Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to find ITTF rules (not just laws of TT)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to find ITTF rules (not just laws of TT)
    Posted: 11/02/2015 at 12:39pm
It turns out that if you just search the ITTF Laws of Table Tennis, there are quite a few important things you just won't find there, especially about  rubbers, balls, blades, and other arcane stuff that are of interest to more advanced players, and fans of the top events.  ITTF does not always make it easy to find what you need to know.

Here are some links to ITTF literature that provide answers to a lot of questions that come up here.  I think (hope) I have found the most up-to-date versions, but this stuff changes periodically.

Sometimes you need to search ITTF Technical Bulletin T3 for balls  http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/T3_Ball_BoD2015.pdf

Technical bulletin T4 for blades and their coverings http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/T4_Racket_Coverings_BoD2013.pdf .

Sometimes you need to search the ITTF Handbook http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/2014/2014_2015_ITTF_HB.pdf

Or something different, known as the Handbook for Match Officials  http://www.ittf.com/URC/PDF/HMO_15th_edition.pdf

List of approved balls  http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=balls

List of authorized racket coverings http://ittf.com/stories/pictures/LARC_2015A.pdf

This being the ITTF, some of what is written is not as precise as you might like.  Feel free to add more if you know about it.

Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2015 at 12:47pm
I remember Sharara has written on ooakforum about improving on that, especially all those technical leaflets.  Apparently another empty "promise."
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2015 at 12:54pm
Often times here "rules" questions have come up*.  Sometimes I know the answer (or think I do) but I want to provide the exact wording used by ITTF (because experience shows that the rule may be about as clear as mud).  But then I don't remember where it is.  I end up clicking through lots of these sites and reading through before I find it.

It really is absurd.

* In the for sale section a question very recently came up about a blade with the carbon layer on the outside (where you glue the rubber).  This is not a legal blade (you have to be able to see and feel the wood on the outside face where rubbers attach) but you would never know this if all you looked at was the Laws of Table Tennis, where that requirement is never mentioned.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2015 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I guess baal is too modest to sticky his own topics but we all agree it should be don't we? Clap
Second - was just about to suggest it!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2015 at 1:03pm
Your wish is my command.

Guys like wturber and zeio really know this stuff in detail.  For the rest of us it is good to know where to look.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2015 at 3:17pm
+1 on sticky !!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2015 at 5:18pm
Many world class players don't care about the rules. Who must care for the rules then?
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2015 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

Many world class players don't care about the rules. Who must care for the rules then?

Still an answer is missed...
LOL
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2015 at 8:08pm
I didn't post this for top players.  Some people want to know the rules as written.  They are not all in one place.  Now you can find them.  What you do with them is up to you.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2015 at 10:12pm
A good post, thanks Baal! Thumbs Up

We'll need to keep it up to date though, as most of these documents change over time, especially the LARC which changes at least twice a year.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2015 at 11:12pm
Change over time and without warning sometimes.

Some of these are revised every year or every other year.

I think, though, that a lot of forum members did not know that some of these documents even existed and figured everything was in the Laws of Table Tennis.  But if you know these other rules and guidelines are out there somewhere, you can always find the latest versions with google.
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2016 at 3:10am
IMO, this is useful to the Umpires as well as tournament Match Officials.

But the Coaches as well as players must know too. Eg. Legal Serve.

Edited by 729 FX - 02/22/2016 at 3:11am
Bfly Senkoh 1-ply-DHS Hurricane 3 Neo/Yinhe Pluto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic