Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Your Coach(es) Best Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 11:09am
"Do what I tell you to do. Not what I do." also "Be one with the ball".
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
Sponsored Links

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 11:19am
Stop trying to analyze every shot - just play.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 1:59pm
"keep the ball on the table"
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 6:39pm
"You really suck.  Maybe you should try hardbat."   :^)

Just joking Len.  :-)

Edited by wturber - 12/05/2011 at 6:39pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
lenwink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 6:47pm
LOL...Don't recall saying it in those exact words......
Aloha!
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 6:58pm
"Chop and hop" - when chopping, of course.  A nice little rhyme to remind you to get your feet reset right away during the follow through of your chop.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 11:45pm
Since I get some coaching from Brian Pace whenever we bring him up for a long weekend, I'm guessing that Brian will also say...

"Those #$!^$@ Chinese National Team players are SCARY good".  Ouch 
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 2:50pm
i consider my self a begginer although i do know the use of wrist and spin shots but since all i have learned i learn from watching not actual coaching this mega thread is a gold mine for me, From the bottom of my heart thanks to all of you, great great tips i will take my time to read them all thanks again!!
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 10:57am
My favorite quote whenever players were caught out of position was:

"As long as you can touch the ball, you should be able to get it in"

He was kind of evil during multi-ball and table sprint training.
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 11:12am
It depends which side of the table you are on.  It's a common technique of close to the table footwork.

If you are on your BH side of the table the, you want your Left Leg forward to be able to rush to the Forehand side of the table with 1 cross step.  So even on your FH, if you receive a ball on the BH side of the table, you would want to keep the same stance.  In this stance you can even slide to the net from the side of the table.

On the FH side of the table you want to receive with your right foot forward close to the table for both FH and BH stroke.  So you can get to the other side in 1 cross step.
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2012 at 10:32am
When discussing H3 commercial, H3 provincial, and H3 National

"That rubber is not for you" .... LOL
Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2012 at 2:39pm
All you need is START THINKING
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2012 at 2:24pm
When you block a ball coming slow but loaded with spin, don't just put the bat passively thinking all you have to do is to get the angle right. Even if it's coming slow it'll pick up speed once it hits your bat and shoot off the table. Flick it on the top a little bit to counter the spin + put a little bit of yours on it.

^ one of the most common mistakes in receiving slow spinny balls
YosuaYosan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YosuaYosan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 6:07am
Probably for me as a 'young' player my late 10s:
"Chill kid.. Being fast is easy once you get your technique straight.."

I modified his line a bit though :p
GFoT| Blade : ProTop Arylate FL • FH : DHS 3 NEO BLACK MAX • BH : Kokutaku 007 Inner Power Sponge RED MAX

Crossover to Takeover!
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I am not a coach.  When some players with less experience than me hitting the ball off the table or into the next,  I would tell them not to practise mistakes.  They are the ones who tend to hit hard but not accurate. Practise by keeping the ball on the table instead of practising mistakes hitting the ball off the table or into the net. 
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 4:59pm
PH- Coach.. dealing with long pushes.. dotn try and spin it too much. instead slap the ball more and follow through. this aids in quicker recovery and less evenrgy used for a similar effect
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 5:33pm
"Don't give up your day job..." LOL  and always expect your shot to come back.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2012 at 3:52am
One I heard recently that made me laugh.

"I can teach you that, but will you be able to use it in a game?"
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

One I heard recently that made me laugh.

"I can teach you that, but will you be able to use it in a game?"

your reply could be. "then teach me how to use it in a game " :P
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
BizLawProf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2012 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by ybok ybok wrote:

Can you explain this one:  

33. Play the point, not the situation. (Danny Seemiller)

I think I understand the point part, what distinguishes that from the situation?

Don't gag on deuce, fifth set.  Play the point only.  A return of serve, loop, chop, flick is the exact same thing and motion on the last point of the match as on the first point of the match.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2012 at 2:32pm
Two pearls of wisdom from my old coach (University team)

a) table tennis is a really simple game. All you need to do is to win one point. The last one.

b) brain, feet, body, hands - that's the right sequence. The great players are those who can learn to finally skip the "brain" step.

And I should add - the great veteran players are those who can play using just the last part of the sequence. (the first three either not needed or don't work anymore) Big smile
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
seiyafan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seiyafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 10:22pm
"Move your legs!"
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2013 at 1:47am
"Don't rush - take your time - you have more time than you think"
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2013 at 12:42pm
touch the ball, which means, be in position,  play to a location.
sharkcard
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 9:38am
"Nobody cares how many practice matches you win."
Meaning to use practice matches to practice, not for ego trip.

"If you can't handle a return shot, that means you hit the ball too hard.  Play at your speed, not your opponent's speed."

Me: "Coach, my FH loop is bad."  Coach: "Hit 10,000 of them in match play and if it's still a problem ask me again."  Me: ShockedShocked  Coach: "No, really, 10,000.  You can count them."

These were Brian Pace.

Edited by BRS - 07/26/2013 at 9:39am
nikk64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikk64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 9:54am
Several different coaches with the same advice for my game - move your feet and not your handShocked

Edited by nikk64 - 07/26/2013 at 9:56am
Butterfly Boll Tricarbon off , FH- Armstrong Attack 8 PZC-SP EX-X- 4.0 , RPB-Butterfly Tenergy 80-FX- max
video-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0vx5
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 12:47pm
For the most part my coach doesn't say much.  He doesn't need to.  I made it clear up front to beat me without mercy. Then it is painfully obvious what my faults are.  I have been taking lessons for about 6 months now, two hours a week.  I am learning to adapt after losing points the same way over and over and over and over again.  Just getting ball back is not good enough because if it is a weak return I won't even get my paddle on the next ball.

My coach doesn't say too much about footwork.  He simply hits the ball at the edges or at the elbow.  He loves hooking loops across my elbow area where I think should use my BH then I realize too late that I need to step to the left to hit it with my FH.  I have to watch how he hits the ball so I can predict sooner where the ball will go.  Again,  I have to adapt and move.  I have come to realize that I got to start moving as soon as I can after the coach hits the ball to be in position.  Too often I wait too long to move. 

My coach didn't say too much about serves.  It it obvious that I made a poor serve when I have a hard time just trying to get back the third ball.

My coach did show me how to hold the paddle when serving so I could use my wrist more.  It made a big difference because now when I serve I make what looks like the same strokes but simply use my wrist more or less to vary the spin.  I am told it is hard to read my serves easily.  I also use my loser grip to add more top spins to my BH loops.  BTW, I like my Firewall Plus but the handle is big and it is harder to flex the wrist without the handle bumping into my wrist. 

Sometimes it is a little frustrating using this beat me without mercy negative feedback approach.

I tend to be a little too aggressive. My coach says that I should give the other person a chance to screw up.  However,  when I am playing with the coach he doesn't screw up much so I must be aggressive to win points.   BTW,  I have told the coach that I think he is too passive but then he is playing me and giving me a chance to screw up.

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

1. Using pushing play style, you can beat lot of good players.
2. Me: Coach, can you teach me service returns, I'm very bad with this? C: It's easy, just topspin everything.

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I found these posts really interesting. I'm around a 12-1300 level player. Just got done with a disappointing tournament where I honestly did not play very well.

What happened? 
- Played a lot of unorthadox players who play with little to no spin or push all day.
- I missed too many shots where I got the ball I wanted.

I think an observation I've made is don't fall in love with watching the Ma Longs vs Xu Xins of the world thinking "that's how I should play". That game of table tennis (where it's largely off the table counterlooping) is very different from the one I see almost entirely (more of a closed game, close to the table, who is going to be the first one to open it up?) If I were ever to be a 2000 rated player someday? Sure. Shoot for that more professional style. But at this point that's looking highly unlikely.

IMO there are several, several players in my range to about 1700 you can beat with a solid push/defensive game.

Thus the two quotes I posted above I feel tie together and are extremely important.

Best advice I've ever heard:
#1 rule - "keep the ball on the table"

Worse advice I've ever heard? It's not necessarily bad but I suppose my interpretation of it was bad.... Probably "In modern table tennis, if the ball is off the table, attack it." While this is true for high level players, I think it has put a mindset in my head (penholder) that I am currently trying deprogram. I often miss low % shots because it's low, off the table and I'm trying to loop a hard winner. Furthermore, this mindset puts pressure on me thinking that if I'm going to get to 11 points, I'm going to have to hit about 8-9 good winners. 

#1 rule - "keep the ball on the table". I like this one best. Sometimes just staying in the point is the best thing you can do. Let the opponent prove they can win points also vs just giving them freebies.

Edited by suds79 - 07/26/2013 at 1:21pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 10:06am

"MONSTER NAMELESS IS A MERE GNAT...."

Stay calm.
Never have visual contact, eye-to-eye, with your opponent. Only monitor opponent's racket hand and the ball.
   Foget opponents's civil name and his rating standpoint..
Keep up your own preferred playing rhitm and pace; don't be hurry-scurry when serving.

Thus could you beat anybody.

I learned those proficient guidances back in my remote sweet youth, ... years ago. And those stil working for me only too well.    
Why need I volumes of boring, prolific books if a single word of wisdom is sufficient?

Thanks to the guidance, I can now play any Chinese monsters without any fear in my heart.. Fear kills.

A monster nameless is NOBODY, just a gnat insignificant.    Nothing to be fidget about.....

Dear COACH, i will preserve your every word thankfully. Thanks for giving those useful teachings to make me a rockfast player mentally. BE HAPPY IN THE AFTERLIFE, DAD.
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 10:19am
"It's all timing" -Wang Zhen aka Eugene Wang.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic