Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2016 World Championship WTTTC (Feb 28-Mar 06)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2016 World Championship WTTTC (Feb 28-Mar 06)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
Author
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:29am
This will be Li X last year she will be playing CNT after RIO.

The Brit men's Team just used up too much adrenaline the night before they played pretty lack lustre compared vs the Chinese.

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 03/05/2016 at 9:32am
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:34am
In any case, England played incredibly well even in this semifinal. I never thought they had a chance and here... if only a couple of points went Liam's way, he would have beaten both Yoshimura and Mizutani and they would have been going to the final. Amazing, really...

And yes he did choke some... but come on. The fact that he was holding matchpoints in both matches is already a huge thing. He is 22. Walker is 20, and Drinkhall is 26. If they keep it up I can see them going very far in 2017-2018, especially taking into account that both Worlds are in Europe. Although in 2018 nobody will be underestimating England, that's for sure...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:42am
A quick check revealed that Pitchford lost every match that went the full distance.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:50am
Walker is more promising than Pitchford. If you do not have the mental power, you just do not have it. Hard to train.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:55am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Walker is more promising than Pitchford. If you do not have the mental power, you just do not have it. Hard to train.

Walker doesn't overcommit and make easy mistakes, and will still maintain huge pressure and punish poor shots decisively. He's kinda like Zhang Jike in this aspect. Liam is more like Xu Xin who has a very free flowing attacking style which works terrible if he freezes and stops going for his shots. He needs to train up his nerves a lot!
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Dignics 09c
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 10:15am
This Pitchford vs Walker is hilarious.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 10:21am
I did some more digging and found out Pitchford lost every single match that went the whole distance in the entire 2015.  The last time he won a 5-gamer was back in late 2014.  Before that, he actually did surprisingly well in the final game.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 10:38am
Quality of opposition and specific weaknesses play a bigger role than people realize.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 10:55am
That's right, as those are irrelevant to mental toughness.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 11:24am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

And yes he did choke some... but come on. The fact that he was holding matchpoints in both matches is already a huge thing.

Pitchford didn't have a match point against Yoshimura. He was up 9-6, then the ball broke, and he lost the next 5 points.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 11:34am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

A quick check revealed that <span style="line-height: 11.2px;">Pitchford lost </span>every match that went the full distance<span style="line-height: 11.2px;">.</span>

TABLE TENNIS AN ATHLETICFUL SPORT, AS YET ...

Pitchfotd William skiny boy, much like a young chicken. He will better do as a darts player in the London gambling hell. Not fit to play the athletic games.
Smashing a few lobs would render him out of breath. No physical endurance, sorry.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 11:38am
Pitchford should have done a WLQ.

Edited by zeio - 03/05/2016 at 11:40am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 11:45am
Both India teams won the second division.

Division 3 went to Iranian women and Luxembourg men (USA's first opponent).
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

And yes he did choke some... but come on. The fact that he was holding matchpoints in both matches is already a huge thing.

Pitchford didn't have a match point against Yoshimura. He was up 9-6, then the ball broke, and he lost the next 5 points.

Oh yeah. sorry. I meant just that - that he was also super close to the win. Basically an inch here and there, and he would have won both matches. That's life...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

A quick check revealed that <span style="line-height: 11.2px;">Pitchford lost </span>every match that went the full distance<span style="line-height: 11.2px;">.</span>

TABLE TENNIS AN ATHLETICFUL SPORT, AS YET ...

Pitchfotd William skiny boy, much like a young chicken. He will better do as a darts player in the London gambling hell. Not fit to play the athletic games.
Smashing a few lobs would render him out of breath. No physical endurance, sorry.

But he s more capable than your russian boys filled with muscles only for lifting a glass of vodka
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 1:38pm
Let's keep the trash talk up.  I'm loving it.  Below is a recap.  Did I miss any?

"To me France doesn't exist.  I don't know how they got first place in the group but i'm sure it's a fluke and not worth looking into." - Victor_the_cleaner

"France exists more than your native Bulgaria in this competition; now as the cleaner, why don't you go wash your mouth with soap after eructing such silliness?" - fatt

"Pitchfotd William skiny boy, much like a young chicken. He will better do as a darts player in the London gambling hell. Not fit to play the athletic games. 
Smashing a few lobs would render him out of breath. No physical endurance, sorry." - igorponger

"But he s more capable than your russian boys filled with muscles only for lifting a glass of vodka" - bbkon

Edited by zeio - 03/05/2016 at 1:40pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 3:00pm
If Ma Long goes 3-0 all the way, that has got to be some kind of record.
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 6:08pm
I think Korea and Japan should play for second place. Sounds weird, since one nation went one round further than the other, but it all depends which bracket you fall into.

The Chinese domination has reached its peak. They had to bench world #2 vs Korea. I predict that after FZD there will be a vacuum that will be filled by some players that are ... mortal. Even with the chinese school, to get XX, ZJK and ML, with FZD overlapping, is just too much. Now its time for Waldner and Person and Boll to start coaching and produce some talent!
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 6:45pm
(zeio)  Let's keep the trash talk up.  I'm loving it.  Below is a recap.  Did I miss any?

None of these gobeens could take Joe Greene at a happy hour beer pong funfest at Dick's Den, let alone at an acoustic, unplugged, roots pong match without their sauteed nanotechnologized security blankets.  Give us all a break; this isn't writing, it's table tennis typing.  Perfect.

bmann 

Edited by berndt_mann - 03/05/2016 at 6:46pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

I think Korea and Japan should play for second place. Sounds weird, since one nation went one round further than the other, but it all depends which bracket you fall into.

The Chinese domination has reached its peak. They had to bench world #2 vs Korea. I predict that after FZD there will be a vacuum that will be filled by some players that are ... mortal. Even with the chinese school, to get XX, ZJK and ML, with FZD overlapping, is just too much. Now its time for Waldner and Person and Boll to start coaching and produce some talent!

It is not going to be soon that any country can challenge China. FZD will be kicking for another ten years and ML four years or more. 
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

(zeio)  Let's keep the trash talk up.  I'm loving it.  Below is a recap.  Did I miss any?

None of these gobeens could take Joe Greene at a happy hour beer pong funfest at Dick's Den, let alone at an acoustic, unplugged, roots pong match without their sauteed nanotechnologized security blankets.  Give us all a break; this isn't writing, it's table tennis typing.  Perfect.

bmann 
Not gonna Google it... Not 'writing but typing.' Gore on Keroauc? Or Copote on Kerouac?  And for the record: it's goMbeens.  But respect, Bernt. Respect.

BTW, as an Irishman, who lived in Japan for 5 years, and was pulling for both, can't we just say that Mizutani played really, really well and had more experience at those crucial points?  I don't think Pitchford choked at all. He tightened up a bit...a bit...but Jun played really well and stayed at the table. Bang. 50 odd ranking places in the difference?  Come on...  

England were great. Shows what investment in the sport can do.  I also predict that UK will overtake Germany and France in the European rankings, much like Portugal and Greece have done, in the next few years.  Hopefully, there will be some overspill in Ireland! 
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

It is not going to be soon that any country can challenge China. FZD will be kicking for another ten years and ML four years or more. 

They still have yan an liang jinkun yu zijang and some other kids that are coming up.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 7:36pm
Top level sport is brutal.Pitchford played 2 fantastic matches against guys ranked much higher than him. He came up a little short at the end and they played brilliantly and kept taking risks and pulling the shots off. Now he's a choker.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 8:42pm
(kevo) 
Not gonna Google it... Not 'writing but typing.' Gore on Keroauc? Or Copote on Kerouac?  And for the record: it's goMbeens.  But respect, Bernt. Respect.

Brilliant.  For the record, it is indeed gombeens, not gobeens. And Mr. Capote's last name is Capote, not Copote.  My first name is spelled Berndt, not Bernt.  And to my knowledge, I am one-half Irish ancestry; one-half Pomeranian.  My mother's ancestors' last names were Bagley, Kelly, and Downing.  Had my mother, christened Rosina Downing Bagley, her way, I might have been named O'Donovan Rossa Mann.  Fine name, that; but I'm content with my own.

And I'll begin to respect competitive table tennis when it begins to respect itself.  Away with the illegal serving, boosting, dumping of matches, and National Team rubbers that mere mortals have no access to.

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 8:51pm
you're part dog?!?! Beer
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:15pm
I'm having such a good time reading.  Keep 'em comin!
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:40pm
So which team is everyone picking to win...amateur has posted his i  mirrored his LOL <= *wait* Cry

what say yea

• Women
  • Men

The prize is bragging rights for 1 minute Thumbs Up

*where's that guy i hate? how come no pictures of my Canadians? CensoredHug

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 03/05/2016 at 9:42pm
dewnyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dewnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Hello all,

3/6 19:30 local time means Final starts 3:30am PST and 6:30am EST Sunday 3/6 (very) early morning is this correct?

Yes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:48pm
but the women start around 1am Thumbs Up
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by The Canadian Bacon The Canadian Bacon wrote:

but the women start around 1am Thumbs Up
==========================

I think women's team final starts at 1:30 AM (US Eastern) Sunday.
skip3119
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
  Share Topic