FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

how does the blade effects the spin and speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vishal01 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vishal01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how does the blade effects the spin and speed
    Posted: 07/05/2024 at 3:32am
Hi Respected members,
can someone pls point me some videos (youtube or some other video) or read which explains how does the blade effects the spin and speed.
to me it feels, rubber plays most of the role (in speed+spin)....

Thanks

Edited by vishal01 - 07/06/2024 at 3:09am
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2024 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by vishal01 vishal01 wrote:

Hi Respected members,
can someone pls point me some videos or read which explains how does the blade effects the spin and speed.
to me it feels rubber plays most of the role (speed+spin) in them....

Thanks

I think it's like two volume knobs that both have to be adjusted. If either is too far off, the setup is ruined.

The most important question never made sense to me.  

Edited by cole_ely - 07/05/2024 at 10:05pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2024 at 9:38am
Hi Vishal
Different blades will feel different to experienced players.
The main factors are :-

Weight

Balance (head heavy or not)

A heavier blade will affect how comfortable or tiring or not it is to stroke the ball. Also a heavy in the head racket, for me at least makes for a more confident feel on contact with the ball. If you haven't been playing long these things probably won't seem significant until you have played for a while.

and

Stiffness

This refers to the flexibility of your. racket. A carbon blade will not bend in your hand at all, whereas a 5 ply wooden racket will give way noticeably if you try to bend it (careful don't break it!)

The stiff racket will be faster than the one that flexes. Just as an Archery bow that is harder to bend will send an arrow further than one which is easier to draw. (As a boy I had a bow of about 30 lb draw weight, whereas my father used one of 70 lb draw weight, which was much more powerful )   

The simplest way for you to test this is to try a topspin brush stroke against a blocked return with a carbon racket and then try it with a plain wooden racket. The rubbers should be the same for each to make a valid test of course.
Provided that you are able as a beginner to execute a good brush stroke you should notice that the carbon racket is faster but the "throw" is less.
"throw" refers to the lifting effect which creates the typical high arc of a topspin shot while also making the ball spin. As a beginner you might not be sensitive to this difference because you have not built up the muscle memory to stroke in a certain way.
Myself I play with a non carbon wooden racket with which I can play strong topspin consistently. However If I were to try to use the latest very stiff carbon rackets then I would not be able to lift the ball easily because the stiff blade would be causing the ball to leave the racket fractionally sooner so that the ball would fail to arc over the net. I would require some hours or even days to feel comfortable playing with the carbon.
Note that hitting an incoming ball higher than the net would not be a problem and the ball would be moving faster than with the wooden one.
I would advise that as a beginner it's probably wiser to play with a racket of medium stiffness in your first year as the timing needed to spin with a super fast racket is difficult to acquire.

Being able to control the "Throw" and create a consistent ARC for your Topspin is VITAL for developing your game.
good luck

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 07/08/2024 at 10:17am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2024 at 10:31pm
There is also much to be said about how different rubbers of the same category, inverted, for example, can affect the control of the throw using the same technique on the same type of blade. In so far as brushing is concerned, the thickness or density of the sponge, does not come into play as much as does the friction of the top sheet.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2024 at 10:40pm
Furthermore, there are implement factor such as harmony between rubber and blade.
Please try combination of blades and rubber to experiment this eg.

Hard Blade and Hard Rubber
Hard Blade - Soft Rubber
Soft Blade - Soft Rubber
Soft Blade - Hard Rubber

Inner composite blade
Outer composite blade
5 plies
7 plies (especially clipper variant that are made with 7 almost near uniform plies)

To elaborate above
The "set up" have their own unique traits that one may like and may not be favorable.

- One who like blade with absorbing feel but still maintain power at strong stroke may like inner-composite blade. 

- For some front man who loves ball to leave the blade faster may hard surface blade, outer carbon blade but this factor are not relevant with end speed or power.

- For myself, like the predictable nature of 7 plies.

Im not quite sure what is the end goal of your study but the mechanic of stroke are more
significant than blade or rubber. Please accept my apology if this may be offensive.

I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
TacticalPaperclip View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalPaperclip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 1 minutes ago at 1:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic