Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Member of Acoustic and Violin Clan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282930
Author
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by sanwei2018 sanwei2018 wrote:

What best rubber for violin blade? I am an offensive player
Thanks

We found out that fastarc P1 makes a perfect match with Violin.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Sponsored Links

Halon X View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halon X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 10:14pm
What is good backhand rubber for Acoustic Carbon Inner? 
I will put Hurricane Pro3 Turbo Orange as FH... should I wait for Omega VII pro (what I read it is lightweight) to balance it
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 11:16pm
best to ask a chemist-friend (if available) to run mass spectrometry analysis on a piece of blade. the approach should be able to detect if animal collagen is present (likely component in hide glue). it may even tell you the type of animal that was used.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Halon X Halon X wrote:

What is good backhand rubber for Acoustic Carbon Inner? 
I will put Hurricane Pro3 Turbo Orange as FH... should I wait for Omega VII pro (what I read it is lightweight) to balance it

I have OV:T on mine. That worked well on my normal acoustic. 

I got an AC Inner like you on the black friday sales in late november, same OV:T but I was overseas for a month and a half so i didnt get to use it, and did my ankle ligaments coming back. Will try remember to post how I find it when I do get better in the next 6-7 weeks (hopefully!)

Edited by Basquests - 01/20/2018 at 7:58pm
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

best to ask a chemist-friend (if available) to run mass spectrometry analysis on a piece of blade. the approach should be able to detect if animal collagen is present (likely component in hide glue). it may even tell you the type of animal that was used.

Hm, not sure how mass spectrometery works in practice, but I suppose this would still involve sacrificing at least part of a blade to extract a sample of the glue. If not, I'd gladly ship a Violin to someone with an available "chemist-friend".
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2018 at 6:46pm
I think with plastic balls, both of these blades were overshadowed as pros that used Acoustic / other all-wood started moving to composites (like Carbonado 45 or Viscaria) to get some added pace.

However, the arrival of these new generation of rubbers with ultramax sponges have changed  that. I have tried playing with a few of these and you get crazy large arcs with long trajectories (as if I had dipped my blade into a bucket of speed glue before playing).

Now, I think a great combination for some to try would be Acoustic or Violin with one of these rubbers in ultramax thickness (Xiom Omega 7 pro / europe, Joola Rhyzer 48, Tibhar Aurus Prime, Donic Bluestorm Z1 / Z2, Rasanter R47 ultramax). You get same speed as with composite and old-style max (2.1mm) but with new crazy spin and better feel.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2018 at 7:33pm
I think a lot of pros moved to using 7-ply blades of the clipper class, than composites.

Definitely that class of blades is most suited for the plastic ball.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2018 at 11:31pm
For the current trend of close table play, Violin is becoming very suitable.

Acoustic is just another 5 ply wood blade, but violin is special. It's low and somehow flat curve can cause trouble for return. And violin can create heavy backspin in serves.
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2018 at 11:00pm
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_GiI83OPF1cwYlT9wUpMBw   

Use hard rubber with a flexible blade such as the Violin, per 

EmRatThich, among others

DHS ML5 (W968), Hurricane 3, Dignics 09c
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2018 at 12:00pm
I think a lot of pros moved to using 7-ply blades of the clipper class, than composites.

Definitely that class of blades is most suited for the plastic ball.

I'm not sure of the meaning of these statements.  What are the playing attributes of "7-ply blades of the clipper class" that are implicit in the statement?  Among my many challenges, I have always been hesitant to claim an understanding of the "plies-to-playing characteristics" principles that are often used as descriptive reference frames.

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2019 at 7:10am
hi I'm kind of reviving the thread 
I play with a violin but I don't like my current BH rubber at all ( yasaka rakza 7) but I really liked the acuda S2 on my coach bat (off + wood)
So I'm thinking of putting a Victas V>01 Limber ( or any other medium to low throw rubber with a 40-43° sponge).
Is it a sin to put a softer rubber on a flexible blade ? 
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2019 at 5:53am
Originally posted by max vdh max vdh wrote:

I play with a violin but I don't like my current BH rubber at all ( yasaka rakza 7) but I really liked the acuda S2 on my coach bat (off + wood)
So I'm thinking of putting a Victas V>01 Limber ( or any other medium to low throw rubber with a 40-43° sponge).

It isn't. Emmanuel Lebesson would have told you so, too, since he even won 2016 European Men's Singles Championship with Tibhar E. Lebesson blade and Tibhar Evolution FX-P rubbers.

Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2019 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Originally posted by max vdh max vdh wrote:

It isn't. Emmanuel Lebesson would have told you so, too, since he even won 2016 European Men's Singles Championship with Tibhar E. Lebesson blade and Tibhar Evolution FX-P rubbers.

Got it, learn to serve like lebesson. 

In seriousness, if you have the money or think it'll work for you, you need to try these things..

Im still confused as to how i started having 0 feeling and negative consistency when i changed from omega 4 something, to sigma 2 pro.

Then i changed to mxp after giving it a couple of sorry months woth the sigma, and from the first shot i had the grin back, even though it was on a mates blade and setup. 

The sigma 2 pro and mxp aren't that dissimilar in their objectives if im not mistaken, yet that made all the difference. 

Another anecdote is even changing from acoustic normal handle, to acoustic lg handle with carbon inner, was a boon too. Again, small difference, but noticeable and more optimal by a chunk
max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2019 at 1:19pm
Wouldn't the R47 feel about the same as rakza 7 or even faster ?
My current issue with rakza 7 is that it is too hard for my BH ( perfectly suits my FH though) .It isn't forgiving enough for my level, I either go to the net on little strokes or fly off the table on higher speed strokes. I went from 850 points to 1200 in a season but that still makes me only an intermediate level at most and I play at a local club with 1 training session a week, thus I can't have tons of coaching to fix my bad BH technique. I can go for top spin to top spin rallies on the FH side but I'd rather loop near the table and mid-distance and control with my BH until I get a better game sense. Right now I'm not worried about lack of power, bottoming out or my agressive serve return being punished for being too weak since my opponent can't punish me hard enough at this level.
Could you recommand me something a little more adapted to my level ? 
Otherwise I think I'll go with Ray's advice
d.g View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2019 at 4:27am
Hello,

I have a slow arm pull, 
so I'm playing rubbers around 42-5 degrees.
Is a Joola Rhyzm 425 or Tech too soft for the violin? or would it work?
alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 10:49am
hello everyone!

So I currently have two Acoustics (C-Pen):
1. 88g FH: DHS Skyline TG2 Neo, BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
Total weight: 191g 

2. 88g FH: DHS Skyline TG2 Provincial (BS), DHS Hurricane 3-50
Total weight: 191g

Previously I was using Nittaku H3PTO and G1 which weighed 202g. 

I’ve always been intrigued about the Violin but just never but the bullet. I was hoping to read it was even more flexible than Acoustic but that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

I almost did it when I damaged my first acoustic, but as a tournament was coming up I didn’t want to change too much- hence the really similar set ups...

So far, I’m loving the acoustic as my main and back up set up! With the Chinese rubber set-up, it’s a very controlled spinny pairing. I really can’t imagine anything else with better feel... which is why I really need to find someone to let me try their Violin (C.Pen) with Chinese rubbers!
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I think with plastic balls, both of these blades were overshadowed as pros that used Acoustic / other all-wood started moving to composites (like Carbonado 45 or Viscaria) to get some added pace.

However, the arrival of these new generation of rubbers with ultramax sponges have changed  that. I have tried playing with a few of these and you get crazy large arcs with long trajectories (as if I had dipped my blade into a bucket of speed glue before playing).

Now, I think a great combination for some to try would be Acoustic or Violin with one of these rubbers in ultramax thickness (Xiom Omega 7 pro / europe, Joola Rhyzer 48, Tibhar Aurus Prime, Donic Bluestorm Z1 / Z2, Rasanter R47 ultramax). You get same speed as with composite and old-style max (2.1mm) but with new crazy spin and better feel.

I slapped R53 max thickness on Acoustic with D05 max thickness (boosted with one layer of FTL) on the other side. The speed of R53 and the spin it generates is insane. I've only had one training session with my coach so far but I can already tell the potential of this rubber. I've tried several rubbers in the past on Acoustic (Rakza 7, G1, H3 prov blue sponge boosted), but I've never seen a ball shoots off my Acoustic at such a speed. Obviously, one needs to be in a good position to deliver a high quality loop drive with R53. I'll post more updates as I experiment with this rubber more. I have always favored boosted H3 for my Acoustic but I'm hoping these latest releases of 50+ rubbers will help me replace H3 because boosting is really a hassle. 

Edited by vik2000 - 11/12/2019 at 11:21am
dyfferent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyfferent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 5:38am
Dear Acoustic and Violin Clan,
If this should be an entirely different thread, just delete it, but I feel like it belongs in here…
I plan on becoming a worthy member, but am still left undecided and indecisive. I am a believer of the Chinese Philosophy: Blade provides feeling and the rubbers provide the speed. My current setup is: Primorac FL 87g with DHS Hurricane 3 Provincial OS 41° 2.15mm on forehand and Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.0 red on backhand. I plan to try out DHS Hurricane 3 Provincial BS 40° 2.15mm on my forehand and DHS Skyline 3-60 mid-hard (~37°) on my backhand. I have Chinese-like strokes on both my forehand and backhand and my backhand is better from a couple of steps away from the table. I usually win by spin, but can generate speed through my physique. 
Now the questions of questions: Should I go for the Acoustic or the Violin? 
My research came up with the following differences (only the new versions):

Acoustic                                                              Violin 
Plies:    Limba-Limba-Tung-Limba-Limba     WhiteAsh-WhiteAsh-Kiri-WhiteAsh-WhiteAsh
Something I could not find is the thickness of each ply. If anyone could supply that, that would be awesome. 

Size:    158x150                   5.7mm thick                         156x149             5.3mm thick

If you approximate the Surface area of a blade as an ellipsis, you get: 
             186.159cm^2                                        182.558cm^2

Leaving a discrepancy of ~3.6cm^2, which should be interesting for your choice of rubber. This means Acoustic becomes more head heavy and heavier overall by a gram or two.

This blade is supposed to cure my emerging EJ virus once and for all. I like the look of the violin handle better than the acoustic. I like the idea of it being somewhat different to my Primorac. But would I instead just get the more similar one and go for the Acoustic ? I like both for their superb quality, which is also why I hope for them to leave me content with my equipment for once.
Can you guys help me out ?

Edited by dyfferent - 11/16/2019 at 10:11am
Rusifizio View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusifizio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 6:46am
i suppose it is a matter of feel - which one fits your hand better is the winner. 
V is just a bit slower thus a bit more controllable. but is your any single stroke fast? do you need that a slightly  faster speed? me don't. 
V is fast enough.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 8:49am
I think you have them reversed.   Thickness of violin is 5.4 mm while thickness of acoustic is 5.7-5.8 mm.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
dyfferent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyfferent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I think you have them reversed.   Thickness of violin is 5.4 mm while thickness of acoustic is 5.7-5.8 mm.
Yes I have them mixed up, because my handwritten table is the other way around. But thanks for clearing it up Smile

Edited by dyfferent - 11/16/2019 at 10:45am
patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 12:52am
Old but worthy thread indeed. I’ve read experiences of people using Acoustic vs Violin in this thread and bought used old tag Violin recently from this site, weighing around 86 grams. 

Slapped Victas 401 on FH(hard), heavily used 729 presto on BH(med-hard). 

Short story on the importance of handle type: I always wondered why I struggled with Stiga FL handle type. When I switched from Stiga blade to DHS 301, it was so comfortable in my hand , and bh to fh transition was a cake walk. That made me realize that the handle size plays a big role in improvising technique, as it shouldn’t restrict subtle wrist motions. Being said, researched and saw players complaining that the regular straight Violin handle didn’t suit them well, which is in favor to my small hand contour. So went for it and definitely no regrets on my purchase. Sits very well in my hand. Although this is my first ST handle blade, never felt weird or anything during the rallies.  Backhands are effortless, Forehand needs some work as I need to improve on my footwork. Not sure why people say its a slow blade. To me, it offers more control on spin based attacks, blocks near or away from the table is a breeze, which sends the ball back being out of position. Surprisingly very less vibration being an allwood blade but pretty good feedback on strokes. Its definitely worth it. I’ll stick on to this one. Even if its little too late, indeed proud to be part of the Violin clan 👍

Edited by patelaaaa - 06/10/2020 at 1:10am
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 5:08am
I had a violin too, but sold it because i felt it was somehow outdate& lacked power when they introduced PB. However, now i have the strong conviction that Violin could have a new life with new line of ultra hard esn rubbers  of 50º o 53º degrees. I really regret about selling it :(Confused
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 11:03am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I had a violin too, but sold it because i felt it was somehow outdate& lacked power when they introduced PB. However, now i have the strong conviction that Violin could have a new life with new line of ultra hard esn rubbers  of 50º o 53º degrees. I really regret about selling it :(Confused

Yeah. I usually incline towards playing with med or soft rubbers ,not really hard rubber fan as it pops the ball right out with out any feeling. But I went with experts opinion for Violin and paired it with hard/med rubbers right away. As I started practicing with it, felt as if I’m playing with soft rubbers due to the feeling and dwell time may be. Liked this aspect of the blade and favors rally game in my opinion. Like borko said, power is nothing without control 😁
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2020 at 5:11am
All members of this exclusive club should look in my actual FS-Offer Wink

You will find 6 versions of the Acoustic + 2 Violin versions there
Tuot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2021 at 5:22pm
  I would like to join the clan. I bought one Violin Carbon inner 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282930
  Share Topic