Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Coach(es) Best Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 10:52am
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

"It's all timing" -Wang Zhen aka Eugene Wang.

I heard Eugene say that once too.  It is so true!  And he pretty much never mistimes a shot. 

So how to do it?  "Concentrate on making back-swing the same speed as ball is coming at you if you are having problems with timing.  Bring racket back fast if ball is fast, slow if ball is slow, it keeps you from rushing, which is more common a problem than being late."  I got this gem from Eric Owens.
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 10:56am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

"Don't rush - take your time - you have more time than you think"
  One of my favorites.  Eric used to say that a lot too.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 11:11am
Another good one from a coach in my wife's home town in China.  Most people think that they are in a perfectly neutral stance when it feels like they have equal weight on both legs.  Actually, most of the time when it feels like that, you actually have more weight on right leg (assuming you are right handed) because for most people the right leg is stronger.  Because of this you move slowly to the right on a strongly angled ball. It is almost impossible to move in that direction if the right side is supporting more of your weight, so first you have to transfer weight to left side and then move.  In worst case, you lose balance and end up with the right leg far in front of left at end of the shot.  Once that happens you are totally hosed for the rest of the point.  To avoid this catastrophic footwork error, (1) increase strength in left leg, and until that happens, (2) be aware that a truly neutral ready position is one in which it feels like there is a bit more weight on your left leg.    
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 11:13am
" Maintain a good form at all times "  primarily meaning that I should somehow hide my belly (I am about 25 pounds overweight...) hit the backhansd in front of me, and not over-hit the fast forehand loops over the table (which is hard because of the belly). 
He is 50 pounds lighter than me, he glides on the floor... but HE IS a nice gentleman...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

"It's all timing" -Wang Zhen aka Eugene Wang.

I heard Eugene say that once too.  It is so true!  And he pretty much never mistimes a shot. 

So how to do it?  "Concentrate on making back-swing the same speed as ball is coming at you if you are having problems with timing.  Bring racket back fast if ball is fast, slow if ball is slow, it keeps you from rushing, which is more common a problem than being late."  I got this gem from Eric Owens.

When he and I were doing one on one for about 15 mins I asked him and he said that I was not ready by the time the ball was bouncing. I practiced this but did not get it until about 3 weeks ago(clinic was in June). 

I actually observe that the take back on shots varies allot and in most cases the paddle is taken back slightly faster than the incoming ball speed especially on the BH. What does not vary much at all is the footwork and loading up of the legs at the bounce. So that is what I focused on. 

Best example of really good ball timing that is obvious is ZJK. You can really see it on his serve return, He bounces twice each time in sync with the first and second bounce of the ball. Every single time the ball is bouncing his legs are loaded and then he pushes up as the ball is rising from the bounce. Every shot, FH or BH. Also on serve, he always completes his transition to the ready position at the time of the second bounce of his serve. Now look at the other pros. They pretty much all do it. 

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 8:56pm
"You need to run throughout the week."
-Sakda Timsuwan

When I run regularly throughout the week, my movement in table tennis is so much easier.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 11:06pm
My Chinese coach says " follow body"
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 7:30pm
My coach at a local club gave me some good advice on making sure that the racket is parallel to the table on close to the table shots. Obviously, the loop and longer drives will have a different racket head angle, but for shorter ranged drives, it is best to make contact with the ball at the side and to hit it parallel. This advice moved me from a 1500 player to a 1700 player in about two months. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
jondave View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jondave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 11:16pm
"Son, buy a decent bat."
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

My coach at a local club gave me some good advice on making sure that the racket is parallel to the table on close to the table shots. Obviously, the loop and longer drives will have a different racket head angle, but for shorter ranged drives, it is best to make contact with the ball at the side and to hit it parallel. This advice moved me from a 1500 player to a 1700 player in about two months. 

This is terrible advice!  I cannot see how anyone could improve using this unless they were playing players twice their age.  I think you need to switch to anti-spin and long pips immediately.  

Welcome to the forum, young Jonathan!  Wink
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 4:08pm

I must be picturing this wrong in my head.  Parallel to the table - wouldn't that mean completely open or completely closed?
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

I must be picturing this wrong in my head.  Parallel to the table - wouldn't that mean completely open or completely closed?

It would be almost completely open. Remember, these are just for on the table drives. A better way of putting it would be that the motion of the racket is parallel. 

@dabookerman - I believe that's Jason? Yep! A player from North Carolina told me about these forums a few days ago, so I decided to check it out. There are definitely some good tips on here. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 4:54pm

@dabookerman - I believe that's Jason? Yep! A player from North Carolina told me about these forums a few days ago, so I decided to check it out. There are definitely some good tips on here. 
[/QUOTE]

You got me.  Of course, you conveniently FORGOT that I told you about this forum a LONG time ago... Ouch  You'll have to tell me at the club if I know who it is from NC.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 9:56pm
Male Korean coaches best all-time tip...

"In Amature Korea Table Tennis, there are too many ringers 2-3 divisions under-classified waiting atop each division like someone hiding behind the door with a baseball bat. You won't make the finals unless you are the best of these ringers on this day... Instead... Don't worry about making the finals. Think about the big get-together and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th after-after missions after the initial feast the club throws and be a hero then." 
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2013 at 10:02pm
Snivy, it is also hard for me as you saw a few weeks ago over the table all I do is punch block, but you need to use the arm like there is a hinge on a stationary elbow with arm hinging on elbow going forward like forearm is parallel to table, instead of trying to use a lot of all the body. There isn't a lot of time to do that and we are inconstant doing it like that. It is different as much as the strokes opening vs underspin and continuing attack vs block. 

That practice game thing we did with the short push and 1st player attack shows you have a LOT of promise in playing that style.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2014 at 6:46am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

1) You must stay on your toes and move.

2) Hit from the hips.

3) Make spin.

4) The body is relaxed until the moment of contact.  Hold your breadth just before striking.

5) Use your fingers at the moment of contact.

6) The stroke is short, forward, and accelerate through the ball.

best advice ever!
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2014 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Another good one from a coach in my wife's home town in China.  Most people think that they are in a perfectly neutral stance when it feels like they have equal weight on both legs.  Actually, most of the time when it feels like that, you actually have more weight on right leg (assuming you are right handed) because for most people the right leg is stronger.  Because of this you move slowly to the right on a strongly angled ball. It is almost impossible to move in that direction if the right side is supporting more of your weight, so first you have to transfer weight to left side and then move.  In worst case, you lose balance and end up with the right leg far in front of left at end of the shot.  Once that happens you are totally hosed for the rest of the point.  To avoid this catastrophic footwork error, (1) increase strength in left leg, and until that happens, (2) be aware that a truly neutral ready position is one in which it feels like there is a bit more weight on your left leg.    

+1 I have achieved that by narrowing my starting stance.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2014 at 2:10am
One that really helped me that my coach told me at the very start...

If playing with black on the forehand, you should not be able to see any of the black side when you follow through with your forehand stroke.  If you can, that means you've turned your wrist incorrectly and you'll be hitting the ball off the left side of the table (assuming you're right handed).  

Same with the back-hand.  With red on the backhand, you should not see red when completing your backhand stroke or you'll be hitting the ball off the right side of the table.  

Ensuring that you're only seeing the opposite side when you follow through with your stroke will keep the paddle flat (even though you're closed) with the table and greatly increase your accuracy/consistency.  

Edited by angelleye - 08/07/2014 at 2:10am
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2014 at 3:05pm
Great thread with a lot of good advice. My coach often tells me to not stress to much because you always have more time than you think.  
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2014 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

Stop trying to analyze every shot - just play.

Thats a great advice, it's very easy to think too much when you play. I have a tendency to become stagnant when I think too much. 
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2014 at 3:59pm
"Have you thought of trying another sport?"

(not said to me, but I heard it said to another player)
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2014 at 4:01pm
"don't bend your racket downwards, while looping... it will aggravate your shoulder pain, and will give you only 10% extra spin, but 30% less control"

it worked miraculously.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2014 at 4:18pm
There's a KFC at the bottom of the road.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 6:56pm
My coach once said: "The ball is very light, so why the hell you´re spending this amount of energy of arms, shoulder and legs? Focus on the contact of racket against the ball, this is important."
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

My coach once said: "The ball is very light, so why the hell you´re spending this amount of energy of arms, shoulder and legs? Focus on the contact of racket against the ball, this is important."
So just tap the ball back and forth? 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:18pm

It took me 3 yrs of playing to appreciate how truly deep this insight is.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:36pm
Figure out how to reduce your middle.  (Eric Owens).  So then we would do drills where we would rally at a moderate pace (at first) where the goal for each of us was to attack the middle. As time went on, we would speed up. He had no middle.  Mine was.........   larger.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 12:56am
-  Do you know you can actually spin to/at someone and win the point?  You don't have to always loop away from them.
- Stop pushing serves so much - it will get you into trouble as you get better.
- Play the match the way you played in practice. 
- If you miss, we can improve your shot.  If you don't take your shot, there is nothing to improve so you can't get better.
- When starting out, don't serve underspin because you want have an attacking mindset.  Serve no spin so that you can attack the return.  When your loop vs. underspin improves, you can start serving underspin.
- In pushing rallies, many beginners think they missed a backspin ball, when they really missed a no spin ball.  The same applies when someone pops up the ball.
- Spin to win!
- Don't give your opponent so much credit that he (almost) never needs to make a return or a third ball to win a point.  Put the ball in play first and analyze his attack.
Cybershape Carbon
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 10:02am

Please don´t be intellectually dishonest. You know what it means.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 10:25am

Yes!  Big backswings with poor timing end up leading to taps - so why tap with a big backswing when you can tap with a small backswing and make good contact and more power with less energy?
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic