Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Play Opponent with little weakness and good reach
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Play Opponent with little weakness and good reach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GabrielTopspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Play Opponent with little weakness and good reach
    Posted: 12/01/2019 at 6:23am
Hello yesterday i played a young very tall opponent with extrem forehand grip and court coverage (30 years, i am 26)

his strong sides were:

@good short pendulum serves with little spin(no spin serve, and sometimes medium underspin) and a good reverse topspin serve as changeup, hard to push short (served mostly to the middle or backhand)

@very fast (long reach= good fh flip) and covers the corners very good
@fast footwork = good piviot that he often used
@very good reach/ court coverage ---- brings much more balls back as used
@solid recieve not so much pop ups, must returns were not very long (mostly half long)

weakness: not so strong backhand, you need to keep him short, but with his serve this can be a little troublesome

- what can i do ? on every side he was very solid, i had more power on the third ball but his consistence and good court coverage took my confidence and concentration, my chiquita and short game was very off on this day, and was mostly behind and must play with very high risk to get points,.... normaly i could overpower my opponent with my spinny serve and than could kill the third ball,

plan b: should used more spinny openings and better short game,...

maybe you could have some tipps :)
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 6:30am
How is his loop?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
GabrielTopspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 6:39am
his forehand loop is ok, he gets points with it,...
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 6:54am
Ok here's my experience. The more you attack blindly into players like this the more you will lose. Their weakness normally is a lack of speed, so jam their middle and don't give them that much time. Use easy strokes like pushes, and counters...

For serves I will simply try to serve heavy sidetopspin, either long to his BH or short to middle. Sidetopspin serves are hard to control with pushes, so most likely you will get a flip or a counter back, this is your opportunity to start jamming him. Once he gives you an easy ball, just kill it. Don't try to kill hard balls, just return them fast using a stable method. 

For receives I would jam him using long fast pushes, or soft flicks to start the jamming session. Remember not to use too much power because it will be used against you, the idea is to take the ball quickly with a stable method to jam him. 

Edited by blahness - 12/01/2019 at 6:54am
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 11:20am
Are you ranked higher than your opponent or he you?

Sounds a bit like you had an off day and your consistency was poor that day. 

Sometimes the ball does keep coming back and this can be a surprise if you aren't used to recovering for the next shots multi times. 

Edited by ghostzen - 12/02/2019 at 6:02am
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Ok here's my experience. The more you attack blindly into players like this the more you will lose. Their weakness normally is a lack of speed, so jam their middle and don't give them that much time. Use easy strokes like pushes, and counters...

For serves I will simply try to serve heavy sidetopspin, either long to his BH or short to middle. Sidetopspin serves are hard to control with pushes, so most likely you will get a flip or a counter back, this is your opportunity to start jamming him. Once he gives you an easy ball, just kill it. Don't try to kill hard balls, just return them fast using a stable method. 

For receives I would jam him using long fast pushes, or soft flicks to start the jamming session. Remember not to use too much power because it will be used against you, the idea is to take the ball quickly with a stable method to jam him. 

Great advice here. 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 3:57pm
He might be a better player than you
also watch how others play him
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2019 at 9:08am
Originally posted by GabrielTopspin GabrielTopspin wrote:

Hello yesterday i played a young very tall opponent with extrem forehand grip and court coverage (30 years, i am 26)

his strong sides were:

@good short pendulum serves with little spin(no spin serve, and sometimes medium underspin) and a good reverse topspin serve as changeup, hard to push short (served mostly to the middle or backhand)

@very fast (long reach= good fh flip) and covers the corners very good
@fast footwork = good piviot that he often used
@very good reach/ court coverage ---- brings much more balls back as used
@solid recieve not so much pop ups, must returns were not very long (mostly half long)

weakness: not so strong backhand, you need to keep him short, but with his serve this can be a little troublesome

- what can i do ? on every side he was very solid, i had more power on the third ball but his consistence and good court coverage took my confidence and concentration, my chiquita and short game was very off on this day, and was mostly behind and must play with very high risk to get points,.... normaly i could overpower my opponent with my spinny serve and than could kill the third ball,

plan b: should used more spinny openings and better short game,...

maybe you could have some tipps :)

hi gabriel
against tall players down the middle and then when they step aside to play, hit into the space.
also you seem to suggest he has a weaker bh. in this case play wide to the strong side and then next shot to backhand.
if you play first to bh usually this type of player can adapt and playstrong fh from bh corner
rereading it occurs to me that you are anxious to find a short game solution when this is his best area.
you need to be more adaptable with long return options and fast serves with change of direction up your sleeve
good luck

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 12/29/2019 at 9:21am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2019 at 12:18pm
I am pretty tall also.  I am susceptible to shots wide to the outside (especially to my FH) followed by attacks to the body (as mentioned in previous comment).  My BH is pretty decent, but if it wasn't that tactic would be even more effective.  That tactic works for me when I play other tall guys.  Of course if they are better than me they will win anyway.  It's kind of how the world works. 

You kind of have to know where to attack the middle to cause the most trouble.  That depends a bit on how they hold the paddle and how their footwork deals with the first wide shot, and you need to use peripheral vision to monitor how they are reacting to the wide shot.  Obviously if they are really quick it is harder.  But see my comment above on players who are just better.

Edited by Baal - 12/29/2019 at 12:21pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2019 at 12:23pm
One other thing, against tall guys you can't just serve short all the time.  The reach is too long.  You have to keep them guessing.  Everyone needs to develop some really really deep serves to go with the short ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic