FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Table Tennis with a Heart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table Tennis with a Heart
    Posted: 08/17/2009 at 8:38pm
I started this project 2 years ago in our province giving used rubbers and now its on a 5-city scale level.. cole was kind enough to help me 2 years ago and now Im so glad a lot of people here at mytt are also very kind in sending me rubbers for these poor kids. here are the links for the 2 videos, these are the 2 clubs that i gave the rubbers not counting other individual kids ive given the rubbers to. pics will be posted this week since im too busy..

the first one is a group of elementary kids who are being trained by a national player who was with my deceased mentor and now he is also teaching me.. these kids have just been learning table tennis for about 2 months. the place is good, it has 8 tables but the problem is that they don't have a funding from their city government. they are mostly using addoy premade bats from btty. imagine their faces when they learned that they will receive rubbers..

the 2nd video is from a group of kids trained by a coach friend of mine.. these kids are very poor since they live in the slum areas in their district.. you could see the small kids (about 5 and 6 yr olds) playing and would you believe they have only been learning table tennis for more than a month only.. this coach friend of mine is the one that trains them and he spends his own money no wonder he is not married at the age of 47!!

a total of 42 rubbers were sent by alex and ttrubberman, the vids are just part of the kids i gave the rubbers to, there are still others that i need to get the pics this week. i thank alex and ttrubberman for helping me and sending me even new ones. boz also sent me a shipment of used rubbers but i still havent received them.. other kind people also promised to send me but ill mention their names once i receive them..

i think being a table tennis player does not end in mastering your strokes and footwork but rather its just the beginning of a journey. character development transitions to being a better individual thru sports in this case, table tennis. i did not post this to uplift myself but to share the experience and joy of sharing to other unfortunate kids. im not asking you people to help as of the moment because i think i have enough already but each of us in our own way in our own places can help foster the growth of table tennis especially to the younger generations.. maybe if each of us in our own country can do this, table tennis will be more popular. i dunno how long will it take but i guess it has to start in a small way..

again, we are not just sportsmen but rather people who have the character, discipline and compassion for our sport not only for our own advancement but also for the development of others in our beloved sport..

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2009 at 8:54pm
So cute children! Great that they have an activity to keep them occupied and off the streets and out of trouble and something they can put their energy into thats positive with discipline.

Do they have any preference on what type of rubbers they receive? Like tacky, non-tacky, control oriented, etc. And are there any companies nearer to there that could ship it directly to them, like I think Pingpongonline is based in the Philippines. You could buy a whole box of 729 FX supersoft and have them train with that for the price of one of those used Bryce sheets.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2009 at 9:04pm
That's awesome Yogi ! Props to you all.  The little girl in the second vid ripping forehand loops is pretty cool i must say.  
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2009 at 9:29pm
My question is how can we forward out "used" rubber to the kids?  Our rubber might have past its peak for us, but might have plenty of life in it for young developing players.

Is there some kind of fund-raiser to which we can contribute?  Is there an inexpensive rubber that can be purchased in large quantities for the kids?

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2009 at 4:24am
well as of the moment i think i have enough of teh rubbers because there are still shipments im expecting from people here. i think you dont need to send anything for these kids as of the moment but rather why not start with your own areas and try to see if you can help a kid or 2 with table tennis.. usually i let them use cheap tacky chinese rubbers though many of the used rubbers that were sent to me were euro/jpn rubbers..

rich, yes that cute lil girl was fun and priceless to watch

jonan, id rather make them used to chinese rubbers since they cant afford to buy one especially the jpn rubbers

silverhair, adham tol me he is doing the same thing but he usually ships them to africa 2x a yr.. as of the moment i havent thought of any fund raising.. im avoiding money also to avoid controversies
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2009 at 5:01am
I allways give my old rubbers and even blades I don't want to the young players in my club. It's a good thing to do :)

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2009 at 5:27am
yes nicefrog it is, its like the old mastercard commercials--"a new timo boll alc 199 $, tenergy 05 50$, giving it to a young kid and see that kid develop into a good player someday priceless!"

ttrubberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrubberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2009 at 8:41am
The children are so cute. When I watch the video, I found that they are using a very old damaged blade with a very poor rubbers but they all have a beauty smiley face. A used rubbers / cheap rubbers can be a good stuff for them, help them to train with a better equipment.

yogi, please feel free to ask if you have any needs.

Thanks for your video.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2009 at 9:16am
yeah thanks bro, the vids were taken before we distributed the rubbers, after the distribution we attached the rubbers that you and alex gave.. in the future im planning a clinic for these kids with some of the national coaches that i know but for now i need to finish this project first im still waiting for other stuffs sent to me

alexli View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2009 at 12:40pm
I am glad to see those rubbers are so helpful for the kids. Just imagine how many poor kids are there from the underdeveloped countries or from the slum areas of the developing countries who love table tennis as much as we do. There so many warm heart members on this forum that are ready to help out those kids. I would encourage anyone who has access to helping out those kids, please feel free to use mytabletennis.net forum as a platform to post your needs and I believe there will be many warm heart members out there to donate their used rubbers and rackets.It is just little cost on us but great help for the kids.

Thanks yogi for the effort on his project. And I hope to see more projects like this and mytt forum could be a good platform to help implementing the projects.

Table Tennis Super Forum - MyTableTennis.NET

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2009 at 7:44pm
hmmm we can have a project of used rubbers for africa, adham does that 2x a yr helping those unfortunate kids there

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2009 at 9:42am
these are the pics that were taken when the rubbers and rackets given by adham & ittf, pingpongrob, boz, cagaragesales were distributed to the kids. some were sent to the provinces and im still waiting for the pics.. thank you all for helping this project mine come to reality..

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2057/12635953/22477140/373286352.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2057/12635953/22477140/373286354.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2057/12635953/22477140/373286358.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2057/12635953/22477140/373286360.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2057/12635953/22477140/373286394.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2057/12635953/22477140/373286397.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2057/12635953/22477140/373381437.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2057/12635953/22477140/373381484.jpg

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2009 at 9:46am
pingpongrob and boz sent about 20 rubbers (used but very playable)
cagaragesales sent 60 RITC brand new rubbers with 100 plastic sheets
Adham & ITTF sent 12 neo skylines 2 & 3, 12 neo hurricanes 2 & 3 (48 total)
and sent 24 premade rackets which by the way are excellent for beginners because they are light and the rubbers attached are skyline 2 and hurricane 3's.. im also thankful that ITTF handled the customs fee of about $160.. albert handled half of the EMS fee and gatz the other half, pingpongrob and boz sent the items with them paying the shipping.. thank you all

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2009 at 8:41pm
thanks Adham though I wish you did not placed my name in the article. Id rather want my identity anonymous but then its not everyday I could see myself posted in the ITTF website.. Thanks to you and Steve and also for other kind members here who have helped me

http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=19326&Category=General&Competition_ID=&

hungga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2009 at 8:56pm
So that's you in the picture in that ITTF news, yogi? Fits the nickname. XD

But then, well done!
:: EJ level 1 ::
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2009 at 9:13pm
yes, i have a "bear belly" hehehe

wyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2009 at 10:55am
more like "BEER BELLY".. Am I right Yogz?
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2009 at 11:24am
Your doing a great job :), excellent stuff

Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2009 at 11:31am
Im very impressed yogi, you are truly doing a good job.

i hope in future this can be done on a more major scale so that many more kids can benefit. And mayb not only in Phillipines, but everywhere else where kids need help.

Very well done!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 8:13am
yeah i would glenn, i would liek to do this parallel to what adham is doing personally every 6 months but this would need a lot of  logistics.. hard but its attainable..
wyatt, its "bear belly" hence my name?? i dont drink by the way

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2009 at 5:54am
that thread is such an inspiring treat each time i stop by it.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2009 at 3:24am
sorry for the delayed pics. due to heavy flooding my friend wasnt able to save his laptop with the video of it.. the rubbers here were from adham, rob, albert and boz..

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/yogi_bear77/7030_101779649837721_10000017058-1.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/yogi_bear77/7030_101779653171054_10000017058224.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/yogi_bear77/CIMG2626.jpg

riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2009 at 3:51am
a very worthy project, inspiring, its so good to see kids enjoying sport like this. Thanks for sharing :-)
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
Iskallt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iskallt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2009 at 6:22am
Wow, I'm impressed of their good technique. Well done man, that project deserves huge attention! :)
stevrodgers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevrodgers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2009 at 4:52am
That was awesome .....liked it....thanks for sharing
yvangkwheng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yvangkwheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2010 at 11:25pm
ive been likin playing ping-pong for more than ten years since i was a lil boy. lolz.... pretty much the same as that kid in the video.
HurricaneKing View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HurricaneKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2010 at 1:07am
THAT WAS GOOD
nightcrawler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightcrawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2010 at 7:57am
good work! i was amazed when i read this, it left me speechless. I am really happy to be around to see this, especially in this community
Lake56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 9:44pm
That is Awsome...Those kids all looked better than I did after a month. That has got to be a very rewarding experience.
Penhold Forever
mcd0nald View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcd0nald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 10:01pm

well done yogi,...

it's truly about table tennis with a heart
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: NEO H3 Prov 38 degree (BLACK)
BH: XIOM Vega Asia (RED)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic