Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Grip problem
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grip problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grip problem
    Posted: 03/02/2021 at 10:21pm
I have recently realized that I probably held the paddle the wrong way.

The textbook says that the paddle head should be on the same line as the forearm. However for my grip, the paddle head is way towards the outside of the forearm line. I tried to correct the problem even hooking the paddle inward, but it was really uncomfortable and I felt that my wrist was locked. After a while of forehand drive practice, my grit would go back to the old way of holding the paddle outward.

The problem of holding the paddle outward is that it can be unstable sometimes, and it can produce some unwanted sidespin. 

Has anyone experienced the same problem?  How did you correct it?
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2021 at 10:59pm
I think what you are describing is often called hitting with a laid back wrist.  I have this issue.  Like any strongly ingrained habit it will be difficult to change.  Not playing for several weeks and just shadow stroking with the proper wrist angle is one option.  Another would be to tape a flat piece of wood or plastic (like a ruler) to the back of the wrist and arm.  Tape below the wrist, but have piece extend up toward the knuckles so you cannot bend the wrist back.

If you can not break the habit, take advantage of what this grip does allow.  Work on a surprise down the line Fh and an inside out Fh  loop down the line that will curve away from the table.  Also realize that to hit cross court you probably need to either be in a more square stance and/or contact more in front of your body than standard technique would use.

If you ever get to the point where you can hit in both the laid back and neutral wrist positions you can be extremely deceptive with your placements.

Mark - Who is laid back and cool but only because he can not correct his wrist problem and his heater is not working so well.

Edited by mjamja - 03/02/2021 at 11:05pm
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2021 at 11:10pm
When I started with shakehand , I followed the textbook . One year ago, I changed to keep the head outward following the great J.O Waldner.  Feels much better with forehand receiving, forehand top spin (direction control especially),backhand attack... Lots of advantages just like mjamja mentioned.

Edited by Robin.w - 03/02/2021 at 11:18pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 5:51am
Mind over body control is a discipline. What I found was that there's nothing that some regular shadow stroking wouldn't fix. The brain is like a muscle, with practice the rewiring becomes easier. 

I'm of the opinion that the wrist shouldn't be in flexion or extension (scientific term) much except for receiving and other special strokes (fade/hook loops for eg), a neutral straight wrist (in line with the forearm)a  has the advantage of being in a biomechanically stronger position for load transfer and is quite important for powerloops. 

Edited by blahness - 03/03/2021 at 5:54am
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Tenergy 05
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 9:35am
I prefer to hold the paddle with the paddle head in line of the forearm. My practice partner is a lefty, so it is a problem if I hold it outward as the ball will sometimes come in big forehand angle. I did not realize my grip problem until I practice with a lefty regularly.

Anyway, I found the solution is to hold a little tighter with the thumb and index fingers. Especially the index finger can push the paddle inward. This grip will naturally form a pro-backhand grip, that is how ML holds his paddle.

Do you apply pressure on the dumb and index fingers all the time or just at the contact? 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 9:38am
trying the grip like this coach:

aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 10:17am
after watching the vid, would it be fair to say it's best to have a slight gap between index finger and bh rubber? or is it best to have the whole index finger touching the bh rubber at all times...

(I believe the former. not sure if my listening comprehension is up to par Embarrassed)
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 10:50am
Just notice the way I keep the head outward is not a grip problem, it is “wrist position “. In most instructions, the wrist should go a little downward when relaxed and ready. I prefer keeping mine outward a little .
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 11:12am
I have fixed the "outward" issue on my left hand by forcing my pinky to wrap half centimeter less around the handle, and my thumb to (barely) touch the rubber.
You also need to hit a fraction of second sooner; one hour with robot fixed this.

There were some things I miss about the old grip and if the rally last long
I sometimes find myself changing grip, but overall I am glad that I changed.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand: Stiga Allround WRB (71g)/Vega Europe max/Innova Ultra Light max (total 153g)
Fitness Friendship Fun
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

I prefer to hold the paddle with the paddle head in line of the forearm. My practice partner is a lefty, so it is a problem if I hold it outward as the ball will sometimes come in big forehand angle. I did not realize my grip problem until I practice with a lefty regularly.

Anyway, I found the solution is to hold a little tighter with the thumb and index fingers. Especially the index finger can push the paddle inward. This grip will naturally form a pro-backhand grip, that is how ML holds his paddle.

Do you apply pressure on the dumb and index fingers all the time or just at the contact? 

ML has a straight wrist most of the time too. For me the grip has to be loose until contact and then loosens again, otherwise many strokes wouldn't work.
-------
Hurricane Long 5

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 4:03pm
If you go through and look at some of the greatest shakehand players in history you can find quite a few varieties in grip.  Messing with your grip can quickly send you into the ninth circle of table tennis hell.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 8:02pm
I've consciously changed my grip a few times since I started playing, and was able to commit it into muscle memory. You just need to be disciplined. It's easier said than done, and probably harder the longer you've played for. At least for me, I just had to focus on it after every shot, and constantly correct myself until it was fixed. I don't think there is any other way, to be honest...

As for the grip, I think the wrist might not be relaxed enough in the ulnar deviation direction if I'm understanding the description correctly. Flexion and extension should be neutral (so in the middle), and pronation and supination should be so that gravity assists you having a relaxed ulnar deviation. If that makes sense. Maybe it doesn't haha.

Edited by mickd - 03/03/2021 at 8:04pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 11:09pm

Edited by blahness - 03/03/2021 at 11:13pm
-------
Hurricane Long 5

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic