FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Suggestions for cheaper rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for cheaper rubbers
    Posted: 11/15/2019 at 3:16am
In our club I have a need for cheap rubbers for two purposes: first, we maintain a stock of "loaner paddles" for the beginners and recreational players.  In the past, I've mostly recycled donated used rubbers (even Tenergy!) on these paddles, but I'm looking for something that maintains grip longer

The second need is that I sometimes put together cheap paddles for beginners looking to buy.  These are typically better than pre-made paddles but not as good as most of the stuff in your average Paddle Palace catalog.  These paddles are new (nothing used) but they must be cheap.

I've been looking through the rubbers at ttnpp.com, but I don't know enough to make good choices.  So I'm looking for advice.

Task 1 is to find rubbers that are super-cheap, maintain good grip, and are generally durable.  These will be for the loaner paddles.  Performance is not a concern.

Task 2 is to find rubbers for cheap paddles to sell.  Durability isn't quite as critical, but, again, performance isn't important as long as it's reasonable spin and control.

So what can people recommend?
Sponsored Links

YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 3:33am
My go-to for these purposes is Friendship 729 FX Super Soft.  Which isn't very soft, and also not very super, but it is reliable, produced with sufficiently constant quality, is spinny enough to enable all strokes, reasonably durable, widely available in multiple thicknesses (not just max), modestly priced (about €10/sheet).

Spinnier and speedier rubbers exist, and comparable rubbers even slightly less costly exist.  I've found none that were as available (Gambler), or only in max thickness (Yinhe/Galaxy), or with less than reliable quality (Dawei).
abdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 6:05am
I think all sponge & smooth rubbers & composite blades  should be banned & only different pips should be legal. 
Only good & athletic and most tactical players will then exist in table tennis like wood rackets in (lawn) tennis.  

All unathletic third & fifth ball fake players & pretenders will be exterminated 
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 8:11am
We have some colesttc pre made buster paddles for this purpose. If you just want decent cheap rubber dawei 2008 XP is 8 USD a sheet.
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 8:59am
*sigh*
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 1:11pm
Friendship 729 does not maintain grip for long. Ive used more than a few sheets of Friendship rubbers and the 729 last about a month. I am using Friendship Battle 2 on my BH (slightly more expensive than 729) and so far it has lasted a long time. About a year. Grip still good! Mainly you have to keep the rubbers clean!!

Another rubber I will mention is Evo 1 by Stiga. around $18 per sheet. It's an excellent rubber for beginners! I find it very controllable. Balls land on the table more often than with other rubbers. Lasts long as well. Not the spiniest or fastest, but it should be good for your purposes.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 11/15/2019 at 1:12pm
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 1:17pm
How cheap in your idea ?
Some items in my Amazon shop may suit your needs.
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 1:40pm
Hi benfb,

I like inexpensive that works and I like light too. There is nothing I know that is better than Palio AK47, an ESN rubber that is fast, not tacky and produces more than decent spin. Read about those, you will be interested at least in trying.

The red is the hardest at 47.5, the blue is around 45 and the yellow is in the low 40s. I am not sure about those figures but the yellow-blue-red is the right order from softer to harder in that series.
If they can be found between $15 and $25 on ebay and amazon, some stores on aliexpress propose it at much less, especially if you buy a few. 

That's just an example: 

What I like with those is the light weight; under 45 grams for the blue for example.

I can't think of anything better when light, cheap, fast and spiny are requirements.

Then there is the HK1997 that is supposed to be 48-50 degrees:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32443295535.html I never tried it though and I don't know the weight.

Good luck!

Edited by stiltt - 11/15/2019 at 1:43pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 2:02pm
First, my thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm interested in more ideas, or if anyone wants to say why one cheap choice is better than another.

For price, I'd be happiest with under $10 for our loaner paddles and under $15 for the paddles for sale.

Also, those links provided are helpful.  I mainly shop at ttnpp.com when getting Chinese stuff, so that would be my first place to search for any of these items.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 2:13pm
Among the cheapo rubbers on ttnpp, your best bet is the Palio cj8000. Yong used to sell them for $30 to John back in 2008/2009 and they were both happy about their repeated transactions (until the irritated customer(s) found out about the average price of the rubber in China) so they got to be decent at least.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Hi benfb,

I like inexpensive that works and I like light too. There is nothing I know that is better than Palio AK47, an ESN rubber that is fast, not tacky and produces more than decent spin. Read about those, you will be interested at least in trying.

The red is the hardest at 47.5, the blue is around 45 and the yellow is in the low 40s. I am not sure about those figures but the yellow-blue-red is the right order from softer to harder in that series.
If they can be found between $15 and $25 on ebay and amazon, some stores on aliexpress propose it at much less, especially if you buy a few. 

That's just an example: 

What I like with those is the light weight; under 45 grams for the blue for example.

I can't think of anything better when light, cheap, fast and spiny are requirements.

Then there is the HK1997 that is supposed to be 48-50 degrees:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32443295535.html I never tried it though and I don't know the weight.

Good luck!

Some corrections:
- AK47 is not a ESN rubber, but Chinese made copy of ESN rubbers. 
- blue is softest at 40 , then yellow at 42-44, then red at 47.

But they are good. HK1997 gold is also good. And tacky.
Then again, they are pretty fast. And Max sponge.
So don't give it to noobs. Cheap Chinese are always Max though.
Mercury 2 soft is slower but better control than AK47 and lasts forever provided you don't reglue the soft brittle sponge.
If you don't care about ittf approved, super 999t is good for learning to loop, good for fh at 45 deg. All these rubbers can be obtained for less than 10$.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 2:29pm
Yes, I should have written "ESN like rubber", thanks. and yes, the yellow is the medium hardness in the 3, thanks again.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 2:40pm
Interestingly, I'm not very worried about how fast the rubber is and I would actually prefer to buy max thickness.  I don't think fast rubbers make that much difference to beginners and recreational players.  They don't have enough technique to where it matters one way or the other.

What I do avoid are fast/stiff blades.  Beginners need blades with good feel.  But I don't always have that choice.  For our "loaner paddles", those are all donated paddles, so we can only offer whatever has been donated.  Actually, now that I think about it, most recreational players will come in, grab a random blade, and play about the same, without realizing if it's carbon, seven-ply, def-, or even penhold.LOL

For the paddles I've sold, I usually look for some cheap knock-off of a Stiga Clipper Classic.
vic View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 5:56pm
YinHe Mercury II from TTNPP. Good grip, ok speed, moderate tack which dissipates quickly, lasts a long time. Great introduction to proper tt rubbers.
$5......
too much TT is barely enough
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 7:49pm
Palio Hadou 40+
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Friendship 729 does not maintain grip for long. Ive used more than a few sheets of Friendship rubbers and the 729 last about a month. I am using Friendship Battle 2 on my BH (slightly more expensive than 729) and so far it has lasted a long time. About a year. Grip still good! Mainly you have to keep the rubbers clean!!

Another rubber I will mention is Evo 1 by Stiga. around $18 per sheet. It's an excellent rubber for beginners! I find it very controllable. Balls land on the table more often than with other rubbers. Lasts long as well. Not the spiniest or fastest, but it should be good for your purposes.

FdT

My guess you hit harder than beginner would. Also, Chinese rubbers want's frequent cleaning, stuck dust does not help gripping the ball :)
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by vic vic wrote:

YinHe Mercury II from TTNPP. Good grip, ok speed, moderate tack which dissipates quickly, lasts a long time. Great introduction to proper tt rubbers.
$5......

+1

Also, Kokutaku 868 in this package: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1608567012.html

My buddy put it on Fextra racket in Sept/Oct last year just for fun and plays at work. He is having a hard time to find an excuse to replace it. He says it just holds it's performance level pretty well. Every time he comes to the club we are making fun of it "is it still playing well?" LOL
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Among the cheapo rubbers on ttnpp, your best bet is the Palio cj8000. Yong used to sell them for $30 to John back in 2008/2009 and they were both happy about their repeated transactions (until the irritated customer(s) found out about the average price of the rubber in China) so they got to be decent at least.

+1 for CJ8000
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 10:27pm
You answered your own question in the first post. Start a program where club members donate their used rubbers for the loaner paddles. I had a stack of old rubbers, but i already donated them to the club in my apartment complex. 

Edited by ericd937 - 11/16/2019 at 1:21am
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

You answered your own question in the forst post. Start a program where club memebers donate their used rubbbers for the loaner paddles. I had a stack of old rubbers, but i already donated them to the club in my apartment complex. 
No, the point was to get away from using donated rubbers.  Donated paddle, fine; donated rubbers, not so good.  They lose their grip too much.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

FdT

Better than mark v? .mark v is not durable if evo  is longer lasting I will recomend
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 11:56pm
Have not tried Mark V. I find it expensive and I don't know how if it will perform to my liking.

FdT
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 1:19am
So I took the list of all the suggestions so far and looked them up on ttnpp (I don't do the other sites).  A bunch of suggestions I couldn't find.  I did find these:

There are *seven* versions listed of Palio cj8000, all $8.50/sheet.

The cheapest suggestion is Yinhe Mercury II, at $4/sheet.

Kokutaku 868 is $10/sheet. I've never heard of this brand?

Any more thoughts between these three? Or am I missing something?
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 7:07am
Well, price performance wise, mercury is unbeatable.

I actually play the medium version boosted on my BH and would prefer it to any other unboosted rubber.
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2019 at 1:36am
I don't think beginners are going to boost?

Just do the bulk 729 sheets...when they get better, if they want to get better...they will let you know🤗
*sigh*
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2019 at 1:48am
No boosting. I don't like boosting myself.

I just places on order. Yinhe Mercury II for the loaner paddles and then CJ8000 for beginner paddles we'll sell.  

We'll see how that goes and if it doesn't work out, then I'll try something else next time.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2019 at 7:44am
I hope you ordered soft version, better for beginners and no need to boost.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2019 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

Friendship 729 bulk...

blade...

As a former buyer who tried these 729 from TTNPP for exactly the purpose described, I can tell you these were some of the worst sheets of rubber I have purchased.

The most annoying thing was that they actually have a performance DROPOFF as stroke QUALITY increases.

Cole's Super XP 2008 or spending on 729 Super FX EL that passed quality control would be a better choice.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2019 at 3:15pm
For Task2 you can't find better options for then Palio Ak47 IMHO ...
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2019 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Simas Simas wrote:

For Task2 you can't find better options for then Palio Ak47 IMHO ...
I couldn't find it on ttnpp.com.  Do they carry it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic