Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Westchester TTC 2019 September Open

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Arlo247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Arlo247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westchester TTC 2019 September Open
    Posted: 10/01/2019 at 10:29pm
Sponsored Links

Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 7:49pm
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

Westchester Table Tennis Center Sept 2019 Open Singles Final - Full Match - Yijun Feng vs Juan Liu - YouTube

final

Anyone knows why Juan Liu is not part of US Women's World Cup team? SHe seems to be doing REALLY well lately.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

Westchester Table Tennis Center Sept 2019 Open Singles Final - Full Match - Yijun Feng vs Juan Liu - YouTube

final

Anyone knows why Juan Liu is not part of US Women's World Cup team? SHe seems to be doing REALLY well lately.

For a similar inquiry some time ago, one of our fine posters specified what Liu Juan is and is not qualified for currently.  I do not have the details of her current status, however it is a reasonable surmise that she is not eligible.

Thanks,
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 9:44pm
Hmm, somehow I assumed that if she's eligible for Olympics (she is, right?), then World events are OK as well. I guess not.
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 10:46pm
She will be dark horse in US team for sure. Not sure how far she can go in world stage.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2019 at 5:35am

Hmm, somehow I assumed that if she's eligible for Olympics (she is, right?), then World events are OK as well. I guess not.

Totally different. Lots of players are eligible for Olympics and not for ITTF world events.
cftt-blades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cftt-blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2019 at 9:19am
Qualification system for the world cup: https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/02/MWC_WWC_QUAL_SYSTEM.pdf

Essentially....she didn't play the continental cup to decide the two players who would attend, because at that time she still wasn't officially notified she was eligible to represent the US at the Olympics and had basically "retired".

The Pan American qualifying tournament was in Feburary: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/5058/2019/pan-am-cup/

As a result of those results, Adriana Diaz and Mo Zhang qualified for the Women's world cup in 2019.

Chris
---
Custom Blade made by me
Donic Bluestorm Z1
Donic Bluestorm Z2
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by cftt-blades cftt-blades wrote:

Qualification system for the world cup: https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/02/MWC_WWC_QUAL_SYSTEM.pdf

Essentially....she didn't play the continental cup to decide the two players who would attend, because at that time she still wasn't officially notified she was eligible to represent the US at the Olympics and had basically "retired".

The Pan American qualifying tournament was in Feburary: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/5058/2019/pan-am-cup/

As a result of those results, Adriana Diaz and Mo Zhang qualified for the Women's world cup in 2019.

This isn't about qualifying for the World Cup or World Team Cup - Liu Juan isn't eligible in any case, since her waiting period (for ITTF world title events) won't end until October 2021. This is different from Olympic eligibility, which she does now possess.

Edited by amateur - 10/03/2019 at 12:46pm
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2019 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Originally posted by cftt-blades cftt-blades wrote:

This isn't about qualifying for the World Cup or World Team Cup - Liu Juan isn't eligible in any case, since her waiting period (for ITTF world title events) won't end until October 2021. This is different from Olympic eligibility, which she does now possess.

Yes, I was mostly wondering about World Team Cup - after USATT posted team selections for that one and she was not on it. Eligibility... 
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2019 at 1:07pm

Yes, I was mostly wondering about World Team Cup - after USATT posted team selections for that one and she was not on it. Eligibility... 

Right. Note that Kai Zhang was selected for the World Team Cup - he's now eligible for everything, since he was registered with ITTF at age 16 and only had a 5-year wait period. Liu Juan was registered in 2012 and became a US citizen in 2016 but needs to wait a couple more years for full eligibility.
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Right. Note that Kai Zhang was selected for the World Team Cup - he's now eligible for everything, since he was registered with ITTF at age 16 and only had a 5-year wait period. Liu Juan was registered in 2012 and became a US citizen in 2016 but needs to wait a couple more years for full eligibility.

i thought it was something like becoming a citizen before 18 or something like that
but for certain events after 18 you cant represent the country

Edited by Purett - 10/03/2019 at 1:22pm
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
cftt-blades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cftt-blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2019 at 1:22pm
Ahh I did not realize she didn't yet have ITTF world event eligibility.  My bad, thanks for the clarification :)

Purett: The wait times are different depending on your age I believe.  Take a look here: https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/04/2019_rc_0057_ALL.pdf

Edited by cftt-blades - 10/03/2019 at 1:24pm
Chris
---
Custom Blade made by me
Donic Bluestorm Z1
Donic Bluestorm Z2
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2019 at 1:32pm
When the ITTF first introduced these regulations, there was an absolute cut-off by age; if I remember correctly, it was 21 years, and no one who was older was allowed to switch associations at all. This applied to world title events only because IOC, ETTU and maybe others saw legal problems with such a rule and were more lenient, leading to divergent regulations for major tournaments.

In 2018 the ITTF revised its regulations and added a 9-year wait period for players registering after age 21. They also aim to have the same criteria for Olympics and world title events, but I'm not sure how exactly that's supposed to work. At that point there must have been some confusion about Liu Juan's eligibility even for the Olympics (perhaps suggesting that she'd have to wait 9 years there as well?). I don't have the full story here and may be wrong on the details. See the link above for the latest policy.

Edited by amateur - 10/03/2019 at 1:34pm
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2019 at 11:41am
Just checked Juan's rating after this tournament.... exactly 2700.  Congratulations Juan.  Amazing player.
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2019 at 12:05pm
For Westchester, in history,  before Juan Liu, women has never won open champion. Technically,  can she join US Open men's division?  Maybe she is not interested to participate since US open doesn't count olympic trial event. 
Ttunderthesun21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2019 at 10:38am
She's signed up for Joola Teams, will be interesting to see who she beats.  
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Technically,  can she join US Open men's division?

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic