Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New ready position

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New ready position
    Posted: 03/11/2020 at 6:15pm
I've recently switched to a new ready position. The idea is that your left leg is maybe an arms length away from the table, and then the right leg is not to the right but a few feet directly back from the left kinda like the badminton receive position. There's a few advantages to this I feel. Because your left leg is still close to the table it's quite easy to step in for short serves. But what it really excels is attacking long serves with the FH loop. So if the ball comes long to the BH you only need to shift your left leg to the left and then you'll be in perfect position to do a strong FH loop. If it comes long to your FH you won't be jammed because your right foot is far away from the table, simply step to the right with the right leg and then loop. 

I can also loop with the BH from this extreme left leg in front, right leg at the back position, but in general I try to loop FH since it's a stronger shot which often wins me the initiative directly. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2020 at 8:09pm
Assuming two right handed players.  What do you do if your opponent serves fh pendulum sidespin that goes off your bh sideline pretty close to the net?

That is often used by righthanded playing against lefthanded, but would also be my first tactic if I saw you standing sideways to receive.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2020 at 8:11pm
I've seen people stand like that for their ready position before. Off memory they often take a step to adjust their feet to be more like the traditional ready position as the opponent starts to serve. I guess what's important is that adjustment step that you take to get you into position to attack on both sides or to push.

I've also been playing around with it a little, but for me, it's more so getting lower, having more weight on my left or right foot, having my legs a little more apart. Nothing as drastic as that ready position haha.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2020 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Assuming two right handed players.  What do you do if your opponent serves fh pendulum sidespin that goes off your bh sideline pretty close to the net?

That is often used by righthanded playing against lefthanded, but would also be my first tactic if I saw you standing sideways to receive.

That serve is almost suicide against me (at my level of course), i would just step in with my right foot and execute a high quality chiquita against it. 

I think the weakness of this ready position is that you have to move a bit more to receive FH short serves (compared to if you had your right leg more in front) but I'll gladly trade that for the ease of punishing/attacking long serves. 

Edit: For FH short serves, I pretty much have to do an intermediate step with my right leg towards the middle of the table, then the left leg follows, and then only my right leg steps deep into the table. So 3 steps in total. I think this is 1 step more than what the traditional position requires, but since the short serves are normally slower I feel that's still enough time for me to do a reasonable decent FH receive with quite some variation.

Edited by blahness - 03/11/2020 at 8:49pm
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2020 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I've seen people stand like that for their ready position before. Off memory they often take a step to adjust their feet to be more like the traditional ready position as the opponent starts to serve. I guess what's important is that adjustment step that you take to get you into position to attack on both sides or to push.

I've also been playing around with it a little, but for me, it's more so getting lower, having more weight on my left or right foot, having my legs a little more apart. Nothing as drastic as that ready position haha.

The beauty of this position is that you can attack long serves on both sides with the FH loop easily (it takes only 1 step pretty much to get in position to loop for most long serves). With the traditional stance you run into trouble with people jamming your elbow with long serves, and it's a pain to pivot around the backhand corner (you pretty much need 3 steps which takes away precious time).   
-------
Viscaria

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2020 at 9:13am
Nice idea. I've seen this a few things like this over the years. Like anything there are pros and cons. If you can play your best with it at the level you play it works for you...

Agree those extra steps will limit the quality of your short returns over the period of a whole match unless you are very very good. You are young and have speed but you also create a little hole. The quality off long serves will be enhanced which is a great way to get a strong attack in straight away. My only worry is generally there aren't many people who serve long all the time. Most serves seem to be half long to create some indecision or short to limit the attacking options or long and fast.

Do you have any examples of videos showing this is a match. Be great to see.

Cheers

Nice post.

Edited by ghostzen - 03/12/2020 at 3:21pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Nice idea. I've seen this a few things like this over the years. Like anything there are pros and cons. If you can play your best with it at the level you play it works for you...

Agree those extra steps will limit the quality of your short returns over the period of a whole match unless you are very very good. You are young and have speed but you also create a little hole. The quality off long serves will be enhanced which is a great way to get a strong attack in straight away. My only worry is generally there aren't many people who serve long all the time. Most serves seem to be half long to create some indecision or short to limit the attacking options or long and fast.

Do you have any examples of videos showing this is a match. Be great to see.

Cheers

Nice post.

I feel like the FH short little weakness is not so bad, because I can still do stuff like soft flicks, sideswipes or heavy pushes even if I don't get to the ball in time to catch it on the rise (required for short pushes). I can still do short pushes when I get there in time, but even if I don't I still have plenty of options. 

BH and middle short is not so big of a problem because it's closer and I can get there fast. 

Yes it's an adaptation to the environment I play in where people love serving fast long serves to induce errors and then counter off your loop. I once counted percentages and I was losing more points against long serve patterns than I am against short serve patterns. I noticed that doing a heavy spin FH loop with reasonable speed often won me the point directly but my BH loop usually got countered and lost my the point :( 
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic