FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Backhand loop worthless with WRB blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backhand loop worthless with WRB blade?
    Posted: 05/26/2011 at 9:18pm
I've been playing with a WRB blade now for a little while (Banda Pegasus All+ [Offensive Classic clone]).  It's very flexible and extremely heavy with Chinese rubber.  I really feel like my forehand loops are there there with this blade.  It has taught me to be aware of the spin on the ball, go for the blade's sweet-spot, and and flick with the wrist.  My backhand loop, on the other hand, is miserable. 
     Just recently I've employed my first coach, who is working with me to get the backhand loop down.  I've experimented with an Avalox P500, which has a somewhat similar feel to the Pegasus FH, but the backhand feels much more stable.  The P500 is much heavier (92g as opposed to the Pegasus' 81g) and it feels more solid and balanced, though still a little head heavy.  My question is this -- Are backhand loops harder to execute with a head-heavy WRB bat? Is it futile for me to try learn with the Pegasus?  I've heard the OC's one weakness is poor feeling on backhands, so that was why I wondered. 
     I know many member of this forum are not fond of hollowed handles, but I've grown accustomed to the feel and prefer it for my forehand.  Maybe my rubber is all wrong (JOOLA Drum, 2.0)
Or maybe I just need more training :)

Edited by king_pong - 05/26/2011 at 9:18pm
Sponsored Links

Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 9:24pm
You said you flick your wrist on you forehand loop, do you do the same for the backhand?
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 9:24pm
I belive newer made Avalox P Series are also "WRB"
Look the picture of my blade when I had to fix the broken handle:

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 9:24pm
easy, answer is easy. You just need more training. That is all.
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 9:24pm
Blame the equipment, not the player
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

I belive newer made Avalox P Series are also "WRB"
Look the picture of my blade when I had to fix the broken handle:

This blade has been routed on the exact same machine by the same guy as a YEO, 100% same factory for sure

Edited by bluebucket - 05/26/2011 at 9:49pm
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 9:49pm
Yes, they are made at Woodhouse, Sweden.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 9:51pm
Yes, head-heavy setups suck for the BH, especially if you don't have a strong forearm.  I had a heavy setup before that was also head-heavy, and I couldn't even practice my BH because after a few days of training, my wrist would hurt like hell and my thumb would swell up big time.  I changed it to a setup that's about 40 grams or so lighter and it's improved my BH tremendously.

For you, though, 81 grams for a blade really isn't that much, even with two heavy Chinese rubbers and being head heavy.  Unless you're a kid or you're getting injuries from it, you should just work on it and improve your forearm strength.  Keep in mind that backhand looping requires a LOT of wrist movement.  If you need help improving your technique, try starting from this tutorial of Zhang Jike's backhand:

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Yes, they are made at Woodhouse, Sweden.

I did some searching around on Swedish pages and found they make Yasaka and Donic blades, but like you say I'm sure than Axalox also comes from there. There's also a blade factory in Germany and there at least used to be one in Belgium that made blades for TSP, does that still exist? anyone from Belgium know?
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2011 at 4:00pm
How is it that Banda Pegasus is a faster clone of OC but still tagged as ALL+? What is the size of the head?
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 6:24am
Don't ask me.  I've never played OC, but this website's description would imply that --
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 6:31am
Originally posted by DeIgado DeIgado wrote:

easy, answer is easy. You just need more training. That is all.
+1
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

Don't ask me.  I've never played OC, but this website's description would imply that --

Looks very much like HK. Smile
hut8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hut8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 4:16pm
if you use wood  to block up the handle  will it play better  
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 4:49pm
Lead fishing weights are the all natural cure for WRB.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
iCanLoopHard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iCanLoopHard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 5:03pm
i can backhand loop with my shoe...
Sponsored by Sportscraft
US Rating 2004
MJ fh:to5 bh:t64
photino,klhs
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

Looks very much like HK. Smile

I didn't appreciate the blade at all until I put some tuned JOOLA Drum (Chinese rubber) on it, and it came alive like fire!  Speed, spin, was all there.  It's extremely flexible.  It flexes under the pressure of your fingers.  I don't know if that's the idea, but it works with those tacky Chinese rubbers pretty well (Globe 999 is probably the best feel on it).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic