Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Table tennis ball picker
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Table tennis ball picker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pacificspice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacificspice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table tennis ball picker
    Posted: 01/09/2020 at 1:41pm
Can somebody suggest a multiball ball picker that is not too expensive something like the mesh one?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 1:54pm
The iPong one is my favorite. I've tried cheap fishing nets (break too easily and the metal frame that the ball rolls over is too thick), the Butterfly one (too expensive and flimsy) and the Kinson one from TTNPP (not as sturdy as the iPong).

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 01/09/2020 at 1:57pm
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/PatricksPingPongPassion

USATT rating: 2k+
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 1:55pm
 Check Walmart for fishing nets...
*sigh*
Marios View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 3:01pm
I bought this item back in September and I am very satisfied with it. It works really well!

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 5:46pm
I haven't seen or used anything better than this. Maybe discontinued though....
FH: Barracuda
BH: Dignics 005
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 6:27pm
Is there anything better than mypingpongbuddy if the price is not an obstacle?

https://mypingpongbuddy.com/

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2020 at 6:32pm
That guy got creative; it's a mypingpongbuddy ripoff!

alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

Check Walmart for fishing nets...

+1

Nothing better. Cheap, picks up balls great, holds more than a gross of balls,  and Almost indestructible.

Some of the nets in the photo are over 5 years old. Eventually you will burn through the netting on the corners. I used to repair this with zip ties, but I stopped doing so as they still pick up balls fine without the repair.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 1:06pm
Ping Pong Buddy is the best in the market. PERIOD!
Too bad the shipping cost to Canada is so high! ($35...WTF!)

FdT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

Nothing better. Cheap, picks up balls great, holds more than a gross of balls,  and Almost indestructible.

We initially used these, but people kept on breaking them when using them in a shovel-like motion to scoop up balls laying up against walls. How do you prevent people from doing that? I got frustrated and got the aforementioned ones which, in contrast, have been holding up brilliantly.
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 3:53pm
Wow! Is your club in the Gorilla enclosure at the zoo? I think in over 5 years we have broken 3. 2 were from kids leaving one end on the floor and something under the other end, and then someone coming and stepping on it with their full body weight. The third was broken by a very large lummox type adult who was repeatedly ramming it full force into the leg of a table. That's pretty good for using 20 or so over 5 years. The one we are using is the Frabill one. I do sometimes have to wrap the telescoping mechanism with tape when it stops working. We don't need them to telescope anyway. 

The old iPong nets lasted us not more than 3 weeks. I have not used the new iPong net. It looks a lot like the Butterfly Amigo, which is one of my favorites, except that the butterfly one is little expensive. At one point we were buying the butterfly replacement heads and riveting them to the end of garden stakes. That worked well, but they would eventually break after a 6 months or so when the metal hoop fatigued and snapped. If the new IPong net is the same as the Butterfly for half the price, than that is a good deal for sure.
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 4:21pm

The net graveyard left to right  -

Frabill - cheap ($13), picks up balls great, holds more than a gross of balls,  and Almost indestructible. Does not scoop as easily as the Butterfly.

Stiga (old version) -  average, breaks after 6 months or so. Does not scoop as easily as the Butterfly.

Original iPong - cheap, but breaks after 2 or 3 weeks

Butterfly head on garden stake - cheap ($16), picks up really well, metal fatigues, and hoop breaks after 6 months or so. Takes some work to rivet the head to the stake.

Butterfly Amigo - works great, but $30. Metal fatigues and hoop breaks after 6 months or so. Telescoping mechanism will eventually fail, but you can repair by wrapping with tape.

Juic - very sturdy works great initially, but gets harder and harder to pick up ball as the corners wear and the lead edge is no long taut. No replacement heads available in the US last I checked.

My usage estimates are based on club use. You can certainly get much longer at home it you are careful.

Edited by alphapong - 01/10/2020 at 4:40pm
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 4:28pm

My custom, long reach, turbo charged Ping Pong Buddy on a fishing rod. Good for reaching under tables, but overall I prefer to use the Frabill.

Edited by alphapong - 01/10/2020 at 4:39pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

Wow! Is your club in the Gorilla enclosure at the zoo? 

The third was broken by a very large lummox type adult who was repeatedly ramming it full force into the leg of a table.

Sometimes it feels like it. And, yes, the "ramming full force" is what I call "shovel-like motion". I got tired of yelling at people. This is the one that has been holding up remarkably well, somehow discouraging people from ramming it into the wall: https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=ipong-tele-pickup-net 

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 7:20pm
With this collector one can pick up the balls really fast and then use it as a bucket for  feeding multiball or practice serve. We have it in our club and use it on daily basis for more than 10 years . 
FH: Barracuda
BH: Dignics 005
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 7:53pm
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2020 at 8:28pm
Hi,

Here is a tip on the Butterfly Amigo.  Do not extend the handle to full length.  If you do, the joint is only supported by plastic.  Extend the handle with a few inches left to support the joint with metal.  It never breaks.

Secondly, when the netting begins to come loose from the frame, use sewing thread and re-tie the netting to the frame.  You can keep the head viable for a long time.  The sewing thread does not interfere with the scooping up of the balls, as does other, thicker materials.

With the above precautions and procedures, the Butterfly Amigo is the best I've found.

Thanks.
Optimal table tennis body fat percentages:
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2020 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Is there anything better than mypingpongbuddy if the price is not an obstacle?

https://mypingpongbuddy.com/

I really wanted to buy this -  [i love how he's repurposed badminton rackets], but shipping is $60USD alone to NZ... so $105 USD is too steep. That's more than many professional tier 1 Yonex rackets cost...
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 11:45am
There are many options for this kind of device on Aliexpress.  The most "Buddy-like" is about £24 shipped to the UK.  But many cheaper.  I made one myself with a wire basket and a pole, but would now just get the £10 version from here.  http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200119083950&SearchText=ping+pong+ball+picker
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 12:33pm
$25 USD for a very useful picker is a good price point for an already-made picker. If one had the will, one could build something like this for less money, but $25 USD manufactured, delivered, and ready to go with quick assembly is worth it in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Telescoping-Tennis-Pickup-Accessory/dp/B07FLSQNLM/

In Korea, nearly every club makes their own from a sturdy plastic (old milk) container with string on bottom and a old broom stick/zip ties.

Edited by BH-Man - 01/19/2020 at 12:34pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Tobi0613 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobi0613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2020 at 3:15pm
Wow,

this topic reminds me of my early days playing. I was always looking for a cool method to pick up the balls. In the end we took the usual 50 millimeter pp rainwater pipes you can stick into each other and ducktaped some foam into to the bigger end. It works perfectly since many years. Each pipe cost us no more than 3€. In some clubs we saw the same  pipes but they drilled 4 holes close to the bottom and put 2 pieces of elastic band in.
In addition we have these blue donic pickup buckets. They didnt work well with the celloloid balls but now in the 40+ era they work great too.
Also in the last 2 or 3 years i found so many of this plastic fruit/walnut/golfball pickers. I think they could do the job pretty well too but they are pretty expensive here.

kind regards

Toby
pacificspice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacificspice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2020 at 2:53pm
I ended up getting the frabill from walmart for $13 bucks. As alphapong said this doesn't scoop that well unless you are up against a wall. For my basement practice this works well since I have walls around me. I have used butterfly amigo at the TT academy I go to and it scoops the balls up better than frabill but its slightly expensive.

Edited by pacificspice - 01/24/2020 at 2:55pm
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2020 at 1:35pm
I will give you a tip. Depending on the manufacture date, the nets are not always symmetric. Check where the string connects to the rigid part. For the earlier manufactured ones, if the logo faces up they scoop better. After a little time you will develop the ability to pick the balls up in the open as well. You just need to accelerate under the ball.

Edited by alphapong - 01/25/2020 at 2:12pm
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2020 at 8:19pm

some of my weapons of use
I would beat most people at pickup with the $2. net

Ulmo Duality,Joola Tango red max ,Dr N black aggressor
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
sago View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2020 at 2:09am
I use a pvc pipe with soft tape on one end.Simply put end over ball and you get as many balls in the pipe depending on thew length of pipe.Simple to make and almost indestructible

sago
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic