Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

J-1 Galaxy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NewPenhold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewPenhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J-1 Galaxy
    Posted: 11/06/2011 at 1:10am
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had a j-1 jpen that they could give some reviews on. Also, would this blade be good for jpen rbh? thanks

Edited by NewPenhold - 11/06/2011 at 1:11am
Sponsored Links

stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2011 at 2:40am
Lost my post. :-(

I have J-1 in Cpen. It's about 11+ mm thick and quite heavy to carry two inverted rubbers. The wood itself feels interesting - it "sucks" the ball in and then "spits" it out. However, it's somehow inconsistent on high speeds, so I can use it only for slow allround play with long pips on one side.
If you want to try a single ply, I would suggest MIT Cypress from ping-pong.tw - they have nice Cpens with a-la Jpen handles, so you can play RPB normally and they are thin enough to have comfortable grip.

I gave up trying using RPB on Jpens because I come to conclusion that Jpen style requires really fast feet or at least really fast hand, so lighter setup with a single rubber is a must to Jpen.

Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewPenhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2011 at 8:58am
I was wondering about the backhand side of the blade too. Does it have cork on that side, or is it mostly just wooden like the forehand?
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2011 at 12:54pm
The back side of J-1 Jpen is covered with cork, like on most (all?) traditional Jpens.

Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewPenhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2011 at 5:16pm
Does anyone have any experience in converting a J-1 to RPB?
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2011 at 5:38pm
Whenever I put a rubber on the back of a jpen blade, the balance gets messed up and it weakens my forehand. I would then have to put weight on the handles. Not worth it. The smaller blade area of a jpen is also a handicap for brush looping. 

If you want to play RPB stick with cpen. Jpen is better than cpen for driving and pushing, but for everything else cpen is better. 

Edited by cotdt - 11/06/2011 at 5:38pm
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 11:17am
Originally posted by NewPenhold NewPenhold wrote:

Does anyone have any experience in converting a J-1 to RPB?
I actually did exactly that. I was first trying to preserve the cork but it was too delicate and started to break into pieces. I just peeled it off and carefully sanded off the black paint. This took about 2 hours and was a pain to do. My J-1 Jpen weighs 94 grams so 2 inverted rubbers would have been quite heavy. I decided to use long pips ox on the back. I actually prefer the longer head shape to that of Cpen as the sweetspot is farther away from the fingers and there is more space to use. Since I like to extend my fingers on the backside, my fingertips were very close to the RPB sweetspot. I hit the ball with my fingers a lot less often now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewPenhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 1:16pm
How is your RPB with long pips? What kind of long pips are you using? I dont want to play exclusive RPB, I just want to be able to hit it if need be. I would like a decent loop capability off the backhand  
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 2:22pm
I want to let you know first that I use a lot of the traditional backhand. I am not an exclusive RPB player on the backhand side. Palio CK531A OX black is what I use. It has a good amount of grip so I can create some spin. I mainly use it to add variation to my serve receive game. For defense I use it for passive blocks close to the table and I also chop with it away from the table. Passive blocks don't have much spin reversal but it is still great for confusing my opponent. My favorite shot is the flick close to the net. It is fast with low spin and very difficult to return. The J-1 makes a very nice sound when hitting with OX pips and it feels even better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic