Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2013 China Trials for WTTC & HDVideos/Translations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2013 China Trials for WTTC & HDVideos/Translations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2013 at 1:49am
Originally posted by reflecx reflecx wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I think the real question is who she is.

She is Yang Ying, multi world champion in doubles and team. She is Liu Guoliang and Kong Linghui's contemporary, and is an insider to the sport and the Chinese team.

That's what I thought -apart from cultural considerations, when you realize she is an accomplished player, some of her statements are not as out of place as they may sound.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2013 at 2:12pm
PP Dui wrote:
"Two choppers were in in the second trial game was accredited to the high elevation where the games took place, it was said to be 3500 feet above sea level.   But i really think the girl played well, she beat ding ning and china national champ chen meng."
============================================

Is there a video of Hu Limei playing against Chen Meng somewhere?

(Chinese website may have a video of Hu Limei vs Wu Yang.)

Edited by skip3119 - 03/12/2013 at 2:49pm
skip3119
PP Dui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PP Dui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2013 at 9:44pm
I searched the websites, did not find the match between hlm vs chen meng.  It was a game in the group game stage, cctv did not televise the game.  I think nobody expected hlm to win, it turned out that she came out first by beating every one in the group.
funplay, enjoy the game
janus700 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janus700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2013 at 10:43am
@March 1, 2013

*HD-Video* 

http://www.youtube.com/Janus770 & https://www.facebook.com/TTJanus
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2013 at 2:48pm
Hu Limei was Ding Ning's practice partner for 2011 WTTC in Rotterdam. Netherlands.  Back then Ding Ning asked Hu Limei to practice with her a lot.  (Just in case that Ding Ning should play KIM Kyungah (KOR).

Not good in translation, but that's what I got from the original article that Ding Ning & Hu Limei played a lot together, at least back in 2011.  They know one another's game very well.

Shortly before 2011 WTTC (Rotterdam), Hu Limei became Ding Ning's "Royal Practice Partner". Not only they practice during training sessions, sometimes Ding Ning asked Limei to practice during the weekends.
===========================================

黑马曾是丁宁御用陪练

2年前,胡丽梅进入国家二队,但多数时间她的职责是一队主力们的陪练。“当时招她进国家队就是看重她的打法,说白了就是陪练”八一队教练侯蕊这样对记者说道。因为胡丽梅是削球生胶打法,与中国女队的主要对手金暻娥一样,所以在国家队的日子里,胡丽梅的主要任务就是模仿金暻娥,做主力们的陪练。

丁宁成为女乒主力初期,对阵削球手的成绩并不理想。所以在2011年鹿特丹世乒赛前,刚进队的胡丽梅也成了丁宁的“御用陪练”。

“那时丁宁找我练得最多,不仅训练课打,有时候周末补课也老叫上我,尤其是奥运会前,几乎每隔一天我俩都得练。”胡丽梅说,做丁宁陪练的日子里,俩人很少交流,多数时候都是丁宁让她回出怎样旋转和落点的球,她就照做。正是那段日子的接触,胡丽梅可以算是最了解丁宁球路的人,这也成为直通赛她两胜丁宁的重要因素。而她也表示,当主力陪练的日子自己进步最快。

胡丽梅认为作为削球手,自己的攻球比金暻娥好,在削一板的技术上不如金暻娥。但是为了练习应对金暻娥的削球,每次和丁宁对练,胡丽梅都只祭出削球,多数时候丁宁攻她半台重复落点,她回球削丁宁整台。这是做陪练正常的任务,也是所有陪练的悲哀。

“有想过不甘心当陪练,有一天当主力别人陪你练么?”

Edited by skip3119 - 03/13/2013 at 2:58pm
skip3119
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Originally posted by DragonSpirit DragonSpirit wrote:

This woman commentator always talk too much, so annoying! so rude!She think she's the best!

Well, this is all true, but... please remember that this language has its special tonal characteristics. Just as an example, some of the tones sound to the English language speaker rather impolitely in quite a few words and phrases, e.g. in associations of the high tone and the rising tone. Also, being assertive in speech is perceived differently than in English, and the "Chinese assertive talk" sounds ...well, very assertive. So, I would not say that they have rude people on their tv, at least that cannot be judged based on how they sound to us.
I've been bashing that woman commentator Yang Ying for ages, so annoying, off tune voice. Then when I saw Jagged's translation, things changed. She's keeps the conversation going and keeps things interesting, like a fact book. I like her! She could use a bit more color, like throw in some jokes. But, you can't have everything.
AJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 2:01pm
I feel that ITTF's commentators are either lacking in knowledge or lacking in the courage to stick their neck out.     Yang Ying is the opposite.      She obviously knows what she is talking about.    She is insightful in tactical analysis and not afraid of suggesting or predicting tactical maneuvers.      I am very impressed because more often than not, she is correct.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 2:22pm
The way I see it, Chinese TV commentators hold a lot more power in China than in USA and when they reach their position it means they are given a much higher moral authority allowing them to be far more severe and colder in their comments. The woman looked to me as competent in tt but it strikes me she does not care about the pain and hard work it takes to reach those players' level: she is just plain cold in her analysis and makes points that totally ignores the players as human beings: she talks about them like if they were dynamic objects in a closed system without a thought about their human condition. I do not find her a negative person; those places at the top of the tt pyramid are rare and those holding them know there is a price to pay: their life and every action will be dissected in any way possible to find a flaw. Many people will see it as valuable to keep the pressure on them and improve or maintain their high level.
I can see a direct correlation with any major sport: base ball commentators in USA can be so harsh on players as well; look also at all those tabloid newspapers and magazines going havoc on every flaw they can find on those attracting light on them. 
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 3:34pm
in part it's probably Yang Ying herself was a world champion. she has gone through it all
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 3:36pm
yang Ying is candid. she is not afraid of speaking her mind and will not necessarily use politically correct words
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 3:53pm
I suddenly find her nicer: if she has gone through the pain herself she definitely has the authority! 

Yang Ying
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yang Ying (Chinese: 杨影) is a Chinese table tennis player, born 13 July 1977 in Xuzhou, Jiangsu Province. She achieved Gold at several World Table Tennis Championships in either doubles or team play. She played right-handed Chinese penhold style. Her main techniques used were forehand and backhand speed drives. After retirement, Yang has been working as a table tennis commentator for CCTV-5 since 2008.

edit: I did not open the thread for a few days but I actually had read about her being top level in her prime.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 4:31pm
After checking the ITTF ranking, Yang Ying was in top 10 women in 2001, and in top 20 in 2002 & 2003.  (She is a penhold attacker.)
===============================

After some searches, here is how Yang Ying plays. No idea when this happened.

Under 17 young players challenging the world top players.

Yang Ying vs Erik Lindh.
(Not sure this was one of the challenge matches, or an extra activity in between challnege matches.)
(Erik Lindh was among Sweden's top players back in the J. O. Waldner's days. Erik won the 1988 Olympics TT bronze medal.)

(revised) Video direct from Chinese website: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/kplzjQAL_4Q/
(This is a non-split video uploaded in 11-15-2007. The event may have happened shortly before that.)

Edited by skip3119 - 03/14/2013 at 7:11pm
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 5:45pm
At the beginning of the Part 1 video above, there were some Chinese words on the screen.  Not sure if it was a challenge match between Yang Ying and Erik Lindh, or it was an extra activity in-between challenge matches (for U17 youngsters).

Someone knows Chinese better than me can certainly help out.

(Anyway, that's how Yang Ying plays.)
skip3119
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

At the beginning of the Part 1 video above, there were some Chinese words on the screen.  Not sure if it was a challenge match between Yang Ying and Erik Lindh, or it was an extra activity in-between challenge matches (for U17 youngsters).

Someone knows Chinese better than me can certainly help out.

(Anyway, that's how Yang Ying plays.)

"4TH edition U17 Juniors Challenge, Match #5"
"Center Court Activity"
"Erik Lindh Vs. Yang Ying"

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 6:26pm
roundrobin wrote:

"Center Court Activity"
===================================

I believe the match between Erik Lindh & Yang Ying was not a challenge match of the event - the event was for young players under 17.
The game was to 11 points, that means it was played in 2001 or after (11 points per game was introduced in 2001)
Yang Ying was born in 7-13-1977, in 2001 she was 24 years old already.
(I googled above information and found out that later.) 
====================================

At first I thought it was a challenge match, then I saw some Chinese words indicating it was some kind of extra activity in-between matches.

I believe it is "in-between matches' activity". (Like football's half time's entertainment activity.)

Then again, what do I know anyway?

Edited by skip3119 - 03/14/2013 at 8:51pm
skip3119
janus700 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janus700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 9:15pm
# March 3, 2013

*HD-Video* 

Edited by janus700 - 03/14/2013 at 9:20pm
http://www.youtube.com/Janus770 & https://www.facebook.com/TTJanus
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

roundrobin wrote:

"Center Court Activity"
===================================

I believe the match between Erik Lindh & Yang Ying was not a challenge match of the event - the event was for young players under 17.
The game was to 11 points, that means it was played in 2001 or after (11 points per game was introduced in 2001)
Yang Ying was born in 7-13-1977, in 2001 she was 24 years old already.
(I googled above information and found out that later.) 
====================================

At first I thought it was a challenge match, then I saw some Chinese words indicating it was some kind of extra activity in-between matches.

I believe it is "in-between matches' activity". (Like football's half time's entertainment activity.)

Then again, what do I know anyway?

It's literally translated as "Center Court Activity" but in this case you are correct, "Center" can also mean "in the middle", so "in-between" is correct based on the context that it was obviously an exhibition.  "Court" is the direct translation of the Chinese character used on screen in this case, but it can also mean "match".  Well, as you can see, Chinese is quite complicated... LOL

Edited by roundrobin - 03/14/2013 at 10:39pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 11:28pm
At the very beginning, I thought it was a challenge match.  But somehow I didn't feel it right.  After reading your post, I did quite a few googling and convinced myself that it was not a challenge match.

I have since revised my previous post.  That game probably happened shortly before 11-15-2007 - long after Yang Ying stopped active competition. I could tell she must have been a darn strong player when she was active in competition.

Top 10 is very hard to achieve, in 2001 she was among top 10 of the women players.  So, this commentator really knows table tennis.

skip3119
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2013 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

The way I see it, Chinese TV commentators hold a lot more power in China than in USA and when they reach their position it means they are given a much higher moral authority allowing them to be far more severe and colder in their comments. The woman looked to me as competent in tt but it strikes me she does not care about the pain and hard work it takes to reach those players' level: she is just plain cold in her analysis and makes points that totally ignores the players as human beings: she talks about them like if they were dynamic objects in a closed system without a thought about their human condition. I do not find her a negative person; those places at the top of the tt pyramid are rare and those holding them know there is a price to pay: their life and every action will be dissected in any way possible to find a flaw. Many people will see it as valuable to keep the pressure on them and improve or maintain their high level.
I can see a direct correlation with any major sport: base ball commentators in USA can be so harsh on players as well; look also at all those tabloid newspapers and magazines going havoc on every flaw they can find on those attracting light on them. 

Actually she is much nicer than that, if you only look at the translation it may seem cold cause her tone is not in it. Yang Ying is the last good penhold player in CNT women't team, just one step away from the great Dengyaping, Wangnan and Zhangyining, she has paid everything required to get there. She is a full time TT commentator and has covered almost all the major events for CCTV, I've watched her interviews many times too, she really has a passion for TT and holds very good relations with the whole CNT. 
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by atv atv wrote:

Actually she is much nicer than that, if you only look at the translation it may seem cold cause her tone is not in it. Yang Ying is the last good penhold player in CNT women't team, just one step away from the great Dengyaping, Wangnan and Zhangyining, she has paid everything required to get there. She is a full time TT commentator and has covered almost all the major events for CCTV, I've watched her interviews many times too, she really has a passion for TT and holds very good relations with the whole CNT. 
yes; 2 posts later after what I wrote that I knew more about her. I posted too fast the 1st time. Thank you for the info.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 12:43am
Originally posted by DragonSpirit DragonSpirit wrote:

This woman commentator always talk too much, so annoying! so rude!She think she's the best!

She is the best commentator in the world, based from her playing experience and results, understanding of the game and commentating skills.

Its so much better than boring ones that just say wow, look at that shot, what a beauty, no wonder he/she is the best in the world, this is some top class table tennis, what a backhand shot, what an amazing forehand shot..... duh,,,, I can see it - please can you tell me something I can't see etc

She talks so much in a sense that a non player can understand the game, while she talks enough sense for the Pro players themself to understand why and how the point was won or loss.
Technically speaking, she is the best I have come across.

I as a coach has learnt so much from her commentating that it has helped me pinpoint some strategical mistakes of my players.

Too bad you don't really understand a word she says

Edited by ZApenholder - 03/15/2013 at 1:04am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 12:46am

Originally posted by atv atv wrote:

yes; 2 posts later after what I wrote that I knew more about her. I posted too fast the 1st time. Thank you for the info.

Yeah, well Chinese people is not as pyramid approach as you think.
They won't let people with no "weight" to critize them.
Most of the time - who ever is at the top, work his/her way there.

Look at LGL, a pure harsh coach, but he has gone through what he preaches
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 12:58am
What I meant is the players at the top of the pyramid are stars and must accept criticism; it's the price tag that comes with stardom so harsh or not she does her job and I thought she was so precise. I never really criticized her; I just was observing her apparent coldness and precised the players can't avoid taking it because their superior condition. I am sorry I reached the wrong way.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 1:05am

What I meant is the players at the top of the pyramid are stars and must accept criticism; it's the price tag that comes with stardom so harsh or not she does her job and I thought she was so precise. I never really criticized her; I just was observing her apparent coldness and precised the players can't avoid taking it because their superior condition. I am sorry I reached the wrong way.

My Bad Smile

Rainman_mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman_mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 4:08am
Thanks for a great share. May be ZJK is still hurt but XX is simply awesome here. That game saving point by XX at 7:10 in game 3 shows how tough XX is at the moment. Like to see the damage he did to Ma Long as well. Looking forward to the CTTSL final next week.   
TT over Study View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT over Study Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 4:12am
yang ying's a bit annoying imo, more interesting commentators imo: liu guoliang, huang biao, li xiaodong etc
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 4:49am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

She talks so much in a sense that a non player can understand the game, while she talks enough sense for the Pro players themself to understand why and how the point was won or loss.
Technically speaking, she is the best I have come across.

I must admit I thought the exact opposite. As an example, the nonsense she said about the top players having poor form in their strokes compared to lower level players.

LGL had to correct her in this instance and many others. Perhaps she was intentionally saying stupid things to make LGL look good, I don't know.

I obviously don't understand Chinese culture but I still think she was unnecessarily harsh on WH. I wonder if she came across him while she was still playing and he was a youngster coming up through the ranks and didn't like him (e.g. viewed him as cocky).

As for the argument that she paid her dues as a player. I would make a few points:
  --She did not achieve nearly as much in the woman's game (in singles, which is what counts) as what WH has in the men's game. I would cringe at Patty Schnyder calling Roger Federer weak after a 5 set loss to Djokovic and this seems like a similar situation to me.

--A good player doesn't necessarily make a good commentator. I can think of lots of examples in other sports. E.g. John McEnroe and Jim Courier were both multiple grand slam winners but one of them commentates the socks off the other IMO.

--Some top players got there partly because of the way they could analyse their game and improve and how they could analyse and counter their opponent's games. Others got there because they could do this instinctively without necessarily being able to explain it very well.

DragonSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 9:54am
I don't believe yang ying play better any top 20 male players, she just try to get attentions from her commentates, to show that she know something about table tennis in a loud tone of voice.
I remember a few years back, she criticised about Ma-long forehand for OVER EXAGGERATED movement loops/poor techniques? Can she loop better than Ma-long??? If she can't play better the top players, don't Criticise about their techniques.
li xiaodong is so much better than her.

Edited by DragonSpirit - 03/15/2013 at 9:58am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 10:15am
I dislike yang ying too, I think she sometimes exaggerates too much and has her own bias for certain players and against certain players, kinda like the drunken commentator at ITTF except not that friendly LOL... Liu Guoliang, on the other hand has a very deep knowledge of the technical and mental side of table tennis, it's a pity he does not work as a commentator :( . Qin Zhijian is also another one, just listening to him commentate Hao Shuai's match against Fan Zhendong was really enlightening. The players themselves don't really know how to commentate though, it's the coaches who are the best IMO.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2013 at 1:37pm
There is no doubt that the coaches know how to speak very well, especially in the 1 min break.
I think also with the Chinese language, you can get so much more things through in 1 min, compared to English or any other language.

Regarding Yang Ying, I didn't hear the one with her and LGL recently.
In fact I don't have much time to watch games, just read up on the results etc.

Yang Ying is very good in commentating strategic and skills. This is something similar to NBA commentators who knows what plays are being run and also make recommendations for what the opponent needs to do too. This can enlighten viewers a lot more than just pretty words about what a beautiful shot.

In fact, let me go and listen to how LGL and YY commentated and I will see what all the fuss is about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic