Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Chopper from Chinese Taipei

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Chopper from Chinese Taipei
    Posted: 08/20/2023 at 11:23am
Chen Chia-I, a modern defender from Chinese Taipei, playing her 1st WTT Youth Event of 2023 (2nd event of her career).
Chen takes the U17 Girls titles in WTT Youth Contender Asuncion 2023 without dropping a game.

Here we can witness a 55 minutes (short form to 20 mins) U19 Girls Final exciting match against seasoned international, and sister of super star - Bruna Takahashi, Brazilian junior champion, Giulia Takahashi.

Sponsored Links

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2023 at 12:14pm
I would say she is classic defender, not modern.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2023 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I would say she is classic defender, not modern.

Good question!
I can understand why you say that from that video.

Maybe it was her 2nd international (her first U19 Final).
She does train as a modern defender and can attack with both FH and BH rubbers.
She defiantly attacks way more in training and domestic matches, than what I've seen on WTT.

In another match up in Korea, she attacks way more than her proper classic defender opponent:

Maybe borderline modern, but more classic for now.
I will ask her about this question and also chat with her coach to see how she sees Chen Chia-I
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2023 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

I will ask her about this question and also chat with her coach to see how she sees Chen Chia-I

Can you ask please what equipment she using, blade and pips? I think its short pips but I might be wrong ..
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2023 at 1:09pm
Too defensive IMO and not enough disruptive for reaching something like the top 50-80...but I wish I could play like this :))
Players like Han Ying, Hashimoto, Bergström have to attack more and more...that's the only way at this level....Or there is Ojio whose defensive lateral pushes can be considered as offensive strokes.

Edited by kakapo - 08/21/2023 at 1:13pm
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2023 at 1:42am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2023 at 1:44am
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Too defensive IMO and not enough disruptive for reaching something like the top 50-80...but I wish I could play like this :))
Players like Han Ying, Hashimoto, Bergström have to attack more and more...that's the only way at this level....Or there is Ojio whose defensive lateral pushes can be considered as offensive strokes.

Yeah, she knows that.

Taiwan always produces good junior choppers, but many times it is due to the lack of offensive ability that they can't carry it through to the senior team/senior category.

This is something where Korea and Japan excels better.

But never the less, this is an art that I love to watch.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic