Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Greatest all time non-Chinese Pips out hitters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
abdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest all time non-Chinese Pips out hitters
    Posted: 11/14/2019 at 11:23pm
Such as from Europe, Japan, Korea, India, South America  etc 

I think Scott Boggan may be the best in USA (May be others) ?
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 1:53am
1. Kim Ki-Taek
2. Mitsuru Kohno
3. Kim Wan

Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 2:30am
Bob Gusikoff
Tony
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 5:20am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

1. Kim Ki-Taek
2. Mitsuru Kohno
3. Kim Wan

Hyun Jung-Hwa.
abdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 6:32am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

1. Kim Ki-Taek
2. Mitsuru Kohno
3. Kim Wan

That makes Kohno one of the best ever pips out players since he beat Guo Yuehua , a 2 time finalist & winner 2 other times, in 1977
I know Guo was injured in 1979 finals but what happened in 1977 , when Kohno beat Guo ?
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 10:19am
I think Kohno was probably the greatest non-Chinese pips-out player ever - made the final of Men's Singles in 1967, won it in 1977. Other great pips-out players not mentioned here include:

Mattia Karlsson of Sweden just made the final of Men's Singles at the last Worlds with pips on the forehand. 

Milan Orlowski of Czechoslovakia, 1974 European Men's Singles Champion, had short pips on backhand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Orlowski

Stellan Bengsston went to short pips on the backhand late in his career, got third in Men's Singles at the 1981 World Championships with it. 

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of others. I think some of the top Japanese players of the late 1950s/early 1960s might have used short pips. There have also been a lot of very good non-Chinese women with short pips. 

-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

I think Kohno was probably the greatest non-Chinese pips-out player ever - made the final of Men's Singles in 1967, won it in 1977. Other great pips-out players not mentioned here include:

Mattia Karlsson of Sweden just made the final of Men's Singles at the last Worlds with pips on the forehand. 

Milan Orlowski of Czechoslovakia, 1974 European Men's Singles Champion, had short pips on backhand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Orlowski

Stellan Bengsston went to short pips on the backhand late in his career, got third in Men's Singles at the 1981 World Championships with it. 

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of others. I think some of the top Japanese players of the late 1950s/early 1960s might have used short pips. There have also been a lot of very good non-Chinese women with short pips. 

-Larry Hodges

Hyun jungwha was 1993 world champion for korea
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic