Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Replacement net?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement net?
    Posted: 08/19/2009 at 3:04pm
So I just started playing Ping Pong for recreation around the house.  I was given a free pong table which was in pretty good shape.  The net on the other hand is ripping and doesn't have much life yet.  I ordered the KillerSpin Aurora but it will not work with this net because of the support system.

My issue is that I'm not sure who makes the table because there is no company logo or name on it.  I took a few pictures hoping maybe you would be able to help me find a replacement net for my table.  Please Help!

Here are 4 pictures of the net and net system

The%20Current%20Net
Sponsored Links

LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2009 at 3:49pm
It looks like you have a recreational type table that doesn't use a standard net post. Short of going back to the manufacturer I don't know how you would be able to get a replacement net. However, you could try to take off the whole mount and buy a regular net and post set from Cole that can be mounted on the table. I think the most inexpensive set that Cole carries is just $18 including the net.
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2009 at 4:45pm
thats a problem, i considered that, but the poles that the net slides into actually is how it folds up!  Its hard to explain!
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2009 at 4:46pm
i think if you unscrew the old net assembly - removing it completely

you may be able to mount a good net with a drawstring top (imho the best type of net)

if the old suspension bars are still in the way - some modifications might need to be made to make it possible to mount the net - when the table is in the open (usable/flat) position

having the new net/net post will also level the table (meaning the entire playing surface will be basically flat - or at least, the middle of the table will be the same height) - these type of tables where you just pull down the halves with the net permanently in place - it is very easy to have halves that are not level

good luck
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2009 at 10:53pm
IT SUCKS BECAUSE I CANT MODIFY THOSE BARS AT ALL, WHEN THE TABLE FOLDS UP IT SLIDES UP AND LOCKS THERE.  IN2SPIN YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THE NET YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?  SO I CAN GET AN IDEA.  THERE IS VERY LITTLE SPACE BETWEEN THEN BARS AND THE ACTUAL TABLE, SORRY FOR ALL THE CAPS, REALIZED TO LATE, LOL
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 9:51am
Originally posted by WeaponX WeaponX wrote:

IT SUCKS BECAUSE I CANT MODIFY THOSE BARS AT ALL, WHEN THE TABLE FOLDS UP IT SLIDES UP AND LOCKS THERE.  IN2SPIN YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THE NET YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?  SO I CAN GET AN IDEA.  THERE IS VERY LITTLE SPACE BETWEEN THEN BARS AND THE ACTUAL TABLE, SORRY FOR ALL THE CAPS, REALIZED TO LATE, LOL
If you want to go to the trouble, Send the Net to me & I will replace the Woven Sections with New Woven Sections. I will use your existing Metal Parts.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 11:16am
Looks like you could simply drill out the rivets and just replace the netting.  You could simply use some small machine screws and nuts to put back together. 

If you unscrewed the the two flat head screws holding the net assembly to the post, would the post be in the way to use a regular clamping net assembly?  Hard to tell with the close up pics where that post is when the table is down in playing position.

in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 11:28am
any netset that has a drawstring top would suffice

bty national league is just one example

drawstring top allows you to tension the topstring of the net.  that is nice

the type of net you have currently - basically - if you hit the ball hard enough, the ball will curl over the net even if the net is struck with the ball say...1" below the white line.

a bad table with a good net is still playable

a good table with a bad net is still a bad table

unfortunately, with the type of suspension your table has (the type that has a permanent net bracket that is not movable) - the posts that currently hold the net get in the way of trying to slide on a net set like a bty national league type net set

so, one answer would be to cut off the top of the current posts that hold the net bracket

again, one advantage using the newer type of net bracket/set would be that the table would be level where the net set is held onto the table

http://www.butterflyonline.com/net_sets.asp

butterfly, tibhar, donic, double happiness, joola, many other companies make this type of net bracket.....but as you can see - you will need to modify/remove the current net bracket to make the new one usable
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2009 at 4:40pm
Rich I will take picture of it tonight with it in playing position.  The poles are basically even, maybe a lil below the top of the table.  I'll also get a picture of the table itself, because it was WAY to wide/thick to put the Aurora net even if it was usable.
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 4:07pm

Sorry for the Hold up.  The pictures will include the net setup, showing how the bars are not able to be removed.  My finger is pointing to the piece that slides up and down when the table is folded in half or closed.  Hope you all can help!

Pole that the net slides onto....

Connection which slides over the pole that holds the net....

Net is ripping.....help!!!

How the table is setup with the poles that are part of the net fixture....

The net fixture.....

My finger is pointing to the part of the pole which slides up and down to fold the table in half....

Net fixture....
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 6:00pm
It would be a lot of trouble, but you might be able to cut and modify one of the lightweight clamp on style  of net posts. 

Look at the clip on on about the middle of the page at Coles:

Cut off the clip-on section just leaving the post and a small part of the horizontal section.  Then you could bolt or clamp this horizontal section with the net post to the horizontal section of the current net supports on the table.   The new bolted on piece should be inside the current vertical net post and outside the swing arm part so that it does not interfere with the folding.

You would have to make sure that the proper location (to allow folding) would be right for the net length.  You would also have to make sure that the additional height caused by bolting the new post on top of the exisiting horizontal piece would not make net too high.  I think you could check both these problems out before cutting the new post assemblies so you could return them if the modification was not possible.

Good luck finding something that works. 

Mark

skjutmigmormor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skjutmigmormor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 6:26pm
Hey man, if I where you I would just spraypaint the bottom green part white and switch it upside down, but hey thats me. Good luck man.
BL: Andro Kinetic CF Carbon Off-
FH: Stiga Calibra sound Max
BH: Nimbus soft Max
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 7:27pm
Yea i dont think I want to cut anything to be honest.  I don't want to screw something up that is working.  I just cant believe I can't find a net like this!
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 7:59pm
In my suggestion you are not cutting any part of your existing system.  You are cutting the new net supports so that they can be attached to your current system.    If you used something like U-clamps or hose clamps to attach the new, cut down net supports to the existing net support you could easily take the new net supports off before folding up the table so that everything would still be exactly like it is now except the net would not be attached when the table was folded up.

Mark

WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 8:18pm
maybe you can draw something in paint or something, im not fully understanding ur way mark...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 8:59pm

Let me try in more detail

Look at the clip-on net supports on the Coles website I linked.

On one end is a clamp that attaches onto the table and on the other end is a net post that the net slips into.   There is a horizontal (when attached to the table) section running between the net post end and the clamp end.  Cut the horizontal section so that you have one piece with the clamp on it and another piece with the net post and a small length of horizontal section. 

Now look at your existing support.

On the outside you have a vertical piece of tubing that then curves into a horizontal section that runs on top of the large tubes that support the folding mechanism ( and have the wheels on the bottom of them I think).  This horizontal section continues on across the table (or at least to the table edge).

Take the piece of the cut-in-half net support with the net post and put it on top of the horizontal portion of your existing  net support between the large tubes and the vertical part of your existing net support.   Use some hose clamps or U clamps to hold it in place.   You now have a net support with 2 net posts on one side.  The original post (vertical portion of the tubing) is outside of the net post of the cut-in-half support.   I thought you said in an earlier reply that one problem was that standard nets are too short to reach your exisiting posts.   If this is the case then having the new post inside your exisiting post would be fine since the new nets are shorter.  

The length of the new net would have to be measured in order to find out just how far out from the table the new net post needs to be located.  You would have to adjust where you cut the new net support and where you clamped it in order to get the posts at the proper position for the new net.

If I am incorrect in my belief that standard nets are too short to fit your current posts then you will need to cut off the vertical portion of your current net support.  Then you can clamp the new net post section so that the new net post is the same position (distance from table) as your original post.

The one other problem is that clamping the new net support on top of your exisiting horizontal support section might make the new net posts too high so that your net would always be too high.  From your pictures I think the horizontal section is low enough that this should not be a problem, but you want to check it before cutting the new net supports in half.

If the new net post section is clamped on outside of the large tubes (between tubes and the existing vertical post) the table should be able to fold up just the same way as it does now.  If by some chance there is some interference with the folding, using hose clamps makes it easy to remove the new post and allow the table to fold up just as it does now.

Hope this is a little clearer.

Mark

WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 9:38pm
anyone else really lost? LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skjutmigmormor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 9:49pm
Lost me at support... But I guess people really want you to have a decent net, that must be worth something.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 10:20pm

Your current net support:

|
                               |  < ---- Vertical post part of existing support
      --------------------|
             | |     ^
             | |      |--------- Horizontal part of existing support
             | |     
             | |     
             | |  <----- Larger diameter tubes with folding mechanism

Clamp on support from Coles

|
           -------|_________|   <------ Net post end
           -------|
              ^
               |
               |--------- Clamp end

Cut the Coles support into 2 pieces

|
           -------|____         _____|   <------ Net post end
           -------|
              ^
               |
               |--------- Clamp end

Combine the new post end with your existing support:

Net post end from
 the cut clamp |
                     |
                     |
                      --->|   |
                   _____|   |  < ---- Vertical post part of existing support
      ---------------------|
             | |     ^
             | |      |------- Clamp the 2 horizontal pieces together
             | |     
             | |     

If the new net posts are too close together for the new net then cut
off the vertical post part of the existing (original support)

Net post end from
 the cut clamp  |
                       |
                       |
                       --->|   
                    _____|     < ---- Vertical post part of existing support cut off
      -----------------------
             | |     ^
             | |      |------- Clamp the 2 horizontal pieces together
             | |     
             | |     

Slide the new post end outward so the post is in the same position of the original support post

Net post end from
 the cut clamp moved over so post is at the orginal position.
                       |
                       |
                       ------->|   
                         _____|     < ---- Vertical post part of existing support cut off
      -----------------------
             | |             ^
             | |              |------- Clamp the 2 horizontal pieces together
             | |     
             | |     

This is my last effort.

Mark

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 10:45pm
It looks like that post that holds up the net and is attached to both sides of the table....needs to stay there.  It may be best to just replace the net itself if you can adjust the height to proper level.  Then, like I said...drill out the rivets and use small screws and nuts to put back together.  

Also, measure the length of your net to make sure you get the right size.  There are various types of nets with different side sections on them.

WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2009 at 11:55pm
Rich u suggest any net? which i can drill through
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2009 at 8:15am
WeaponX   you should not have to drill through the net.  Pending on which net you get, you may just have to poke holes where the screws would go through it.  If that is the case, take a nail or ice pick and get the tip hot with a flame source so you can burn or sear a hole so it so the nylon (if you get a nylon net) will not fray apart.  The aluminum piece that has the rivets in it now just sort of clamps the net end together. 

Here is the net I use.  DHS #G409 (#409).  Nylon net so it stays flat. I don't like cotton nets because they get wrinkles sometimes pending on your posts.  You can see there is a cotton or poly type material flap on the end. You will have alittle bit of room to adjust where the holes go through this part.  The net stretched out on my table with the posts im using, is 69 7/8th's to the outside of the edges.  The effective area that you would put holes through the net would be about 69 1/4 to 69 3/4's.   

You do not have to use this net per say.  I think there are some nets that have a more durable flap on the end....maybe nylon would work better for your solution.  There are different ends on nets depending on what type of post configuration is used.   Good luck!

WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2009 at 3:10pm
god this suck.  i know if i take off the existing net, im gonna f' up the holes and stuff.  I'm not very handy when it comes to things like this....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skjutmigmormor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2009 at 4:48pm
Like I said, does it not work if you just flip it? The bottom condition looks fine to me and I cant se any problems with painting the bottom white and just turn it up side down. Or does the posts only fit in one direction?
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2009 at 6:08pm
post fits in either direction.  My whole issue is what happens when it continues to rip and finally has its last day?  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skjutmigmormor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2009 at 9:57pm
That day, that sorrow my friend. To me it pretty much looks like a homemade table, and that the possibility to find an identical net for replacement may be at the same level of chance as me making three loops in a row, I am afraid. 
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2009 at 11:48pm
This def isnt a home made table at all.  It was bought for a rec room at a local military base years ago.....It was a 300-400 buck table...
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2009 at 11:34am
you got this table for free?

ditch it

it was never worth 3-400 bucks - ever

you can probably find another more versatile table for free on craigslist

just remember...a crappy net on a good table is still a lousy table

a good net on a crappy table is still playable

good luck
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2009 at 5:49pm
i love the table it plays as good as my friends brand new stiga.  The net is working perfectly.  I'm not ditching a tablewhen there MUST be a solution.  And it was worth 300-400 about 15 years ago bro.
WeaponX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeaponX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 12:11am
anyone else have ideas?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic