Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2019 Men's world cup, China Nov. 29-Dec 01

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

Love the posts writing off ma long.

Man came back and beat every form player in the world due to his ranking dropping, and kept winning every tournament. 

He loses to harimoto and suddenly its over. 

Full credit to harimoto as i am a fan of his and ML, but writing off ML on his 1st tournament since another injury is premature as he clearly was lower % in any type of point or shot, hence why he struggled in all of his matches, which was noted and pointed out by harimoto after his win.

If ma long stays fit for any sustained period of time, he is the favourite to win any tournament he enters. 

I totally agree...The biggest enemy of Ma Long right it's another injury...

Edited by flash - 12/01/2019 at 12:19pm
Hurricane Long 5, FL

T05, 2,1 mm, black, fh
T05, 2,1 mm, red, bh.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 1:41pm
Wait, what?  Didn't Harimoto retire when so many people on here said he should cause he had no fh and had peaked already?  What is he doing in the Final of MWC?

Guess ML is the one who has to quit now.  Ok, he is the world champion, true, but that was months ago. What has ML done for us lately?

Edited by BRS - 12/01/2019 at 1:42pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Wait, what?  Didn't Harimoto retire when so many people on here said he should cause he had no fh and had peaked already?  What is he doing in the Final of MWC?

Guess ML is the one who has to quit now.  Ok, he is the world champion, true, but that was months ago. What has ML done for us lately?

TH wouldnt have played the final if ML would not be injured. And yes he has no FH
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 9:39pm
I think some of the opinions here about ML's performance think the results have more to do with his physical ailment. I wonder if there's more than that. The game also has a mental side and we know Ma Long had to overcome mental walls a few years ago before he started to dominate. Even LGL had made some comments about it. I wonder if his confidence is in trouble these days. The pressure must be enormous as well. He's the captain after all, the expectations on him are very high.

Hopefully he can overcome whatever it is that is impeeding his game. 

Harimoto played quite well, and this being the second time beating ML is quite an accomplishment. Harimotos game against FZD was somewhat close as well, even taking 2 games from him.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 12/02/2019 at 9:41pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

I think some of the opinions here about ML's performance think the results have more to do with his physical ailment. I wonder if there's more than that. The game also has a mental side and we know Ma Long had to overcome mental walls a few years ago before he started to dominate. Even LGL had made some comments about it. I wonder if his confidence is in trouble these days. The pressure must be enormous as well. He's the captain after all, the expectations on him are very high.

Hopefully he can overcome whatever it is that is impeeding his game. 

Harimoto played quite well, and this being the second time beating ML is quite an accomplishment. Harimotos game against FZD was somewhat close as well, even taking 2 games from him.

FdT

I m not sure.its a little bit suspicious that ML played that way , maybe is a plot to downplay  yourself so the opponents think yore weak, wasnt  ML playing bad before worlds and chinese media said he was done before the worlds? Or maybe he s keeping himself for the olympics
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2019 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

I m not sure.its a little bit suspicious that ML played that way , maybe is a plot to downplay  yourself so the opponents think yore weak, wasnt  ML playing bad before worlds and chinese media said he was done before the worlds? Or maybe he s keeping himself for the olympics 
==================

CNT may not even select him to play singles in the Olympics - with this kind result of the World Cup.
I agree with an earlier poster in that CNT will select FZD and XX to play singles.
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 12:18am
" I m not sure.its a little bit suspicious that ML played that way , maybe is a plot to downplay  yourself so the opponents think yore weak, wasnt  ML playing bad before worlds and chinese media said he was done before the worlds? Or maybe he s keeping himself for the olympics " - mykonos96

Ma Long played alright, if you asked me.
Except for some placement issues and reactions speed probably due to lack of match and mental conditioning.
But definitely not because he is keeping himself for the olympics.
The fact that he lost to two up and coming youngsters in this competition; so close to the olympics, means that in the eyes of these two ( and any others ) that he can be beaten.
Their coaches will drum into them day and night that they beat him and they will beat him again and they will of course will ready for him.
Whether Ma Long will play singles or at all in the Tokyo Olympics on his conditioning between now and then and while I would like to see XX in the singles, I would not be surprised if Ma Long and FZD are their singles players.
Iloveplayingtabletennis
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 12:31am
There is no way they can do that to ML. ZJK went to London and not Ma Long when ML was totally dominating the year before that event. Then ZJK was certainly not better than FZD in 2016 and he went anyway; he had 2 chances, ML will have his second chance as well, assuming what he gave us at the 2019 world cup is the absolute worst of his game, which I believe (momentary lack of speed and too many fh drives and loops he should not miss even 10 years from now). 
Let's not discard so easily a 3 times in a row world champ and current Olympic champion, those people know how to react from a downturn and no doubt ML will fix it, he has the time to  get ready and peak in Tokyo.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 3:09am
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

" I m not sure.its a little bit suspicious that ML played that way , maybe is a plot to downplay  yourself so the opponents think yore weak, wasnt  ML playing bad before worlds and chinese media said he was done before the worlds? Or maybe he s keeping himself for the olympics " - mykonos96

Ma Long played alright, if you asked me.
Except for some placement issues and reactions speed probably due to lack of match and mental conditioning.
But definitely not because he is keeping himself for the olympics.
The fact that he lost to two up and coming youngsters in this competition; so close to the olympics, means that in the eyes of these two ( and any others ) that he can be beaten.
Their coaches will drum into them day and night that they beat him and they will beat him again and they will of course will ready for him.
Whether Ma Long will play singles or at all in the Tokyo Olympics on his conditioning between now and then and while I would like to see XX in the singles, I would not be surprised if Ma Long and FZD are their singles players.

ML needed 6 games almost 7 to beat gauzy .that made me think  he wouldnt reach rhe final. Some shots that ML could have looped he just looked and stopped  running and when he played LYJ was like I m not running for that
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 3:19am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

There is no way they can do that to ML. ZJK went to London and not Ma Long when ML was totally dominating the year before that event. Then ZJK was certainly not better than FZD in 2016 and he went anyway; he had 2 chances, ML will have his second chance as well, assuming what he gave us at the 2019 world cup is the absolute worst of his game, which I believe (momentary lack of speed and too many fh drives and loops he should not miss even 10 years from now). 
Let's not discard so easily a 3 times in a row world champ and current Olympic champion, those people know how to react from a downturn and no doubt ML will fix it, he has the time to  get ready and peak in Tokyo.

Exactly. Xu Xin lost to Gauzy in a bad way in the World Championships which pretty much excluded him from the Olympic Singles. It's pretty much Ma Long and Fan Zhendong for the Olympic singles, and Xu Xin for teams and doubles...
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: TinArc 5
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 8:41am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Exactly. Xu Xin lost to Gauzy in a bad way in the World Championships which pretty much excluded him from the Olympic Singles. It's pretty much Ma Long and Fan Zhendong for the Olympic singles, and Xu Xin for teams and doubles...

it's frustrating that this is even a discussion.  All 3 should plays singles.  Damn ITTF.
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 10:51am
people overreact based on one tournament - keep happening
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 11:11am
Ma Long is 31 and now past his peak combined with his injury may force him to reconsider the long process of trying to regain his prior playing level which may or may not be possible.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 11:31am
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

Ma Long is 31 and now past his peak combined with his injury may force him to reconsider the long process of trying to regain his prior playing level which may or may not be possible.
Clap

This is the best emotionless and professional remark to describe what probably is the CNT's mindset atm: "We respect the champion but we are not in the fairy business."
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

WLQ played yokohama 2009 final at 31 so I think ML can pull  one more tournamenmaybe reach the final.many people thought ML wouldnt win  the 1st round at this year WTTC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 1:00pm
"people overreact based on one tournament - keep happening"

Not true at all.

Ma Long has lost several times as far as I can remember:
Twice to FZD (2019 Japan Open, 2019 Asian Cup), 
Lost to Xu Xin (Korean Open), 
has lost twice to Harimoto already (2018 Japan Open, 2019 Men's World Cup), 
lost to WCQ (2019 Australian Open).
Lost to LYJ in the T2 Diamond.

Ma Long has won 
the 2019 World Championship (vs Mattias Falck), 
2019 Quatar Open (vs LGY), 
2019 China Open (vs LGY).

If theres any other tournament he's won (2019) I don't know about it....

So no, not just "ONE" tournament....
Ma Longs accomplishments are amazing, no one is gonna deny that, but it does look to me like he is not dominating as he used to. 

I mean, for a while he truly seemed unbeatable! That has changed.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 12/03/2019 at 1:02pm
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 1:40pm

"people overreact based on one tournament - keep happening"

Not true at all.

Ma Long has lost several times as far as I can remember:
Twice to FZD (2019 Japan Open, 2019 Asian Cup), 
Lost to Xu Xin (Korean Open), 
has lost twice to Harimoto already (2018 Japan Open, 2019 Men's World Cup), 
lost to WCQ (2019 Australian Open).
Lost to LYJ in the T2 Diamond.

Ma Long has won 
the 2019 World Championship (vs Mattias Falck), 
2019 Quatar Open (vs LGY), 
2019 China Open (vs LGY).

If theres any other tournament he's won (2019) I don't know about it....

So no, not just "ONE" tournament....
Ma Longs accomplishments are amazing, no one is gonna deny that, but it does look to me like he is not dominating as he used to. 

I mean, for a while he truly seemed unbeatable! That has changed.

FdT

obviously not as dominant as before but no chance to play singles in the Olympics and have to quit?

Edited by tom - 12/03/2019 at 1:41pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 2:16pm
where and when did I say he has to quit?!?

FdT
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 2:25pm
my initial comment was not referring to you in particular - I did not quote you - if you read this thread thoroughly  others said it recently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 2:39pm
I see. Perhaps you can quote the overreactions you mention. I might even agree with you.

On my post I tried to established that Ma Long has a bit of a losing streak compared to the tournaments he's won recently.

FdT
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

FZD and XX for singles, and ML for doubles

SYS and LSW for singles, and DN for doubles.

ML and DN are just too "old" to play singles at the moment. DOn't think it is safe to let them play singles at their current conditions.
this is for Fulan
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 2:52pm

this is for Fulan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 3:01pm
I see. I wouldn't make too much of their opinions.

Only one person can make the decision to retire or not. And that person is Ma Long himself. Perhaps his doctor may have an educated opinion about it as well. Certainly a more educated opinion than anyone posting here.

I think there's still some game left in him. We'll see.

FdT
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 3:06pm

I see. I wouldn't make too much of their opinions.

Only one person can make the decision to retire or not. And that person is Ma Long himself. Perhaps his doctor may have an educated opinion about it as well. Certainly a more educated opinion than anyone posting here.

I think there's still some game left in him. We'll see.

FdT
yes, it is a physical thing
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

this is for Fulan
BRS was being sarcastic of course.
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

this is for Fulan
BRS was being sarcastic of course.
he could have been
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 4:00pm

What harimoto has done in latest worlds and worlds team beside crying  like a girl?

Edited by mykonos96 - 12/03/2019 at 4:00pm
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2019 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

What harimoto has done in latest worlds and worlds team beside crying  like a girl?
although he kind of deserves it he is still young and vulnerable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic