Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Recommendation -- Tacky topsheet, Euro Sponge?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tmham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation -- Tacky topsheet, Euro Sponge?
    Posted: 11/27/2019 at 6:42pm
Hi all, was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for a rubber.

I have been using Tibhar MX-P (& Donic Bluefire M1) for a year or so but I struggle with the strong catapult effect as I like to open up with slow opening loop, if I trigger the sponge too much it is just gonna catapult off the table since I have a strong brush stroke on the open. 

Anyway, I reverted back to Milkyway mecury 2 (my beginner rubber), I find it to have have the best balance, mid-high throw, quite linear, decent high gear, good control on the brush. 

I was wondering if there is a similar mid-high end rubber that plays like milkyway mercury 2 -- chinese tacky topsheet, soft-springy sponge but relatively linear (not a whole lot of catapult).

Thanks in advance Smile

Sponsored Links

tmham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2019 at 6:51pm
PS -- I tried Hurricane Neo 3 (both chinese and nittaku versions), it doesn't fit me well enough, sponge is too dead for me Confused
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2019 at 7:43pm
Don't mean to criticize but it sounds like a technique problem. You might be misjudging the type and/or amount of incoming spin, generating less spin on your loops than you think, swinging too steeply upward with too open a paddle face and creating too high an arc, or your timing is off. It could also be a combination of any those factors.

I think you'll have better luck troubleshooting your stroke than trying to find a "just right" rubber to accommodate your stroke.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2019 at 7:54pm
it has to be Kokutaku 007 Pro. Check the review i posted here. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
tmham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 1:19am
Thanks for the recommendation, seems like it is not widely available yet. Do you think Sanwei's Target National would be a good alternative? They seem similar 

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2019 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by tmham tmham wrote:

PS -- I tried Hurricane Neo 3 (both chinese and nittaku versions), it doesn't fit me well enough, sponge is too dead for me Confused
Did you try the nittaku turbo or reg. Verson?

Try palio thors yet?
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2019 at 10:40pm
Palio HK1997 gold (palio's self produced version of Thor's) is right in between mercury and mx-p. Very fast even without boost, but tackiness gives it more control.

But honestly, it's hard to beat mercury on the control and spin parameters. I'd suggest boosting a medium or hard version depending on what speed you desire. More boost / harder equaling faster. So you can make it as fast as you want.
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

Palio HK1997 gold (palio's self produced version of Thor's) is right in between mercury and mx-p. Very fast even without boost, but tackiness gives it more control.

But honestly, it's hard to beat mercury on the control and spin parameters. I'd suggest boosting a medium or hard version depending on what speed you desire. More boost / harder equaling faster. So you can make it as fast as you want.
Yinhe Mercury II? i have heard some that it is not durable, and Yinhe Jupiter II is better choice compare to mercury. Palio has some good rubber on review: the way 40+, hadou, HK1997, .... i haven't played with them :(
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by M.Hoang M.Hoang wrote:

Yinhe Mercury II? i have heard some that it is not durable, and Yinhe Jupiter II is better choice compare to mercury. Palio has some good rubber on review: the way 40+, hadou, HK1997, .... i haven't played with them :(
I have heard somewhere the earth is flat. Confirm what you hear. Not exactly a cheap endeavour for earth, but only 5 $ for mercury. Isn't that beautiful. A boosted mercury outperforms most ESN rubbers.
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 9:21am
oh, seam like mercury is so great. May be i will try. And some cheap rubber from 729, palio, .. do you have any advide for me? Tks :D
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 9:33am
You can try palio AK47 or 729 bloom series. They are also cheap and good.
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 10:05am
tks very much <3
tmham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 12:36am
Thanks for the recommendation guys I appreciate it. 

Yes, I've been using Mercury 2 for a year as a beginner, I can confirm that durability is an issue -- it starts out great for the first couple of months (i play about 9-12 hours a week) and the performance drops sharply after that (grip and tackiness wears off). I rather pay more for a higher quality rubber with similar playing properties! 

I will try Palio Thors, and probably Yinhe's Jupiter II as well, its seems like an upgrade of Mercury 2 

Edited by tmham - 12/02/2019 at 12:37am
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 1:30am

Yes, I've been using Mercury 2 for a year as a beginner, I can confirm that durability is an issue -- it starts out great for the first couple of months (i play about 9-12 hours a week) and the performance drops sharply after that (grip and tackiness wears off). I rather pay more for a higher quality rubber with similar playing properties! 

I will try Palio Thors, and probably Yinhe's Jupiter II as well, its seems like an upgrade of Mercury 2 
Ok. I heard that durability of yinhe is not really high, its only medium, i have played with yinhe 9000e, mars 2 soft, earth 2 hard and recognize. I have to presever them very carefully, if not, topshet and sponge would be separated. Jupiter II- i havent played with it, but maybe i would try because it has so many good review, on a chanel youtube, i find it stand at number 2 in sticky chinese rubber. Lolll. Yinhe bigdipper - i also heard many good review. Beside yinhe, Palio and 729 are two brand that have good rubber in china, 729 - the durability ; palio - modern rubber. If i have money, i would try all of them. But not now... :(
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 7:56am

No rubber will last you more than 3 months these days. The more tuning, the better the rubber, but the faster it dies. I have tried dozens of rubbers and mercury boosted is better than 90% of them. I expect to throw away my rubbers after 2 months due to boosting. So be warned. You have entered ej territory.

M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 8:49am

No rubber will last you more than 3 months these days. The more tuning, the better the rubber, but the faster it dies. I have tried dozens of rubbers and mercury boosted is better than 90% of them. I expect to throw away my rubbers after 2 months due to boosting. So be warned. You have entered ej territory.

haha
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 9:09am
and which combo that you use now? 
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 12:07pm

Persson PP 
FH TG2 neo 39 deg
BH Mercury 2 37 deg
both heavily boosted
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 1:22pm

Persson PP 
FH TG2 neo 39 deg
BH Mercury 2 37 deg
both heavily boosted
oh, it 's a 7ply all wood blade, i have found your review on revspin. haha
tmham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 3:13pm

Persson PP 
FH TG2 neo 39 deg
BH Mercury 2 37 deg
both heavily boosted

Which booster would you recommend with Mercury 2?

Edited by tmham - 12/02/2019 at 3:14pm
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 8:08pm
Yes, you can find my reviews on revspin, though I only review stuff that I care enough to play for several sessions.

For all chinese rubbers I use haifu seamoon, but that's the only booster I know. I am still resisting the urge to test various boosters. But I will do so someday.
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 9:25pm

Yes, you can find my reviews on revspin, though I only review stuff that I care enough to play for several sessions.

For all chinese rubbers I use haifu seamoon, but that's the only booster I know. I am still resisting the urge to test various boosters. But I will do so someday.
Haha, finding good rubbers, blades, and booster is not easy :))
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2019 at 5:35pm

What booster? Falco?
nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2019 at 6:15pm
I really like Yasaka Shining Dragon. The cool thing is the tack doesn’t disappear if you take care of it. Super spinny serves.

alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2019 at 9:40am
Originally posted by nachalnik nachalnik wrote:

I really like Yasaka Shining Dragon. The cool thing is the tack doesn’t disappear if you take care of it. Super spinny serves.

If shining dragon is too fast you can try DHS skyline 3-60. If you want even slower, try Hurricane 3-50. 
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic