Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2016 WJTT Championships
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2016 WJTT Championships

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 11:43am
FZD is 15 when won this title. Not bad for the Haramoto kid to win it at 13. 
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 11:45am
Best ever final in a long while.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 11:46am
Originally posted by TTslurp TTslurp wrote:

He is not from earth. The only obstacle from an early world title is if he can keep his ambition and stay free from injuries in the long run. 

I think he is 13.
Blocking won't get him a world title. I think it'll be a dead-end no matter how good he gets at it (and he is already the best). He will become stronger as he muscles up with the years to come (unless he has a Niwa Koki-type build). So his forehand attack will naturally become a bit stronger. Will it be enough to beat the Chinese at the senior level? Somehow I doubt it.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 11:48am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Looper vs blocker - advantage to the looper.

Who got killed by the blocker's 3rd ball on the Championship point.

Edited by zeio - 12/07/2016 at 11:50am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 11:54am
How many are now?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 11:57am
BTW both Niwa Koki and Matsudaira Kenta were world junior champions.
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

He is not from earth. The only obstacle from an early world title is if he can keep his ambition and stay free from injuries in the long run. 

I think he is 13.
Blocking won't get him a world title. I think it'll be a dead-end no matter how good he gets at it (and he is already the best). He will become stronger as he muscles up with the years to come (unless he has a Niwa Koki-type build). So his forehand attack will naturally become a bit stronger. Will it be enough to beat the Chinese at the senior level? Somehow I doubt it.

I don't think he only blocks. I will call it fast drive instead, he can add spin and speed to the ball and create a lot of pressure for the looper, forcing him to make errors. His blocking/driving game is more aggressive than Kenta Matsudaira. His backhand opener is also very good. His forehand can improve as he gets older. It's hard to say he will beat the Chinese at the senior level but I think he can be a very strong opponent for them, like Timo Boll or Ryu Seung Min in their prime.

But the kid is really annoying. I'm not often pissed off by "choing" but the way he does it before and after every point is annoying. And there is also the stomping before returning serve. They look like signals of weak mental to me, but somehow it works for him.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:03pm

BTW both Niwa Koki and Matsudaira Kenta were world junior champions.

Cho stopped doing the tactic that was hurting slow loop to corner then fast loop.

Japanese do right at earlier days then they fade
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:03pm
Hopefully Haramoto will not become a loud Niwa koki. The table tennis world is boring enough with one Niwa Koki.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Hopefully Haramoto will not become a loud Niwa koki. The table tennis world is boring enough with one Niwa Koki.
Can you stomach a loud FZD LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:19pm
The arrogant loud as f**k has got some nerve. He didn't do the handshaking with the bronze and silver medalists before stepping onto the podium. He went straight up instead.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:27pm

I think he is 13.

You aren't going to loop past anyone at 12 years old at the world class level as he is not strong enough.  His game will evolve as he gets older to looping and his blocking will be another wall/fall back.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Then he wasn't a blocker.  He didn't win the match with his blocking.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:39pm

Then he wasn't a blocker.  He didn't win the match with his blocking.

Lucky him there was no chopper
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:44pm
Haramoto must be the youngest ever world junior singles champion at 12 years of age. He will be a even more powerful and complete player when he reaches adulthood.

Watch out china !

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/07/2016 at 12:46pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by balldance balldance wrote:

They look like signals of weak mental to me, but somehow it works for him.

For now.  Time will tell.  Pretty amazing win though.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:53pm
In China, his current style wouldn't be defined as blocking. His so-called blocks are called 快帶(literally quick guide) in Chinese. Considered a neutral stroke(between offense and defense), it's different from blocks in that there is a small forward motion of the arm as opposed to staying static for blocks. There is also a small amount of grazing contact. Nothing new, has been in use since the 60s against loops. Can be done on forehand and backhand.

So technically, his style is 近檯快攻結合弧圏(loosely close to the table topspin fast attack, with an emphasis on fast attack).

Edited by zeio - 12/07/2016 at 1:11pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:53pm
ITTF sucks to no end, I want to see Harimoto vs Xu in the quarters...probably the best match of the tournament, and it is nowhere to be found.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Haramoto must be the youngest ever world junior singles champion at 12 years of age.

He's 13 and a half (born June 27, 2003). But yes, the youngest ever.

Also noteworthy:
The Romanian girls' doubles win was only the second non-Asian gold medal in the history of WJTTC (the other being Patrick Baum in boys' singles in 2005).
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

ITTF sucks to no end, I want to see Harimoto vs Xu in the quarters...probably the best match of the tournament, and it is nowhere to be found.

That was round of 16 and on table 5. How do you know it was "the best match of the tournament"? 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 12:59pm

Come on. That match was on table 5. Streams for table 1 and 2 only.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Krislupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krislupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 1:22pm
My Summary of the WJTTC
Japan provided their best team in years at the Championship. Their women were clearly the strongest as a unit.
China failed to match the Japanese girls. I don't believe China's teams were any weaker than in previous years, as demonstrated by Shi Xunyao's title, and Yang Shuo reaching the semis after not being one of the frontline players in the Teams.
The two boys from Korea were also formidable, they simply repeated their success over China in the Asian Juniors. The strength of Japan Girls and Korea's boys were responsible for China getting only one gold medal.
The Chinese Coaching and Management team ought to pay attention to this result. I think some kind of complacency even arrogance is creeping into the Chinese Juggernaut,due of course to their never ending dominance. I think they should look again at exposing more youngsters at the Under 21 Pro Tours and raise the limits on the number of their players that can play at junior and senior Tours. A page out of Japan and Korea's book should help in that regard.
Nevertheless I don't think much will change in the foreseeable future in the world of table tennis.
clarity at all times
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

That was round of 16 and on table 5. How do you know it was "the best match of the tournament"? 

Deleted

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/07/2016 at 1:29pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 1:29pm

Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Haramoto must be the youngest ever world junior singles champion at 12 years of age.

He's 13 and a half (born June 27, 2003). But yes, the youngest ever.

Also noteworthy:
The Romanian girls' doubles win was only the second non-Asian gold medal in the history of WJTTC (the other being Patrick Baum in boys' singles in 2005).

Yes, European players have been dissaponting since
Werner Schlager won the world singles title back
in 2003, Paris.

Asians have dominated world table tennis
for The last 2 decades. Europe need to
unearth more waldner, schalager and Samsonov
to be able to compete with Asia.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 2:18pm
7 Gold Medals on offer:

Japan won 3:  Boys team, girls team and boys singles.
Korea won 2:  Boys doubles and mixed doubles.
China won 1:  Girls singles. (Shi Xunyao saved the day, avoided being shut out.)
Romania won 1:  Girls doubles.
skip3119
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 2:18pm

I don't for sure, so I want to see....it is deuce in the 7th. Nonetheless it should be available.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 2:29pm

The arrogant loud as f**k has got some nerve. He didn't do the handshaking with the bronze and silver medalists before stepping onto the podium. He went straight up instead.
It is not him; it is the JNT boys team coaches, no handshake with the bronze and silver medalists at the teams ceremony too.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 2:31pm
Shi Xunyao, girls singles gold medalist, was born 7-16-2001. (15 years and 5 months old.)
She was admitted to the female CNT-B (2nd team) in April this year.
(Following reference is in Chinese.)

Update:  Younger than Ito Mima (10-21-2000) and Hirano Miu (4-14-2000).

Edited by skip3119 - 12/07/2016 at 3:02pm
skip3119
AgReZz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgReZz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 3:20pm
I believe those shitty plastic balls might help Harimotos style a bit. The ball drops very fast and its easier to block it.  However I dont think this kid is truly special talent like FZD. FZD has it all. This kid will lack power thats for sure.  I believe he will reach top 20 in the world easily but top 5 ? probably not.

It will be interesting tho to see how his style changes when he matures.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by AgReZz AgReZz wrote:

I believe those shitty plastic balls might help Harimotos style a bit. The ball drops very fast and its easier to block it.  However I dont think this kid is truly special talent like FZD. FZD has it all. This kid will lack power thats for sure.  I believe he will reach top 20 in the world easily but top 5 ? probably not.

It will be interesting tho to see how his style changes when he matures.

Keeping this in a time capsule for 2020 and 2024.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic