Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing a chopper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
master-pong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2006 at 2:06pm

This saturday I had my first match ever against a defender and I won!
3-0!!!
Sponsored Links

Sardius User View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sardius User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 3:00am

Fake the Attack !!

Don't loop into the same place always, when you got a chance to kill, send the ball to the opposite side of his previous chop. works on me !

The most important of all when facing a chopper in consistantly when looping, just be patient and wait for the chance to kill.

Blade : Butterfly Sardius
FH    : Sriver EL
BH    : Sriver EL
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 3:43am

Strange ! No one mentioned that choppers hate backhand topspins. Do a long and fast serve on their pimple BH and loop BH. Beware, their serve returns tend to be fast with poor spin, therefore loop just after the ball bounce and move foreward. Also, do not hesitate to strongly attack their serves because they are still close to the table and have no time to organize themselves. For the rest, see very instructive posts above. Great topic !

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 4:36pm
why do they hate Bhtopspins? because the BH topspin is faster that the FH to do?
DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2006 at 3:31am
I lately played with a push/blocker (stays close to the table) I lost 3-2. He gave me lots of low backspin and when I looped them he couldn't return anything. However he gave me lots of trouble with fast pushes, low and slight backspin...

I bet I can beat him now but anyone have any tips for these kinda players?
Hard work and self-determination will surpass talent.

Blade-Homemade BirchBalsaBullet (3B JSX)
FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2006 at 7:26pm
I think the key is to play with great variation. I have a chopper at my club and when i face him I try to variate my game. Short-long, even chop back some times and I only hit topspin when there is a good chans of killing the point. Because if I only hit topspin after topspin to him the result will be tremendous backspin for me to handle, and I dont do that very well.
When i feel that attacking is an option I prefer to either smash with no spin or put some sidespin onto the ball. I must say that the sidespin has given me many points.
So, my advice is to keep choppers moving all of the time.
The holy grail
kollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 12:01am
Iv been doing a lot of chopping lately and spin variation and placement dont really bother me but its the change in pace that messes me up. stay consistent, like the chopper and when you get what you want, place it perfectly and blast it. people who get caught up trying to over power eventually lose. after studying joo's and chen's games they often lose when they are forced to come back and forth and side to side from the table.
Shibutani ST
Tackifire C
Feint Soft
joubtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joubtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 1:06pm

What I've seen is that many U.S players can't medium loop, loop fast and spinny, nor flat hit consistently against a defender do to lack of practice, fear and concept.  I vary the time, spin, speed, and depth of shot.  I like to give them offensive chances so I can save energy and neutralize their offense.  

Players should work on efficiency of technique and footwork too.  It will generally be skill/confidence/energy based. 

JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/999 Chinese sponge
JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/Galaxy 9000
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 10:59am
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2006 at 4:20pm
I have been watching a lot of matches of choppers recently and I heard this over and over again from the commentators:
1. Don't get into a long rally of loops and chops. Get the points over fast and make the attack as surprising as possible (i.e. when the chopper is not looking for the kill).
2. Move the chopper in and out instead of side 2 side. and/or attack the middle of the table.
and 3. Don't try to over power the chopper (but you do need a flat kill).

I repeat them in summary so that this might help someone by refreshing their memory. Good luck.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2006 at 9:10am
The fundamental thing the chopper is trying to do, is winning by playing one more good stroke, than the attacker.
So while many of the tactics mentioned so far will work part of the time, the thing that the attackers who 'always' beat choppers have, is consistency with control. Obviously Waldner and Kong immediately spring to mind. Watching Waldner he gives the idea that he coul roll for ever, even against the best defenders.
"Wait for the right one to power drive or kill". Is one of the well used pieces of advice, in this topic so far.
So to be successful in your play aganst chop develop your ability to top spin without error. This equates to be able to roll 'forever' at the speed which puts enough pressure on the defender to make counter smashing dificult. When practicing you should be able to continue
perhaps 200 strokes without error in the practice situation.
Once you have this ability you will always be able to 'wait for the right ball' to apply those tactics that the guys have been writing about and those choppers will start to find you difficult
good luck!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2006 at 9:10am
The fundamental thing the chopper is trying to do, is winning by playing one more good stroke, than the attacker.
So while many of the tactics mentioned so far will work part of the time, the thing that the attackers who 'always' beat choppers have, is consistency with control. Obviously Waldner and Kong immediately spring to mind. Watching Waldner he gives the idea that he coul roll for ever, even against the best defenders.
"Wait for the right one to power drive or kill". Is one of the well used pieces of advice, in this topic so far.
So to be successful in your play aganst chop develop your ability to top spin without error. This equates to be able to roll 'forever' at the speed which puts enough pressure on the defender to make counter smashing dificult. When practicing you should be able to continue
perhaps 200 strokes without error in the practice situation.
Once you have this ability you will always be able to 'wait for the right ball' to apply those tactics that the guys have been writing about and those choppers will start to find you difficult
good luck!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
darcycudmorepei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcycudmorepei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2006 at 7:43pm
Take Advantage Of Your Serves.  Get As Many Points As You Can And Hold On When He Serves.
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2007 at 4:51pm
first time i played a long pips chopper
oh god he kicked my ass
hahah the day after i learned that if oyu give them under spin that the long pips has a reversal and comes back top spin (if they try to block it) to easily loop into the center of his body so its harder for him to get a good angle i think iv got him next time Wink
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
albert230770 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albert230770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 2:08pm
try to play more with chopper which can improve your looping. also u improve your consistent of looping, timing, strength control and placement too. end up both can improve.
Cypress - 1989 / Bryce - Sep 2005
KTS + Bryce - Sep 2006
forehandloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 10:36pm
yessir. choppers and loopers can practise very well together. training will teach them how to cope and overcome the opposite spin
MALIN=Making A Loop Irritate Noobs

TIMOBOLL=Tt Includes More Of Body Odour, Lob Lowly

SAMSONOV=Slicing A Massive Spin Over Non-Oxygen Vessels

MALONG=My Attack Leads Our National Encyclopedia
forehandchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 4:54am

you cant beat a chopper with loop.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 7:00am
yessir you can. forehand loop can counter forehand chop ;)

forehandsmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandsmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 7:18am
to kill a chopper off...let me tell u....SERVE TO KILL. if not u r dead. chopper will kill u
Petr Korbel-FL/Sriver/狂飚 III

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 7:20am
serve d ball so it bounces 2 times on d table to unsettle the chopper, then alternate loops on fh and bh

Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 1:32am
first serve short, then you loop drive at him or her, then to his or hers bh, then to his or hers fh, last step repeat in different order excluding the serve part
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 1:43am
actually if you are confident about your own chops you can actually play a chopping rally against him/her. a chop vs chop match is always boring, but if you can place the ball relatively low and close to the net you should stand a chance of winning. you have to be flexible and change your playing style, not only sticking to looping or smashing

elcapitan_thfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elcapitan_thfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2007 at 7:41pm
I think to play against defence you must variate every part of your game.
When I play defence I serve long to the backhand and short to the forehand. Also after looping one or two, its good to touch some shots short, in fact I think it makes your loops more effective and usually the defender struggles to really make a heavy chop when retreating.

The strong loop I think must go to the middle as choppers find this extremely hard to return and opens the table up to get a good angle!!!
i love playing chop!!
longreachlooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2007 at 10:33am

Interesting,

nice stuff,

but one thing I do not see on this list,

is a drop shot now and then........................

longreachlooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2007 at 10:36am
I was replying to an OLD post, if someone mentioned a DROP SHOT, then I am suggesting it again.
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2007 at 12:20pm
2 words : Backhand loop..
Most choppers are acqainted to FH loop in terms of speed, length and spin. I noticed they have much more difficulties returning BH loops because, I think, it might be launched faster and spinnier.
Also, I agree with the usual tactic of playing to the center.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2007 at 1:11pm

Upon the chopper lobbing it up to you, maybe try to add in some heavy side/backspin shots.  A lot of people use only forehand shots.

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 12:46am
I am a chopper, and just like spin variation is key to success as a defender, the same also is true when playing against one.  I can eat up all out looping attackers rated a fair bit higher than me, but I struggle against smart allround players that can vary the degree of topspin on their loops, incorporate sidespin in varying degrees, and utilize rolled loops to my pips.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 12:50am
choppers depend a lot on consistency, both their own and their opponents'. they are strong on the wings, but fast topspin in the centre should unsettle them. alternating loops on the sides would also force them to change the game direction

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 6:25am

try doing drop shots or placement shots that are difficult for the chopper to return attacking isn't always the answer esp. if the chopper always plays with you and is acquianted with ur spin.. after the chopper has return your short balls or drop shots try looping and placing it on either corners.. the key is unpredictability

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic