Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6-10 down in the 5th?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6-10 down in the 5th?
    Posted: 02/19/2010 at 5:48pm
what are your tactics?
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 5:51pm
Same as always . . . one point at a time. If you think of the score AT ANY TIME you will either ease-up or press. Ball by Ball, which leads to point by point.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 5:52pm
Pack your mental bags baby...you are going home
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 6:07pm
Its a really good one this, If you win you were right, if you lose you were not, but there is a formula you can work to that increases you chances.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 6:18pm
must play relaxed, one point at a time. it can happen. FIGHT!
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 6:29pm
Serve hard and short, push even harder.

Outside of that, totally depends on the player I'm facing, no one tactic or strategy can beat everyone.
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 6:50pm
Luck is what you need not tactics.  Think about it, how do you end up in the situation?  Either your opponent got some lucky points or he is a better player.  Either way you cannot beat him without luck on your side.  So start praying :)
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

Luck is what you need not tactics.� Think about it, how do you end up in the situation?� Either your opponent got some lucky points or he is a better player.� Either way you cannot beat him without luck on your side.� So start praying :)

Well you pray for providence, not luck... but you can improve your play and become the better player with better tactics.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

what are your tactics?

I've been in a similar situation, I was down 4-9 in the fifth. Since my game clearly wasn't working, I knew I had to do something, and since I'm usually a defender, I changed my game and started to attack, which actually helped me to turn the game around and I won it 11-9.

How ever, going one point at the time is always good advice. The hardest part, according to me, is if you reach 10-10, cause then I feel like mission is completed and relax. I've lost numerous of those, so always keep your eyes on the prize.

I watched Chen Weixing fight back from 2-10 to win 12-10, against Wang Liqin and I always reminds my self of that when I'm trailing, cause if Chen could turn it around against Wang, then I know that everything is possible!
The holy grail
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

Luck is what you need not tactics.  Think about it, how do you end up in the situation?  Either your opponent got some lucky points or he is a better player.  Either way you cannot beat him without luck on your side.  So start praying :)
 Not sure I'm with you there mate, I think If I was the guy on match point, I would really love playing you. This luck/ he's better than you thing, look at the question again, you are in the FIFTH game here, you have won two sets, he's not clearly a standard above you or you would have not won two sets, this is tactics, purely, I have lost matches and won them from this situation.
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 7:47pm
I think this is a good time to take a chance, the person up 10-6 is more than likely going to play more conservative and passive, so this would be a good time to put the pressure on him/her. I think the pressure is higher on the person up 10-6 to finish the match so I say use that against the opponent. Also staying mentally tough doesn't hurt.
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 8:13pm
start lobbing to entertain the audience
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 8:21pm

Its a really good one this, If you win you were right, if you lose you were not, but there is a formula you can work to that increases you chances.
does it mean you are about to share with us a plan to come back from 6-10 in the 5th?
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

does it mean you are about to share with us a plan to come back from 6-10 in the 5th?

Like I said above, I don't think you can have just one set strategy of attack against all opponents. I imagine it would change depending on what worked in the previous 4 games and what they seem to have problems with.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 8:27pm
you take it 1 point at a time and to relax you need to think about those sid theories to make you smile =)
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 9:10pm
Cho loudly staring him down every opportunity you get?

(not really, just felt like saying it)

tac�tic

�noun
tactics (def. 1).
a system or a detail of tactics.
a plan, procedure, or expedient for promoting a desired end or result.

NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Yes, but its really late around here I'm going to bed, there is some strateries on this though, leave you lot to comtemplateLOL
jpingchow123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 10:48pm
Start aiming for the edge or net and pray you can pull off a lucky point LOL
Amultart CS
Bryce Speed 2.1
Tackifire Special Soft 2.1

YEO
Bryce Speed 2.1
Tackifire Special Soft 2.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 11:08pm
timeout... if you have one?
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 11:11pm
NEXY Lissom st 85g
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 12:50am
I was half-joking when I said "start praying".  But seriously, unless you are a much better player, you need major luck to come back from 6-10 (or your opponent chokes big time.  Something that's also not in your control).
I have not come back from 6-10 against a decent player in TT yet.  But I came back from 1-6 and 2-6 in the last set tie-breaker in a tennis match a few times.  The thing I remember about these matches is I believed I could win and played hard.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 3:27am

Your opponent choking can be within your control if you can start him thinking that he is going to choke. I tend to play the ball down the middle of the table with extra spin and make him decide whether he wants to try and make something happen. If he misses one or two then you are back in it. If he plays too passively then you can get yourself back into it.

I beat the same player twice last season from behind. The first time, I was 10-3 down in the fifth and the second time I was 2-1 and 10-2 down. You just have to put that doubt in their mind.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 5:37am
I'm with JKC, if you are 6-10 down and make it to 8-10, a realistic target, you can heap pressure on the opponent by putting doubt in his mind, luck can play a part, but you could be also unlucky. To take the situation of 6-10 and look at it as a whole is too daunting, play each point and re-evaluate after each one, all this only applies is you are 'in the game' but you should be if you have gone to five anyway.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 5:49am

In my opinion have to play point by point but the more agressive and difficult way to the adversary. That is assuming more risk. Trying to avoid rally playing. Putting pressure by feeling your adversary your game and confidence have changed and have raised. That he can lose the match even being 6 - 10.

It was interesting the way xu xin wins the match against mizutani in the asian finals after mizutani awsome playing. he raised his agression taking more risk but a more determined way. fearless.

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Freddddd View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddddd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 6:57am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

+1
pongp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Freddddd Freddddd wrote:

Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

+1
If there is an audience...

LobbedYoud0wn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LobbedYoud0wn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 12:49pm
am i the only one here who needs good tactics to win when UP 10-6 in the 5th? Ermm
ttCrawsaive View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttCrawsaive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2010 at 3:32pm
I always use the same tactic if I'm 10-9 down in the fifth:
If its your serve: Long fast out spin serve with topspin, normally you get high ball back, because your opponent doesn't wanna take a risc. He'll normally try to push it, than it's yours, don't think, and just give a fast spin to the backhand.

It's my tactic, always, and I've always won the point at that moment :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ttCrawsaive
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2010 at 4:05pm
Happened to me quite a few times recently. And I think it pays to play at least as aggressively as you played before that. Don't let this nervous situation to make you tight and rigid, or become passive. That's the sure way to lose.

Just some examples from the last 2-3 weeks.

1) was losing 0-2 in the finals of U-2000 of the official tournament. Figured out the right strategy, came back 2-2. In the fifth my opponent also realized how to handle my new game, and started beating me. He led 9-5 when I realized in turn there was not much for me to lose, so I upped my game and won 5 in a row and had a match point (championship point, so to speak). I still lost but I am proud to have played aggressively and not getting scared.

2) was losing 10-6 in the fifth to a very good player in the club. Then won two by attacking almost immediately and not allowing him to use his screwy medium pips. Then served fast into his pips so that gave me an opening to attack and won both serves. Then won 13-11.

3) was losing 10-3 (not in the fifth, though) in a club game. Then I completely relaxed and started attacking with lots of spin (which my opponent doesn't like) instead of usual back-and-forth pushing that we had with the guy previously. Won the game.

So, to recap - becoming passive and/or rigid with fear to lose the final point is a mistake. It takes some time to overcome that natural (but erroneous) inclination to play safely.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2010 at 4:14pm
right strategy Jim.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic