Print Page | Close Window

Looking to EJ a bit

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Coaching & Tips
Forum Description: Learn more about TT from the experts. Feel free to share your knowledge & experience.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86801
Printed Date: 01/27/2020 at 1:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Looking to EJ a bit
Posted By: blahness
Subject: Looking to EJ a bit
Date Posted: 09/22/2019 at 11:36pm
Currently using a Stiga Clipper CR, if I wanna move up the blade speed rating a bit farther, what are some good cheap blades?

I'm using it with Hurricane 8 on FH and Hurricane 3-50 on BH...


-------------
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Orange Sponge



Replies:
Posted By: kanialSmiredian
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 12:34am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

what are some good cheap blades?

I'm using it with Hurricane 8 on FH and Hurricane 3-50 on BH...

Can you be a little bit more vague ?   (Just kidding)

If you are using Chinese rubbers  why not as well try cheap Chinese blades. There are 1000s of blade brands you can try .  I am not against or for Chinese products per se (associated global politics) but Chinese  TT products have come a long way & the clones & imitations & fakes are just as good as Japanese & European originals. 

If you really want originals, you can first narrow down to a Chinese clone & look for Japanese & European originals. But unless you are a professional player I don't see any significant difference. 

Take for example ZLC or ALC blades or say Viscaria etc. There are so many Chinese clones. 


Posted By: DarkerMyLove
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 2:06am
"If" the DHS Power G5X plays anything like the DHS Long 5X (which i have) that could be a very cheap option if you are aggressive with topspin / counterlooping. 




Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 2:14am
What is your priority? Price or performance? At what point would you consider a blade too expensive?

Giving a price range might help others offer some suggestions.

FdT




Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 3:42am
Originally posted by DarkerMyLove DarkerMyLove wrote:

"If" the DHS Power G5X plays anything like the DHS Long 5X (which i have) that could be a very cheap option if you are aggressive with topspin / counterlooping. 



I tried that, I felt it was worse than Clipper in most respects (power G5), the clipper just seems to have a larger sweet spot and feels very solid when hitting hard...


-------------
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Orange Sponge


Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 3:43am
Originally posted by kanialSmiredian kanialSmiredian wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

what are some good cheap blades?

I'm using it with Hurricane 8 on FH and Hurricane 3-50 on BH...

Can you be a little bit more vague ?   (Just kidding)

If you are using Chinese rubbers  why not as well try cheap Chinese blades. There are 1000s of blade brands you can try .  I am not against or for Chinese products per se (associated global politics) but Chinese  TT products have come a long way & the clones & imitations & fakes are just as good as Japanese & European originals. 

If you really want originals, you can first narrow down to a Chinese clone & look for Japanese & European originals. But unless you are a professional player I don't see any significant difference. 

Take for example ZLC or ALC blades or say Viscaria etc. There are so many Chinese clones. 

How does a ZLC or ALC blade compare to the clipper?


-------------
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Orange Sponge


Posted By: BRS
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 10:10am
Just don't. Take your partner on a date, give the money to charity, buy yourself some new clothes.  Any of those will improve your TT relative to ejing a bit.


Posted By: kanialSmiredian
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:


What is your priority? Price or performance? At what point would you consider a blade too expensive?
Giving a price range might help others offer some suggestions.
FdT
 

I know you banned me from answering you, since this is a private post in a public forum. So let me apologize for indulging by answering.

Of course the priority is performance over price , but then again can you afford the price ?

But you must also be careful not to live in a fantasy world about the saturation point of your  performance and where it is (in the past, now or in the future).

EJs spend thousands & thousands hoping that they will be Ma Longs or Timo Bolls but the reality is something else. Some even fantasize about being a carbon copy of their pro idol while their playing style may be completely different. It is like my spending thousands of dollars too be like Jiang Jiliang or He Shewen while the reality is that I don't have what it takes to be a short pips hitter.  Or it is like someone with lead feet fantasizing to be like Joo Sahyuk  or Michael Maze or Mikeal Appelgren 

On the flipside there are players who are either too cheap  & worry about spending $50 to buy a "ping pong"racket. Or are too clueless to change their racket to match their style just because they badly want to fit into the table-tennis "society" (well more like a cess pool) & worry they may offend the majority players , who use smooth rubber & suffer through their entire life

So you need to find the right balance.

Asking for a price range is as crazy as asking about whether you can afford $50 a night for someone selling on the streets or $50000 for the same service from elite services though both maybe sins or illegal or unethical or perfectly OK depending on your personal beliefs.
 


Posted By: kanialSmiredian
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 11:32am
[QUOTE=BRS]Just don't. Take your partner on a date, /QUOTE]

Did you meet your partner on your very first date of your life and got married ?

I am not saying it could not happen but how often ?

But then again I should shut up because in many countries the bride never even gets to (or got to) see the groom in extreme arranged marriages.

Gives a totally new meaning to mail-order-bride when you order a racket on Ali Express 

One thing for sure : Equipment manufacturers  maybe considering a lawsuit against you now for your comments.  Just like the Beef Manufacturers sued Oprah Winfrey

PS :- The only dumber answer I can think of (than BRS's) is " Switch to hardbat (or sandpaper)"
Aw shucks  Berndt Mann, Scott Gordon & Hardbat Association will sue ME now 


Posted By: patrickhrdlicka
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Currently using a Stiga Clipper CR, if I wanna move up the blade speed rating a bit farther, what are some good cheap blades?

I'm using it with Hurricane 8 on FH and Hurricane 3-50 on BH...

One recommendation would be the Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition. It is a 10% faster version of the Clipper CR, while still being a 7-ply blade.


-------------
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/PatricksPingPongPassion

USATT rating: 2k+


Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 09/23/2019 at 5:40pm
I would try a BBC Hinoki Ghost for the pleasure of a powerful all wood blade with no vibrations and a lot of warm softish feel. I have 2 in LEO shape (a bit oversize) and they are 91gr ST with a beefy handle. It is more powerful than the clipper even though it's a 5 ply blade (dense mahogany core with thicj outer hinoki plies). Some can be found at 83gr and do not vibrate either, are fast and soft but those will be about the same speed as the Clipper. An oversized at 90-92gr is better. A real all wood pleasure at $100.
In inexpensive composite I would try the http://www.amazon.com/Pingponghouse-Table-Tennis-Blade-Handle/dp/B07B22ZX66" rel="nofollow - Achoomai ZLC blade, you really can't go wrong. If you want to spend a bit more in composite, a http://www.amazon.com/XIOM-Vega-Pro-ST-Blade/dp/B0157EAQFC/ref=sr_1_18?m=A2Z8WXH83LXGV&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1569275039&refinements=p_4%3AXIOM&s=merchant-items&sr=1-18" rel="nofollow - discontinued Vega Pro  ZLC is a sure value too.



-------------
forum_posts.asp?TID=87220" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback
HTTP://ROSSLEIDY.COM" rel="nofollow - Treat Yourself


Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 12:32am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Just don't. Take your partner on a date, give the money to charity, buy yourself some new clothes.  Any of those will improve your TT relative to ejing a bit.

Lol! I might actually take this advice actually.... 


-------------
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Orange Sponge


Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 2:05am
"Asking for a price range is as crazy as asking about whether you can afford $50 a night for someone selling on the streets or $50000 for blah blah blah f**king blah"

This is bs.

 OP asked what are cheap blades out there. So it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask what the price range is for a blade to be considered.

What exactly is so crazy about asking the price range? Nothing. Nothing at all. How bizarre that you think it is. What color is the sky in your world? Have you been diagnosed yet?

FdT 


Posted By: TSuBaSa
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 3:31am
stiga carbo 7.6 is just a faster and a  bit crispier clipper. 
I think you'll like it...


-------------
Xiom Feel AX ST

BTF T80 FX

BTF T80 FX



Posted By: Fabian1890
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 4:14am
Well to be honest I don't think there are many blades which are faster than a Clipper CR. What's the weight of your current blade?

Clipper CR has really high top end speed but is not super bouncy. If you are looking for something with a faster 'release', more bounce and speed in the short game, then get a outer Carbon/koto blade like Ovtcharov True Carbon, Boll ALC etc, just don't pick a light one as you might end up with a slower blade than before.

If you like the current feeling and just want a bit more speed on harder shots, try the Fang BO ALC, which is cheap but similiar to the Long V.


Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

Well to be honest I don't think there are many blades which are faster than a Clipper CR. What's the weight of your current blade?

Clipper CR has really high top end speed but is not super bouncy. If you are looking for something with a faster 'release', more bounce and speed in the short game, then get a outer Carbon/koto blade like Ovtcharov True Carbon, Boll ALC etc, just don't pick a light one as you might end up with a slower blade than before.

If you like the current feeling and just want a bit more speed on harder shots, try the Fang BO ALC, which is cheap but similiar to the Long V.

Clipper is really amazing at the top end as you said, especially the FH feeling is amazing because it is very stable and controllable even at high power levels. 

I feel like I don't exactly lack power on both wings and am perfectly able to finish off balls (footwork is my main problem which setups cannot solve), so probably there is no point trying a faster setup. It's maybe just for curiousity lol...


-------------
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Orange Sponge


Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 8:53am
Believe me it is not going to just "a bit". Would be too late until you realize it hahahhaa

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of ADIDAS, STIGA, TIBHAR, NEXY, JOOLA, ALSER & XVT

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach


Posted By: piligrim
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 9:03am
just put faster rubbers. don't need to change blade


Posted By: UnLooped
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 10:23am
All this is very confusing to me. I see that EJ means Equipment junkie. I have played for about 10 years at my house. I am trying to play at some clubs now. I was surprised about some clubs being out there. I am interested. 
I sometimes play with a bat that has like no sponge. It has some blue thing on top with some kind of pips (as you call it here) . Other times I use my younger sister's racket when she comes home visiting from college. What she uses has some orange sponge below the rubber that is very smooth and no pips.She told me it is called inverted. Strangely it has red rubber on one side but black on the other side.I beat her most of the time. But when I use her racket I beat her rather easily and as I put lot of topspin (like in tennis with Nadal, you table-tennis players here may not be familiar with that amount of topspin, Federer they say is best but he has not that much topspin.) English on the ball. She said it is called Loop and I joke to her that I Unlooped her & she gets mad. But I don't get that much spin at all with my blue racket
Anyway as far as being an equipment junkie what does that mean ? I seem to prefer the red/black bat to blue bat. But then I know this friend of my father who is around 82 years old. He says the blue bat is better. I have no idea why but he goes off about how it was when he played etc. Which only confuses me more
Any advice is appreciated on selecting the right racket. I feel I can beat most players here as I have lost only to this neighbour from Germany who has a very different racket. The ball has too much English (or should I say German on it HaHa) on it.
 
Any advice is appreciated.



Posted By: lgxb
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 12:17pm
For faster one, try Yinhe Pro power or Sword blue feather.


Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 09/26/2019 at 11:17am
mcollins has an Achoomai ZLC FS $ $30.  http://mytabletennis.net/forum/fs-numerous-blades_topic79022_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/fs-numerous-blades_topic79022_page1.html  Even with high shipping rates between Canada and Australia it might let you get a like new zlc blade at under $50 delivered at your door.
then you could write a review there?  http://mytabletennis.net/forum/achoomais-new-zlcblade_topic82902.html" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/achoomais-new-zlcblade_topic82902.html


-------------
forum_posts.asp?TID=87220" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback
HTTP://ROSSLEIDY.COM" rel="nofollow - Treat Yourself


Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 09/26/2019 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by UnLooped UnLooped wrote:

All this is very confusing to me. I see that EJ means Equipment junkie. I have played for about 10 years at my house. I am trying to play at some clubs now. I was surprised about some clubs being out there. I am interested. 
I sometimes play with a bat that has like no sponge. It has some blue thing on top with some kind of pips (as you call it here) . Other times I use my younger sister's racket when she comes home visiting from college. What she uses has some orange sponge below the rubber that is very smooth and no pips.She told me it is called inverted. Strangely it has red rubber on one side but black on the other side.I beat her most of the time. But when I use her racket I beat her rather easily and as I put lot of topspin (like in tennis with Nadal, you table-tennis players here may not be familiar with that amount of topspin, Federer they say is best but he has not that much topspin.) English on the ball. She said it is called Loop and I joke to her that I Unlooped her & she gets mad. But I don't get that much spin at all with my blue racket
Anyway as far as being an equipment junkie what does that mean ? I seem to prefer the red/black bat to blue bat. But then I know this friend of my father who is around 82 years old. He says the blue bat is better. I have no idea why but he goes off about how it was when he played etc. Which only confuses me more
Any advice is appreciated on selecting the right racket. I feel I can beat most players here as I have lost only to this neighbour from Germany who has a very different racket. The ball has too much English (or should I say German on it HaHa) on it.
 
Any advice is appreciated.


It sounds like you're friends with Berndt Mann's son...

seriously the old pips out paddles are called hard bats and they don't spin the ball much, esp if they're old

EJ basically means you're into equipment beyond what's necessary to play.  Changing too much in fact can be harmful, but especially in light of potentially spending the time in training that you were spending on trying equipment.


-------------
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.


Posted By: bars
Date Posted: 10/05/2019 at 2:52pm
i also recently switch from a clipper. switching to an inner carbon blade might be more similar then outter carbon. but for ejing u might want to feel the difference. blade weight is also a big thing.. my clipper was 100g compared to a 85g clipper its alot different i think.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic86906_post1079407.html#1079407" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic86906_post1079407.html#1079407

i have 3 different blades for sale cheap. 1 zlc outter carbon(zxi)79g 1 alc outter carbon(viscaria)86g 1 alc inner carbon(hlong5)93g

zxi has control and similar speed to viscaria. viscaria has better feel. hl5 has top end speed.


Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 10/05/2019 at 8:20pm
Blahness, if you refer to the "Rules" thread you will see commandments, not from the ITTF, but from the Ping Pong Gods themselves.

You are not only allowed to EJ, you are mandated to do so.  Thumbs Up

Thus,  Rule 20 states "The correct number of blades to own is n + 1 where n is the number you own now."  There is an exemption for people in committed relationships that states that "the correct number of blades to own is s -1 where s is the number of blades that causes your partner to leave you".

Bear in mind, however Rule 27.  While it is allowed and perhaps even mandated to own an insane number of blades, it is not allowed to believe that the next one you buy will appreciably improve your level. 

Actually in all seriousness, I would suggest that in this era of 40+ balls, you might find an inexpensive version of a Butterfly ALC to see if that kind of composite agrees with you.  That basic design has been copied by a lot of companies.  Or if you feel ok with spending more, the Butterfly Viscaria is one of the greatest blades ever and a substantial percentage of people who try them stick with them.  Compared to Clipper it will be a bit faster with a more muted feel (the ALC absorbs a lot of high frequency vibrations), but not stiffer (it still allows some lower frequency vibration) but it has a lot of gears and your short game will not suffer, and may even be better.  The weight distribution will feel similar.


Posted By: M.Hoang
Date Posted: 10/06/2019 at 1:39am
pg5x, not pg5. I also tried pg5 but it is very hard to control, because of heavy head, too fast speed, and so much vibration... i haven`t play with pg5x, can you show me the diffrence?



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net