Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Westchester TTC 2019 July Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westchester TTC 2019 July Open
    Posted: 07/29/2019 at 10:27pm
Westchester July Open

A record 192 players, including six rated over 2600. All of Sunday's events were full. The total of prize money awarded at the Westchester Open since 2011 passed half a million dollars. The tournament had its first female champion — China's Juan Liu (rated 2617), who defeated Jiwei Xu (2701) (5,-7,7,7). 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129048503@N03/albums/72157709953581461/with/48401960672/

Open

F: Juan Liu def. Jiwei Xu (5,-7,7,7)

SF: Jiwei Xu def. Sharon Alguetti (8,-10,-10,6,8); Juan Liu def. Gal Alguetti (-3,6,7,9)

QF: Jiwei Xu def. Yutian Wang (8,11,6); Sharon Alguetti def. Makanjuola Kazeem (-11,10,8,8); Juan Liu def. Zhiwen He (-8,5,10,-8,7); Gal Alguetti def. Jayden Zhou (9,7,6)

Round of 16: Jiwei Xu def. Mishel Levinski (8,10,15); Yutian Wang def. Jian Li (-9,-8,9,9,8); Makanjuola Kazeem def. Kokou Fanny (-8,5,8,5); Sharon Alguetti def. Greg Bartz (6,11,9); Zhiwen He def. Cheng Wang (7,3,3); Juan Liu def. Eliel Sosis (6,-8,9,4); Jayden Zhou def. Bowen Chen (10,7,-12,-5,6); Gal Alguetti def. Jishan Liang (-8,-9,7,5,5)

Sponsored Links

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 11:30am
Will there be a video of the final on YT?
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 11:39am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Yes, they eventually show up here:

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Yes, they eventually show up here:

Xu didn't look all that happy to have participated in this historic final - probably managed to block the match to be posted on youtube LOL

Edited by tom - 07/30/2019 at 11:44am
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 11:57am
Can't be too happyUnhappy when you lost to a lower rated player and $2000.Dead
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 12:10pm
Waiting for the video of the final.
Hope they will post that video SOON.
kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 12:15pm
She also beat He Zhiwen in the QF. Really solid wins for any US player. Would love to see how she’d do against our men’s team. I’m guessing Kanak might be the only one strong enough to beat her.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 12:33pm
"I’m guessing Kanak might be the only one strong enough to beat her" -Embarrassed ouch
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

"I’m guessing Kanak might be the only one strong enough to beat her" -Embarrassed ouch

Not really an ouch.  She played NA Teams and she gave Ricardo Walther a good match.  If she were to beat Kanak in a match, it is no biggie,  top level players with her level of experience can do things and know tricks for one match.  It just shouldn't be forever.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 2:25pm
Westchester July open's final video was posted - but have problem to bring it up.
It says "This site can't be reached."

Edited by skip3119 - 07/30/2019 at 2:26pm
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Westchester July open's final video was posted - but have problem to bring it up.
Just watch it on YouTube.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 2:39pm

Works on YouTube...

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Works on YouTube...

============================
Thank you very much.
cftt-blades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cftt-blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

"I’m guessing Kanak might be the only one strong enough to beat her" -Embarrassed ouch

Not really an ouch.  She played NA Teams and she gave Ricardo Walther a good match.  If she were to beat Kanak in a match, it is no biggie,  top level players with her level of experience can do things and know tricks for one match.  It just shouldn't be forever.

Not sure if "tricks" has much to do with it in her case....9 years in the Chinese Super League, and she has quite a number of highly impressive wins against male players under her belt.  I think she's just an exceptional player.  Not only did she take a game off Walther who is a top 50 in the world player and 2800 USATT, she's also defeated Eugene Wang before...  She just made a 2700+ rated chinese provincial player look relatively average...had no problems with Jiwei's serves at all, kept him relatively off balance with her own serve.  She won so many easy points on her serve, and there were a lot of 5th ball mistakes on Jiwei's part where she got back his opening loop and then missed the corresponding 5th ball (maybe not expecting the initial attack to be blocked or countered)
Chris
---
Custom Blade made by me
Donic Bluestorm Z1
Donic Bluestorm Z2
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 4:30pm
Nothing historic or unusual about this match.

Gao Jun beat many men in open events. Juan winning is not a surprise.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Nothing historic or unusual about this match.

Gao Jun beat many men in open events. Juan winning is not a surprise.

With Gao the men could blame the pips. Liu Juan simply has the best serve, best receive, and best forehand in the country. And she apparently just resumed training in June after an 8-month break.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 4:52pm
"The tournament had its first female champion — China's Juan Liu (rated 2617), who defeated Jiwei Xu (2701) (5,-7,7,7). "  direct quote from the tournament website - first means historic
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by cftt-blades cftt-blades wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

"I’m guessing Kanak might be the only one strong enough to beat her" -Embarrassed ouch

Not sure if "tricks" has much to do with it in her case....9 years in the Chinese Super League, and she has quite a number of highly impressive wins against male players under her belt.  I think she's just an exceptional player.  Not only did she take a game off Walther who is a top 50 in the world player and 2800 USATT, she's also defeated Eugene Wang before...  She just made a 2700+ rated chinese provincial player look relatively average...had no problems with Jiwei's serves at all, kept him relatively off balance with her own serve.  She won so many easy points on her serve, and there were a lot of 5th ball mistakes on Jiwei's part where she got back his opening loop and then missed the corresponding 5th ball (maybe not expecting the initial attack to be blocked or countered)

By tricks, I mean things not related to ball quality but more related to reading the game.  She wouldn't be as devastating if she wasn't a lefty and a penholder. Her serve and third ball is strong but she doesn't do as well when the power is sufficiently high or the serve well returned and this is what none of her opponents could produce, more because they are playing her for the first time.   The guy she beat is very good but he is not a power player.  I would venture that if they played each other a few times,  some things would start to shift.
Cybershape Carbon
shaks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 9:07pm
That is all great that she took a game of Walter. But she did lose pretty easily to the Frenchie back in the day. I don't think she is better now than she was back then. He told me before playing her he thought he might lose but sneaky player that he is he found some weakness and just played a solid *control* game and beat her. So, Kanak honestly is the fav in my opinion. Also, looking at her record if Adar, Sharon and Li Bochao can beat her Kanak can as well. With all dur respect, just maybe you guys are reading too much into her chinese super league connection :)

Edited by shaks - 07/30/2019 at 9:12pm
~shaks
Usatt 2150

Arlo247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arlo247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2019 at 9:51pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by shaks shaks wrote:

That is all great that she took a game of Walter. But she did lose pretty easily to the Frenchie back in the day. I don't think she is better now than she was back then. He told me before playing her he thought he might lose but sneaky player that he is he found some weakness and just played a solid *control* game and beat her. So, Kanak honestly is the fav in my opinion. Also, looking at her record if Adar, Sharon and Li Bochao can beat her Kanak can as well. With all dur respect, just maybe you guys are reading too much into her chinese super league connection :)

The timing of the match matters.  She has gone through different playing periods. You do realize that she spent some time having children and coaching before returning to play.  You are looking at results from the earlier period when she returned.

Her game is not easy to get used to according to the people I have spoken to who have played her.  I have seen someone playing a very similar game to her but at a slightly lower level give Zhang Chao trouble. I am just trying to say that losing one match to her is not a big deal.  Even Lily played better against her after the first match.
Cybershape Carbon
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 12:22am
Anyone noticed how composed Juan Liu was against Gal A. The few matches I’ve seen her play were so calm and relaxed.

Would love to see her play against Kanak.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 10:21am
[QUOTE=DreiZ]Anyone noticed how composed Juan Liu was against Gal A. The few matches I’ve seen her play were so calm and relaxed.

Would love to see her play against Kanak.
[/QUOTE

Especially at 19:25, after service return error because of a wet ball, and was not considered a let.  Think He did it on purpose?  he only wiped his one hand before that point, and that was not his normal routine...

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 08/01/2019 at 10:30am
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 10:25am
"Anyone noticed how composed Juan Liu was against Gal A"- saw the watch and the let incident - don't know the guy (only saw his name a few times) - does he have a bad reputation for his temperment / etiquette ?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 10:45am

"Anyone noticed how composed Juan Liu was against Gal A"- saw the watch and the let incident - don't know the guy (only saw his name a few times) - does he have a bad reputation for his temperment / etiquette ?
My first time seeing him play.  Glad she beat the snot out of the snot nose brat.  I do recall seeing his brother, Sharon Alguetti, having an incident as well so apparently it runs in the family.
cftt-blades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cftt-blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 10:57am
I've met the brothers before, though have not talked to Gal specifically.  I have talked several times to Sharon and he could not have been nicer to me and even was willing to hit with me and play a game with me (I'm nowhere near his level, being roughly a 1650-1700 level player). 

Chris
---
Custom Blade made by me
Donic Bluestorm Z1
Donic Bluestorm Z2
purpletiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 11:03am

"The tournament had its first female champion — China's Juan Liu (rated 2617), who defeated Jiwei Xu (2701) (5,-7,7,7). "  direct quote from the tournament website - first means historic

I thought she was a US citizen? Why does it say China's? Shouldn't it be America's very own? 
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

My first time seeing him play.  Glad she beat the snot out of the snot nose brat.  I do recall seeing his brother, Sharon Alguetti, having an incident as well so apparently it runs in the family.
Had a brain freeze, should have realized he was Sharon's brother - their father did behave well in the videos I previously saw
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 11:18am

Had a brain freeze, should have realized he was Sharon's brother - their father did behave well in the videos I previously saw
Did or did not?  Did you check out the Sharon Alguetti vs. Marco Navas video on YouTube?
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 12:05pm

Did or did not?  Did you check out the Sharon Alguetti vs. Marco Navas video on YouTube?
did not behave well - my mistake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic