Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

47mm big ball, is it a trend ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rosecitytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 47mm big ball, is it a trend ?
    Posted: 10/07/2016 at 8:46am
Saw DFWTT fall open started using 47mm BIG BALL for double, is it a trend,
it can definitely slow down the game, and make it more fun?
Any other club using 47mm (I assume it is orange, like the senior ball used in japan)
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 11:31am
If you have even played with a 44 mm ball you will realize that it would destroy the game except for people who have disabilities that make it impossible to play with a a 40 or 40+ ball. 

Slowing down the game does not make it more fun.  It turns it into a parlor game.  Might as well play darts. 
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 11:58am
we might as well buy much larger rackets and make the table a little larger to get into longer rallies...oh wait...we have tennis. 44mm balls were so slow I had time to run to the bathroom and return just in time to hit it back. Can't even imagine playing with a 47mm ball...is that for real?
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

If you have even played with a 44 mm ball you will realize that it would destroy the game except for people who have disabilities that make it impossible to play with a a 40 or 40+ ball. 

Slowing down the game does not make it more fun.  It turns it into a parlor game.  Might as well play darts. 

For the more sedate older players without training the bigger ball can make the game fun for them.  It's not the game we play, but who cares.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 12:16pm

For recreation ping pong, it is the trend.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 12:20pm
Do you know Joola's Big Elephant Ball in 55mm Dia.
You need a tennis racket sized blade to match it. Seems TT back to its original Tennis
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 1:46pm
In 2006 I played Butterfly 44mm.
After colleagues realized clearly their life is in risk, especially if they meet some drive with head, we stopped using it. Not sure what was the material, but balls were extremely hard.
Big pain all over the body.
I don't want to hear about bigger balls if the paddles are same as today.
If the blades are 5.0mm all wood and rubbers up to 1.5mm + higher net 2-3sm. then could be some some fun.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 2:06pm
I highly doubt they will make the ball any bigger. The 44mm balls are only used by senior citizens and novices (its highly popular in Japan) . They also use special rubbers like Largestorm, Large 44, etc. (I believe it is mandated that you must use pips out only) and special blades.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

For the more sedate older players without training the bigger ball can make the game fun for them.  It's not the game we play, but who cares.

Which is OBVIOUSLY why I stipulated it is good for players with disabilities -- which would include senior players with mobility, reaction-time and eyesight issues, for whom this ball makes it possible to play.

Angry
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

For recreation ping pong, it is the trend.

Not here, thankfully.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 9:06pm
It clearly specified 47mm "BIG" ball.  Here is the link to entry form, just out yesterday.

http://dfwtt.com/Tournament_Files/DFWTT16FallO-BBpp%20R3.pdf

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 10:13pm
(Baal)  Slowing down the game does not make it more fun.  It turns it into a parlor game.  Might as well play darts.  

So players who chop turn table tennis into a parlor game?  My my.  Could it be that the next thing the ITTF has up its sleeve is passing a rule to abolish underspin?

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 10:45pm
No Berndt. Players who chop make the game ineresting and it takes a high degree of skill to do it well. But this thread is about gigantic balls.
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 11:13pm
I've played with large balls back in 2008. Those were from dunlop and a pack of 6 had 3 different colors, yellow orange and blue. I don't know the size but they were significantly heavier and bigger than the 40mm balls that time. None of my friends liked them so after finishing two packs we decided not to buy more of them. I had mixed feelings about them, but mostly I liked them. They were particularly good for hitting from close to the table, looping was difficult.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2016 at 10:32pm
If someone throw in $, it will become a trend, in fact we tried at our club, it could be addictive.
If you don't believe, watch the Semi/final here, top prize is $350.
Just got back from DFW, here are all players around or above 2000, including National team Yahao Zhang, Tianming Xie, meng etc.
BTW, it is 47mm Seamless, made by XSF

Darker Speed OEM 10mm Jpen
FH:Beijing Swords
RPB:Tenergy 05 2.1
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 12:37am

It can't be too big a trend. I did a Google search, couldn't find them for sale.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 7:07am
it just came out in November 2016, I will try to see if I can get some more from manufacturer.
Darker Speed OEM 10mm Jpen
FH:Beijing Swords
RPB:Tenergy 05 2.1
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 9:22am
Looks interesting. Love to get my hands on some. If you find a source please let us know.
I think it would make great practice ball. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 2:47pm
Suggestion: all people who want to poop on our sport - please open your own forums for your new sport.
Please stop confusing and disturbing people from real issues we are facing in our Sport. Go somewhere else.
Thank you.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Suggestion: all people who want to poop on our sport - please open your own forums for your new sport.
Please stop confusing and disturbing people from real issues we are facing in our Sport. Go somewhere else.
Thank you.
I think this guy says it much better than I can 

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 6:44pm
Yes, it is a trend. Sooner or later we will end up there. It all started when they increased the size from 38 to 40 mm and companies realized they can make a fortune.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

we might as well buy much larger rackets and make the table a little larger to get into longer rallies...oh wait...we have tennis. 44mm balls were so slow I had time to run to the bathroom and return just in time to hit it back. Can't even imagine playing with a 47mm ball...is that for real?
47mm ball?  It will give us enough time to wash and dry our hands after the bathroom...more hygienic and I am sure ITTF will seriously take that into consideration.LOL
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2016 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by rosecitytt rosecitytt wrote:

If someone throw in $, it will become a trend, in fact we tried at our club, it could be addictive.
If you don't believe, watch the Semi/final here, top prize is $350.
Just got back from DFW, here are all players around or above 2000, including National team Yahao Zhang, Tianming Xie, meng etc.
BTW, it is 47mm Seamless, made by XSF

There was nothing about the rallies in this video that were in any way compelling.  The ball sinks so quickly that anything you gain from loss of speed and spin is lost by rapid sink.

I agree with those who say the sport has been dumbed down enough.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2016 at 7:32am
T3 Ball technical leaflet (of latest revision april 2016) now requires very hard labolatory tests for the balls get ITTF Approval.
   NEW.    (Second) stamp is now possible on the ball other than the brand / logo.   This second stamp only valid for a single event.       
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic