Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

9 week 9 rare Alse lens wood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 9 week 9 rare Alse lens wood
    Posted: 05/14/2020 at 8:48am
Dear Table Tennis Collectors!
During these quarantine days, I decided to show the most interesting pieces of my Alser lens collection.
Similar my old thread : http://mytabletennis.net/forum/my-stiga-collection-9-days-pictures_topic81979.html

But it is going to take 9 weeks instead of 9 days.
I will not spend time about common woods, like: defensive wood, allround wood, offensive woods.
Just post rarities, and quality blades.
Start from the less to the most interesting ones.
We will start with (one of) the youngest Alser wood, made in Tranas.
Can you find out which blade is it?
Please try to find out!
Sponsored Links

bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2020 at 8:18am

9. Offensive Classic

This, and Allround Classic is the youngest Alser which was made in Tranas, Sweden.
Released after the offensive wood, and Stiga Offensive line.
When I started collecting Alsers, it was one of my first blade. And a little surprisingly, that almost impossible to find one in perfect condition. Unfortunately it is not in perfect shape, but not bad.
If you had an unused one, let me know because I would buy it.
At next week comes a wood which has no imprint, but super rare.
Guess which one comes!

mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by bajusz79 bajusz79 wrote:

Dear Table Tennis Collectors!
During these quarantine days, I decided to show the most interesting pieces of my Alser lens collection.
Similar my old thread : http://mytabletennis.net/forum/my-stiga-collection-9-days-pictures_topic81979.html

But it is going to take 9 weeks instead of 9 days.
I will not spend time about common woods, like: defensive wood, allround wood, offensive woods.
Just post rarities, and quality blades.
Start from the less to the most interesting ones.
We will start with (one of) the youngest Alser wood, made in Tranas.
Can you find out which blade is it?
Please try to find out!

just saw your collection in you old thread. really nice collection Clap. wish i can get old stiga blades easier in Asia.
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2020 at 4:16am
Yes, I heard that not easy to find old Stigas in Asia. :(
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2020 at 3:31pm
8. Ultra wood

This is a very special wood. 1st thing is the name. I have no clue is this the real name of the wood, because it is not mentioned officially in any document. And there is no imprint on the neck of the handle (like all other lens Alser has).  Not proved that this is the real name of the wood. If anybody has any information about it, please share with us! Wink
It is an 5-ply, very fast and rare wood.
Next week comes a very young, common wood but this exact piece has a special feature which makes is super rare.

Edited by bajusz79 - 05/28/2020 at 3:59pm
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2020 at 3:59pm
A little speed up, because 9 weeks is too much :)
7. Allround Classic
This young wood (from Tranas) is not very rare although you can’t find it as often as an allround wood. But if my wood is a normal Allround Classic I would not include it into the list. The rarity of this wood showing up in the lens. If you see the picture, you can see that the Hans Alser lens is made with new style of font. I saw several Allround Classic Alser woods, but none of them has the new font type. To tell you the truth it is the only Alser I have seen with this new design lens.

If you have a picture from an Alser which has this kind of lens, please post it here, or drop me a mail!
Next week, comes an wood which is more allrounder than an allround wood :)

bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2020 at 2:13pm
6. Stiga Control
This wood arrived to the market in the middle of 80s, and not easy to find nowadays. As the names said, it was made for controlled allround play. I have never tried this Stiga Control Alser, but many people said it has superb control and fantastic feeling. The first 4 post was nothing special, but from next post comes the gems. The super rarities, so stay here Wink
The next post contains the most beautiful lens Alser ever made.

bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2020 at 8:25am
5. Offensive Evolution.
The most beautiful Alser ever made. This red lens and the red lines on the dark brown handle looks very nice. This wood is a little faster than the Offensive Classic, but slower than the Graphite wood.
Generally it is not a super expensive wood, but almost impossible to find one in the market (The Alser Tranas version, the newer 1 lens version or the Legend handle is feasible to find).
I only saw 2 pieces in my life.
In the next post comes one “impossible to find” Alser. Wink Stay here!
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 3:04pm
4. Graphite Wood
The successor of the famous super carbon blade. A 5 ply wood with 2 graphite layer which generates enormous speed (speed value is between Offensive Evolution and clipper wood). The gray / black handle looks very elegant. The brother of this wood is the Metal wood, but to tell you the truth I have never seen an Alser Metal wood. I only saw this piece of Alser Tranas Graphite wood, so it is a really, really rarity.  In the next posts comes the Top 3 Alser Gems, but take 2 weeks break because of holiday. Wink

Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 4:16pm
Woooow i love Graphite Wood, but ST handle.
Ben1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 5:29pm
I very much doubt that this wood is made in Tranas!! If it was made in Tranas, it would be in the lens on the other side of the handle. I am sure that it is not.
My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81836&title=feedback-for-ben1
Ben1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 5:44pm
I have now taken a closer look at the Alser lens of the Graphite wood. It looks like the lens has been replaced. I am sure that an Alser Graphite wood made in Tranas does not exist, because only Graphite woods Ulf Tickan Carlsson and Legend were produced in Tranas. Only these were shown in the corresponding catalogs, so the matter is clear.

Edited by Ben1 - 06/10/2020 at 5:45pm
My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81836&title=feedback-for-ben1
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2020 at 4:44am
Hi Ben,

Of course I cant close any possibilities. I bought this woid with "made in Tranas Sweden" lens. But Legend handle comes after Alser. But can you send me that catalog pictures?
I have never seen Alser which was "made in Sweden" and not "made in Tranas Sweden". And to tell you the truth I have never seen Alser graphite wood, only this on. So it could be helpful to clear the view.
Thanks for the pictures.
Peter
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2020 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Ben1 Ben1 wrote:

I have now taken a closer look at the Alser lens of the Graphite wood. It looks like the lens has been replaced. I am sure that an Alser Graphite wood made in Tranas does not exist, because only Graphite woods Ulf Tickan Carlsson and Legend were produced in Tranas. Only these were shown in the corresponding catalogs, so the matter is clear.

My Alser Grapthite wood has "made in Tranas Sweden" lens.
I did some investigation, and find this catalog with Graphite Wood:

Facts:
1. This catalog is from1989-90
2. In 89-90, all wood made in Tranas.
3. Alser Graphite Wood was mentioned here, so Tranas version must exist.

And some bonus:
4. Legend handle repleced Alser handle, not produced paralel.
5. Early Legend versions was made in Tranas.
6. So all Alser version must be produced earlier than Legend handle.
7. All Alser handle was made in Tranas.

Hope it helps!
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2020 at 10:17pm
I remember long time ago that one of my friend play with Stiga Graphite Wood.   Back then, I believe it's kind of carbon blade, but it did not feel like carbon.

Is it "carbon" blade?   I mean some kind of thin carbon, since the feeling is very much different than Butterfly Tamca 5000 carbon blade.

Edited by doraemon - 06/11/2020 at 10:18pm
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2020 at 4:15am
Hi,

Yes, it is a carbon blade. After Stiga stopped producing super carbon, Graphite Wood comes to the market, and it has a thin carbon layer under the outter surface. 
Ben1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2020 at 4:56am
Sorry, that's not true. Graphite woods have no carbon. Absolutely not.

On the subject of whether there are Alser models, yes or no, later.
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2020 at 8:50am
Than what is the second black layer?
Don't say it is not carbon, but graphite TongueSmileSmile

Ben1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2020 at 2:15pm
So far I have only seen Legend and Ulf Tickan Carlsson handles of Graphite woods made in Tranas in reality and in catalogs. You have posted a catalog picture showing a Graphite wood with an Alser handle. If the catalog pictures are really from 1989, I am wrong and I apologize for my claim! I am now unsure whether Stiga Aler models exist, actually I shouldn't have ruled it out. Still, it looks like the lens would have been replaced. In summary, the situation was an experience for me and i thank you for it!

The second layer is some substance called graphite, nut no carbon. Otherwise the layer would have been called carbon.
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2020 at 2:58pm
About the graphite wood: Graphite is a type of carbon in chemistry.
Of course can't gurantee that the lens is original, but the other side (Tranas) looks normal. So I am sure it is the original lens. If you need this full catalog, just drop me your e-mail address and I can send it to you. There was date inside.
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2020 at 4:43pm
3. Clipper wood

One of the most popular lens wood is the clipper wood, because of its enormous speed. And thanks to this speed, it is totally appropriate nowadays game.

This clipper contains serial number, and in a never used perfect condition. Very rare to find.

If you collect Alser or Johansson woods you are in a lucky situation, that there are 1 kind of clipper wood exist (with or without serial number). But if you collect Bengtssons, you must find all 4 different clippers if you want a full collection.

1. In the first year Bengtsson clipper comes out with a classical Bengtsson handle (rarest, G series)

2. In the second year they changed the handle to a dark super carbon handle. (H series)

3. The thumb cut handle

4.  9 ply red Clipper Wood

In the next post, comes the wood with the most beautiful box :)

bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2020 at 3:42pm
2. Super Carbon
The 1st super carbon blade comes to the market at 1979. (Serial number: E) And has 3 versions.
1. Dark brown handle with golden imprint + dark brown surface (with serial number)
2. Classical Alser handle with golden imprint + dark brown surface (without serial number)
3. Classical Alser handle with white imprint + black surface (without serial number)
It was the high end blade of the Stiga sortiment, so it comes with a velvet box which was super elegant. This blade was never used, perfect condition and has the original box.
Next is going to be the last and the most unique blade!!!!
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2020 at 8:00pm
Clap
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2020 at 5:34pm
1. stiga-pro wood

This is the rarest Alser lens wood in Europe.
I say in Europe, because in Asia it is not super rare.
Like a clipper wood in Europe, so there it is not impossible to find.
But in Europe and USA it is a heavy mission to obtain a nice one.
And if you find one, it is going to be expensive.
On the Japan market, a boxed Bengtsson pro wood was sold for more than 1000 EUR.

So you can imagine how much they ask for it in Europe.
In Japan they said: “the pro wood is the poor people’s clipper”.
A lot of people know wrong that this is the Japan version of the clipper wood, but this is not true. This wood has 5 ply, and the clipper has 7 ply.
The clipper and the pro wood was sold parallel in Asia.
Has a nice metal Yasaka tag on the handle, and JTTA print on the side of the handle.

Pro wood has a blue Ayous layer, and clipper has a red one.

My full Alser lens collection:

And finally some subjective opinion about collecting lens wood.
During my collection period I try to find out what determines the prices of the woods.
And of course the first thing is the condition of the woods.
If it has hair crack or edge hits, it is lowering the price.
And another important thing is the imprint.
For playing perspective it doesn’t matter if a wood has imprint or not.
But for collection purpose, for me it is important that the wood has the imprint.
And the market shows the same. 1 example. One Bengtsson clipper wood with serial number without imprint was sold for less than 300 EUR, but the same Bengtsson clipper with nice imprint sold for 600.
So it really determines the price. And be careful that the imprint must be original.
Some clipper woods owner try to sell their woods with home made imprints.
Home made means, that the imprint was not visible on the wood, and they write to the wood with a black alcoholic pen.
And it is not as precise as the original one, so you can recognise if you check the writings.

Edited by bajusz79 - 06/17/2020 at 5:43pm
SoCalJL View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalJL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2020 at 8:54pm
Hi, Can you send me a copy of the old Stiga catalogue? Just found one of these. Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic