Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Long, short, in, out pimples What are they?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long, short, in, out pimples What are they?!
    Posted: 12/11/2007 at 9:48pm
can someone telling me what these different pimples are? and long and short pimples be in and out? is pimples out the dots on the rubber surface? are these just for people who dont play spin? is it called pips?
Sponsored Links

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2007 at 10:34pm
yep its called pips, its the dots on the surface,

long pimples are mainly used for defenders as it can take the pace off the ball very easily compared to inverted. it reverses the spin, or gives u back ur own spin but in the opposite direction to which the spin came in the first place.

so ur top will become back when he chops it with his lp, and if u give him backspin, it'll become floating or mild topspin. lp cant generate alot of spin, thats y it relies on ur own spin, which sometimes may confuse opponents, if they cant read the spin right. lp can add more spin coming back to u depending on the pips itslef and the way they brush, hit or chop the ball. watch for contact and listen to the sound, is it  soft hard? that will determine the quantitiy of spin coming back

lp can also be used for close to the table blockers and attackers. lp on the bh side can disrupt the rhythm of the player, hitting through the spin without any effect to them. deng yaping was a master of this, google her and u will know. however, IMO, if u just block a topspin ball, with no actual active movement, it will come back to them as floating ball, u gotta actually generate some of ur moevemt to get any real effect. i think frictionless pimples r banned, cause no matter what move u do, the same spin will come back to them, even if u just tap the ball back, so their ultra heavy top, will come back as viscious backspin.

i think friction lp encourage ppl to be more active? i dunno its just a guess.

but yeh lp can be used to defend and attack [joo se hyuk, chen wexing.

carl prean, deng yaping etc.

short pips, unlike lp, can generate spin, but not as much as inverted. it can hit through the spin, and theres more emphasis on speed, power and flat hitting shots. look at ai fukahara, luo guoliang, they flat hit the ball, more speed than spin.
my coach uses short pips on the fh, and the speed there is amazing. when blocking with short pips, it gives the ball  aslight wobble effect, al though it depends on the pimples itself, theres just too many pimples in the market to comprehend here. some short pips, when blocking against topspin, will give back some backspin, although not as viscious [from my exp]

with sp, u can definitely create spin, lui guoliang proved the world with his awesome penholder serves, even waldner couldnt beat him for like 8 yrs.
ppl playing with pips arent junk players, u need to be very skilled to properly master them in order to exploit the charactersitics of these rubbers.

sure there r ppl who buy them just to cover their weakness [ i know some and their bh's are still terrible lol] but if  u r a beginner, go with inverted, learn everything with normal rubber, because its the easiest to understnad, learn from and ur basics will be solid from there.

however, when u have mastered everything, and u want to choose ur own path, like i want to be a chopper, then sure go for it. but even joo se hyuk learnt the basics as he was learning young. dont go with pips straight off, it will affect u too much.

i know this chopper whos got a son, and hes already using lp on the bh side, and when i see him play, hes pretty much dead on the bh, when prompted to learn the bh topspin, he doesnt know how to.....

anyway thats my 2c. this is a genralistion and if it doesnt fit what todays standards are, then i take back what i said.

i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2007 at 10:37pm

oh, all pips are on the hitting side of the rubber?

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2007 at 11:20pm
The Man gave a great explanation! That's just one reason why he's THE MAN!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2007 at 11:25pm

Have a question!!! If I serve underspin, is it possible for LP opponent to return underspin back?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2007 at 11:27pm
it just works like when you spin against the wall, some people get confused and think why pips can suddenly make the ball spin the oppoite direction, but no. when spin comes back to you its naturally reversed, try it on the wall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2007 at 11:29pm
Really? You mean ....it will come back only topspin?
Are you sure about this?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2007 at 11:33pm
yes i am sure, try serving backspin onto the wall an see what do you get...top spin
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 3:09am
did i say topspin? well what i meant was, when u serve backspin, depending on the kind of active or passive movement by the pips, it can become a dead ball or mild topspin.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 4:08am
A lot of the time it is dead balls from long pips. When it reverses spin, it is pretty obvious.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 8:20am
but when loopers arent used to hitting forward, rather than always brushing up, it breaks the rhythm alot, i know my mate, heavy spinner, loses against lp players like this,
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

Leon Reid View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 8:24am
if you dont know much about pips then u will find it hard to learn just by people telling you on this. is there nobody playing with pips near you???

pips are a very varied thing and there effect can change immensily by a small change in the rubber.

there are friction pips and non friction
short and long
mid pips
pips with sponge
and pips without
also different makes of pips have different amounts of effect

you really need to be workin with or against them to learn all the different cmobintaions
Seen it all done it all lost the t-shirt

Time is fikle so dont waste a second

Freinds are fikle but feel free 2 squander them

Blade:Clipper WRB
FH:Vario Soft
BH:Neos
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 8:32am

Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Have a question!!! If I serve underspin, is it possible for LP opponent to return underspin back?

lulz. This made me laugh. Im pretty sure it was sarcasm as Bogeyhunter is a 2000 rated player who uses LP on the backhand.....

Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 1:02pm
that question depends on friction or frictionless pips frinction less has that wall effect and friction and do other spins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

lulz. This made me laugh. Im pretty sure it was sarcasm as Bogeyhunter is a 2000 rated player who uses LP on the backhand.....

Very smart!!!
Don't tell them!!!!!!!!!!!!Angry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 10:54pm
Oh...OOPS! I didn't know it was a secret!

What i meant to say was....Bogeyhunter probably plays just like his name implies, rather sub-par. Meaning he isn't up to par with basic shots and oftenh as trouble with long pips. Ive seen his vids and he pretty much sucks.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2007 at 12:31am

Haha. Bogeyhunter not able to manipulate spin with his friction LP? Haha.

Even funnier? Try telling him his FH attack from his $7 rubber is not suitable for any level above beginner to intermediate.

Lildude, how is your FH loop with Bigslam coming along? You must have become pretty consistant by now.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Netherlands '91 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netherlands '91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2007 at 1:35am
Well I think it's a great explanation by TheMan, very useful for some people to read Thanks!
Ma Lin Carbon
Globe999/Saviga
Inspirit

Donic Opticon
FH: Bryce
FH: Mambo H
BH: Almana Sound
BH: Sriver

BTY VSG Twist III
Stiga Classic All+
Waldner Senso Carbon
2x Sriver G2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2007 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Haha. Bogeyhunter not able to manipulate spin with his friction LP? Haha.

Even funnier? Try telling him his FH attack from his $7 rubber is not suitable for any level above beginner to intermediate.

Lildude, how is your FH loop with Bigslam coming along? You must have become pretty consistant by now.

MMMM consistency, i love that word. I understand it now, and why it is so important. Since we played, my FH has got MUCH more consistent. My FH pretty much rules now, it's just my Backhand is As sucky as it gets. I ditched the pips and I'm going back to inverted as I'm way more consistent with inverted. My FH is doing so well that I played my club owner last night(1750ish) and he hit EVERY ball to my BH as he knew as soon as one got to my FH he was dead. I need to get consistent with my BH and that should be what brings me to my goal of 1700.

Im most likely going to the Killerspin year in Chicago in a couple weeks, I should get around 1650 or so, if i play well.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic