Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straight and flare handele

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straight and flare handele
    Posted: 05/24/2020 at 4:51am
Preference
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Sponsored Links

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 5:34am
Preference as SmackDAT said and comfort I think is another factor. TT is very personal so there is no one size fits all in general.

I've heard it said that certain handle types allow this and that on strokes better. Never had much experience of it as have played with straight and flared handles over the years.

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 5:54am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Preference as SmackDAT said and comfort I think is another factor. TT is very personal so there is no one size fits all in general.

I've heard it said that certain handle types allow this and that on strokes better. Never had much experience of it as have played with straight and flared handles over the years.

Yeah I think handle shape is also dependent on hand size as well.
As someone with average hands who loves straight handles, I have a TB ALC but have shaved off a lot of the handle to make it smoother like a FL/conic handle :))
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 7:58am
some people say straight is easier to flip it you're using contrasting rubbers
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 10:05am
From my own experience, in general I can say:

- FL handle is better to brush the ball while ST is better to hit the ball.

But this is just my personal feeling, considering my handling and style of play. Don´t take it as a rule.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 12:36pm
as recently as 20 years ago, there was a prevailing belief that straight handles were frequently preferred by both players with dominant or versatile backhands, and also by defenders who twiddled.

the flared grip by then had gained prominence in forehand dominated loop play. 
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 12:41pm
Straight is very popular among the pros these days, more than even 5 years ago it seems. Maybe due to the game now requiring more balance between bh and fh and not really being able to play all out forehand like you could before the new ball.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 4:28pm
FH to BH and the BH to FH transition seem easier with a ST handle... I seem to prefer ST handles these days.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Shiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2020 at 2:19pm
Flared is mainly good for I guess people who prefer to use their forehand a lot and straight is good for people who tend to change grips. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2020 at 9:54pm
Having played both, I feel like ST is a bit looser in terms of the grip which allows for a bit more flexibility and deceptive shots especially in the short game, whereas flared feels a lot more secure of a grip which allows for more control and power in general.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2020 at 11:28pm
Reading through this post, I doubt in my decision in buying a ST handle allwood blade. I’ve been playing FL handles and generally like chinese blades as they suit my small hand contour. But I do twiddle the grip often for a better stroke. Recently purchased Violin ST regular size, so only time will tell how well I can adapt to this handle. Fingers crossed. 
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2020 at 6:22am
I've always preferred straight as a long pips twiddler, but my current blade has a flared handle. I found I adjusted pretty easily and haven't had issues twiddling. 
Grab my game-changing new book and to your game to the next level!
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2020 at 2:13pm
Handle shapes vary by manufacturer... I use Victas DEF blades and they don't have the best FL handles , way too thin, so I switched to ST and never looked back. My 10 y/o plays exclusively with Xiom blades (all FL) and they are awesome. 
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2020 at 9:13pm
I will be the first to mention you left out Anatomic (AN) handle type ! ? 
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 2:30am
Elliptical/conical all the way! http://ospblades.com/table-tennis-handle-types/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic