Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5th ball (your 2nd attack)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5th ball (your 2nd attack)
    Posted: 01/04/2012 at 3:08pm
This is something I need help with and have been trying to focus on.  My game is almost pure offensive, so I loop/hit every serve I can and when I serve I go for 3rd ball attack.  What I'm struggling with currently is my 2nd attack. 

Example,  I serve straight short backspin, my opponent pushes or touches back, that's the ball I attack.  I'll loop that ball either backhand or forehand, really fast and spinny.  %90 of the time, my opponent blocks that straight back at me and sometimes goes for an angle.  The problem is, I don't think I recover fast enough to go for another big hit. 

Question is, should I just attack again?  Should I block?  Should I try and play an angle? 

Ty in advance. :)

Edited by Swiff - 01/04/2012 at 3:09pm
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

This is something I need help with and have been trying to focus on.  My game is almost pure offensive, so I loop/hit every serve I can and when I serve I go for 3rd ball attack.  What I'm struggling with currently is my 2nd attack. 

Example,  I serve straight short backspin, my opponent pushes or touches back, that's the ball I attack.  I'll loop that ball either backhand or forehand, really fast and spinny.  %90 of the time, my opponent blocks that straight back at me and sometimes goes for an angle.  The problem is, I don't think I recover fast enough to go for another big hit. 

Question is, should I just attack again?  Should I block?  Should I try and play an angle? 

Ty in advance. :)

You should attack again.  After your opening loop you should move your feet back at least 10" automatically to give yourself room to re-loop.  It's the same principle as basketball:  long shots (opening spinny loop) long rebounds (ball returning deep to you).
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 3:32pm
RR has given you one option right there. another insight is that you are committing too much into your first attack. if you don't recover fast enough, you might want to go for a 75% power shot that's placed well and set up for the next shot (5th ball). 

so in your example, you can do serve, 3rd ball spinny to fh or bh, force a weak/high block, then loop drive for the win. 

now if you do go for the 100% 3rd ball shot, then your only course of action if the ball comes back to you is to block (if you haven't moved back as RR indicated).

hope that helps.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

strikewzen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strikewzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 3:33pm
if the opponent is good enough to return most of your best 3rd ball attacks with a block, then you should not put so much effort in it.

instead put just enough pace and to a place he cannot attack on 3rd

then the 5th should be easier to attack than the 3rd (higher bounce, ball leaves table, he opens up forehand corner etc) so you may choose to go all out here

imo it's like poker, the better player gets a 60% vs 40% jump on each ball you play well, and overtime through calculation you have higher chance of winning the match

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 3:40pm
If your opponents are blocking your third ball attacks 90% of the time, you might consider placement over power.

Being able to hit either corner or the elbow with a third ball is more valuable than hitting a powerful ball int to a blocker.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 3:52pm
i think your 3rd ball attack is a faster drive loop closer to the table than a spinner loop, correct me if i am wrong. What i have noticed is spinner loop(nice trajectory and lot of ball rotations) are hard to block place and it usually also gives you more time for recovery by stepping side back and being ready for 5th ball top spin rally or smash depending on the return from your opponent.
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 4:06pm
I often let my opponent open and block the first loop back. I love playing mindless loopers who swing hard but have no ability to place the ball accurately or follow up a shot. Easy points for me.

Better players will open with a 70% loop with good placement and loop to the corners until I am out of position and then they will go for the winner. It might take 3, 4, or 5+ loops.

Against a consistent looper like this, I will go on the attack.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 4:34pm
Very good advice from all of you.  I can't believe I haven't thought about back off a little after first attack.  Because after it, I usually stay centered and close to the table.  *_*

I'm going to try both repositioning and placing %70 power loops tonight.  :)

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 4:39pm
yep, pretty much everyone is saying the same thing. hopefully that gives you some more ideas on what might be helpful for you and your style.

ps: on your 3rd ball kills. exactly how wide are the angles? are you able to go about half way up the side of the table yet? it's been something that i've been working on lately and it's quite effective. you basically do a heavy spin loop with a short arc and very wide angle. it ends up landing on the front half of the table but the angle is so wide that either ppl won't get to it or you get an easy put away.

Edited by tpgh2k - 01/04/2012 at 4:41pm
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

yep, pretty much everyone is saying the same thing. hopefully that gives you some more ideas on what might be helpful for you and your style.

ps: on your 3rd ball kills. exactly how wide are the angles? are you able to go about half way up the side of the table yet? it's been something that i've been working on lately and it's quite effective. you basically do a heavy spin loop with a short arc and very wide angle. it ends up landing on the front half of the table but the angle is so wide that either ppl won't get to it or you get an easy put away.

Yeah, I can hit decent angles.    I can usually get about half way up the side on my forehands, depending on where the ball I'm attacking is, of course.  I've always put a lot of practice on hitting angles, especially with backhand blocks.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 6:02pm

Very good advice from all of you.  I can't believe I haven't thought about back off a little after first attack.  Because after it, I usually stay centered and close to the table.  *_*

I'm going to try both repositioning and placing %70 power loops tonight.  :)

Just remember it's always easier to come in to the table from far away to execute an attacking stroke than backing out too late and then trying to execute a forward stroke again.  Never stand too close to the table. 
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2012 at 12:11pm
Another option is to shorten your back swing to decrease the cycle time of your stroke. Strengthen core muscles.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2012 at 2:26pm
Good news.  Last night I worked on taking a step back after I first attacked and I was making at least twice the shots I was on 2nd attack!

I was able to hit much better and with more confidence after moving back a step, I was also ending a lot of points doing this. 

Thanks! :D
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2012 at 2:31pm
nice!! now you need to teach me how to get my brain to accept taking a step back after an opening loop.....
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

nice!! now you need to teach me how to get my brain to accept taking a step back after an opening loop.....

Just force yourself for the first few times.  It'll probably feel like a bad idea for a while, but then you'll realize you're winning more points.  :]
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2012 at 3:31pm

Good news.  Last night I worked on taking a step back after I first attacked and I was making at least twice the shots I was on 2nd attack!

I was able to hit much better and with more confidence after moving back a step, I was also ending a lot of points doing this. 

I am glad it's working for you... See, I am not always acting like an ass... Wink LOL

Edited by roundrobin - 01/05/2012 at 3:37pm
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

I am glad it's working for you... See, I am not such an ass... Wink

Though I don't post much anymore, I still read the forum from time to time. After reading this thread, I too took your advice and it made a good deal of difference in my game today.

I found myself not getting jammed as much and much more prepared for the second attack... if it was even necessary. Evil Smile

So, thanks too. 

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic