Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List of hybrid rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List of hybrid rubbers
    Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:23am
Hybrid rubbers: sticky top rubber and elastic sponge.
This is probably the rubbers for amateurs who want something like DHS hurricane 3, but do not like boosting. 

For the 40+ ball, it appears that sticky rubbers are the choices to get more spin. Almost every manufacture produces some kinds of hybrid rubbers. 

I hope to create a list of all these rubbers. Please input the one that you think is the best and the reasons for it.  
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:24am
reserved
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:40am
I'll just rattle some off to get started (not all are super tacky, but they do combine the 2 versions to a degree):

victas 401
yasaka rising dragon
joola golden tango
tibhar mx-s
butterfly spin art 
stiga genesis 2

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:49am
Adding

Yinhe Big Dipper
Tibhar K-1, K-2

Used Big Dipper for few years.  Now trying K-2.  Seems a little faster but did not notice any big technique difference from Big Dipper.

Mark
Skynet View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Hybrid rubbers: sticky top rubber and elastic sponge.
This is probably the rubbers for amateurs who want something like DHS hurricane 3, but do not like boosting. 

For the 40+ ball, it appears that sticky rubbers are the choices to get more spin. Almost every manufacture produces some kinds of hybrid rubbers. 

I hope to create a list of all these rubbers. Please input the one that you think is the best and the reasons for it.  

On a side note: Hybrid does not necessarily / automatically mean tacky + fast / elastic / dynamic sponge, although I'm aware that for many people hybrid means exactly that and might respond to someone like me with "Yeah, well, you know what I mean...do not pretend you don't know what I'm talking about."
It's a bit like when someone would tell you that the sun is a planet and you respond that the sun is a star and the other person would respond to that with "Well, it's kinda round and it's somwhere in space so it's pretty much the same thing. You know what I mean..." Wink

As a matter of fact none of the rubbers mentioned so far is technically a hybrid. Hybrid means that the topsheet and the sponge are produced in different countries; i. e. tacky chinese topsheet on a german ESN sponge or japanese topsheet on an ESN sponge. There are actually not too many hybrids out there. Few years ago when MX-P was released, many people thought that the Evos (thanks to Tibhars marketing strategy) were hybrids (high quality jap topsheet on an ESN sponge) and only later people realized that the Evos are 100% ESN.
I believe Kokutaku has a few hybrids  in its portfolio ("Blütenkirsche 868 Japan" and "Tulpe 007 Japan" for example have chinese topsheet on a jap sponge).
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 4:37pm
To avoid semantical arguments, what would be the best term to describe a rubber that has a tacky topsheet and Euro style sponge, but is manufactured in one country? 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 5:05pm
Just the hybrid rubber that you like the most...
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 6:09pm
Hurricane 3-50 is a solid hybrid. As in it is a Chinese rubber you get best use out of short arm strokes. It can serve as a great transition rubber between eurojap and Chinese.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

Hurricane 3-50 is a solid hybrid. As in it is a Chinese rubber you get best use out of short arm strokes. It can serve as a great transition rubber between eurojap and Chinese.

I use it on my BH and agree that it's a really good rubber. Short game is really good because it is slow and spinny, opening loops are absolutely loaded with spin and you get huge amounts of control in general. It also forces you to have good hitting technique because you can't do half hearted strokes with it, all strokes have to have solid contact which forces you to improve your game. 
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: TinArc 5
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 12:23am
Perhaps The Nittakku Hurricane 3 Pro qualifies to be included here?
Chinese H3 top sheet by DHS, japanese blue sponge by Nittakku.

Performance wise not too different from DHS Hurricane 3 Nat Blu Sponge!

FdT
Skynet View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Sedis Sedis wrote:

To avoid semantical arguments, what would be the best term to describe a rubber that has a tacky topsheet and Euro style sponge, but is manufactured in one country? 

The "best" or easiest term would probably be hybrid-like. Just as you might wanna call a Stiga Mantra Tensor-like, but it is still not a Tensor.

There was a similar discussion on TTD a few months ago where people wanted to make a list of popular Tensors or something like that. So some people regularly named rubbers such as Mantra and Tenergy which are as per definition not Tensors, and in response namecalling other members for explaining the facts on what makes a Tensor like Donic Bluefire a Tensor (hint: it is about the topsheet) and why a Mantra is not a Tensor (only Tensor-like). In essence it is not (only) a semantical issue, it is more like a technological issue.

By the way: Hurricane 3-50 is also not a hybrid...Confused
Skynet View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Perhaps The Nittakku Hurricane 3 Pro qualifies to be included here?
Chinese H3 top sheet by DHS, japanese blue sponge by Nittakku.

Performance wise not too different from DHS Hurricane 3 Nat Blu Sponge!

FdT

Yup, that's a hybrid. Good example.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 1:34am
Haifu whale 2, Thibar Grips S, Thibar Grip-S Europe, Thibar Grip-S Europe Soft.
Rosewood V FL

Thibar EL-P MAX FH

Rozena MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 12:10pm
Got to be honest. I've never heard hard and fast rules about combining different countries sponge and rubbers for it to be hybrid. the only registered rubber I can thnk of is K-1 and K-2. 
Where did we get these rules from?
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

Got to be honest. I've never heard hard and fast rules about combining different countries sponge and rubbers for it to be hybrid. the only registered rubber I can thnk of is K-1 and K-2. 
Where did we get these rules from?

An excess of free time LOL
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 1:42pm
How about Sanwei target national?
VKMO | V>15 Extra | Curl P4
enevol View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enevol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 2:26pm
TSP 730?
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 3:23pm
The only hybrid I´ve tested was H3-50 Soft. And it was the worst rubber ever for me.
Used it in my FH and it was totally useless. It does not pressure the opponent like a Tenergy 05, and also does not have the trademark low bounce of traditional H3.
Maybe it could be more useful in BH, but I sold it after a few sessions.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

The only hybrid I´ve tested was H3-50 Soft. And it was the worst rubber ever for me.
Used it in my FH and it was totally useless. It does not pressure the opponent like a Tenergy 05, and also does not have the trademark low bounce of traditional H3.
Maybe it could be more useful in BH, but I sold it after a few sessions.

Haha it is a shitty FH rubber.... Much more useful in BH lol...
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: TinArc 5
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 5:58pm
Hurricane 3-50 is not hybrid
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 6:04pm
People who remember Butterfly Tackifire series will recognize this as an old idea.

With enough speed glue that stuff was not bad.

Edited by Baal - 11/20/2019 at 6:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic