Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alex Li (AlexTT) vs Thor J Truelson (USA), 2010 US
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alex Li (AlexTT) vs Thor J Truelson (USA), 2010 US

Search for table tennis videos

Alex Li (AlexTT) vs Thor J Truelson (USA), Men's Singles O-40 QF, 2010 US Open

Event: ITTF World Tour - 2010 US Open
Date: 2010-03-02 - 2010-03-07
Round: Men's Singles O-40 QF
Players: Alex Li (AlexTT), Thor J Truelson (USA)
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alex Li (AlexTT) vs Thor J Truelson (USA), 2010 US
    Posted: 04/28/2020 at 6:38pm
Wow. Thor played a match with no audible F bombs. I didn't think that was even possible! 
Last time played Thor before the lock down there were at least 6-8 F bombs while beating him. LOL
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2020 at 11:16pm
I met Thor in Korea not so long after this vid I think.

Sounds like Thor keeps it real.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2020 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Wow. Thor played a match with no audible F bombs. I didn't think that was even possible! 
Last time played Thor before the lock down there were at least 6-8 F bombs while beating him. LOL

Vince,

When you defeated me in a Sac tourney a couple years back, did the vid tape catch me 6-8 times a point with some compliments to you?
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2020 at 12:21am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Vince,

When you defeated me in a Sac tourney a couple years back, did the vid tape catch me 6-8 times a point with some compliments to you?
LOL. Was our match on video? I remember some comments of you pumping your self up during the match after some good shots. Other than I just remember being able to pull out the match in game 5. I can't believe that match is almost from 2 years ago.

Thor would fly to Seattle quite often to play at the club. After his first outburst (which is always at himself not the opponent) I would point to all the kids to him saying he can't use those type of words. It was quite amusing listening to him come up with alternate choices of words. He's a good guy. 

Edited by Vince64 - 04/29/2020 at 12:23am
ustabletennisresults.com
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2020 at 6:53pm
I was too scare-die-cat to step into the ball on your serve with confidence and I paid for it. That, and you were better I believe were two big reasons you won.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2020 at 11:51pm
Thor raised a boy who became a man who broke 2100 with a very fluid euro style on both wings, you know, that slow/fast commitment. Studies took over as it is the norm in the USA. His son carries table tennis as a tool that was given by his dad for the rest of their life, I salute them for what the did together whatever that was because the son delivered an expert level. 
I failed interesting my 2 daughters into tt, they wanted to keep the dad when the coach wanted to take over so they both fired the coach. 
Thor is having a cool table tennis life; and maybe the best is yet to come, I wonder what the grand kids will do Clap.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2020 at 4:36pm
[QUOTE=Vince64]Wow. Thor played a match with no audible F bombs. I didn't think that was even possible! 
[/QUOT

is he still playing with short pips? last time I saw him losing a match  he destroyed a rubbber a threw away his blade 
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2020 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

[QUOTE=Vince64]Wow. Thor played a match with no audible F bombs. I didn't think that was even possible! 
[/QUOT

is he still playing with short pips? last time I saw him losing a match  he destroyed a rubbber a threw away his blade 
He was using inverted on both sides this match. Previous time we played he was using his SP on his BH.
ustabletennisresults.com
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2020 at 1:46pm
Pretty sure that Thor is still using SP on backhand in this match.  That SP backhand gets him a lot of points up to a certain level, and then I think it becomes a liability against better players.  I've seen him try out inverted on backhand too, but I've never seen the experiment last too long (Yes, and sometimes the result was him ripping the rubber off the bat immediately after a loss Smile ).

I've played Thor back in 38mm ball days when I think he was playing at his best level (he was about 2300 at one point).  Back then it seemed his FH loop was a bigger part of his game.  It was a pretty powerful force to try to control way back when.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2020 at 5:40am
I wish i could meet Alex Li and play against him. He sparked my interest back in tt almost 17 yrs ago by putting up this site. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
alexli View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alexli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

I wish i could meet Alex Li and play against him. He sparked my interest back in tt almost 17 yrs ago by putting up this site. 

Yes, your coming back in tt values a lot to the your students and our forum. I missed meeting you last time when I visited Philippines a few years back, and also missed meeting Haggisv in Australia one year ago when I was there. I hope I can play with our mods and members around the world in my future travelsTongue
Table Tennis Super Forum - MyTableTennis.NET

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2020 at 5:03pm
POUND the Damn LIKE BUTTON on Alexli's post above or my Chihuahua is gunna get rough with your tootsie toes if you be wearing Birkenstocks.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 2:55am
Seeing Thor’s name brings back memories. I can say I beat him in the finals at the Nationals a long, long time ago. 😅
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 8:46am
QF in an open and they umpire themselves ?
The Older I get, The better I was.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 9:11am
What an epic name lmao....
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
alexli View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

QF in an open and they umpire themselves ?

It is in Over-40 category. 
Table Tennis Super Forum - MyTableTennis.NET

TViking View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 2:11pm
OMG!  What a cool video and what nice, gracious comments.  : )

I remember this match well.  Alex beat Michael Hyatt in the round of 16.  Hyatt beat the crap out of me earlier in the day, so I was excited to see someone other than him walk up for the match.  

It was a pretty tight match.  It could have went either way.  My backhand was humming along pretty well, but he hit some really hard forehands.  I remember before Alex served the last point that I told myself I would loop that serve.  I played pretty passively against his serve for the whole match and he hadn't felt enough of my loops to really have a good blocking feel, I figured.  It worked, and he blocked long.

And yes, I did play with pips here.  801 pips, with a really thick and very soft sponge.  In 2015, my well-meaning buddy thought I should try smooth and play backhand topspin.  I had played with pips since 1986.  For all of the drawbacks pips has with the plastic ball (which are numerous), I never really had a good handle on how to play points as a smooth rubber player.  For the last 6 months I've been playing pips again and have just decided to accept my lot as a pips player.  I like winning matches more than just swatting balls.  Some adjustments were what I really needed.  Not a new style.

Anyways, I remember the 1550 final in 1984, as well, John.  Most people, not least of all Vince, wouldn't be shocked to learn that after losing I kicked the adjacent chair and said some good words.  I still have that silver medal... : )

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by TViking TViking wrote:

I remember this match well.  Alex beat Michael Hyatt in the round of 16.  Hyatt beat the crap out of me earlier in the day, so I was excited to see someone other than him walk up for the match.  

It was a pretty tight match.  It could have went either way.  My backhand was humming along pretty well, but he hit some really hard forehands.  I remember before Alex served the last point that I told myself I would loop that serve.  I played pretty passively against his serve for the whole match and he hadn't felt enough of my loops to really have a good blocking feel, I figured.  It worked, and he blocked long.

And yes, I did play with pips here.  801 pips, with a really thick and very soft sponge.  In 2015, my well-meaning buddy thought I should try smooth and play backhand topspin.  I had played with pips since 1986.  For all of the drawbacks pips has with the plastic ball (which are numerous), I never really had a good handle on how to play points as a smooth rubber player.  For the last 6 months I've been playing pips again and have just decided to accept my lot as a pips player.  I like winning matches more than just swatting balls.  Some adjustments were what I really needed.  Not a new style.

Anyways, I remember the 1550 final in 1984, as well, John.  Most people, not least of all Vince, wouldn't be shocked to learn that after losing I kicked the adjacent chair and said some good words.  I still have that silver medal... : )

I saw that 1984 result while I was doing research on a TT history project I'm working on.
ustabletennisresults.com
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 5:26pm

I still have the match sheet from that year.  Win or lose, table tennis always brings back good memories. Perhaps we can do a rematch. LOL

TViking View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 5:57pm
You still have the slip?  Really??  Hoarder...  ; )

That was a great match we played.  It was 3 sets.  You won the first.  I won the second.  After that, I thought I sort of had you since you were kind of working me around with your anti and I had adjusted a little.  It wasn't to be though.  I think I got to 18 in the third.  Good match though.  I enjoyed playing it, regardless of the result.

But sure.  I'll take a revancha, if you're offering.  Alex would probably like a revancha, as well, at some point for this.

And Vince, you must really be beating the bushes for information to have stumbled upon such an obscure result.  I am doing a history project myself, just for fun.  I have also been meaning to call/text you and will do so shortly.  : )
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 6:05pm

You still have the slip?  Really??  Hoarder...  ; )

That was a great match we played.  It was 3 sets.  You won the first.  I won the second.  After that, I thought I sort of had you since you were kind of working me around with your anti and I had adjusted a little.  It wasn't to be though.  I think I got to 18 in the third.  Good match though.  I enjoyed playing it, regardless of the result.

But sure.  I'll take a revancha, if you're offering.  Alex would probably like a revancha, as well, at some point for this.

And Vince, you must really be beating the bushes for information to have stumbled upon such an obscure result.  I am doing a history project myself, just for fun.  I have also been meaning to call/text you and will do so shortly.  : )
Results from 1984 Nationals rated events. The photo isn't from 1984 though! LOL Oops guess it didn't work.

Edited by Vince64 - 08/02/2020 at 6:06pm
ustabletennisresults.com
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 6:06pm
Good memories for me because that was the year I won the 1550 and the 1650. Big smile

I have the photo from the award stand. LOL

Edited by jt99sf - 08/02/2020 at 6:13pm

TViking View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 6:17pm
I thought a guy named Evans won 1650 and you got 2nd.  Did I get that wrong?

Evans kicked my butt in the 1650.  I couldn't return his serve.  He was a short, ripped guy, with a nice tomahawk serve and spinny loop.  Anyways, I had to play Evans then in the 1550 semi and somehow managed to control his serve and won 2-0.  I got lucky.

Then I ran up against you... Ouch
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 6:22pm

Evans kicked my butt in the 1650.  I couldn't return his serve.  He was a short, ripped guy, with a nice tomahawk serve and spinny loop.  Anyways, I had to play Evans then in the 1550 semi and somehow managed to control his serve and won 2-0.  I got lucky.

I managed to win 2 events. But the details are a little blurry, must be getting old. Big smile

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I managed to win 2 events. But the details are a little blurry, must be getting old. Big smile
Lets try it again. I tried to clean up most of the error errors

Thor Truekon { having aged alitile) Photo by Mal. Andersna 
Ratings Results L'-2250's: Due Liu over Bozorazadeh, -13, 10, 19, then over Roberto B_ 14, -10, 16_ U-2150's: Erwin Horn over Todd Petersen, 22, 21_ U-19501 s: Nanotam over Mark Wedret, -14, 17, 21. U- 1830's: John Schneider over Chris Fullbright,9, 13_ Semi's: Schneideroirrer Tom 1.y.1 iller, 16, - 7, 1 Ful!bright over Ardith Lonnon-14, 15,21_ U-1850 Women":s Singles: A Lonnon over Panesko, 9, 19_ U-1800 Doubles: Woodret/Ed Jaffe over Steve Mageff/Di Sane, 13, 19_ U-1750's: Ed Hogshead over Bob Cornett, 17, 19_ U-1650's: John Lam over Gerald Evans 13, 14_ U-1550. Lam over Ronald Thomas, 14, -18, 19, then over Thor Truelson, 14, 19. U-1450's: Freeman over Carol Plato, 18.2 after Carol had stopped Tai Nguyen, -17, 18, I 7_ U- 1250's: Nguyen over John Kane, - 6, 11, 19_ U- 1100's: Anthony Streutker, 10, 17, over Robert Sorenson who'd outlasted Feri, 15, -19, 19_ Hard Rubber: Byles over Boggan, -19, 18, 18, then over Bozorgiad, 19, 19, after Houshang had advanced over Barry Dattel, 12,22. 
ustabletennisresults.com
TViking View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 6:47pm
Huh.  That's the tournament.

But, I remember for sure that my match with John was 3 sets.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 7:21pm

I just looked at the results again and it (Don’t be kicking any random furniture at home now) shows just the two scores (I’m ducking now incase you’re throwing something now) Lol

Edited by Vince64 - 08/02/2020 at 7:22pm
ustabletennisresults.com
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 7:33pm

I just looked at the results again and it (Don’t be kicking any random furniture at home now) shows just the two scores (I’m ducking now incase you’re throwing something now) Lol

I only remember the last game, it was a nail biter. Embarrassed

TViking View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2020 at 8:02pm
No worries Vince.  I am calmly sitting and smiling.  The furniture is upright and undisturbed.  : )

I am thinking they may have flipped the scores for the semis and the finals.  That would sound about right in terms of what the scores of the games were.

The last set was very close.  I remember it being rather point-for-point.  Neither player was ever up by very much.  I remember not being nervous.  I typically got nervous, but I had already won a prize so there wasn't much to get nervous about.  Despite losing, it was match I enjoyed playing.  My loop was going well (for 1500-level play), but my own serve was neutralized by John's receive with his anti.  The booting of the chair at the end was largely just kabuki for my little cheering section (Tryg, Keri Herman, Scott Bakke).  If my mom was there, I wouldn't have done that.  But, mother was likely parked at a slot machine or a roulette game.

Fun times...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   
Search for table tennis videos

Alex Li (AlexTT) vs Thor J Truelson (USA), Men's Singles O-40 QF, 2010 US Open

Event: ITTF World Tour - 2010 US Open
Date: 2010-03-02 - 2010-03-07
Round: Men's Singles O-40 QF
Players: Alex Li (AlexTT), Thor J Truelson (USA)