Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vote for Lily!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Vote for Lily!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vote for Lily!
    Posted: 11/19/2019 at 8:47am
Hi,

The Matt H. article on the USATT website indicates Lily Zhang has been nominated for two ITTF Star awards.  He indicates the availability of voting on the ITTF website, however this feature I did not find self-evident.

Thanks,
"Speed kills but technical speed absolutely annihilates defenders." Mia Hamm
Sponsored Links

Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 8:51am
No Smile

**use a valid email or it will NOT count...
the link since it isn't actually there...(scroll down to "STAR POINT")

Edited by Charlie Brown - 11/19/2019 at 10:01am
*sigh*
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 10:12am
She's nominated for point of the year as shown above, and breakthrough star, along with Lin Yunju and Wang Chuqin.

While both the point and her progress are admirable, I think the other nominees are far more deserving.
W7 baby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

She's nominated for point of the year as shown above, and breakthrough star, along with Lin Yunju and Wang Chuqin.

While both the point and her progress are admirable, I think the other nominees are far more deserving.

The point of the thread is called "Support your athlete" Wink
*sigh*
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

The thread is about the ITTF end of the year awards and I posted my opinion about it. Thanks.
W7 baby
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 10:36am

All are very deserving.  Lin Yunju and Wang Chuqin both are much higher in capability in the Men's division than Lily is in the Women's.  

Thus stated, given all the factors of influence here, including comparative opportunities, I think selecting Lily is a valid choice with strong arguments to support her selection, including the highest value to the sport overall.

Thanks
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 10:38am

No Smile

**use a valid email or it will NOT count...
the link since it isn't actually there...(scroll down to "STAR POINT")

Thank you!

On the link there is no vote for ITTF Breakthrough Star.  This suggests that it will be determined by committee.  Lily will win.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 11/19/2019 at 10:43am
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 10:38am
I will vote for Mima Ito. After she lost multiple chinese players in the middle of this year, she stopped ITTF tour and trained for two months. After she came back, she got unbelievable results. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:02am
so many trolls not enough timeLOL
*sigh*
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:03am

The thread is about the ITTF end of the year awards and I posted my opinion about it. Thanks.

what is the "subject" of the thread?

Trolling – (verb), as it relates to internet, is the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument

Edited by Charlie Brown - 11/19/2019 at 11:07am
*sigh*
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:05am
The subject matter, regardless of the post title, is the ITTF star awards and my post was about that. DonnOlsen didn't seem to have any issue with me offering my opinion so stop gatekeeping. You're the troll here.
W7 baby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:08am
Topic: Vote for Lily!
my apologizes DonnOlsen...some Trolls need to understand...my last post here...the trolls can have the last word as it is their way Wink

if i hadn't posted the link, they would not have a say Clap if they actually voted at allLOL

Edited by Charlie Brown - 12/11/2019 at 7:04pm
*sigh*
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:12am
I'm definitely voting for Mima Ito for Female Star.  Who else is going to take down SYS, WMY, CM, and ZYL and has such serve mastery?  She had the self belief to forget about ranking and skip Paraguay so she could right the ship.  And boy did she ever!  My favorite player .... just amazing!

I'm torn between Lin Yun-Ju and Lily Zhang for breakthrough star.  LYJ has been amazing and doing it all year before he got injured so he probably deserves it more.  Lily's play at the WWC was phenomenal.  I'll give Male Star to LYJ so I can vote for Lily.  Hey I'm entitled to be partial, right Wink ?

I want to vote for Lily for Point of the year to underline how great she did at WWC, but that Xu Xin shot with FZD Matrix move in doubles was ridiculous.  They get point of the year.
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

I'm definitely voting for Mima Ito for Female Star.  Who else is going to take down SYS, WMY, CM, and ZYL and has such serve mastery?  She had the self belief to forget about ranking and skip Paraguay so she could right the ship.  And boy did she ever!  My favorite player .... just amazing!

I'm torn between Lin Yun-Ju and Lily Zhang for breakthrough star.  LYJ has been amazing and doing it all year before he got injured so he probably deserves it more.  Lily's play at the WWC was phenomenal.  I'll give Male Star to LYJ so I can vote for Lily.  Hey I'm entitled to be partial, right Wink ?

I want to vote for Lily for Point of the year to underline how great she did at WWC, but that Xu Xin shot with FZD Matrix move in doubles was ridiculous.  They get point of the year.

Breakthrough goes to LYJ or WCQ imo because of how consistently and clearly they've elevated their play since 2018. Lily had an amazing WWC, full credit due there, but the results at Pan Ams were not too far from expected, and as far as consistency over the course of the year goes, LYJ and WCQ get the edge. Also, objectively the improvement needed to make such jumps on the men's side are much greater than on the women's side.

Point of the year I feel that the Zhang/Hirano point was clearly the worst of the nominees and I have no bias. Hirano was smashing like an amateur and any good player would have been able to get back in that point.

Edited by idk - 11/19/2019 at 11:27am
W7 baby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 7:03pm
Congratulations LILY Clap

Clap Lily Zhang: 2019 Breakthrough Star!Clap

"Lily becomes the first American to receive an ITTF Star Award and is only the second player based outside of Japan to collect the Breakthrough Star award. She follows India’s Manika Batra who succeeded last year."

Edited by Charlie Brown - 12/11/2019 at 7:07pm
*sigh*
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 7:17pm
Thanks for sharing charlie brown. This is so inspiring. I got 2 daughters and Lily has everything a dad would like his girls to have in terms of grabbing life by the horns, whatever the route they get on. 

"Pay attention to what makes you feel alive!" is the one of the best quotes I ever read in my life, especially when supported by a person like Lily.

"ahem, college and tt make me feel alive."

"mmhh"

"They say I need to choose between the 2 though..."

"mmhh"

"well...I don't, I want it all."

DHS PPK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHS PPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 8:34pm
Just wondering if any reasonable table tennis knowledgeable person let alone “experienced expert” would not be perplexed and shocked as to why the break through star award was won by Lilly Zhang who is technically and factually a good player but with all respect (proportionally) is not a winner (against world class athletes) but conversely a loser (in a polite and respectful way to simply stronger and better skilled players). 

Arguably would not the other players rightfully nominated because of proven tournament wins against world elite class opponents - Lin Yun-Ju and Wang Chuqin be more deserving and give creditably to this award as otherwise it would make this “award” a bit like the Olympics as therefore also with no reasonable fairness as not based on merit but some sort of best of the rest lower level artificial competition? 

Just want to add that I respect and appreciate Lilly as probably one of the leading players in recent times (since current rule and equipment changes- ball specification etc) to represent north and central Americas but that does not make her a more breakthrough star than the other two real proven winners!
Da Hot Shot Ping Pong King - Ping Pong Fung Fu - shake hand Shoaling + pen hold flying dagger style
Loop to kill not kill to loop - gifted by nature - lazy by choice
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by DHS PPK DHS PPK wrote:

Just wondering if any reasonable table tennis knowledgeable person let alone “experienced expert” would not be perplexed and shocked as to why the break through star award was won by Lilly Zhang who is technically and factually a good player but with all respect (proportionally) is not a winner (against world class athletes) but conversely a loser (in a polite and respectful way to simply stronger and better skilled players). 

Arguably would not the other players rightfully nominated because of proven tournament wins against world elite class opponents - Lin Yun-Ju and Wang Chuqin be more deserving and give creditably to this award as otherwise it would make this “award” a bit like the Olympics as therefore also with no reasonable fairness as not based on merit but some sort of best of the rest lower level artificial competition? 

Just want to add that I respect and appreciate Lilly as probably one of the leading players in recent times (since current rule and equipment changes- ball specification etc) to represent north and central Americas but that does not make her a more breakthrough star than the other two real proven winners!
Disclaimer (that I wrote after the post): Really LYJ is special because since CCY we have not had many world class players in Taiwan so his breakthrough is awesome and the argument that he deserved the award as much as Lily is super valid but...read on.

It is very possible that an aura of intelligent politics was involved; encouraging North American table tennis with an honorific award was deemed more important than doing the same for a region already confirmed as leaders of the table tennis world. In other words, there is nothing extraordinary in Asia producing WCQ or LYJ (even though it's rarer in Taiwan), they do it all the time! it is extraordinary that a north American person reaches the 1/2 finals of the world cup, I think that's what they wanted to underline and encourage: the game in a whole region of the world. 

Well done ITTF!

Edited by stiltt - 12/11/2019 at 8:52pm
DHS PPK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHS PPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 8:52pm
just to also add congratulations nevertheless to Lilly as I for one would like to see Lilly become a real break through star to be a proven star player beating world class players.

With hindsight perhaps the other two should not be in this award category as obviously on another level!
Da Hot Shot Ping Pong King - Ping Pong Fung Fu - shake hand Shoaling + pen hold flying dagger style
DHS PPK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHS PPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 9:04pm
I fully agree and support your good above point here but Lilly is a player of Chinese origin and coached by former CNT coaches (hence notable performance improvement) so not that “native” as a non Chinese “American” representative/citizen.

I do not wish to get into a what is American or not nonsense debate as technically the American National team is Chinese influenced in reality. Which is probably why Lilly and her national team mates are improving so rapidly and as you say perhaps because they are not representing the usual table tennis power houses as to why she was nominated and awarded this award.
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 9:39pm

The fan vote being on an English only website probably has a large part to do with it. Seconding all your other sentiments, no discredit to what she achieved, but LYJ and WCQ objectively were much bigger breakthrough stars throughout the course of 2019.
W7 baby
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2019 at 9:55pm
WCQ was more a breakthrough star in the horseshoes branch of table tennis. I still can't believe it!
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 12:33am

I fully agree and support your good above point here but Lilly is a player of Chinese origin and coached by former CNT coaches (hence notable performance improvement) so not that “native” as a non Chinese “American” representative/citizen.
total b/s. She hires people to provide a service to her. Those people do their job, get paid and go home. We do not care the citizenship or former citizenship of the coaches. We care only about the right decisions the athlete made for their career and that is their endeavor, not the coaches': the coaches are just workers providing a service for a fee, no more.

I do not wish to get into a what is American or not nonsense debate ...
come on! you just did.

...as technically the American National team is Chinese influenced in reality.
what table tennis national team in the world top 10, 20, 30 is not? 

Which is probably why Lilly and her national team mates are improving so rapidly and as you say perhaps because they are not representing the usual table tennis power houses as to why she was nominated and awarded this award.
The b/s keeps coming. She improved because she made the right decisions. Again, we do not care about who she hired; those were workers doing the job they were getting paid for, not table tennis generous monks offering their knowledge free of charge.

Next thing you'll say is Kanak's success is not American because Stefan Feth as a coach and now his professional career in the Bundesliga make him some kind of German player more than an American one? euh...ok Wacko

Of course people train with Chinese coaches in America!!! they are everywhere. They get paid for what they do, it's not like they are volunteers. They do their job, they get their money, they embrace the American way of life and profit from it, they do not give more than what they receive, it's the other way around or they would fly back to China.

Anyway, have you ever seen a doctor repeating to patients that they are in better health thanks to their doctor's practice of medicine and so their life is not really theirs anymore? 

I will give you religious education then in addition of the good money you'll give me for that, I will partially own your soul and you will pray for me whenever I ask! LOL

kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 3:09am
Congratulations but honestly…..Lin Yun Ju is the real breakthrough star...or I haven't seen and understood anything this year about TT….
Nittaku Goriki 94gr, victas V15 extra 2mm, super do knuckle, 1,4mm
DHS PPK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHS PPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 8:38am
Gosh! This online forum is such a magnet for negative antagonistic snowflake keyboard warriors! 

Staying on point polite and courteous brings such (for want of better description) uncalled for back stabbing crap! 

To the educated reasonable and neutral fellow forum reader you will see that I in fact in my above post (do not even think about taking my words out of context!) indeed agree on a particular point with said nasty forum member and then the attack out of the blue for no substantive reason. Can forum members (at least those who save their anger management and aggression for the table tennis table) not simply agree to disagree as obviously one person’s view and judgment may not necessarily agree with yours but hey that’s aright is it not?! This is after all an online forum to include friendly debate amongst a community with a shared passion.

I asked not to debate an evidently sensitive topic (for obvious preemptive reasons) and yet the hypocrisy of referring back to it with some nonsensical unrelated work/income stream and medical stupidity! If I want the best medical advice I will keep that to myself and my medical specialist as this is a table tennis forum! And if I want the best table tennis coach then there is the obvious proven source of performance success and hence why although other favours are available no one is particularly interested! For the uneducated or those requiring assistance in this respect- it is common sense and knowledge that elite international sports people are by definition professional and chose sport for their economic well being as much as any other reasons as it is their job and income stream (bar high level younger amateur players and coaches of course!).

Finally please refrain from using b/s and other derogatory language as you do not need to prove your validity or true colours as your comments speak loud and clear and paints a picture of your personality and intent.

Expecting you to not give this up nor to behave with reason and politeness I am signing out as no doubt you will enlighten everyone with more joyful comments!
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 11:42am
dear dhs ppk, you try to write as elegantly as DonnOlsen but  you don't come even close; to your credit, you come closer than me. good luck and have a great day.

Edited by stiltt - 12/12/2019 at 7:11pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 12:46pm
North America mostly USA is the market ITTF is trying to grow because in the West...it's "THE" market to exploit.

Now that doesn't mean Lily's  pick was without merit certainly not.

Lily has great qualities befitting her as a "Great Ambassador" to represent North American Table Tennis:

• Lily is educated and exceptionally sociable, making her highly well spoken and charismatic in public.
  • Lily is an exceptional athlete and still maturing as both a player and a person.
  • Lily's rise in international rankings wasn't an accident, hard work and constantly pushing herself is making that happen.
These are just some of the qualities i am sure the committee has seen in her and ultimately chose her "well roundeness" to get the title selection. Manika also has similar attributes, they will be great Ambassadors of the sport going forward at and away from the table.

*Just my opinions on her getting the award. The other two do lack some of those qualities as we've already been shown by one of them. Wink

*sigh*
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

dear dhs ppk, you try to write as elegantly as DonnOlsen but  you don't come even close; to your credit, you come closer to me. good luck and have a great day.
uh

bloated postings
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

dear dhs ppk, you try to write as elegantly as DonnOlsen but  you don't come even close; to your credit, you come closer to me. good luck and have a great day.
uh

bloated postings

Dear bbkon,

You were banned and the mods allowed you back. Since then, you have been very active, please look at samples of your non bloated posting style.

I am learning from you! I'll try to get better and fit your high standards in the future, thank you for your invaluable forum post coaching.

Edited by stiltt - 12/12/2019 at 10:15pm
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2019 at 9:54pm

North America mostly USA is the market ITTF is trying to grow because in the West...it's "THE" market to exploit.

Now that doesn't mean Lily's  pick was without merit certainly not.

Lily has great qualities befitting her as a "Great Ambassador" to represent North American Table Tennis:

• Lily is educated and exceptionally sociable, making her highly well spoken and charismatic in public.
  • Lily is an exceptional athlete and still maturing as both a player and a person.
  • Lily's rise in international rankings wasn't an accident, hard work and constantly pushing herself is making that happen.
These are just some of the qualities i am sure the committee has seen in her and ultimately chose her "well roundeness" to get the title selection. Manika also has similar attributes, they will be great Ambassadors of the sport going forward at and away from the table.

*Just my opinions on her getting the award. The other two do lack some of those qualities as we've already been shown by one of them. Wink

Very well expressed, indeed!  

Your post stands as an excellent example of the type of thought exhibited by people in leadership roles when they are tasked with making the distinctions appropriate to this selection.  All three candidates were nominated because they were standout performers in their growth this year.  By being so recognized as viable candidates, all three are afforded the recognition they so greatly deserve.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic