Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Paint options for an old Butterfly Nippon Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Paint options for an old Butterfly Nippon Table

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LetsPong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint options for an old Butterfly Nippon Table
    Posted: 05/30/2023 at 11:00pm
I have an old Butterfly Nippon table and the bounce and spin is noticeably different than the bounce and spin I experience at the local club’s Europa tables. Europa tables have smoother surface and Nippon is noticeably coarse in comparison, also feels slower. The table is in great condition otherwise and I’m thinking of painting it to smooth out the surface in order to get the same bounce and spin as I get on the Europa tables at the club. I emailed Butterfly USA to ask about the paint and they never responded. People generally suggest chalkboard paint but I highly suspect that’s what Nippon has and the newer Europa tables do not use the same chalkboard paint. 

Was wondering if anyone has painted their table and can give me an idea about what kind of paint I should buy, apart from the chalkboard paint. 

Thank you. 
Butterfly Petr Korbel
Nittaku Fastarc G-1 (BH & FH)
Sponsored Links

qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2023 at 1:44am
The surface of old tables get rough over time especially if they did not get cleaned regularly. A place I play at has some 20+ year old Butterfly Nippon tables that were donated when a club bought new ones. They are slow because the tops are now high friction.

I would do the following before trying to paint an old table:

1) Give the table a really good cleaning

2) Use very fine sandpaper to smooth the surface, ITTF approved tables have a friction spec, your old table is way over the friction spec because of age and dirt. Sanding will reduce the friction level. This might make it playable.

If sanding doesn't work, then I would try applying a clear coat.

No manufacturer uses "chalkboard paint", pro tables are usually made with layers of clear coat on top of the color paint.

I would experiment first with the clear coat on scrap wood. If the clear coat feels rough, then I would sand it to desired friction level.
LetsPong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2023 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

The surface of old tables get rough over time especially if they did not get cleaned regularly. A place I play at has some 20+ year old Butterfly Nippon tables that were donated when a club bought new ones. They are slow because the tops are now high friction.

I would do the following before trying to paint an old table:

1) Give the table a really good cleaning

2) Use very fine sandpaper to smooth the surface, ITTF approved tables have a friction spec, your old table is way over the friction spec because of age and dirt. Sanding will reduce the friction level. This might make it playable.

If sanding doesn't work, then I would try applying a clear coat.

No manufacturer uses "chalkboard paint", pro tables are usually made with layers of clear coat on top of the color paint.

I would experiment first with the clear coat on scrap wood. If the clear coat feels rough, then I would sand it to desired friction level.

Thank you! I tried sanding one quarter and it didn’t help much, surface is still pretty coarse, I think if I keep sanding I’ll go through the color coat. I’ll try clear coat next. Maybe some kind of self leveling clear coat. Will have to see if I can get some spray or need a brush/roller, will also sand a bit more before applying clear coat. 
Butterfly Petr Korbel
Nittaku Fastarc G-1 (BH & FH)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic