FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Training with balls on a stick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training with balls on a stick
    Posted: 03/22/2020 at 10:11am
You know, these things here:

Does anyone have any ideas or tips of how to get the most out of training with one of these? How useful do people think them? Slightly more useful than hitting a ball resting atop a smarties tube?
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 12:13pm
This is supposed to teach you brushing the ball but I suspect I'd be bored after a few minutes.

If I had not a Newgy 2050, I would do the Poor man's robot:

When we place the bucket all the way to the left, the back swing that grabs the ball with the non playing hand and the loading on the playing foot when dropping the ball on the table emulates pretty good the mechanics of the fh.

If I was in charge of training newbies, I would try to have 1/2 of them feeding that way and the other 1/2 swinging normally on the other side, one bucket each.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 12:53pm
Thanks for the link to that thread, this video of Leshxa training by themselves is surprisingly convincing actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S27hOi0Tww

As for the stick-ball-toy, I did buy one for about a tenner a while back and dug it out again yesterday but just couldn't do much with it, other than of course trying to improve my brushing of the ball.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 3:15pm
Yep, leshxa's the man! his "breaking 2000" book is such a table tennis milestone in the last decade.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Yep, leshxa's the man! his "breaking 2000" book is such a table tennis milestone in the last decade.

Oh right, didn't realise that's who that was. Yes, definitely a great book for that very niche market of adult improvers.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 5:46pm
I saw some people on Chinese forums just tying the ball to a string and then hitting it this way... 

I think shadow practice is much more useful in my opinion especially in reinforcing strokes. I'm just doing lots of footwork shadowing and BH shadowing at this point for exercise. Also doing pushups and planks with a weighted vest, rows with resistance bands and pull-ups in the nearby park. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

You know, these things here:

Does anyone have any ideas or tips of how to get the most out of training with one of these? How useful do people think them? Slightly more useful than hitting a ball resting atop a smarties tube?

I think this would be a better option

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7-t9BknCgA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
longrange View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 3:36pm
It's actually not bad at all if you have a few at hands. Check this:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic