Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic Bluegrip C2 review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Bluegrip C2 review
    Posted: 01/08/2021 at 7:18pm
First test today on a Yasaka Sweden Guardian blade with a Tibhar Hybrid K1 Euro  on the other side. Just for the record, the Tibhar is well tuned with two layers of Falco.

The Bluegrip C2 is untuned in its factory state and I am not planning on tuning it before I can try it on a real offensive blade. Both rubbers are glued on with 1-1 layer of Revolution.

There are many reviews out there but the majority of them are not English. One of the exceptions is the channel of Bigshot TT who did a review in September. Also, tennis2table.com have done a review but it is in French and the reviewer is a very high level player.

I have not been able to train properly since March but somehow I managed to arrange a place with some my usual practice partners. The following are my first impressions and I will only be able to go into more details in about two weeks. All I am going to talk about is based on a basic FH drill and FH looping mostly.

The speed of the C2 is definitely below Donic Bluestorm Z1 by about 15%. It could be about Z2's speed but they are a bit difficult to compare because you need a slightly different technique with the C2 and the curve of the ball is different.

Upon bouncing the ball (DHS*** ABS) everybody agreed that it feels slow. However, as you start going harder, you can get more out of the rubber and you will end up at Z2's speed on loops, more or less.

I am convinced that the topsheet of the C2 is the same technology as the Joola Dynaryz AGR ( I have not tried ACC).

What sets it apart from other current ESN (Bluefires, Bluestorms, Rasanter 37, 42, 47, Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 50) rubbers is the unbelievable curve on loops. I have not experienced this with the rubbers I just mentioned. The increased clearance over the net enables its user to play into locations that were more difficult to access in tight situations with previous ESN rubbers.

Spin is subjective. If I judge by the excellent curve, I must say it is very spinny. What is important, the improved curve is there, even on slower shots, which is another distinguishing factor from previous ESN rubbers. It was only when I when really hard that balls flew long but it might be due to the defensive blade I used today.

It is good straight out of the package and only has a faint booster smell. Going by Joola Dynaryz AGR, the effect lasts good 3 months. The sponge is not exactly the same as Bluegrip Z1: it is more of a greyish blue sponge and the pores are ever so slightly smaller than on the Z1. The uncut weight was 72 gramms.

If someone asked me now which rubber I would choose: Z1 or C2, my answer would be the C2 without hesitation.

Fortunately, it is different from Rakza Z Extra Hard and in a good way. RZEH does not feature this new style topsheet and I feel the offensive potential of the C2 is greater than the Yasaka's. The RZEH has a higher curve on loops than the Donic but in the case of the Rakza ZEH it does not translate into more pressure on the opponents.

There is one bad thing however: only after 1.5 hours of play the topsheet has started going white with ballmarks on 2-3 spots so I have doubts about the durability of the topsheet.

To summarise: it is a rubber for advanced players so if you cannot handle 50 degree ESN rubbers I am sure you will not like it. It is very reliable but as it is a bit slower than speed cannon ESN rubbers I would say it is more for those players who win points through careful placement instead of relentless diagonal power shots. There is a lot more room for changing the trajectory of your loops which was more difficult with previous ESN rubbers.

I will post more on it as soon as I have put it on a normal offensive blade and with other balls than the fake DHS ***.
Sponsored Links

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 5:52am
Nice review Hans. Many thanks for putting together the review. I know the UK reviewer big shot and his family from playing Donic over the years and being at the club in London training. Great friendly bunch of people and also the fusion club is fantastic if anyone is ever in that neck of the woods. 

I'm really interested in how both of the rubbers C2 and C1 would liven up and maybe soften up after the break in time. Also after boosting as I think these rubbers would find it benifical to add a bit of extra speed. 

Cheers. 

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 8:10am
How does it compare to the Tibhar Hybrid K1 Euro?
TTOmar View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TTOmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 11:11am
Good review , I used Bluegrip C1 for a month on inner carbon blade and it was fast with higher throw angle thus made me many mistakes during loops, the reason is when you normally flat hit the ball you don't actually feel that catapult effect but when you spin the ball it shows its true nature. I was using the rubber along with Big Dipper. Comparing to Big Dipper, C1 is less tacky but gives you more speed on hits and spin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Nice review Hans. Many thanks for putting together the review. I know the UK reviewer big shot and his family from playing Donic over the years and being at the club in London training. Great friendly bunch of people and also the fusion club is fantastic if anyone is ever in that neck of the woods. 

I'm really interested in how both of the rubbers C2 and C1 would liven up and maybe soften up after the break in time. Also after boosting as I think these rubbers would find it benifical to add a bit of extra speed. 

Cheers. 

Thanks.

I am planning on boosting C2 but only in 2-3 weeks. I want to try it unboosted on a 7 ply offensive blade. I will report back here with my findings. Also, I am getting a sheet of C1 for the same reason. Btw, I absolutely hated V1 and R1.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

I had been trying the Hybridy K1 unboosted before and I found it to be totally unplayable. Therefore I boosted it with two layers of Falco Long and tested it yesterday and it was a lot better. I would even play league matches with it now.

The comparison I am going to give you is not the best because my C2 is unboosted at the moment but here it goes.

All concerning FH loops from close in and off the table:

The speed difference between Z1 and C2 is approximately 15%.

Speed: boosted THK1E > unboosted C2 by between 5 and 10% (Bluestorm Z1 is faster than THK1E by approx. 5-7%)
Spin: unboosted C2 > THK1E > Z1 - The gap between C2 and the Tibhar is noticeable but smaller than the difference between the Tibhar and Z1 (let alone C2)
Curve on loops: C2 is the best by far > THK1E > Z1 (the difference between the latter two is about 5-7%)

In terms of the feel for the ball C2 is the best for me but it is very subjective. The technological difference between the topsheets and they way the work is very noticeable - the Tibhar is not much different than the latest ESN range (Bluestorm, Rasanter, Joola Rhyzer, they are all the same basically).

I have seen videos of you playing and I would say the C2 could suit your FH. You might want to check out the video of tennis2table on the C2. That will give you an idea.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by TTOmar TTOmar wrote:

Good review , I used Bluegrip C1 for a month on inner carbon blade and it was fast with higher throw angle thus made me many mistakes during loops, the reason is when you normally flat hit the ball you don't actually feel that catapult effect but when you spin the ball it shows its true nature. I was using the rubber along with Big Dipper. Comparing to Big Dipper, C1 is less tacky but gives you more speed on hits and spin

I very much agree with the flat hitting vs spinning part.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

I had been trying the Hybridy K1 unboosted before and I found it to be totally unplayable. Therefore I boosted it with two layers of Falco Long and tested it yesterday and it was a lot better. I would even play league matches with it now.

The comparison I am going to give you is not the best because my C2 is unboosted at the moment but here it goes.

All concerning FH loops from close in and off the table:

The speed difference between Z1 and C2 is approximately 15%.

Speed: boosted THK1E > unboosted C2 by between 5 and 10% (Bluestorm Z1 is faster than THK1E by approx. 5-7%)
Spin: unboosted C2 > THK1E > Z1 - The gap between C2 and the Tibhar is noticeable but smaller than the difference between the Tibhar and Z1 (let alone C2)
Curve on loops: C2 is the best by far > THK1E > Z1 (the difference between the latter two is about 5-7%)

In terms of the feel for the ball C2 is the best for me but it is very subjective. The technological difference between the topsheets and they way the work is very noticeable - the Tibhar is not much different than the latest ESN range (Bluestorm, Rasanter, Joola Rhyzer, they are all the same basically).

I have seen videos of you playing and I would say the C2 could suit your FH. You might want to check out the video of tennis2table on the C2. That will give you an idea.

Thank you, sounds tempting.  Too bad there's nowhere to play due to  covid lockdown here.

P.S.: Fame at last! LOLLOLLOL

P.P.S: Watched the tennis2table's review of C2. I don't speak French but the reviewer is a much better player than me and can probably make any grippy rubber look good :-) 

Edited by vvk1 - 01/09/2021 at 3:32pm
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Cheers. 

Thanks.

I am planning on boosting C2 but only in 2-3 weeks. I want to try it unboosted on a 7 ply offensive blade. I will report back here with my findings. Also, I am getting a sheet of C1 for the same reason. Btw, I absolutely hated V1 and R1.

Great news about the C1 will look forward to your review. The R1 and V1 I haven't heard amazing things from to be honest either ... Cheers and thanks again.
Rinforzando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinforzando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 3:40pm
I'm planning to try it in the next few weeks. I already glued it, I just need to find a partner.

He basically says that the C2 is a bit less effective than the C1 at the table, but it is more versatile, with a greater catapult effect and he was impressed by the curve.

There is another review (more an ad btw) of the C1/C2 (black rubber is C2, red is C1) at 0:39 you can see the power of the rubber
Blade: Nblades power plant 1 ply Hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 7:25pm
from what i have gathered, c1 and C2 should be similar to Omega 7 China with some other differences. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 6:17am
A quick update: I managed to play a little with a guy whose setup was a Gewo Robles OFF- with an untuned Xiom Omega V Euro and a Nittaku Fastarc P1. My setup was a 7 ply blade, namely a Tibhar Bernadette Szocs Signature 1 with the untuned Bluegrip C2 on one side and a rather worn tuned Z2.

I asked my partner to topspin with both blades and here is what we found. The natural speed of the C2 was a little lower when he did his usual strokes. He had to make a minor adjustment to his stroke and this was mentioned by TTomar before. With the OVE he was able to do more of a "slap" but with the C2 he had to force himself to do a full topspin stroke.

Once he got the hang of it, he was able to produce more or less the same speed with both rubbers at the cost of having to spend a bit more energy with the C2.

The reward of using the C2 manifested in the ball curve. All of his loops had a noticeably higher arc and landed at the end of the table.

At the end of the session I took off the C2 and started boosting it alongside a Z1. As I said before, the sponge of the C2 is different to the Z series. It is more rigid for sure. Accordingly, it did not react to Falco Long as vividly as did the Z1. The same amount of booster resulted in a big dome on the Z1 but the C2 only curved a little in the center. Another thing is that there was no increase in the size of the C2.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinforzando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2021 at 1:46pm
I just trained today a little with this rubber on fh and the arc was indeed very impressive. It may be 55 degrees but I don't feel it
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 2:47pm
I have been testing the C1 and the C2 for some time now. It looks like the C1 has no advantages over the C2 in terms of playing characteristics. Also, it seems there is no benefit to boosting either of them.

The C1 is a very heavy rubber, mine was 85 grams uncut and 58-59 grams cut to a 157x150 blade. With a little glue it will easily reach 60, making it 10 grams heavier than an MXP / Z1. It is a little slower than the C2 and it is less easy to put the opponent under pressure if you are forced into a rally.

Further tests are going to take place over the next two weeks and it looks like I will be able to have a full regular training session in about a week. So far I am inclined to say that the C2 is a very good rubber and can be recommended to all the players who want a lot of precision in their opening topspins. A precision that Z1 or Z2 lack in my opinion.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2021 at 7:31pm
I have tested the C1 and C2 again and I am going to give my final thoughts on these two rubbers. The C2 was on my Tibhar Szocs FL in the company of a worn Bluestorm Z1. The C1 was on a Xiom Stradivarius FL along with a worn Z2.

My Stradivarius is the most recent design with that reddish handle. Unfortunately the handle is wide and at the same time rather flat. I wish it had the same handle as the Tibhar Szocs FL. But other than that, this Stradivarius is an awesome blade in terms of build quality, speed and playing characteristics, easily on a par with Butterfly ALC / ZLC. Highly recommended.

So here are my thoughts: the C1 and C2 are a huge upgrade from Z1 and Z2 in terms of reliability and of the quality of the topspin shots they can produce at lower gears. Both are very reliable when it comes to playing slower topspins or opening topspins.

As for weight, my C1 was 85 grams uncut in the usual 170x170 square. It can easily reach 59-60 grams on a standard 157x150 blade which makes it pointless to use on both sides unless you are looking to win the title Mr Universe of the ITTF. The C2 was 72 grams uncut which is normal for ESN rubbers.  The main difference between the two is that the C1 is obviously harder, a tad slower than C2 and I feel it can produce more spin on slow topspins. However, it behaves the more hybrid of the two and consequently may upset your timing if you are used to completely euro rubbers. C2 does not require so much of an adjustment.

On the whole, I think of them as rubbers slightly below the speed range of Bluestorm Z2 but with exceptionally well upgraded spin delivery and grip. However, in spite of the expectations we may have had for them, I firmly believe they are not in the league of a T05, let alone Butterfly's new Dignics variant. They lack the raw power of MXP, maybe even MXS.

My conclusion is that a lot of players will like these who feel that Donic's Z series are a little vague on ball contact. The C1 might suit those players better on the backhand who do one well-placed opening topspin with the backhand and then pivot and try to do power forehand play with a faster rubber like MXP. Those who expect that the C1 is like a Chinese rubber will be not be fully happy with it. Overall, maintaining that I appreciate Donic's efforts in producing something really new, I believe that semi professionals who do not get their rubber sheets but play at a high level will still rather use MXP / MXP50 or MXS on both sides. The C1 and the C2's target audience would be the strong intermediate crowd or anyone who does not play too high levels of competition, maybe people who do coaching but cannot afford to buy new sheets of Tenergy or Dignics every month.
andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2021 at 7:58pm
Had chance to play with C2, I think everything you write here is true.
I can say that, C2 is good rubber. Audience is big because C2 is not the spinniest, with the highest kick with super crazy spin, nah but if the spin/quality/speed won't Disappear very fast. This will be normal rubber for normal player and coaches. It is more like mxp50  with more window.on own errors, I don't know how long you can play with that rubber but this is the key of existence to the market, so you have point here too. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinforzando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2021 at 8:47am
I have tried the bluegrip C2 on backhand and forehand for nearly one month now. Never tested a tenergy so I can't compare. But I can compare to Rasanter R47 and Fastarc G1.

R47 is way bouncier than Bluegrip C2. It means that in the short game, C2 is easier to play with. C2 provides also more spin in all compartment compared to R47 or G1. 

In term of hardness, it doesn't feel very hard. If I didn't knew the hardness of R47, G1 and C2 it will be very hard for me to find out what rubber is the hardest.

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2021 at 1:15pm
I reviewed the C1, C2, Rasanter R48 and the Yasaka Z Extra Hard late last fall for TT11. I have urged them to get the reviews published. 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinforzando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2021 at 1:28pm
I can't wait anymore to read your review ! I check your website multiple times per week to see if the review has moved from preview to archive - rubber reviews haha
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2021 at 1:30pm
Hahaha - I know. Unfortunately, I don't control when they publish the reviews. I do nudge them once in a while though :)

Feedback
andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Rinforzando Rinforzando wrote:

I have tried the bluegrip C2 on backhand and forehand for nearly one month now. Never tested a tenergy so I can't compare. But I can compare to Rasanter R47 and Fastarc G1.

R47 is way bouncier than Bluegrip C2. It means that in the short game, C2 is easier to play with. C2 provides also more spin in all compartment compared to R47 or G1. 

In term of hardness, it doesn't feel very hard. If I didn't knew the hardness of R47, G1 and C2 it will be very hard for me to find out what rubber is the hardest.

g1 and 05 has way more easy spin than C2.
C2 is not Spinnier than G1
R47 has better spin than C2
C2 is good in short game, 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinforzando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2021 at 1:24pm
I'm sorry but I must disagree with you. I think we do not have the same assessment because we have different stroke and your stroke must be more suitable for G1 or R47.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the Bluegrip C2 and I will stick with it.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2021 at 1:21pm

Feedback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinforzando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2021 at 1:10pm
I'm still playing with the Bluegrip C2. White marks has appeared on the surface of the topsheet like chinese rubber but it doesn't affect the playing characteristic of the rubber.  It still has the same tackiness as in the early days. Just make sure you clean it and put a protective sheet after every playing sessions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic