Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Your Coach(es) Best Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Coach(es) Best Tips
    Posted: 06/17/2010 at 11:36am
Here I am compiling our coach(es) best tips.. what we will do is that we need to copy and paste previous tips to make it available for other people to read. please put a hyphen before each tip.

-in order to read your opponent's next move, focus on the racket angle and body movements. this will help you anticipate the next possible moves your opponent might do. getting clues from your opponent will help you decide on what to do next and not get surprised.
-brushing the ball is important as it will give the ball a forward and curved motion. having a curved ball will help make your shots no to go over the table. brushed balls are safer compared to balls which are being hit through the sponge with no brushing strokes.
-the kind of service you will make determines the next thing you must do and not do. e.g. - doing a no spin serve and then when the ball is returned, you will loop it with an open angle
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 1:48pm
If your ball goes long, don't put less power, add more spin.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 2:29pm
"Don't go up, go forward."
"Don't stand up when you hit the ball."
"Don't let the ball shoot out of your racket when you hit it, guide it forward and keep it on the racket as long as you can."
"The reason the ball is hitting the bottom (side closest to the ground) of your racket is because you are too high. Get down so you can see the ball!"
"Don't rush. Get there first. Then swing."
"Your timing is so screwed up. You take the ball too far in front. Wait!"
Ryu_S_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryu_S_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 2:39pm
never try to make hard shot when you are out of postition, use more wrist and play safe
Blade: BTY Balsa Carbo X5 An
Fh: Donic JO Coppa Platin
Bh: Donic JO Coppa Platin
lenwink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lenwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 2:47pm
Table Tennis Training Tips & Sayings

http://www.tabletennisandmore.com/lenisms.htm

Aloha,
Genesis View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 4:48pm
keep your eyes on the ball, don't anticipate your next shot (except when serving)

T05 | AMULTART.SI-TBZLC.ST-PHOTINO.ST | T05
The 'TRINITY'
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

"Don't let the ball shoot out of your racket when you hit it, guide it forward and keep it on the racket as long as you can."
"

not the best tip when it comes to close table play.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 5:37pm

"Don't go up, go forward."
"Don't stand up when you hit the ball."
"The reason the ball is hitting the bottom (side closest to the ground) of your racket is because you are too high. Get down so you can see the ball!"
"Don't rush. Get there first. Then swing."
"Your timing is so screwed up. You take the ball too far in front. Wait!"

I'd heard all of these tips too, often repeatedly :D

Most prominently,

1) Move! Finishing a stroke before in position = bad form. (Not only can the opponent attack a weak ball, but you're caught flat-footed)

2) When looping, go forward. If you go up, your center of weight goes backwards.

3) Games are to eleven points, not to ten or nine. Never give up, even during a single point. Always play your very best.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

"

/shrug. You'll have to explain yourself on that one. Keeping the ball on the racket is how I control the ball. I.E. making an active shot and carrying the ball forward rather than "eating the spin" and making a passive shot.
ybok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 5:50pm
Can you explain this one:  

33. Play the point, not the situation. (Danny Seemiller)

I think I understand the point part, what distinguishes that from the situation?
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by ybok ybok wrote:

Can you explain this one:��

33. Play the point, not the situation. (Danny Seemiller)

I think I understand the point part, what distinguishes that from the situation?

Focus on the single point, not whether you are down or up in games or losing or winning.
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 6:02pm
- Bend those knees!
- when playing BH topspin use Left arm for balance, dont keep it stuck right next to the body.
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 6:07pm
By "play the point, not the situation", he means if you are loseing, do not change your game. Many people when behind get too carefull giving the other an advantage. Stick to your game.
Same if you are way ahead, do not slack off. Seen many comebacks when given a chance.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 6:50pm
"Don't let the ball hit the paddle, the paddle should hit the ball."

lenwink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 8:00pm
Exactly as another said, he means to play each point as if that's the entire game; this is what's important, focus on THIS point....not your opponents rating, how many rating points you will win or lose, not the players in the table next to you, not the current score of your game and match. Focus ONLY on this point, the present, not the past or future. I believe I recall Danny telling us that he would "doublethink" or "trick" his mind into believing this was ALWAYS the MOST important point in the match, thus never losing focus. Much wisdom from those "isms"...
Aloha,
Len
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 8:11pm
guys copy and paste please so that we could compile these things
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 8:15pm
-in order to read your opponent's next move, focus on the racket angle and body movements. this will help you anticipate the next possible moves your opponent might do. getting clues from your opponent will help you decide on what to do next and not get surprised.
-brushing the ball is important as it will give the ball a forward and curved motion. having a curved ball will help make your shots no to go over the table. brushed balls are safer compared to balls which are being hit through the sponge with no brushing strokes.
-the kind of service you will make determines the next thing you must do and not do. e.g. - doing a no spin serve and then when the ball is returned, you will loop it with an open angle
-If your ball goes long, don't put less power, add more spin.
-Focus on the single point, not whether you are down or up in games or losing or winning.
-"Don't go up, go forward." "Don't stand up when you hit the ball."
-"Don't let the ball shoot out of your racket when you hit it, guide it forward and keep it on the racket as long as you can."
-"The reason the ball is hitting the bottom (side closest to the ground) of your racket is because you are too high. Get down so you can see the ball!"
-"Don't rush. Get there first. Then swing."
-"Your timing is so screwed up. You take the ball too far in front. Wait!"
-- Bend those knees!
- when playing BH topspin use Left arm for balance, dont keep it stuck right next to the body.
-"Don't let the ball hit the paddle, the paddle should hit the ball."

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 9:27pm
Some things I say to players;
1. Two good serves (always think in Tandom) and two good third balls
2. win at least one of their serves
3. Be ready (I coach some boys) and I say either you are ready or unready so its up to you, so remind yourself to be ready either at recieving serves or during the game.
4. Don't underestimate your opposition
5. Don't give up
6. Think about what you are good at (and do it)
7. Warm up
8. If you are winning keep the game going quickly
9. If you are loosing slow it down and get back to basics ie a good serve

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 9:37pm

"

/shrug. You'll have to explain yourself on that one. Keeping the ball on the racket is how I control the ball. I.E. making an active shot and carrying the ball forward rather than "eating the spin" and making a passive shot.

Not to detract from the thread, but I've had higher level players yell at me for "guiding" the ball.

Maybe there's some misunderstanding here. I certainly agree that you should not be stabbing at the ball or just passively approaching each shot, but keeping the ball on the racket (with chinese rubber at any rate, sounds like control-suicide).

The only players I've seen stroking past the ball had very fast handspeed and very good recovery/return to center (US1900 player looping from mid distance, his stroke would go PAST the ball by a few milliseconds and then the ball would shoot out). is this more what you mean?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 1:42am

"

Have you ever tried looping from 1-2 feet from the table?  Try to do drills, just fh to fh loop fast and try to keep it low.  Notice which balls go long.  I can almost guarantee that all those shots that go long are because you carried the ball for too long.  At this distance from the table, you want to just drive it through with tons of spin, not guide it forward.  If the ball stays in, it won't have any pace or spin.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 2:45am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Not to detract from the thread, but I've had higher level players yell at me for "guiding" the ball.

Maybe there's some misunderstanding here. I certainly agree that you should not be stabbing at the ball or just passively approaching each shot, but keeping the ball on the racket (with chinese rubber at any rate, sounds like control-suicide).

The only players I've seen stroking past the ball had very fast handspeed and very good recovery/return to center (US1900 player looping from mid distance, his stroke would go PAST the ball by a few milliseconds and then the ball would shoot out). is this more what you mean?

Have you ever tried looping from 1-2 feet from the table?  Try to do drills, just fh to fh loop fast and try to keep it low.  Notice which balls go long.  I can almost guarantee that all those shots that go long are because you carried the ball for too long.  At this distance from the table, you want to just drive it through with tons of spin, not guide it forward.  If the ball stays in, it won't have any pace or spin.
Yea, I think this is just an internet communication limitation. I don't even know how to exactly articulate it. "Stroke the ball" "Hit the ball rather than ball hit the racket"...however you want to put it. This is all much easier to demonstrate face to face.

As far as your looping example ohhgourami, I can loop just fine 1-2ft off the table, my problem area is past 6 ft Smile Maybe the chinese rubber behaves differently than japanese rubber or I innately finish correctly, but whenever I do get the ball to go "in" to my racket, it always shoots out with a ton more speed and spin (when I am looping).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:23am

Yea, I think this is just an internet communication limitation. I don't even know how to exactly articulate it. "Stroke the ball" "Hit the ball rather than ball hit the racket"...however you want to put it. This is all much easier to demonstrate face to face.

As far as your looping example ohhgourami, I can loop just fine 1-2ft off the table, my problem area is past 6 ft Smile Maybe the chinese rubber behaves differently than japanese rubber or I innately finish correctly, but whenever I do get the ball to go "in" to my racket, it always shoots out with a ton more speed and spin (when I am looping).

Probably a communication problem.  But Chinese rubbers do behave differently.  I'll probably post up a video on what I'm talking about.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 4:43am
Best advice ever?

-Always be prepared to attack the ball! If you can't attack it, it is easier to change to a defensive mode then it is if you are prepared to defend and get a ball that you can attack.

-Move your feet! Don't reach for the ball, move your feet to get in position instead.

-Play your opponent, not the table!

-When serving, do remind your self that this is the only time when you are actually in total control of the ball, so use it wisely and don't rush the serve!

-Listen to APW, a lot of these advices comes from him
The holy grail
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:22pm
Thanks Speedy.
The Older I get, The better I was.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:58pm
i had a coach a long time ago, like 10 yrs. ago, who used to say the following when i was practicing my serves: "move you arm outta the way!!  y'know, one day they're gonna change the rule and you're not gonna be able to hide the serve anymore, and then what are you gonna do??
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 5:36pm
One I can think of, which may provoke some debate, is;

Don't worry if the opponent puts the ball past you, he will, that is what he'd trying to do, your worry about this, can make you make uneccesary  mistakes.
The Older I get, The better I was.
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 7:08pm
I am a R handed CPen.
One common mistake when doing the traditional BH push is putting the R leg in front.  The coach corrected that.  The L (not R) leg should be slightly in front.  When your opponent suddenly hit the ball to your FH, you are not stuck but can take a quick side step and attack with the FH.  Some PH players has a weakness on the FH side because they don't know this little "step".  We won't be exactly like a Ma Lin but it will help a lot!
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 1:47pm

My university's former coach, left due to a new job, emphasized that generating ball speed is done by "swinging faster, not harder." By which he meant, instead of tensing up the arm and body for power, which usually slows down your swing, relax your arm and move your arm faster into the ball when you swing. Effectively you're using a fast arm speed instead of pure strength. I don't know if this explanation makes too much sense in words, but in practice it does work.

Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 2:23am
Can't think of just one thing.  So many.  Here are a few for the ages.

"You have more time than you think you do"  Eric Owens.

"You don't need to be quick to have great timing, sometimes it's better not to be"  Eric Owens.  I dedicate this one to APW46, who has great timing.

"Even at your pitiful level, you ought to be able to fake where you are going on returns of serves and pushes and even on loops occasionally -- freeze your opponent in indecision with a little fake, it's not that hard, you just have to think of doing it and practice it a little"  Eric Owens

"Most people think that trickiness in serves comes from spin or lack of spin and placement, but there is a third thing you can do, mess with cadence and trajectory."  Eric Owens (this one may require some elaboration, but it is an amazingly effective idea once you grasp it).

"A good serve isn't necessarily the spinniest serve.  People straining to get lots of spin on their serves usually have serves that are easy to read.  All it has to be is something other than what it appears to be"  Perry Schwartzberg.

"A return of serve is not like any other shot.  Everything has to be smaller, especially when you are attacking one that gets a bit long.  Even when you are not attacking on your return of serve it doesn't mean you push passively, but the stroke is very very small" Perry Schwartzberg

"You are too big.  Make yourself small"  Huijing Wang  (this one is almost like a zen koan.  This coach does not speak much English.  In the context that she first told it to me I think she wanted me to suck in my gut on return of serve.  Sometimes she says it when she wants me to stay in balance off the table.  At least I think that's what she means.

"Wipe off your rubber, how can you expect to get any spin with that filthy thing?"  Perry Schwartzberg

"If you tend to get mad at yourself, make sure to have exactly one and a half beers before a tournament.  Whisky doesn't work".  Viktor Subonj  (I have never actually tried this one).

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 2:32am
And now for some stuff that coaches told me that is simply wrong.

"Stop trying to spin with your short pips.  They are meant for flat hitting".

"You need to do more multiball drills"

"Your first instinct should be to take every ball with your forehand"

"Stand farther over to the left side when you serve"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic