Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Correct Grip - Fingers touching base of thumb?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Grip - Fingers touching base of thumb?
    Posted: 05/12/2020 at 9:05pm
Hi All, 

I've just noticed that with thicker handles, notably Straight or Anatomic, the fingertips of my ring and middle finger touch the base of the thumb only very lightly. To compensate and embrace the handle more securely, I tend to tighten my grip which causes quite a lot of strain. 

In order to hold the racket loosely, should the mid part of the handle be thinner, so that the ring and middle finger can touch the base of thumb more securely? Is that recommended? Or the opposite - the handle should be thick enough so that the fingers never touch the base of thumb? 

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Hi All, 

I've just noticed that with thicker handles, notably Straight or Anatomic, the fingertips of my ring and middle finger touch the base of the thumb only very lightly. To compensate and embrace the handle more securely, I tend to tighten my grip which causes quite a lot of strain. 

In order to hold the racket loosely, should the mid part of the handle be thinner, so that the ring and middle finger can touch the base of thumb more securely? Is that recommended? Or the opposite - the handle should be thick enough so that the fingers never touch the base of thumb? 

Thanks a lot

Grip is an individual thing, I do find that I prefer gripping the racket in a way that reduces stress on the lower 3 fingers as for some reason, the muscles they attach to strain more in my elbow.   I make my handles flatter for that reason.  But like I said, everyone is different when it comes to grip.  I also use grip tape to add weight to the base and to create a small area where I can rest my lower 3 fingers and grip the blade without squeezing to prevent slipping.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: Rakza Z
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2020 at 5:19pm
There are many videos on youtube about grip. As Nextlevel suggest, it is kind of personal preference. But there are some fundamental points to it, like gripping the paddle not too tight and not too loose....
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2020 at 5:20pm
This is one of my favorite videos about grip:
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2020 at 7:41am
blank

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 05/14/2020 at 7:46am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2020 at 7:45am
your grip should be soft and loose when at readiness. worrying about keeping the fingers in certain positons just introduces harmful tenson and reduces flexibility and power.
bear in mind tt rackets are all very similar in size. On the other hand peoples hands can vary in size a lot
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2020 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Hi All, 

Thanks a lot

You are likely squeezing your racket too tightly.  Get a flatter handle and then add lots of grip tape to the bottom of the blade to pull the balance towards the handle.  This will reduce the amount of squeezing you need to do to make the blade comfortable.  If your racket is too head heavy, you may squeeze too hard with the lower three fingers to make it feel comfortable.  IF the racket as a whole is too heavy, you may be gripping it too tightly too - you may need a lighter rubber on one side to reduce the weight of the head or use thinner and lighter rubbers like I do.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: Rakza Z
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic