Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tibhar MX-K 47.5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Tibhar MX-K 47.5
    Posted: 12/11/2019 at 12:26am
About the reviewer: 2 winged looper, estimated level 2100~2200.
Previous equipment (last 3 years): Hurricane 3 Neo, T64 with Double Day ZLC/ALC
Most recent equipment (last 6 months): D05, T64 with Double Day ZLC/ALC (Koto + Koto)

Review:
Weight cut to BTY head size: 48.7 grams (with 1 layer of DHS #15 glue)

I tried the MX-K 47.5 degree version, black rubber on the BH side of the ZLC/ALC blade. This blade's BH side is a bit slower than the FH side and is comparable to a TB Spirit. It is between Off- ~ Off.
I will be comparing this rubber to T64, R47 and D05, however I can provide comparisons to most modern rubbers if needed as I have tried many of them.

Speed:
This rubber is a bit slow for all out offensive players who just want to go bang-bang. I would rate the speed close to T05 FX on softer shots, which is 1 step slower than T64 and about the same speed as T05 on medium shots.
This is not a bad thing for all-round players, but for all out attacking players, this means taking the ball a little earlier and opening the face up a little more.

Grip:
The surface grip is quite good and I would rate it better than T64 in terms of overall grip and the ability to hold the ball. After practicing for about 2 hours with the rubber, I could easily adjust and control the height as well as depth of floating balls and pushes.
I did not pop up short no-spin services, which I sometimes do with T64, so this rubber has good control. It is not very bouncy and is very stable.

Blocking:
Blocking is automatic with this rubber. You do not have to close or open the angle too much depending on the ball. A neutral angle is enough to get decent blocks with good depth on the table.
The speed of the block was a bit less, but I am sure with adequate adjustment, this can be corrected.

FH play:
This is where I found the rubber a bit lacking. Although it was good for controlled opening loops and mid-distance play, I could not get enough speed out of the rubber to hit outright winners.
It feels that the rubber has a top limit to how much speed it can generate, unlike the D05/H3N I am used to. This is most probably an adjustment issue and players used to playing with softer rubbers like MX-P of R47 should not have this issue.
I somehow found it extremely easy to get good FH angles on the ball when playing close/mid-distance. This rubber doesn't let the ball slip like MX-P and I would say the overall grip/stability in gameplay better than R47.
It would be unfair to compare this to D05/H3N for FH play as they are top of the line rubbers today.

Overall:
I found this rubber to be extremely stable. It is very easy to open the ball stably and disregarding the spin to some extent. BH blocking and counter-play is very easy.
BH counter-topspin close to the table is another strength of the rubber and I think the short-column structure provides more stability in this regard.
I really enjoyed this rubber on the BH and this should suit close to the table, mid-distance allround and even offensive players on the BH.
On the FH, I found this rubber to be a bit slow and would prefer something a bit harder and faster.
I can say that this is an upgrade over Rakza 7 for BH (which is a solid BH rubber). People who have issues with MX-P stability on the BH will find this great as you can get more stability nd lesser errors even on fast contacts.
People who find R47 a bit direct for the BH will also like this. Overall a good rubber addition to Tibhar's lineup.

Improvements:
It would be great if the rubber's weight could be brought down by 2-3 grams. For the FH, I am worried the harder version will be too heavy.
It would also be great to see how this rubber design works with a more grippy topsheet (like Aurus Prime).

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 12/11/2019 at 12:31am
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 5:21am
i would agree it is a better backhand rubber. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 8:32am
I think it depends on your style and blade that you're using. I was using a controlled alc blade and found that the mxk 47.5 degrees excelled in the spin and speed department. It wasn't far off from the mxk-h. I found that the hard was easier to use on the backhand and actually created more spin for me on flicks. I was able to lift backspin easier and land shots with a dipping arc. The mxk for my forehand that was a no brainer. My serves got better and my drives were soo consistent. Due to my strong backhand the hard was my go to for backhand since I do alot of punch shots and blocking as well.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 10:55am
Originally posted by ProtossTT ProtossTT wrote:

I think it depends on your style and blade that you're using. I was using a controlled alc blade and found that the mxk 47.5 degrees excelled in the spin and speed department. It wasn't far off from the mxk-h. I found that the hard was easier to use on the backhand and actually created more spin for me on flicks. I was able to lift backspin easier and land shots with a dipping arc. The mxk for my forehand that was a no brainer. My serves got better and my drives were soo consistent. Due to my strong backhand the hard was my go to for backhand since I do alot of punch shots and blocking as well.

what were you using before MX-K?
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 10:57am
I haven't switched permanently to mxk/mxk-h yet but my usual setup is H3 neo blue sponge, tenergy 80, mxp/mxp hard, or something similar to those rubbers. 
ProtossTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProtossTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 10:59am
When I say my drives got more consistent 1. Being I used a slower blade but still having alc. 2. I don't have to worry much about humidity and moisture compared to using h3. 3. I can feel the ball slightly better due to the softer blade. So mainly it's more mental and feeling. Either way I landed shots on the table consistently. I wasn't trying to mislead others and say my drives got better tenfold :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic