Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

1 person per medal available

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Should we go back to 3 people per country at the Olympics singles?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [53.85%]
12 [46.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 person per medal available
    Posted: 12/03/2019 at 11:02pm
Should we go back to 3 people per country at the Olympics singles?

You know what? once again, reducing to 2 the people from one country at MS Olympics singles is a torture today after Ma Long's losses at the 2019 world cup. Watching a fight between those 3 ML, XX, FZD is the result of an unfair rule aimed at one country and the energy that was fueling the change was so negative: people can't express their talent because their country is represented enough so #3 on have to watch people less good on tv? what a joke!

If there are 3 medals available, then allow 3 people per country, period, that should not even be talked about. Positive discrimination in sports is not what sports is about.

It just sounds right for us humans, the possibility to have it all must remain alive! favoring losers is NOT the way to go in the Olympics.

Edited by stiltt - 12/06/2019 at 10:38pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 11:53pm
Yes, yes and yes!!!!
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Orange Sponge
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2019 at 12:53am
I think China went along with the change to give other countries a chance at a medal.  I don't think there was a lot of interest from countries who knew they didn't have a chance against China.  Fairness would dictate that a country could send 3 if they wanted.  I think there are other sports where only one or two competitors or teams from a country are allowed.  

Should the U.S. be able to send 3 professional basketball teams in an effort to win 3 medals?
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2019 at 1:18am
No because I like how the bronze match has become almost the most prestigious match for non-Chinese players to compete in. 

There are plenty of tournaments all year including the world's and all the platinum events where you get all the top Chinese. 
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2019 at 1:39am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I think China went along with the change to give other countries a chance at a medal.  I don't think there was a lot of interest from countries who knew they didn't have a chance against China.  Fairness would dictate that a country could send 3 if they wanted.  I think there are other sports where only one or two competitors or teams from a country are allowed.  

Should the U.S. be able to send 3 professional basketball teams in an effort to win 3 medals?

A bit different for team sports since there’s only one team per country but the whole team gets medals.  Maybe Olympics should go down to just one rep per country for singles And maybe a team event
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2019 at 7:49am
I'm from the US but I don't care if the Chinese sweep the medals if they have the three best players.

Regarding Ma Long, I hope they didn't  mess up his knee surgery.

Edited by Baal - 12/04/2019 at 7:50am
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2019 at 7:50am
This isn't a table tennis unique phenomenon. In swimming, 2 athletes are allowed per event due to USA historic domination.

My personal opinion is that its been good for the sport. Some unknown swimmers that I would never have heard of I will sometimes follow on a cursory basis especially if they're swimming on an NCAA team.

Edited by Chicobo - 12/04/2019 at 7:51am
Stiga Genesis x2 on Nexy Rubicon
Galaxy Moon/Air Illumina Alpha on Andro Temper Tech Off-
USATT 1620...Learning to play vs long pips
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2019 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

So all basketball teams of the world have lost interest because nobody cant beat USA?
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2019 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Chicobo Chicobo wrote:

This isn't a table tennis unique phenomenon. In swimming, 2 athletes are allowed per event due to USA historic domination.

My personal opinion is that its been good for the sport. Some unknown swimmers that I would never have heard of I will sometimes follow on a cursory basis especially if they're swimming on an NCAA team.
I didn't this was changed, but swimming has many events, maybe table Tennis should have a event for just 1 point in a knockout system, only pen holders, left hander's only events
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 8:24am
But now one of the top 3 German players lose a shot at playing.  All 3 of them have beat some top chinese players.  Each one is one of the best chances for a non Chinese Gold.

Edited by WeebleWobble - 12/05/2019 at 8:24am
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 11:58am
Yeah unless TT has pendhold/shakehand, lefty/righty, and chopper/looper/hitter/blocker events, it's not comparable to swimming LOL
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Originally posted by Chicobo Chicobo wrote:

I didn't this was changed, but swimming has many events, maybe table Tennis should have a event for just 1 point in a knockout system, only pen holders, left hander's only events
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 1:57pm
No, medals should be given to the best
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 2:08pm
Why stop at three then?  Make MS and WS nine round tourneys and let the best 512 players compete. That's enough for every national association send at least one player, and China could send twenty.  You might get some crazy runs from unknown players like in a tennis grand slam, somebody from Madagascar making the fourth round, stuff like that.  More players equals more fun.  Why does the Olympics have to be so effing serious?  It's still only sport.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Why stop at three then?  Make MS and WS nine round tourneys and let the best 512 players compete. That's enough for every national association send at least one player, and China could send twenty.  You might get some crazy runs from unknown players like in a tennis grand slam, somebody from Madagascar making the fourth round, stuff like that.  More players equals more fun.  Why does the Olympics have to be so effing serious?  It's still only sport.

Unfortunately there is only room for a certain amount of players at the host city.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

because there are only 3 medals to win?

512 is too much, I assume you are joking anyway but 128 like at a tennis grand slam sounds great, with 16 (like at the US open for example) or 32 spots gained through qualifications rounds to reach the main draw. The ITTF rankings would do the seeding. Of course 2 people per country GUARANTEED should be a rule so everybody participate.

Those "2 per country" actual rules are there to save money by paying less plane tickets and hotel fees for the athletes so it's a shame because the Olympics generate so much profit! The excuse to limit the domination of one country is bulloney.

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 8:34pm
Not this again.

I already debunked the notion that the 2 person rule is aimed at China.

FdT
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 8:41pm
Actually I was serious about 512 but I hadn't thought about the athlete's village and logistics.  It would just be cool to have an enormous tournament like that and see who comes out of nowhere and has their dream week at the best possible time.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 9:29pm
Forget about the medals. They should all have participation ribbons instead.

Anyway, other sports that have one single dominator are only 2 or 1 players instead as many as they wants, why tt can hv 3? 
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 10:04pm
The Olympics is too big
they should have all the racket sports in a different Country or play it at the Winter Olympic venue
then they could have more players
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2019 at 10:05pm
anyway I see the survey is on a no win result of 10 yes and 10 no
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2019 at 9:34pm
Was it unexpected a result? I can see why 50/50 happened (I did not expected it).

There is too much difference in value between WTTC/OG events and the rest.

Grand slams pro tour titles with almost as many ranking points and attached privileges than wttc and og will make the issue go away. It would be a quick and easy decision with low financial engagement with high results. You change a number, done! When that number gets higher, more players want to play, it is more difficult to win, it carries more weight in a trophy chain, the announcers and sponsors answer by competing for available spots so new revenue help the higher prize pools......ok all this needs to be verified but don't things work that way?

Create 4 events with ranking points close to the level of wttc and og; ask a big fee in an auction for the right to own the event in a given city in a given facility, a given year: ITTF do not spend money other than to function; they just control, sell licenses, get a cut on everything and impose their all powerful inspectors: nothing new, nothing dirty, just simple business so they can focus the rest of their working time on the game itself.

Those 4 pro tour slams ("the 4 PTS" baby!) should always reward less -ranking points AND money- than the WTTC and even less than the OG so the Olympic rhythm supported by the WTTC tempo remains solid as the skeleton of the global tt agenda, the way Liu Guoliang describes it. 

Edited by stiltt - 12/06/2019 at 10:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic