Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does anyone still use Sriver series rubbers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone still use Sriver series rubbers?
    Posted: 10/21/2014 at 12:09pm
Does anyone still use Sriver rubbers? Original Sriver, EL, FX and the G2/G2FX and G3/G3FX series?

I'm asking this because there aren't any people that I know that still use them. Mostly it's the Hurricane 3 Neo type rubbers, Tenergy, or some sort of Tenergy clones.

I'm contemplating on downgrading from Tenergy (when it dies) since at the level I'm playing right now I think I don't need to spend $68/sheet of rubber. Don't get me wrong, I love T05 both sides and want to use it forever but it's just so expensive and currently I'm not playing any tournaments. I can use it perfectly fine, no complains. Hitting FH/BH, looping with my FH, blocking both FH/BH are all easy. I can BH flick weak side/backspin with direction as well. The only thing technique wise that I still need to learn is BH loop vs. topspin and backspin (not tenergy problem).

So, I was thinking of trying sriver rubbers both sides preferably the same rubber and same thickness on my TB ALC. I know they are great beginner rubbers to learn stroke mechanics with, but if mechanics are already set would I still advance with them in terms of creating similar amounts of spin as I create with Tenergy.

For those that tried T05 and Sriver rubbers, which Sriver is close to overall hardness to T05?

Also, which Sriver rubber can create most mechanical spin on loops and serve? Aka which has the most grip that is comparable to T05s?

***Note***
I know there are rubbers out there that can perform better (like Vega, Sigma series) than Sriver for the same price ($30-50) but I'm not really looking for "better". I'm looking for slower, a bit less spin, reliable all-around rubber that will still help me advance my all-around attacking style without spending $70/sheet and would still last as long as tenergy.

Edited by DreiZ - 10/21/2014 at 1:22pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Sponsored Links

dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 12:42pm
Try Xiom Musa! :)
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 1:38pm
ew no. agree with danny. xiom musa is a good modern alt. i gave to a student and he loves it.

other than g3 which some ppl still use while developing their bh instead of tenergy, no reason to get sriver unless ur a beginner. even then, u can get musa for cheaper and greater durability. 

Edited by kurokami - 10/21/2014 at 1:39pm
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 1:45pm
On BTY hardness scale, Tenergy 05 sponge is 36°

- Sriver L is 38°
- Sriver EL is 35°
- Sriver FX is 32°
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

- Sriver L is 38°
- Sriver EL is 35°
- Sriver FX is 32°

but is that overall hardness or only sponge hardness?

I would like to know which one feels overall similar to T05, not just sponge.

I used EL 4-5 years ago on a Korbel and I honestly forgot the feeling. All I can remember is that it was a bit mushy on my BH, but it could have been the blade as well.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 1:52pm
@dannyreventon
@kurokami

how does xiom musa play on FH?

@kurokami
would sriver g3 both sides help with developing technique as well as progress or is it a waste of $50?

Edited by DreiZ - 10/21/2014 at 1:54pm
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

- Sriver L is 38°
- Sriver EL is 35°
- Sriver FX is 32°

but is that overall hardness or only sponge hardness?

I would like to know which one feels overall similar to T05, not just sponge.

I used EL 4-5 years ago on a Korbel and I honestly forgot the feeling. All I can remember is that it was a bit mushy on my BH, but it could have been the blade as well.

Only sponge.

Overall feel I belive Sriver L is the closer one. I'm not very sure because last time I tried Sriver L was a long time ago and with a lot of speed glue.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 2:03pm
g3 is like bryce with sriver feel. if you have alc with 05/05 now, unless it's really too difficult atm, i'd stick with it. 

musa is like sriver in performance but tensor-like feel.

i didn't find any sriver to be like tenergy in feel. closest of the 3 though would be L.  

Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 2:03pm
EL does feel a bit mushy coming from tenergy - it is not your blade.

I know that G3 is currently being used by a US player - Gao Yan Jun, who was at his peak in the upper 2600's.  He currently uses G3 on his backhand (and tenergy 05 on his FH) and recommends G3 or G3FX to his students as a Tenergy alternative, and his backhand loop is a feature of his game.  

I've also used G3FX in the past when developing my backhand and the only thing I didn't like as that is was too light for me.  Everything else worked well.
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

EL does feel a bit mushy coming from tenergy - it is not your blade.

I know that G3 is currently being used by a US player - Gao Yan Jun, who was at his peak in the upper 2600's.  He currently uses G3 on his backhand (and tenergy 05 on his FH) and recommends G3 or G3FX to his students as a Tenergy alternative, and his backhand loop is a feature of his game.  

I've also used G3FX in the past when developing my backhand and the only thing I didn't like as that is was too light for me.  Everything else worked well.

Thanks schen. I figured someone high up USATT2500+ must be still using it as a BH rubber. Wang Hao or Ma Lin used Sriver on Bryce sponge at one point which is basically sriver g3. Does he boost it?

How was G3FX compared in terms of feel for the ball to T05, grip wise? I play mostly flicks, drives away from the table, blocks on my BH, so no looping yet. Would you recommend G3 or G3FX on my current blade?

Also weight is not really a problem for me, I think a lighter setup might help with faster arm swing actually. My current setup is 188g, T05 2.1 both sides + TB ALC.

Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

g3 is like bryce with sriver feel. if you have alc with 05/05 now, unless it's really too difficult atm, i'd stick with it.

musa is like sriver in performance but tensor-like feel.

i didn't find any sriver to be like tenergy in feel. closest of the 3 though would be L.

Its not difficult at all on my FH for hits and loops. On my BH I love it for flicks, blocks, drives because of insane grip and catapult tenergy 05 has but I do have difficulty looping but that's just my technique that needs tweeking. Part of the reason why I think sriver (g3) might help improve my BH.

Thanks for your input Kurokami.

Edited by DreiZ - 10/21/2014 at 2:19pm
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 2:20pm
G3/G3FX is not as grippy as T05, which lends itself to easier control.  That said, it is indeed a downgrade in spin and speed but the gain in control is pretty great.  There is not as much catapult or dwell compared to tenergy and is much less springy with a more direct feel.

I've also had difficulty playing consistently with T05 on my BH but my solution to that problem was returning to T64 - you may want to consider that as an option as well if you haven't tried it already (unless price is still a prohibitive factor)!  I find it is actually the best suited for the playstyle you have described, and is very similar to my own.

Edited by schen - 10/21/2014 at 2:21pm
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

G3/G3FX is not as grippy as T05, which lends itself to easier control.  That said, it is indeed a downgrade in spin and speed but the gain in control is pretty great.  There is not as much catapult or dwell compared to tenergy and is much less springy with a more direct feel.

I've also had difficulty playing consistently with T05 on my BH but my solution to that problem was returning to T64 - you may want to consider that as an option as well if you haven't tried it already (unless price is still a prohibitive factor)!  I find it is actually the best suited for the playstyle you have described, and is very similar to my own.

I was actually a cpen player back in the day for a bit and used primorac off- with t05/t64. I was a beginner and I have no idea why I bought those rubbers on that blade but they actually played really well as I remember. RPB was easy to block and flick, but I was no where close to looping with it. IMHO T64 didn't have that grip and feel for the ball as T05 has right now for me (of course my game has developed much more now). It was super easy to block with but right now I can block with almost little effort with T05, but I think that's because my ALC does most of the job there along with the catapult.

Right now price is still a factor, but so is improvement in the game. Time will tell. I'm going to try and get the most out of my current rubbers and if I'm still in the same position as I am right now ill downgrade to g3 both sides.

Edited by DreiZ - 10/21/2014 at 2:30pm
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 2:32pm
Forget Sriver Series unless you are a drive/block/control player. If you mix in loops Regular Mark V is better for loop/short game. Max thickness Mark V can do it all at the control level you are looking for. Also Musa is very well liked and gives nice performance in the under $40 dollar range.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 2:45pm
You could use Sriver if you speed glue it every day.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 3:32pm
I tried Sriver fx with booster and I did not like I at all. However they were awesome when you could speed glue!
thatguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 4:58pm
You should try Mark V 30...but to answer your question, Sriver EL...if you can generate speed either will do but for the "less spinnier" of the two it would be the Mark V 30...why the V30...softer sponge versus the regular Mark V much more control but both top sheets have less spin vs the Sriver.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by thatguy thatguy wrote:

You should try Mark V 30...but to answer your question, Sriver EL...if you can generate speed either will do but for the "less spinnier" of the two it would be the Mark V 30...why the V30...softer sponge versus the regular Mark V much more control but both top sheets have less spin vs the Sriver.

I am a looper/counter player and have been for decades. Back when I used Sriver, Sriver only matches regular Mark V in spin only if it has been speed glued. Unglued Mark V is spinnier especially at mid distance from table and on service than unglued Sriver. Sriver can be spinny when brush looping but requires more effort than Mark V. Just my 2 cents.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 7:47pm
i speed glue sriver on my YEO every now and then. g2fx/g3fx is a great BH rubber. but with regards to spin.. unglued sriver will not compare to Tenergy. just my opinion tho
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

i speed glue sriver on my YEO every now and then. g2fx/g3fx is a great BH rubber. but with regards to spin.. unglued sriver will not compare to Tenergy. just my opinion tho

Of course it wouldn't compare to Tenergy. The only comparison I asked was for the overall hardness.

I only asked for mechanical spin comparison within Sriver family, which one might be the most spinny or with the most grip.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 11:42pm
Honestly, unless you are using Tenergy 05 or 64, Butterfly rubbers are kind of awful for the price you pay. Like others have said Musa (or maybe now Musa 2 since it has been recently released is a good choice. Maybe one of the Vega rubbers are a good "in between" type rubber where you don't want the speed of top tier rubbers but you don't want the deadness of older classic rubbers.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 7:14am
In Greece there is a lot of people who still buys and use sriver and sriver FX.

Edited by *_strataras_* - 10/22/2014 at 7:15am
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 7:28am
Unless you are not taking care of the rubber, Tenergy can last you a year.  $68 a year is a decent deal to me.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic