting and 11mm is rare.

Hinoki is stiff but soft, you will get plenty of feedback with a good blade, so enjoy your jpen journey! 

729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 11:44pm
http://ariex-sport.com/product/%e7%89%b9%e8%b3%a3%e6%9c%83-excellent-gt-%e8%b6%85%e5%9a%b4%e9%81%b8%e6%9c%a8%e6%9b%be%e6%aa%9c%e5%96%ae%e6%9d%bf/

Google ariex-sport if the above can't work.

Can check out Ariex sport J pen. Its a steal at that price. Not sure whether their hinoki is from Japan or Taiwan..
They are having some promotion. Just to share. 

Edited by Antiq - 05/17/2020 at 11:45pm
I love cheap and good blades that suit my game...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic