Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How should i hold my shakehand grip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VTTCphilipp View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VTTCphilipp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How should i hold my shakehand grip
    Posted: 04/20/2020 at 4:22pm
Im wondering what shakehand grip is the best,because the pros seem to have their 3 fingers around the handle completely different. Here are 3 pics of my Fingers holding the shakehand grip. Which one is the best?(im a forehand dominant player)

IMG_20200420_224943_2020-04-20_16-51-00.jpg

IMG_20200420_225306.jpg

IMG_20200420_225421.jpg

Edited by VTTCphilipp - 04/20/2020 at 4:54pm
Sponsored Links

Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2020 at 6:07pm
Some pros dramatically shift their grip with every shot.  Some pros have relatively stable grips for each shot.  Almost every type of grip has pros and cons, so unless you are doing something insane like grabbing the top of the racket and holding the rubber to play with the handle pointing straight up in the air, find out what you like the best and do that. 

Karakasevic, Mizutani, Zhang Jike and Bojan Tokic all hold their rackets in a very different manner.  They are all pretty good players.  From experience I used to hold the racket like Jorgen Persson and when I went to China to train they insisted I change my grip.  Guess what? After training there for about two years I played worse.  Find what works for you. 
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2020 at 6:23pm
Lightspin is 100% correct. There are:
Low grips
High grips
Neutral grips
Grips shifted towards FH or BH
People who shift grips during the point (see Timo Boll)
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2020 at 7:20pm
I assume you are right handed.

What I recommend in your situation is finding your own grip in function of your comfort. No matter what theory (if any) tells you, your grip will slide towards the one with which you are more comfortable. To find it, get in ready position and have your handle very loose in your hand and shake your hand up and down while rotating your wrist left and right with the handle moving in your hand, keep doing this while slightly increasing the grip tightness until the handle sits ideally in your hand, keeping the thumb on the (generally squared) top of the handle. That's the neutral grip. Rotating the handle a bit anti clockwise gives a FH oriented grip (great for looping v. topspin for example); rotating it clockwise gives a BH oriented grip (great for the chiquita and over the table bh topspin shots for example); the switch between the 2 is easy but it's always best not to mess with that say the coaches...

Good luck with your grip!

Edited by stiltt - 04/20/2020 at 7:22pm
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2020 at 10:30am
Shallow or tight grip? I went with tight grip but many (both pros and club players) prefer shallow. My suggestion is start with the middle position, and do not do anything if you find yourself in one of the extremes, as there is nothing wrong with it.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
Creek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2020 at 1:25pm
just use the kind of grip that feels most comfortable and you‘re feeling the most secure when playing the ball...
There is no right and wrong. The only advise most trainers will give you is to have some sort of a neutral grip, since this will make transition from FH to BH faster. Anyway there are also examples like Timo Boll who has extreme FH and BH grips. But those examples are very rare
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic